twelve

A Taste of Temptation

 

Something loud rings in the air and I groggily wake up. Realizing that it’s my phone, I maneuver my way off the bed to reach it while Jongin groans and buries himself under the covers. I clear my throat in an attempt to sound awake before I answer.

 

“Hello?” Stumbling, I eventually make it to the kitchen for a glass of water.

 

“Daeun hey—did you just wake up?” 

 

“Kind of?” I glance at the clock. 10:37. “What’s up?”

 

Luhan chuckles. “Good morning sleeping beauty. Anyway, I think you’re gonna want to hear this...”

 

 

 

We arrive at blinking lights and yellow caution tape. The area is away from the main parts of the city, but a few passerby's cast curious glances at the scene. There’s a lot of blood in the alley lane, maroon smeared across the concrete walls. Officials crowd around, zip something up.

 

“Is it him?” I ask, watching the body bag lifted away.

 

Kris runs a hand through his hair. “Yeah. It was Reeve.”

 

 

 

The coroner rambles off about all the findings, pointing at the bruises on the neck or the lacerations on the abdomen every once in a while. I find myself zoning out a couple of times and I have to rock on my balls of my feet to keep myself awake. Just as I think I’m about to finally slip away into sleep, Sehun enters the room, proudly sporting the SHC emblem pinned to the pocket of his button up shirt.

 

“My training is almost done. But I am now a fully certified field agent.” He says, grinning.

 

“Yeah? Well, I guess that means you have to start calling me boss now, eh?” I prod, and he rolls his eyes. I don’t think so, his expression tells me and I laugh.

 

“Anyway, what’s happening here-” Sehun pauses when he notices the body. “Wait, I know him. I’ve seen him before.”

 

“When he was alive, he did mention that he knew you. Too bad Reeve’s dead now, we could’ve gotten more information out of him.”

 

“I didn’t ever talk to him though... Reeve? That’s not Reeve.” Sehun says, brows furrowed in confusion.

 

“Of course-Wait, what?” I express.

 

He shakes his head. “I’ve seen him before, but his name was Yoojun.”

 

“How do you know his name was Yoojun? How did he know that you had a sister with a four pointed star on her wrist?” Jongin asks, and Sehun leans against the wall.

 

“Whenever I turned back normal, I always went to this recovery house that was open to vampires. The owner was a Division I, Lay, with healing abilities and cared for the injured. I’d always see him there, badly hurt. Cuts all over his face. He said his name was Yoojun. But I don’t know how he

would know about Daeun...I didn’t ever talk about her to anyone.”

 

I catch a whiff of death emanating from the body and I cough. “This house, where can we find it?”

 

 

 

This ‘safe’ house is a two story building that could pass as a subunit housing system. Lay, answers the door on the second doorbell ring.

 

“Sehun!” He exclaims as he catches sight of my brother. They pat each other on the back before he turns to Jongin and I. “Ah, and guests, come on in! Make yourself comfortable.”

 

Lay rushes around the kitchen to brew tea and after a while, I realize that his smile is dimpled and exudes an innocent, happy charm that starts to rub off on me and makes even Jongin relax. We introduce ourselves, and he says we can just call him Yixing (Lay is just a name that’s easier to pronounce for the majority). Then he begins to talk animatedly and cracks jokes like a professional comedian that brings laughing tears to my eyes. His personality matches his ability, both healing and soothing at the same time.

 

“Now,” He starts, setting down his mug and ruffling his chestnut brown hair. “I’m sure you didn’t just come here to chat. What’s bothering you all?”

 

“Sehun says that when he used to come here, he’d see this guy.” I slide a picture of Reeve, or Yoojun, to Yixing who examines it and then nods. “Do

you know why he’d call himself a different name, not his on record name?”

 

“Yeah. He was a regular. Used to come here when he was severely injured. Broken ribs, bruises, cuts. You name it. As for his name, I had an inkling that what he gave me could have been a made up name, but I didn’t push it.” He passes the polaroid back. “Did something happen to him?”

 

Sehun nods, tracing a finger along the handle of his tea cup. “Yeah, he’s dead.”

 

“Ah.” Yixing nods, surprised but not stunned. “I guess they finally got to him.”

 

This peaks my interest and I lean closer, cold granite counter biting onto the skin against it. “Who’s they? What more can you tell us?”

 

“Not much. When he’d be recovering, I would listen to whatever he had to say and most times he talked about random things. But sometimes he’d talk about being scared of failing again, and that they could kill him if he wasn’t careful. He never did mention any specifics, only that he worked for them and that they were dangerous.”

 

“Anything else? Like where he lived?” Jongin inquires, and Yixing tilts his head.

 

“It’s a run down place in Yongsan-gu. It’s the only apartment complex that has five stories. It’s not hard to find.”

 

I dial a number into my phone. “Kris, I want you to get two others and take a trip to the Yongsan district. Look for an apartment building that has five stories. Once you get there, ask to find Reeve or Yoojun.”

 

There’s a rustling of fabric. “Alright. Why?” 

 

“We think that it can open up new leads. We’ll meet you there.”

 

“Got it, boss.”

 

The line disconnects, and I stand from the couch. “Thanks, Yixing. You’re help was vital. Thank you for taking care of my brother, too.”

 

“No problem. I just hope everything works out.”

 

Jongin starts up the car while Sehun and I help Yixing put away the dishes. He shoos us away once they’re placed in the sink and we obey. Before I leave the door, he calls me back.

 

“Here.” A slip of paper is placed in my hands. “Go to this address. She’ll help you there.”

 

“She? Help?” I ask.

 

“Someone’s been following you right?”

 

“How do you kno-”

 

“Because she predicted that they would. She also knew that you’d eventually find your way here, and I was to lead you to her. Go alone, though. No

one else can be trusted because their mind is too easy for them to access. But they can’t access yours, so you’ll be fine if you keep quiet about it.”

 

I find this extremely suspicious. But Yixing is serious and sincere, I can tell. So I take the paper, wave once more, and head to the car. 

 

“What’d he say?” Jongin asks, turning out of the subdivision.

 

I think about it, feel the words on the tip of my tongue. But I calm myself down so I don’t worry him through the bond. “Nothing to worry about.”

 


Happy birthday Baekhyun!