six

A Taste of Temptation

 

“Vampire-human hybrids can be considered normal beings.” Kyungsoo says as he hands me a file on the latest murders. He works as a field agent as well as a vampire specialist. “But...” His eyes linger on the manilla folder he hands to me, looks away. “Awakened hybrids, are just as malevolent and gone as a Division III, if not even more. There is absolutely no realistic way to give a hybrid its’ humanity back.”

 

He waits, I realize, until I nod or show some kind of understanding, and then says, “I just wanted to let you know before you do something irrational. I’m not saying that Sehun is going to turn into a raving, blood-thirsty monster, but I am very sure there is no definite way to save him from being a vampire.”

 

“I know.” I reply, my voice quiet and slightly shaky. It’s a small detail that the average human would overlook, but I’m sure Kyungsoo’s supernatural hearing easily detected the hesitation in my voice.

 

“Look, I know you probably haven’t told a lot of people or vampires that your brother is a hybrid that happens to be a Division I, because you’re worried. You’re worried about Sehun, and yourself, and that’s completely normal. But sooner or later, you’re going to have face him again, and maybe that time will have to be as enemies and not as siblings. When that time comes, and you don’t shoot your gun with the intent to kill, people are going to question where your loyalties lay, especially since you own a high position in the SHC department. I advise talking to the Superintendent sooner, rather than later.”

 

“You know, Kyungsoo. You should look into being a psychiatrist. There’s a lot of people out there in this messed up world who could use your advice.”

 

He laughs and places a hand over his heart, the gesture so human it’s almost innocent. “I just might.”

 

 

The manilla portfolio weighs down in my arms as I unlock the apartment door. I assume that Jongin’s out somewhere because all of the lights are off, leaving only the headlights of passing cars and the half moon to light up my passage through the living room, then into my bedroom. Sighing, I slip into sleepwear before heading back out with the file to look for something to distract my stomach. After much searching I eventually settle with a pastry that could be considered the offspring of a donut and an apple fritter. 

 

I sit on the kitchen table and hunch over the stack of papers. The first case presents a polaroid of a bloody decapitated body. Kim, Melissa. Female. 16. From her bio, she seemed to be a popular and down-to-earth girl with an honest, pure personality. In a way, it stirs something within my mind because she was only a year younger than me. Too young to have lived properly.

 

All of the next cases are similar, and patterns make my job a lot easier even when vampires are much more unpredictable than serial killers. There’s the usual carcass drained of blood. Multiple lacerations. Similar locations. A whole range of ages, the youngest being a fifteen year old male. When I’ve almost reached the end of the cases, a slip of a thicker piece of paper falls out. 

 

I didn’t feel like it was safe to discuss what I’m about to tell you out in public. So I hope this has found you well, Daeun. 

 

After you asked me if it was possible to save a hybrid’s humanity, I did quite a bit of research on the subject. And I came across a whole book entirely on a secret human coven that set out to change their vampire loved ones back into humans. I looked more into the Reditus cult (surprisingly they’re still around) and found a few cases where they were successful. I know I probably said there are no natural ways to change back a vampire, and I wasn’t lying. There is none. But the methods they used, were sinister, almost like black magic. In a way, it’s like bringing back the dead. 

 

These reviving methods were applicable to hybrids and even natural vampires, too. Now, here’s the catch: they don’t completely regain their humanity. However, it does save Division III’s in their final stages. When I say they don’t come back completely, I mean that‘revived’ vampires turn into people capable of being killed as easily as any other human, and their ‘human’ emotions returned, but they come back as humans even more dangerous than a Divison I. For some reason, although they lose the perk of being immortal, they gain this supernatural power that far exceeds the abilities of even the strongest Division I vampire.

 

In other words, they’re weapons of mass destruction.

 

The coven has gone into hiding for a couple centuries already. Their methods of bringing back vampires silently taken with them. I’m sure you could probably manage to find a descendant or something and pry the information of out their mouths, knowing that you are the Daeun that everyone admires for your sheer luck and ability to get something if you really want it. But say that you managed to bring Sehun back, and then a group of vampires or humans decided to demand for the power of obtaining these new ‘beings’ and getting it. Well all hell would break loose. 

 

Now I know that you want to bring back your brother, but just keep this in mind. If you save one, you risk unleashing that kind of power to anyone who wants it. 

Sorry for the information overload,

Kyungsoo

 

The door clicks open and I hastily shove the note back into the pile of papers. Jongin walks into view wearing a dark olive green coat with a white crew neck sweater underneath. His cheeks are slightly flushed from the cool weather outside. 

 

“Where’d you go?” I ask, swinging the chair around to face him and popping another piece of flaky bread into my mouth. 

 

“Do you remember Ahn Mi?” He answers with another question while he slips off his coat. I shake my head. “Well, she’s someone I used to, uh, cater to back at my old job.”

 

Nodding, I picture the fair-skinned girl he was with when I first visited his work place and I slide the manilla folder away. “Anyway,” He continues. “I ran into her and we caught up. The last time I saw her she was barely eighteen. I was shocked, she got prettier since then.”

 

“Oh really?” I say, my mood unexplainably turning sour. “Love to hear more, but I’m off to bed.”

 

Picking up the folder, I stand and start to walk away. But Jongin’s a lot faster, so he blocks my path. “You’re going to sleep? Now? It’s only 7:30.”

 

“Yeah, well, I had a long day at work.” I emphasize. Although, even I don’t know the point of emphasizing my words. “Let me through.”

 

And then this annoying smile pops on his face like he knows something. “Wait, you don’t even want to see what I got you?”

 

“I’m sure it can wait till the morning, Jongin.” I say, trying to side pass him rather unsuccessfully. Giving up, I lean into the back of a chair. “What is it?”

 

“Open it.” He hands me a bag sealed tightly shut. “I ran into Ahn Mi at the mall while I was getting this.” 

 

I basically have to tear the bag apart in order to get to its contents, and when I do, something soft spills out. Unraveling it, I realize that it’s a black infinity scarf with flecks of gold in it. While I was untangling the material, an object dropped to the ground and I bend to pick it up. 

 

“Remember those? I always used to get those for you because you liked them so much.” Jongin smiles even wider and the box in my hand gets heavier. “But then one day, you said you didn’t want them anymore.”

 

“Yeah,” I reply, sliding off the cover and revealing chocolate formed into seahorses and shells. “I remember.”

 

“Oh, and this is for whenever you go out because I saw on the news it’s getting colder. I think tonight it’s below zero outside.” He wraps the scarf around my neck and continues, “There were all sorts of colors, but I thought maybe you’d like the most neutral one, right? It suits you well.”

 

I don’t know why, but I feel like running. Like I should get out before something bad happens. Kind of like that feeling you get when you’re watching a suspenseful movie and you can’t help but place your hands over your eyes and peek out between them. My head tells me to take all these surfacing emotions that I get when I see Jongin smile like that and push them away, into the corner of my thoughts. But my heart’s silent. Not saying to run, but not saying to stay either.

 

“Thank you. Jongin.” I manage.

 

“Anytime. So don’t be mad about Ahn Mi. I’m not interested in her like that.”

 

“Why are you telling me that like I care?” I scoff and place the cover back onto the chocolate box. He shrugs and with a chuckle ruffles my hair, at which I wince and raise a hand to pat it back into order.

 

“Because maybe you do.”

 

With a shake of my head I say, “Goodnight” then head for my room.

 

“Night, Daeun.”

_

 

“Are you okay, Daeun?”

 

I glance up at Luhan with a questioning stare. He looks down and I follow his gaze. A layer of pancakes and blueberries sit uneaten, but mangled to pieces on my plate. I hold the fork like a serial killer holding a knife.

 

“Sorry. I don’t know why, but I’m not in a great mood.”

 

“We can see that.” Kris says, taking a large swig from his orange juice before popping the last sliver of a pancake into his mouth. “But why?”

 

I shrug. “Does there have to be a reason?”

 

“No. But you’re hardly ever mad without a reason. So what is it?” Luhan throws back and both lean forward intently. Sighing, I have no choice but to come up with a vague, yet good enough reply that’ll hopefully satisfy most of their questions. 

 

“I was fine when I got up. But then the coffee machine jammed, and I couldn’t find my phone, so my morning didn’t start so well.” 

 

“Well, frowning will give you wrinkles.” Luhan replies with a playful grin. Then with a small laugh, he leans back in his seat with his arms crossed.

“This doesn’t have anything to do with Jongin going out on a date, right?”

 

Kris nods his head. “Now that you mention it, Jongin did say that Daeun has been in a ‘fantastic mood’ ever since Ahn Mi came back into town. But that’s not it, right, Daeun?”

 

Apparently, my answer didn’t suit their preference too much.

 

“Okay, you two are completely making things up now. Stop trying to amuse yourselves at my expense.” I huff, setting the fork back down onto the wooden table.

 

“Oh, Daeun. If only you knew-”

 

“If only she knew what?” 

 

I flinch at the sound of Jongin’s voice and instinctively ask, “Where did you come from?”

 

He seats himself into the chair next to me and turns towards me with a surprised expression. “From the agency?”

 

I open my mouth to retort, but the ringing of my cell interrupts. After I receive the message and hang up, I stand to leave. “The secretary called and told me that the Superintendent wants to speak with me.”

 

“I’ll go with you.” Jongin offers but I shake my head and pat his shoulder.

 

“No, no. You just got here. Plus, I heard social activities are healthy.” I say, waving a temporary farewell to the three of them. Before I turn away, Luhan mouths something to me.

 

You like him too much, don’t you?

 

 I shrug. Maybe.