twenty one

A Taste of Temptation

 

“I guess I should thank you for making my job a bit easier.” The vampire stalks towards me in a slow, steady manner; his gaze taunting and almost feline, like a feral cat finally closing in on the prey its be hunting for weeks. “You see, that underground fortress there used to be some sort of safe haven back in the day that vampires used to hide from humans. The whole place is lined with some ancient magic that repels. Of course that’s been modified so that now only certain beings are allowed access, and anyone else who isn’t invited is locked out.” His voice is melodic like music, but lacking the comfort. In my periphery, the sun’s making its way back into bed behind the mountains, turning the sky a weeping red. 

 

“Did you know we almost caught you once? We were so close on your trail, but something distracted us. Do you know what it was?” A bell jingles and he throws something next to my feet. It’s Snow’s collar, but how does he have it? It should be back in my room, on the dresser- “It was your dog, carrying your scent. Too bad we had to do away with him, it was such a cute dog.”

 

I feel my foot take a cautious step backwards. Dark eyes warn me not to move any further. “It seems that someone was protecting you from the very beginning, placing you under a shield so you’d go undetected.” A reptilian smile. “But now we’ve got you, isn’t that nice how that works out?”

 

“You were put away, into SHC custody. How are you here?” I ask.

 

“My boss came to retrieve me a few days ago. In all the chaos that’s been happening, no one’s even noticed my absence in that dudgeon of a place they locked me in.” A mocking laugh reaches my ears. “You know, you sort of put me there, but hey, no hard feelings, right?”

 

No hard feelings. Sure. “Who are you? What do you all want from me?” I sputter, skin crawling as he slinks even closer.

 

“I can’t tell you just because you want to know, where’s all the fun in that? We just don’t want you to get in the way of our plans.” He hums and comes to stand just a few feet away. “But you see, in order to make sure that you don’t mess it up, we need you dead.”

 

I have no time to even scream before the man closes the distance at an inhuman pace and something cold and metal pushes through my stomach. Red eyes are the last thing I see before I’m away into the dark, sweat beading on my forehead and my heart pounding out of control.

 

The room is lit dimly by the light entering from underneath the door. Dreaming, I think as I stumble around haphazardly around to flip on the lights, only dreaming. Taking in a deep breath, I manage to swallow down a few gulps of water from the cup on the bedside table. My body is still shaking, mind still reeling from the realistic dream. I have to keep repeating to myself that I never left the warehouse, that I am safe in my room. To convince myself even further, I grab Snow’s collar that’s sitting on the dresser just where I left it. The green strip of leather grounds me to the reality that everything had been just a dream no matter how real it had seemed.

 

I take a quick shower to relieve the lingering nerves, the heat smoothing out the tension in my shoulders. When I’m relaxed again, I dry off, and settle back under the covers. When I realize I’m still too restless, I pull on a thin oversize sweater with some dark comfortable jeans, and make my way out into the main parts of the underground facility. According to the bond, Jongin’s somewhere in a restaurant with Sehun, and probably Luhan as well. 

 

The underground place is much like a smaller version of a city. There are restaurants and cafes, two movie theaters, a bookstore, and much more, all serviced by the humans that reside here. I still don’t understand what this place is, but I’m determined to find out soon.

 

When I get there, only two other tables, three in total, are being used. I find them seated at a round table, laughing. I notice food(and my stomach growls) as well as glasses that look like they’re filled with something suspiciously alcoholic. All three look completely wasted, although Jongin looks the worst off, giggling like a school girl and slapping his hand down on the table. I eye him with curiosity because he’s drunk, but he rarely ever drinks unless it’s a birthday party or, like I said, he’s in pain. Or maybe even if something is bothering him.

 

“Daeun!” Jongin calls when he sees me and he waves me over. “Come sit. I’ll grab a chair for you...or you can sit with me.” His smile is sloppy as he pats a small portion of free space on his seat.  I resist the urge to just push him completely off the chair and see how he copes, but maturely I drag a chair from an empty table and position it between Sehun and Luhan, nowhere near him. He pouts in a manner that makes me confused on whether or not I want to laugh and ruffle his hair, or scowl and step on his foot. I choose neither and stay planted in my seat.

 

“So what brings you here, Daeun, at,” Luhan checks his watch. “2:47 in the morning, hm?”

 

“I woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep.” I cross my arms and sink a little into my chair.

 

“Why couldn’t you sleep? Was my wittle sister having nightmares?” Sehun coos and I glare at him, which proves ineffective because he melts into contained (obnoxious) laughter that’s hidden behind his hand. Although, he wasn’t that far off…

 

“No, Oh Sehun.” I lie, although it sounds very solid. “Why are you guys still up though?”

 

Sehun stops laughing, and Luhan just shrugs. Jongin doesn’t seem like he heard me because he’s too busy flagging down a waitress to refill his drink. The other two look reluctant to answer and attempt to change the subject various times but I stop them.

 

“I am stuck down here 24/7 while you three are able to come and go as you please. I want to know what’s happening out there, in the world. So don’t try to avoid answering my questions.”

 

The waitress refills Jongin’s glass and I watch as the amber liquid swishes around. The cup rises, held by a hand that belongs to Jongin, and he says, “You really want to know?” The sudden seriousness in his voice is intimidating, but I nod anyway.

 

“There is a war going on up there.” 

 

Luhan visibly stiffens next to me while Sehun can’t seem to stay still in his seat. War? A week away from the outside world, and there is a war?

 

“Between who?” I ask. Jongin is drawing on the condensation of his glass, eyes turned down and away from me. 

 

“Do you remember that if SHC didn’t turn you over to whoever is sending those letters, that they’d start attacking the humans?” I nod again. “SHC thinks that vampires are the ones doing that, so they’re killing any vampire they see. We go out to save any vampire that’s left. This place,” He gestures around. “This place is one of many refuges that are still being used. A long time ago, our kind used to stay here when humans and vampires weren’t on very good terms with each other.”

 

Silence. Then, “Do you think everything would stop if they finally get the Pure One?” The words leave my mouth and Jongin looks at me with a guarded expression I find difficult to read, even through the bond.

 

“No. No, it’s not that easy. Danmi told me she saw that there’d be no hope left for any of us if these people got their hands on you. They want to dominate the world, and you’re an obstacle for them. If they get rid of you, they definitely won’t stop.”

 

I feel uneasy; anxiety twisting in my stomach and thoughts rolling in my head. “I think I’m going back to sleep.” I manage while standing up. Jongin downs the last of his drink and replies, “I’ll walk you to your room.” I don’t object.

 

“Goodnight you two,” I say while patting Sehun and Luhan’s shoulder. They smile, but even then it’s tight, pulled, manifested and not genuine. “Go to bed soon.”

 

The walk is not lengthy, or it’s not supposed to be, but the silence that hangs in the air makes every second seem longer than it really is. Jongin doesn’t talk, and I don’t have the will to. We don’t share a room anymore because he’s constantly out on errands he likes to call them. Now I know those errands are spent trying to save his kind, and trying to save his world.

 

When I open the door, I finally find the words to speak. “Jongin, who are those people who want the Pure One?”

 

He shuts the door behind him and settles into a plain, grey settee. Besides that, a dresser, and the bed, there isn’t much in the small room. I stand nearby because I don’t feel like sitting. “Humans, mainly from the remaining Reditus, and some vampires. Some of the others, Suho, Kris, and Baekhyun are trying to find their main location so we can stop them. We haven’t heard from them since two days ago.”

 

Be careful, okay? I hear Baekhyun’s words in my head. Is he safe? Is he unharmed? Are the rest of them doing well? 

 

“They’re alright, I’m sure.” Jongin answers like he’s read my mind, and he probably almost has through the bond. He reaches out and pulls me in by my waist so that I’m standing in front of him, my hands automatically falling on his shoulders. “Hey, Daeun. Did I tell you that you look exceptionally beautiful today?”

 

“What?” I sputter. It’s three in the morning, I’m sure I look like the walking dead. “It’s probably because you’re just drunk.”

 

“No, no, I’m serious. I’m pretty much sober now, actually. Vampires can’t be drunk for too long. That’s a good and a bad thing.”

 

He’s lying of course. I mean, yeah, vampires have fast metabolisms and all, but it’s only been a few minutes since he finished his last drink. And by the too wide smile on his face, and that hazy gleam in his eyes, I know he’s still drunk.

 

“You’re wasted. Jongin, you hear me?” I poke his cheek repeatedly until he makes a go at biting my finger. 

 

“No, I’m not.” He pitches his voice higher in imitation of mine, and sticks out his tongue.

 

I pinch his cheek and he scowls. “Hey Jongin, if this is a refuge for vampires, how come there are humans?”

 

His fingers stop playing with the hem of my shirt. “Well, they’re needed to work the places like the restaurant, and they volunteered…” He trails off, eyes telling me that he’s unsure if I should know the rest.

 

“What. Just tell me.”

 

“SHC was the one that dispensed out the donated blood to us. Since we are no longer their allies, we’ve stopped receiving blood.” It takes a moment for it to click inside my head, but when it does, I’m completely flustered.  

 

“Daeun, they are volunteers. We didn’t take them against their will-”

 

“So what have you been...drinking?” I want to know. Or maybe it’s more like I need to know. I have a right to be concerned, right? He is my bond, shouldn’t I know?

 

“Nothing, Daeun. I’ve had absolutely nothing.” His eyes are sincere. 

 

“Why?” I ask, running a hand through his hair. “Don’t you need blood?”

 

“Yes, I need it.” He sighs, leaning into my hand. “But a few months, let alone a week, without it won’t kill me, and I didn’t want to take it from them.”

 

“Why?” I repeat, and he presses his forehead against my abdomen. When he doesn’t answer, I lightly hit his arm. His shoulders shrug and I hit him again.

 

“It just doesn’t seem appealing.” He mumbles into the fabric of my shirt.

 

“What isn’t appealing?” I question, hands on both sides of his face so I can lift it to face me. For a while he doesn’t say anything, eyes focused on mine. But then something shifts in the air of the room and he presses into my right wrist, tip of his nose and the side of his mouth touching skin, breathes in without ever breaking eye contact.

 

“Their smell.”

 

I think my heart rate would’ve gone up or something embarrassing like that, but before I am given enough time to react, someone knocks on the door. I break away from Jongin like I’ve touched an open flame and stride to the exit, heat dripping to my cheeks. When I open the door, I find Luhan leaning against the frame with a knowing smile.

 

“Oh, am I interrupting something?” He says and I try not to kick his shin.

 

“No. What’s up?” I reply. I feel Jongin come to a standstill right behind me.

 

“Suho and the others are back.” Luhan says, arms crossed. “We should go greet them, shouldn’t we?”



 

Thank you all for continuing to anticipate and enjoy this fic, and for all the precious comments (they really do make my day)  ❀ヽ(ˉ▿ˉ)ノ❀