BONUS PT 1/?

A Taste of Temptation

 

In honor of this fic being featured. Thank you all for being a part of making that happen. Much love! (also I know it's been such a long time, I've missed you all!)


"So you like it there?" Sehun asks, his voice grainy from the quality of the phone call.

I nod, temporarily forgetting that he can't see the action before saying, "Yeah. It's nice here. Calm. I'm happy. How about you?"

"Busy, busy," he laughs. "You left some big shoes to fill at SHC."

"Hah, I know I did," I agree with a smile. "But I know you can handle it."

"Yeah, me too. Everything's all back to normal. We're always doing something, but I like it that way. I feel...fulfilled, you know? Whenever I help someone, I just feel like this is what I was meant to do. It sounds a little weird, but it's true."

"I'm glad, Sehun. You deserve to be happy now. You deserve to feel like you belong somewhere," I say, picturing in my head my brother's genuinely smiling face. Then in a mischievious voice I ask, "So, has there been anyone interesting while I've been gone?"

I expect a little laugh and a No, Daeun, I'm too busy but the line is quiet before he answers. "Actually...yeah. I've met this girl. She's kind, and generous, and strong. At first, we didn't really know each other but she's started working at SHC recently. We met when I had a case in Daejeon. It's nothing serious right now, but I hope it will be soon."

"Aw," I coo affectionately. "Sehunnie's got a girlfriend!"

"Shut up," he mutters, but I can hear the smile in his voice. "By the way, what was the main reason you called me? I know we just got to talking about everything else, but I'm pretty sure there was a definite reason you called. I could hear it in your voice I answered the phone."

Remembering the true reason of this conversation, I begin to get butterflies in my stomach. "Well, you see..."

"What?"

"I'm pregnant."

A pause. "What?"

"I just said—"

"Yeah, I know but...what? WHAT? I mean, I'm happy! I'm so happy, Daeun! For you, for Jongin, for me because I'm going to be an uncle now. But...babies come from..."

I giggle. "Yes, Sehun. Babies come from—"

"Okay, let's not talk about this anymore. I'm extremely uncomfortable. I don't want to hear about my baby sister having a baby herself. Wow. This...this is just a lot to take in. But I'm happy, so don't get me wrong. I'll come visit you soon, and we can plan out everything like the baby shower and all that good stuff."

"Sounds like a plan." I say.

"Alright, unfortunately, I gotta run. But we'll talk again soon! I miss you, Daeun. Tell our parents I said I miss them and love them, too. Oh, tell Jongin that I miss him, as well."

"I will. And I miss you more, Sehun."

"Impossible," he says, and we both laugh before the line disconnects. 

"How's he doing?" Jongin asks as I put the phone down and I smile.

"Good. Everything's good. He's even got a girlfriend!"

"Yeah, I heard you teasing him about it." Jongin chuckles before reaching out to take my hand into his. It's warm, and I can almost feel the beat of his human heart through the warmth of his skin. "You tell him about the baby?"

"Mhm. He freaked out a little, but he's also pretty excited about being an uncle." 

Jongin kisses the top of my forehead and with a lazy smile says, "Good."

I look up at him, at his warmth and his joy and I grin widely, entranced by everything that is him. "Hey, Jongin."

He raises an eyebrow. "Hm?" 

"I love you," I breathe, the words leaving me in a hush, almost like a caress of sound and love and happiness.

"And I, you," he whispers with a hand coming up to brush lightly against my cheek.