ten

A Taste of Temptation

Sehun moves into a room one floor below, two spaces to the right. It’s a lot smaller because there’s only one person who’s going to live in there, but other than that, I see no substantial difference from the apartment Jongin and I live in. Afterwards, we head to a department store to pick up extra things like chairs, bedside tables, blankets. The whole way, Sehun and Jongin excitedly run around like kids surrounded by candy forests and chocolate rivers. Even though the sight is kind of cute, it gives me a slight headache anyway.

 

While Jongin and I are moving everything into the new place, my brother and Kyungsoo sit on the wood flooring in the middle of the half-empty living room since the couch was too large to fit into the car. The estimated arrival is around five in the evening. 

 

Kyungsoo’s teaching Sehun methods to lessen the random switches. I over hear ‘just breathe and think of why you want to be in control of your emotions. But avoid fighting it’ as I drag a large bed comforter into the room. According to Kyungsoo, the changes occur because the mind is scared to shift into a new realm that isn’t human. That’s why struggling only makes it worse. Intense stress is another factor. 

 

“He’ll be fine. Eventually.” Kyungsoo says. His arms are crossed over his chest as we both observe Sehun’s behavior. Jongin picks up a couch pillow and lightly smacks Sehun with it. My brother responds by picking up a different one and chasing the other around the room. “A little unstable still, but I think he’ll be okay.” 

 

“So it’s not too late? We caught it in time?” I ask and Kyungsoo laughs.

 

“You make it sound like cancer, but yes, I believe we caught him with time to spare.”

 

After he leaves and the couch arrives, I settle on the grey L shaped sofa. Jongin is rummaging through the kitchen to make hot cocoa and there’s metal clanging loudly. Sehun jumps next to me, sitting lazily with one arm over the head of the couch.

 

“Do you still hear them? The voices I mean.” I ask.

 

“So far it hasn’t happened since I ‘woke up’ a few days ago.” He turns to me a with a small smile. “That’s good right?”

 

“Yeah.” I reply as Jongin enters the room holding a tray with 3 mugs balancing on it. “I’m glad you’re back, Sehun.”

_

 

“What was she like? You’re dance instructor?” The breeze pricks it’s invisible needles into my face and sitting on the cold metal hood of the car doesn’t help. From the cliff we’re on, the sun hangs heavily over the city, a muted red behind the grey of a winter sky.

 

“She was something like a second mom.” Jongin starts, slinging his arm lazily around my shoulders in a sly attempt to bring me closer. “Funny, but sensible. She knew what she wanted in life, and it was to teach kids to share the same passion as her. In a way, that was exactly what I wanted to be like: carefree, passionate about something. I thought that maybe I’d want to open up a dance studio, too.”

 

He shakes his head. “But I’m not too good at teaching, and I’m not too great at dealing with kids either, so I wanted to just be a dancer.” With a sigh, he passes me a file. “While we’re on the subject of Danmi, what’s all this?”

 

I open it and I see all the documents I found on the Reditus cult, the one Kyungsoo was talking about weeks ago. “This was from a while ago when I thought Sehun didn’t have any other options. Why?”

 

“I saw it, there was a piece of paper sticking out and it caught my eye. Danmi had a tattoo on the underside of her forearm. It looked exactly like that.” Jongin points to an image on a slip of paper. It’s an empty circle with a heavy outline. Ocean waves that crest in one direction line the inside, in the center there’s a small, solid star. I recognize it as the symbol of the Reditus. 

 

“She had this tattooed on her arm?” I ask and he nods. 

 

It could a coincidence, I assure myself. But I feel like it isn’t. Then I wonder why it really matters anymore. Sehun is doing a lot better. In the past two weeks since I found him at the cafe, he’s only had one almost episode, but luckily he remembered what Kyungsoo has been teaching him and avoided it. I don’t need to worry about the Reditus anymore, don’t have to place my hope in some myth or legend. 

 

Still. It feels like I’m trying to solve this thousand part jigsaw puzzle and I’m holding one tiny piece, holding onto it because I know it’ll be important later on when I fill in all the other gaps. 

 

Why? I don’t know.

_

 

Lately, going anywhere doesn’t feel safe anymore. This sense of paranoia fills me at random times like there’s someone who’s watching me but then I look and no one’s there. In the beginning, I disregarded it. Told myself that it was all in my head. It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even convince myself to ignore it anymore.

 

“Have you ever felt like someone was following you?” I ask Jongin one day and he nods.

 

“All the time. But that’s because I’m just irresistible.”

 

I scoff, and shake my head. “No, seriously.”

 

At my somber expression, he furrows his eyebrows. “You’re being followed?”

 

Slumping into the kitchen chair, I shake my head. “I don’t know. It just feels like everywhere I go, something’s right behind me.” I glance at the time and wave a hand. “Never mind. I have to go ‘shopping’ with Sehun because he thinks that his sister needs to spend some bonding time with her brother.” I stand and Jongin laughs.

 

“Well he has a point.” His small falters. “Do you want to me to take you to the agency? So you won’t be alone?”

 

I shake my head. “Thanks, but I’ll be fine.” 

 

Jongin walks me to the door and before I leave, he bends down to brush his lips against mine, lingering for a few moments longer. “Okay. But be

careful, and have fun.”

 

The SHC offered Sehun a spot recently and he accepted. Now he trains physically and mentally at the training facilities in the west wing of the agency building. Kyungsoo continually helps him and the positive effects are noticeable. Sehun seems a lot happier, more lively. I think he’s finally come to accept that he won’t be normal anymore, but to be honest, I think he actually likes that fact now.

 

Shopping had been entirely his idea. He felt like that was a start to filling in the years we were apart. I don’t find it too interesting—the lines are too long, there are too much people—but I don’t mind spending some extra time with him.

 

When I arrive at the agency building, I get out of the car and make my way to the entrance. My skin starts to crawl and I breathe deeply to calm my pounding heart, walking faster. The wind stirs and the sound seems to talk to me. I freeze.

 

-ne. Pure One. We’ve found you at last...

 

In my periphery, I think I see figures start to move and then I’m running, breath coming out in ragged gasps. I push past through the double doors of the building and swallow a scream as I run into something.

 

“Daeun? Daeun are you okay?” Sehun grabs my shoulder to stabilize me. I relax at his voice. “Why were you running?”

 

“Nothing. I was just excited, that’s all.” I smile and laugh, hoping that it’s convincing enough.

 

He frowns, but doesn’t push the subject further. “Alright. Well, I hope you’re ready for bonding time!” Linking our arms, we start to walk towards the mall that’s only a block away from the agency.

 

“How’s everything been so far?” I ask.

 

“Great! Really, I really like it here. All the people here are nice. I feel like I can live in peace now.” With a laugh, a grin appears on his face. “Luhan and Kris didn’t know you had such a cool brother.”

 

“That’s because I didn’t tell them.” I smile. “How are those two anyway?”

 

He laughs again. “They’re ridiculous. Constantly playing around and provoking each other, but it’s fun with them.”

 

For now, I don’t feel anything, and I relax into Sehun’s presence.


Sorry it's a bit late today. I had complete writer's block....which explains the almost noneventfulness in this update, but I hope you like it anway.

Happy Birthday Luhan!(yeah technically its not 4/20 in Korea/China anymore but it is here)

 

And my condolences to China who just had an earthquake that injured and killed a lot of lives