Chapter 20: part II

A Thin Line between Hate and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Something was bothering Sunggyu. He felt something was not right. Something wronged somewhere. His heart was beating vigorously without any specific reasons. He was so restless and lost his focus on his work. The worst was he wasn’t sure what made him turned to be in that state. It was annoying and he hated it.

“Maybe you need a vacation,” said Edward after their dinner one night.

“You think so?” Sunggyu asked as they walked towards their cars.

“Yeah. Take a break; a week or two.”

“Sounds great. But where?”

“I don’t know, maybe The Republic of South Korea?” Sunggyu cleared his throat at his friend’s suggestion place. “Why though?”

“I know you have issues but as I acknowledged, Korea is not that small. You don’t have to meet your Aunt’s family. Go to Jeju or maybe Busan, anywhere but not your Aunt’s place. She shall not know you’re there too,” Edward shrugged. “I just thought you need Korea air, Korean food, Korean people around you once again because I know how heavy the energy and suffocated in here. You most probably miss the Korea soil so much. Perhaps, celebrate your Christmas there too,” Edward ended up his talk with a light punch on Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Oh! You may go to North Korea too, well if you want. It’s still Korea.” Sunggyu laughed at his friend’s joke and shook his head.

Taking Edward’s advice, Sunggyu flew to Korea on the weekend. He can’t contained his glee feeling once he stepped down from the airplane and breathed in Korea air happily. It was true as Edward said, the air was totally different. He felt so fresh and free. If people didn’t know him, they might think he was a little cuckoo inside. With that huge smile playing on his lips, waving and nodding to everybody around him, saying hello and all, looking like Christmas had came early for him, Sunggyu was just overjoyed to be back.

Sunggyu didn’t go to Jeju or Busan or even North Korea as Edward’s suggested. Instead, he was back to his hometown. Something or maybe someone had calling for him and he felt attracted to be there. The pull was so strong. In his mind, two names were playing; Sungjong and Woohyun.

 

Sungjong spun around, an incredulous look on his face, as he met Myungsoo's eyes. “Did you just..?” He asked, shocked.

Myungsoo was grinning like a Cheshire cat, mischief glinting in his eyes. Sungjong shook his head and laughed at how childish Myungsoo was being, but he knew he had to get his revenge. Sungjong reached down and grabbed a handful of snow. With a loud roar, he launched it across the yard at Myungsoo. The hard ball of snow hit Myungsoo on the shoulder and he laughed.

“This means war!” Myungsoo shouted, gathering up more snow in his hands.

They started running around the yard, tossing snow this way and that, only hitting each other with it half of the time. One well aimed toss on Myungsoo's part had the ball of snow landing right on Sungjong's face, pricking at his skin and sending a shiver down his spine.

This time Myungsoo was rushing towards Sungjong, apologizing profusely but laughing his off at the same time. Sungjong just stood there, his eyes shut and his mouth open in shock, as the ice rolled down his face and dripped in his jacket. “Baby! Babe! I'm sorry!” Myungsoo repeated, trying to push the laughter from his voice.

He flung his arms around Sungjong and tried to keep his balance, but he felt Sungjong swinging their bodies around. By the time Myungsoo realized what was going on, he was on his back in the snow, Sungjong straddling his lap and tossing little bits of snow in Myungsoo's face. “How do you like that?” Sungjong asked, laughing at Myungsoo as he tried to swat Sungjong away.

Their fingers were frozen and tossing snow in their faces would probably make them sick, but they were having fun, and they were laughing, and even though they had cute moments with Soojong, it wasn't the same. It was perfect. It was just Myungsoo and Sungjong. Sungjong was just about to stop tossing snow onto Myungsoo and apologize when his strong hands gripped Sungjong and he spun them over, causing Sungjong to land on his back with a heavy “uff!”

Myungsoo looked down at Sungjong triumphantly, the little bits of ice still dripping down his face. Sungjong tried to push Myungsoo off of him, but it wasn't working. Their eyes stayed locked as Myungsoo leaned down, his nose barely brushing against Sungjong's. Sungjong took a deep breath and stopped struggling against Myungsoo. Instead his arms found the front of Myungsoo's jacket and tugged.

Their lips crashed together roughly, Sungjong's strength taking Myungsoo by surprise. He caught on right away, though, and moved his lips against Sungjong's enthusiastically. His tongue grazed Sungjong's lower lip and Sungjong allowed him entrance, the heat surrounding them making them forget all about the fact that they were lying in a pile of snow. Myungsoo's tongue explored every crevice of Sungjong's mouth, memorizing every detail. He found himself into the kiss as Sungjong responded.

Sungjong tugged Myungsoo closer to him, if it was even possible, his arms now wrapped around Myungsoo's neck to hold him close. Myungsoo ground down against Sungjong, both quickly was becoming hard. Myungsoo's lips trailed away from Sungjong's; across his jaw, down his neck, at a spot just above the collar of his jacket. Sungjong let out a deep groan at the feeling, his head thrown back as his eyes squished shut. "Unh.. Myung.." Sungjong muttered.

They were outside– anyone could see them. Sungjong knew they should stop and he kept trying to tell Myungsoo to stop, but what he was doing felt so good. It could go on a little longer, right? The slam of a car door in the driveway pulled them away from what they were doing. Myungsoo backed away and stared down at Sungjong, his expression equal parts hilarity and embarrassment.

“What are you saying again? Not ready for our second child?” Myungsoo whispered seductively. Sungjong smiled mischievously and pushed Myungsoo off of him before racing inside, locking the patio door behind him. He laughed as Myungsoo pounded on the glass, begging to be let in.

“Cute,” Sunggyu commented with a coy smile as he was standing and stalking the couple not so near from their house. Sunggyu shoved his hands into his pockets, turned around and making his way to nearest coffee shop to grab some hot chocolate to warm his freezing body. Sunggyu was happy when he saw Sungjong was happy. And Sunggyu was happier when for the first time, his heart wasn’t wanting for Sungjong.

Maybe because both of them had letting go and forgave, thus forgot all about the nasty act, painful memories and bitter tears that came in between. It was great to feel that way. Seeing Sungjong’s genuine smile around his perfect husband, Sunggyu didn’t want to ruin that. Maybe he still hasn’t found such happiness yet, but he won’t take that away from Sungjong. That was wrong and he shall not repeat the same mistake again and again. Enough was enough. He was not going back there, the old Sunggyu.

“Woohyun,” Sunggyu’s thought suddenly went to that man. “I wonder how he is doing now.”

Sunggyu can’t straight go to his apartment to meet Woohyun and acted normal, like nothing happened before. That would be super awkward and.. weird. You slept with someone, practically took the person’s ity, suddenly disappeared. Then reappeared, coming out from nowhere without any specific reason except ‘I think of you a lot these days’. What if Woohyun already got someone special? What would he do? How can he handle that fact?

Sunggyu presses the girl- he can’t remember her name- further into the door, pressing frantic kisses to any part of her he could reach. She giggled, breathless and high-pitched and wrong. Woohyun’s laughter didn’t sound anything like that; his was deep and rich and-

He fought down the bile in his throat, stopping abruptly, pulling back.

“What’s wrong?” she frowned as he struggled to re-button his shirt. 

He wanted to scream; everything, everything is wrong, nothing is right but he didn’t. Instead he panted, “I’m sorry, I just- there’s someone else.”

Sunggyu shuffled away without another word, exhausted and ashamed.

Sunggyu sipped his hot chocolate as he recalled the memory, just to make sure what he felt for Woohyun. Was that even possible if he said he might love him? Between him and Woohyun, he knew there was more than ‘one night stand’ relationship. That wasn’t something he always did too. Before, it was always been Sungjong, forever Sungjong. No one came into his life, not more than just friends. Woohyun was different. He could felt it. Was it too late if he tried to claim Woohyun as his? But, it has been over two years..

Too much questions for no answers.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right– for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

With that, Sunggyu gathered all his guts and headed to Woohyun’s apartment. What he got for his visit was disappointment. Woohyun wasn’t there. According to the guard, the apartment was emptied for more than two years. That led Sunggyu to wander around, trying to find the possibilities where to find Woohyun.

Woohyun was on his way home alongside Dongwoo as the other man chattered, determined not to acknowledge the fact that Woohyun wasn’t listening. The streets were busy tonight; and through the crowd, Woohyun snatched a glimpse of milky white skin and red lips and messy dark brown hair. Woohyun’s heart was racing uncontrollably.

It can’t be him.

But Woohyun stoped anyway, and it can’t be him, it can’t be but it was. Woohyun was only vaguely aware that he was stopped in the middle of a busy street, too preoccupied with the steady chant of Sunggyu Sunggyu Sunggyu in his mind, SunggyuSunggyuSunggyu- “Sunggyu!”

Sunggyu turned at the sound, turned and stared because it was Woohyun and oh God. It was him. He was paralyzed and it was Woohyun. Sunggyu who was just standing there staring at Woohyun- Woohyun who appeared to be on the verge of tears.

Woohyun can do nothing but stared for a long moment. Then, with an undignified jerk, his legs began to function again; he purposefully crossed the square, Dongwoo scurrying after him. Crossed that small patch of land and came to rest in front of the man that he was been looking for, for two years, four months and ten days.

“Sunggyu,” Woohyun breathed, as though it was his last word. Those sparkling dark brown eyes that have haunted Woohyun’s dreams for so long- were big and wide with something bittersweet. Something was that might be hope and love and.. fear?

“Woohyun,” Sunggyu replied, thickly. He didn’t trust himself to say anything else. 

Woohyun took a shaky step forwards; his fingers twitched, wanting to touch, and he thought; two years, four months and ten days.

He fought back tears, because he always said, if they ever saw one another again, he would tell him, no matter what, and now-

Now he had to do it.

“We need--we need to talk,” Woohyun pleaded and his heart ached unbearably. The air between them was stagnant with something intolerable.

“Sure. Of course,” Sunggyu answered almost immediately. Woohyun surged forwards, finally, finally; smoothing his hand against Sunggyu’s clean-shaven chin as their lips pressed together in a flurry of want and need. Sunggyu had no idea how he should be feeling; it was a combination of anxiety and exhilaration and nausea at the moment. But he did kiss Woohyun back.

They were in the same coffee shop Sunggyu entered earlier and Sunggyu didn’t mind much to have another cup of hot chocolate while Woohyun ordered his usual small caramel latte. They sipped their drinks occasionally; sitting across of each other, sometimes stole a glace or two and blushed lightly as they caught each other’s gaze but still didn’t utter a single word.

“Um.. hi?” Sunggyu started awkwardly.

“Hey,” Woohyun replied quietly. Sunggyu gave Woohyun a little smile then, just a quirk of his lips, but still. Woohy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter