Chapter 19: part II

A Thin Line between Hate and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Myungsoo secretly loved winter nights like this. Nights when the wind thrummed around the walls, low and shaking the windows in their frames. He liked standing in front of his bedroom window, feet bare, feeling the chill. Every few seconds he could hear the soft tapping of snowflakes as they made their gentle siege against the glass.

Myungsoo turned at the sound of a small sigh and the shifting of blankets. Sungjong had his side to face him, his eyes soft and glinting in the moonlight.

“If you're quite done admiring the view, I can help you warm those toes before they fall off from frostbite,” Sungjong's tone was teasing but fond.

Myungsoo smiled and padded over to the bed, quickly slipping under their mound of blankets so the chilled air couldn't sip inside. He snuggled up behind Sungjong and pulled him in close, his arm snaking around Sungjong's hips, under the swell of his stomach. He kissed the nape of Sungjong's neck and breathed in the clean scent of his hair. Sungjong grinned and snuggled back against Myungsoo, prompting the other man to press more tightly against him.

“Sungjongie, I’m sorry.”

“No, no more sorries. Enough with sorry. You’ve forgiven, Myung.”

“I should know you better and support whatever you did instead of keeping grudge. I’m wrong.”

Earlier that day, Myungsoo found Sungjong was reading Sunggyu’s letter. It had left in his room before Sunggyu disappeared. Eun Joo was reluctant to give the letter to Sungjong at first but she had no choice. Eun Joo gave the letter after three months Sungjong and Myungsoo went out from hospital and really sure both of them were good physically, mentally and the most important, emotionally. It was hard for the whole family but it was harder for Sungjong and Myungsoo. Sungjong only had the courage to read the letter two months after.

Myungsoo was pissed, at-the-end-world of pissed when he knew Sunggyu was the one who put Sungjong and his child in danger. It took Sungjong did everything, anything to calm Myungsoo down, saying he and their baby were perfectly fine and Sunggyu won’t ever come again. Myungsoo calmed down but the hatred he felt for Sunggyu didn’t wash away.

Myungsoo said Sungjong shouldn’t forgive Sunggyu because he had done too much, too much till he didn’t deserve any forgiveness and pity. That was the beginning of their disagreeing. Without they realised, they were almost yelled and shouted on each other face.

“Are we seriously going to fight because of that bastard?!”

“Myungsoo, for God’s sake! When there was no Lee Sungyeol or Kim Myungsoo, that bastard, Kim Sunggyu who the one took care of me!”

“So, are you saying you’re going to forgive him? Just like that? After what he had done? Sungjong, I almost, this close to lose you and our child! No way!”

“Since when you got to control every single thing in my life, decided what I should, what I should not, on my behalf? I don’t see why I don’t, why I can’t forgive him. Grudge never helps, Myungsoo. It only makes things worse. What past is past.”

Myungsoo didn’t reply to Sungjong as he admitted what his wife just said. Sungjong sighed and slowly walked towards his upset husband who sat on the edge of their shared bed. Sungjong sat next to him and took Myungsoo’s hand in his.

“Myung, he apologised to me, to us. And, we have to forgive him. That would be easier and by doing that we could be happier. Get through it Myungsoo, let it go. Let’s pretend nothing had happened. This isn’t easy for me as it may seem. I was hoping you to understand but you.. kind of disappoint me.”

Shame and humility washed over Myungsoo. The guilty feeling bit his heart and he fought the urge to cry when he realised he was wrong and he had disappointed his wife. Myungsoo turned to face Sungjong and kissed his cheek apologetically before wrapped his arms around him. Myungsoo said ‘I’m sorry’ over and over again like a mantra. He wished he could take back what he had said. It was not his intent to hurt Sungjong in such way. Sungjong had taught him so many things. He can’t ever thankful enough for having such a beautiful person, inside and outside as his own.

Sungjong joked saying luckily Sunggyu apologised using a letter. If Sunggyu were apologising by himself, might has be Myungsoo already beat him up near to death. Myungsoo laughed bitterly as he promised he will change his attitude and try his best to manage his anger next time.

“You’re the nicest, kindest, most forgiven person I ever met. You’ve a soft, full of love, gold heart. Don’t ever change.”

Sungjong blushed and said ‘thank you’ softly. He was beyond glad knowing his husband’s view about him and all the credits went to his parents who taught him so well.

“Oh, she's kicking!” Sungjong shuffled around in Myungsoo's arms so his belly pressed against Myungsoo's. His excited smile warmed Myungsoo. They pushed the blankets down to their hips and pressed their foreheads together, looking down at the large bump partially concealed under Sungjong's woollen shift. Myungsoo placed a hand over it, feeling the heat of Sungjong's skin through the fabric. He couldn't suppress a delighted gasp when he felt the unmistakable shifting underneath his hand and against his own stomach. Sungjong chuckled at his facial expression and rested his hand over Myungsoo's, smiling softly at the open happiness on Myungsoo's face.

Myungsoo kissed Sungjong's nose and closed his eyes, letting the bone-deep happiness wash over him like a warm breeze.

Sungjong tangled his legs with Myungsoo's and hissed at his chilled feet.

“Sorry,” Myungsoo muttered and tried to move his feet away but Sungjong grabbed at them with his own, silently demanding Myungsoo stay as he was. Myungsoo smoothed his hand down Sungjong's stomach and under his shift, curling his palm lightly around Sungjong's hip. 

“I love you, Sungjong,” Myungsoo murmured. “All parts of you. I would be so happy if our child turns out to be like you, have your beauty and your pure heart.”

Sungjong kissed him lightly and looked at him with soft eyes, his happy, tired expression matching Myungsoo's own.

“I love you too, Myung. I love you too.”

They fell asleep cocooned in warmth. Outside, the snow continued to fall.

 

Sungjong came out from the room and found Myungsoo was doing his editing at the dining table. Curled up a small smile, he strolled carefully to his husband as an eight month pregnant person would be.

“Hey, stranger,” Sungjong said as put his hands on Myungsoo’s shoulder, squeezed them lightly and leaned down to give a peek on Myungsoo’s cheek. Myungsoo stopped his hands from whatever he was doing. “Oh, come on, Jongie. I haven’t talk to you just for a few hours.”Sungjong didn’t reply to it but continued massaging Myungsoo’s shoulders. “God, please Jongie, don’t stop doing that. It feels so good.”

“Aigoo, poor my dear husband, work so hard to feed his hungry wife.” Myungsoo chuckled. “But still, his wife is as thin as a stick.” Sungjong slapped Myungsoo’s shoulder and laughed. “You want anything to drink? I can do it for you,” he offered. Myungsoo put down his pen and turned to look at Sungjong. He pursed his lips and rolled his eyes a little in thinking manner. “Hm, may I have hot mocha with love, please?” He grinned.

“Hot mocha with love?”

“Yes, yes!”

“So, hot mocha with love you’ll get. Wait a minute, okay?”

“Thank you,” Myungsoo sang happily. He then got his eyes back on his papers. Just a few steps away, Sungjong winced in pain. Hurriedly, Myungsoo ran to Sungjong and hugged him from behind.

“Myung..” Sungjong breathed heavily while put his one hand under his swollen belly and another hand on his back.

“Jongie! Jongie! Are you okay? Please be okay! Is the baby coming now? Are you having the baby now? Oh my God, what should I do? Bu-but you’re supposed in labour next month, though! Why so early? Baby, hang in there! Appa is trying to call your halmoni!” 

Myungsoo pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialled his mother’s number in panic. “Pick up the phone, umma!” Myungsoo said impatiently. Sungjong stopped wincing and took the phone for Myungsoo’s hand. He pressed the cancel button. He then laughed his off, leaving Myungsoo dumbfounded.

“Why you call your umma? I thought your appa is the doctor. Shouldn’t you call the ambulance or something?” Sungjong continued laughed. He stopped when Myungsoo still seemed in shock. “I’m sorry, I was kidding.” Sungjong poked Myungsoo’s chest and brought his husband back to reality.

“Well, it was not funny, Jongie. I almost faint because too panic!”

“Oh yes, you should see your face,” Sungjong giggled. “Let’s call it as practice. So, when the real time is coming, you should have known what to do and who you should call.”

“Naughty naughty Jongie,” Myungsoo pinched Sungjong’s nose.  “Do not do that again! Oh God, I’m still shaking.”

“Take your seat and I’ll be back with your drink,” Sungjong pecked Myungsoo’s lips. “Sorry,” he chuckled and made his way to the kitchen. Myungsoo heaved a relief sigh. He picked up his pen once again and tried to focus on his work. But then, Myungsoo put his pen down back.

What if Sungjong was going to labour for real? What if the baby was coming out, now?

Myungsoo shook his head and stormed to the kitchen to get his wife, checking if everything was okay. Sungjong was laughing hard for second time less than ten minute after knowing his husband was nothing but all paranoid. Still, Sungjong had nothing to complain though. He loved and enjoyed the attention Myungsoo gave to him rather than to his endless work.

 

“Umma,” Sungjong looked up to his mother who busy cleaning the house. “Yes, honey,” Eun Joo left everything she was doing and rushed next to Sungjong. “Umma, I think my water just broke,” Sungjong pointed down at his wet pants. Eun Joo gasped. “Oh, dear!”

“Um-umma,” Sungjong tried to breath as normal as he could as the pain struck him, hard. “Umma, where’s my phone? I need to call Myung.”

“Here,” Eun Joo put the phone in Sungjong’s hand. Eun Joo then ran out to start the engine and called Myungsoo’s father, Minwoo. With trembling hand, Sungjong dialled Myungsoo’s number. “Hello?” Myungsoo asked eagerly when he noticed it was Sungjong calling.

“Myung? I swear this is not a prank call. It's happening. It's time,” Sungjong said between pants, his breathing already ragged as the pain hit him in strong waves.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter