Chapter 16

A Thin Line between Hate and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Gyu hyung!” Cried little Sungjong. He was sitting on the ground with his bicycle down next to him and a bleeding right knee. He was bawling. His pretty face was wet with his tears. The panic little Sunggyu hurriedly ran towards his crying cousin. “Jongie, are you okay?” asked him concernly.

Sungjong shook his head. “It hurts,” he said between his sobs. Sunggyu frowned by looking at the injury. It was a lot of blood, surely it was bad. “Hush, hyung is here, stop crying. Everything will be okay. Even with that amount of blood, you won’t lose your leg, though.” The lame joke just made the younger boy cried harder.

“I-I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Okay now, can you stand up? I’ll help you.” Sunggyu took Sungjong’s left arm and wrapped it around his shoulder while his right hand slides around Sungjong’s waist. Sungjong stopped crying and tried to stand up with his one leg and Sunggyu’s support. He winced in pain.

“Okay, I got you, Jongie. So now, can you walk?”

Sungjong pushed himself to take a step but it was impossible. “Ahhh!’ Sungjong shrieked quietly. Sunggyu had an idea. He let go his cousin and squatted with his back was at him. “Hop on my back. I’ll carry you home.”

Sungjong was hesitant. “Are-are you sure?”

“Yes, I am. Hurry hop on or all your blood will dry out,” Sunggyu teased the injured boy again. He smirked to himself. Sungjong was reluctant but he did it too anyway.  He wrapped his arms firmly around Sunggyu’s neck but not too tight. He didn’t have any intention to kill his cousin, though.

“Hold tight, Jongie. I don’t want you to fall back.” Sunggyu carefully wrapped his hands around Sungjong’s thighs, didn’t want to squeeze or accidentally brushed the wound. “Gee, you should eat more. You’re way too skinny. You’re so light.” Sunggyu was piggyback ride Sungjong home.

That night, Sunggyu made himself to check on Sungjong. He smiled and took his seat on the bed next to him. “Are you okay?” he asked while looking down on Sungjong’s treated wounded. His Uncle Jun had brought Sungjong to clinic as soon as they reached home.

“I’m fine.”  

“Is it still hurt?”

“It stings.”

A short paused. “Your bicycle is in the garage. I have took it back.”

“Thank you so much. You’re so nice,” Sungjong smiled. Sunggyu smiled sheepishly as return. Then he gave something to his cousin. “Here, lemon candy for you.” Sungjong gladly took it. He unwrapped the cover and put the candy in his mouth. “Thank you! You’re surely the best!” Sunggyu ruffled Sungjong’s hair. They both chuckled in ease. From that day, lemon candy has became Sungjong’s favourite.

On the other day, Sungjong cried for his Gyu hyung again. His ice cream had dropped. He even just could have a chance to it once. Sunggyu gave his ice cream to Sungjong without thinking twice. His first priority was forever Sungjong. Sungjong pecked Sunggyu’s left cheek before took the ice cream from the boy. “Thank you.” He smiled widely and walked, leaving the blushed Sunggyu behind.

Sungjong noticed his cousin was not by his side. He twisted his neck to check on Sunggyu before turned his body completely while his ice cream. “Gyu hyung, let’s go. Umma said we have to back home quickly, remember?”

“I’m coming, I’m coming.” Sunggyu ran a little to Sungjong. “You want some?” Sungjong offered the ice cream. After all, that was Sunggyu’s ice cream from the beginning. “You don’t mind?”

Sungjong shook his head. “Let’s share it.” Sungjong shoved the ice cream to Sunggyu. They walked home, sharing one ice cream and hand in hand.

Sunggyu was on the list of Sungjong’s favourite people in world.

“Gyu hyung, today in class, we learned about ambition,” Sungjong said to Sunggyu as the duo was walking back home from school. “Oh yeah? So, what you know about ambition, Jongie?”

“Ambition is something you want to be when you grow up,” Sungjong repeated after his teacher. Ambition was basically meant a strong desire to do or to achieve something, typically requiring determination and hard work.

“You’re right,” Sunggyu smiled. “Hee Sun said she wants to be a doctor. Sora said she wants to be a teacher. Wonshik wants to be a policeman, just like his father and Youngjae wants to be a football player. He’s cool, right, Gyu hyung?”

“Hm,” Sunggyu nodded. “What about yours?” he asked. Instead of answering, Sungjong frowned. “My friends laughed at me, though.”

“Eh? Why? What is your ambition?” Sungjong blushed. “I-I want to marry you. I want to be your wife,” Sungjong said quietly but Sunggyu managed to hear it clearly. He then laughed. “Hmpp! You too!” Sungjong said angrily. He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted. Sunggyu stopped laughing instantly. “Aww, I’m sorry, please don’t be angry with me, Jongie. To be honest, I found that was funny. Why you choose to be my wife as your ambition, though?”

Sungjong hanged his head low, tried his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter