Strength

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Tanakas were a private family. They were a shy couple, especially after their move from Japan to Korea. 

Their daughter, Yuki, was only three when she was introduced to piano.

Her parents thought nothing of it. They loved that their daughter loved to "dabble" in piano. But when she learned to play Fur Elise at the age of four, they realized that their daughter had more talent than they thought. 

Yuki was twelve when she realized that her future laid only in music. She was surprised at how quick her parents were to support her. From there, she was put into performing arts schools. They all figured that the best thing for Yuki was to let her run with her passion.

Yuki performed at every concert she could, hoping to get the attention she craved and thrived on.

She would have never thought that her love of piano would lead to her kidnapping. No one could have predicted that.

Of course, if her parents had known that her passion would lead to her tragic kidnapping, they would have thought against it, hiding her away as much as possible.

Though they were happy to have their beloved daughter back, their only daughter, their wounds were so deep and had yet to heal.

Now, the family was planning a trip back to Japan for the next morning, and they were as anxious as ever.

Japan. A new start.

A new safe start, they hoped.

Yunho froze. 

"Up here...you'll always feel safe, okay?"

The sound of his own voice played in his head as events from the past day played through.

Those were the exact words he said to Changmin when the two of them went up to the roof.

"Changmin," Yunho whispered as he broke out into a run, heading to the front door, which he realized was unlocked. How could he not have seen that before? It probably didn't even come through his mind during his state of panic. Yunho ran out of the apartment, heading straight for an elevator. The ride couldn't be any slower as Yunho bounced up and down in his anxiety.

The doors couldn't open fast enough as Yunho ran out of the elevator, heading straight to the roof.

Yunho rubbed his arms at the sudden drop in temperature. "Changmin!" he called out.

Thankfully, his search didn't last long as he turned and saw a familiar figure sitting down, his back leaning against the wall. Yunho ran up to him. "Changmin," he said again. Yunho looked at the maknae in worry.

Changmin had fallen asleep there. It was cold outside, and though Changmin wore a long sleeve shirt to sleep, his thin pajama shirt couldn't help protect him, and the shivers coming from his body made Yunho go into panic mode.

Yunho started tapping Changmin's face and calling his name in hopes of waking him up. Changmin's eyes fluttered open, and Yunho released a sigh of relief as Changmin began to process where he was.

"Let's go inside," Yunho gently said. "Okay? We can get you warmed up."

He didn't give Changmin a chance to ask questions as he helped the maknae onto his feet.

"You need to be more careful Changmin," Yunho whispered as the two of them walked inside.

The first thing Yunho did when they arrived at the apartment was place Changmin on the couch. He dashed into the hallway, disappearing for a moment before returning with a thick blanket. After wrapping the blanket around Changmin's shoulders, he headed to the kicthen, grabbing a mug from one of the cupboards, putting water in it before placing it in the microwave. 

He figured making Changmin some hot cocoa would warm help warm the younger one up.

Yunho went back to the living room, kneeling in front of Changmin. "Are you okay?"

Changmin nodded, hugging his blanket tightly around him. "I'm cold," he muttered.

Yunho nodded. "I know," he said. "I'm making you something warm to drink, okay?"

"I went to the roof," Changmin said. "Did I sleepwalk?"

"Probably," Yunho said. "You scared me."

"Sorry."

Yunho smiled. "It's fine," he replied. "I'm just glad you're okay." Yunho rose, stealing one more glance at Changmin before heading to the kicthen again. He quickly made Changmin's hot cocoa and returned to the living room to be met with the sight of Changmin's drooping eyelids.

Yunho knelt beside the tired and cold maknae. "Drink this before you go to sleep," he commanded soflty, holding the mug in Changmin's face.

"Thank you," Changmin muttered before he took the mug from Yunho's hands.

The two of them sat in silence. Changmin was slowly sipping his hot cocoa, and both of them were too tired to hold a conversation.

"I'm done,' Changmin said.

Yunho quickly grabbed the mug from Changmin's hands, taking it to the kitchen and washing it in the sink.

"Let's get you back to bed," Yunho said as he returned to the living room. "You'll feel better in the morning." Changmin obeyed. He stood up, the blanket still wrapped securely around him, allowing Yunho to lead him to bed. 

Changmin definitely did not feel better the next morning. He felt even worse, and he was pretty sure it was due to the fever he had developed overnight.

Yunho placed his hand on Changmin's forehead, feeling the heat radiating off Changmin's body. Yunho sighed.

"I don't feel well," Changmin moaned, burying his face into his pillow.

No surprise there. Yunho started rubbing Changmin's back. "I know, Min," he replied. Yunho began to debate with himself on whether or not he should still go to the police station, or stay home to take care of Changmin. He pursed his lips together, deep in thought. He knew how important it was to go to the police station. Yunho had to find out what was in that video, and the police needed it to further their investigation.

Changmin had Kyuhyun coming over. Changmin would be in good hands with the Super Junior maknae.

"Kyuhyun will be coming over soon," Yunho announced.

Changmin looked at him with sad eyes. "You're still leaving?"

Yunho sighed. "I'm so sorry, Changmin," he said. "But you know I have to do this. I'll be checking in on you every thirty minutes just like I promised."

Changmin looked away. "Okay," he said in a low voice, as if he was disappointed that his sudden sickness couldn't convince Yunho to stay.

"I want you to eat before I leave," Yunho said.

Changmin's eyebrows perked up. So if I don't eat, does that mean you won't leave? "I'm not hungry," Changmin replied.

Yunho sighed. "Come on, Changmin," he said. "I want you to eat something."

"I'm. Not. Hungry," Changmin repeated.

Yunho sighed. "Changmin. Please," he begged. "Eat something." Yunho just looked at Changmin, and after realizing that he wouldn't get a response from the stubborn maknae, he got up and left the room.

A sudden panic formed in the pit of Changmin's stomach. "Hyung," Changmin said after his leader left.

Thankfully, Yunho came back right after, a banana in his hand. Changmin slightly sat up. "Here," Yunho said as he brought the banana to Changmin's face. He knelt down next to Changmin. "Eat it," he commanded.

Changmin shook his head. "I'm not hungry, Hyung."

Yunho sighed. "You think I don't know what you're doing?" he asked Changmin. "No matter what happens I'm still going to the police station. So please, make this easy on the both of us." Yunho began peeling the banana. "Ah," he said, bringing the banana to Changmin's lips. 

Changmin glared at Yunho before taking a bite from the banana. He chewed slowly, still glaring at Yunho the whole time.

"See?" Yunho said as he had Changmin take another bite. "Is that so bad?"

"Yes," Changmin replied, his mouth full of banana.

Yunho scoffed. "Well too bad," he said. "Because I'm making sure Kyuhyun feeds you while he's here too."

Changmin sighed. "Come home right after you're done with the cops, okay?"

Yunho nodded. "Okay," he said with a smile. "Is Kyuhyun that bad that you don't want to spend time with him?"

Changmin shook his head. "Of course not," he replied. "Kyuhyun can come over whenever he wants. But you..."

"I'll be fine," Yunho cut in. "I won't get hurt," he promised. "Besides, I'll have Heechul and Donghae with me." Yunho smiled confidentally, trying to calm Changmin's nerves.

Changmin raised an eyebrow. "Is that supposed to reassure me?" he asked. "No offense...but Donghae and Heechul aren't exactly the threatening type."

Yunho scoffed. "Don't let Heechul's diva persona fool you," he said, making Changmin take another bite of the banana. "He goes Hulk when his temper gets too much."

Changmin swallowed. "Just don't forget to check in, okay? Every thirty minutes."

"Every thirty minutes," Yunho promised. He rose. "I'll get you some medicine for your fever."

Heechul and Donghae shared worried glances. "Are you sure you're up for this, Yunho?" Donghae asked as he placed a hand on Yunho's shoulder. 

Yunho nodded as he twirled the mysterious video in his hands. "It's not like I have a choice," he simply replied. "Besides, I'm doing this for Changmin."

Heechul nodded. "We're gonna take you out to lunch after this," he announced with a smile. They weren't sure what was on that video, but Heechul knew Yunho would need someone to cheer him up afterwards.

"Do you want one of us to go with you?" Donghae asked.

Yunho quickly shook his head. Changmin didn't even want Yunho to see what was on that video. Yunho wasn't going to allow anyone to see it either. Changmin would probably feel humiliated.

If Yunho couldn't protect Changmin in any other way, he could at least protect the maknae's dignity.

Detective Kang called out Yunho's name.

Yunho perked his eyes up, searching for the older man. He stood up, greeting the older man, with Heechul and Donghae copying his actions.

"Let's go," the older one commanded, leading him into a smaller interogation room. A small TV was there, and Yunho handed the video to the detective, who quickly put in the video. 

As soon as the video started playing, Yunho regretted not destroying it at the first oppurtunity.

Changmin sat on the ground, shirtless, sweating, and crying. Changmin's body was already littered with old scars, burns, and bruises. At the bottom right hand side of the screen was the date written in yellow numbers. It was just a few months after Changmin was kidnapped.

"We've talked about what happens when you say no to me or one of my friends, right?" a mysterious voice asked.

Yunho raised an eyebrow. One of his friends? Meaning there was more than one? 

A man slowly walked into the screen. His face was slightly covered by his curly hair, but a scar on his face was slightly visible. He was holding something that looked like a whip.

Yunho felt his blood going cold. He could already tell where this video was going, and he didn't think he could handle it.

Changmin continued sobbing. "I...I'm s-sorry," he said, shaking his head. "I couldn't do it. Not today. It still hurts from last time and-"

Changmin's words were interrupted by the sound of a loud crack of leather. The man had struck Changmin with all his might. A small yelp of pain escaped Changmin's lips.

Yunho swallowed, desperately wanting to turn away from the screen. Was this supposed to be the same man who claimed to love Changmin more than anything?

"You know how much I don't like excuses," the man said, bringing the whip down once again. Another scream from Changmin. "We had a deal." He brought the whip down again. "I told you I wouldn't be merciful this time." He brought the whip down again. Again, Changmin screamed. "I gave you fifteen beatings last time...how many should you get today?" he asked as he hit Changmin again.

Changmin didn't reply. He just sported a horrified expression as he looked to the ground, not being able to do anything else. He just let tears escape from his eyes, not caring how weak he looked at this point.

Yunho felt himself becoming sick as he watched the whip continue to land on Changmin's weak and helpless body. How many lashes was that so far?

An evil smile appeared on the man's face, as he began to repeatedly bring the whip down. It seemed like his smile got bigger with every cry emitted from Changmin. 

"Just remember you brought this on yourself," the man said as he continued to beat Changmin.

It seemed like hours. The beatings and taunts continued before finally, the man stopped. At this point, Changmin was laying on the ground, curled up on his side. Blood seeped from the various cuts on his body as it pooled on the ground. His cries had become silent, just tears falling from his eyes now. His eyes were constantly fluttering, as if he were too weak and tired to stay conscious, but the pain was keeping him awake.

"Twenty," the man announced. "I gave you twenty."

Yunho was horrified. How could Changmin endure this beating to the full? How could he have not passed out by now? How many times was he beaten just like this...or worse? 

Changmin's lips moved as if he were trying to say something. The man smiled, kneeling down in front of Changmin. "What was that?' he asked in a mocking tone.

Changmin continued crying, staring into nothing. "Yu-Yunho Hyung," he croaked out.

At the sound of his name, Yunho could have sworn that his heart stopped. How many times had Changmin called for him? How many times was Yunho not there when Changmin desperately needed him?

As these questions ran through his head, Yunho grabbed at his heart, an unbearable pain forming on his chest.

The man laughed. "Yunho can't save you," he said. "I shot him, remember?" The man scoffed. "Of course you do. It was your fault any

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter