Smile

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changmin stirred, releasing a heavy breath as he began to open his eyes.

He slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and letting out a yawn before finally getting out of bed. 

The house was very quiet, which was kind of worrisome to Changmin. He left the bedroom and entered the dark hallway. He briefly looked out the window as he walked and figured he must have slept all day. Changmin began walking downstairs, noticing the kitchen light was on. At least someone's still awake, he thought to himself as he entered the kitchen.

Yunho was there, reading something on his phone.

Changmin bit his lip as he walked up behind Yunho; the leader had yet to notice his maknae's presence.

"Hyung," Changmin said as he sat down beside Yunho.

Yunho put his phone down, looking towards Changmin with a surprised smile. "Changdola," he replied. "I didn't even hear you walk in. Did you sleep okay?"

Changmin nodded in answer, once again rubbing his eyes. "What time is it?" he asked.

"Seven," Yunho answered.

"In the evening?" Changmin asked, noticing on the other side of the room that a pot of coffee had been made.

Yunho laughed softly. "In the morning," he responded, causing Changmin to look at him in confusion. Yunho began laughing again. "Changmin, you slept for almost fifteen hours."

Changmin's eyes became impossibly wider. "Wh-what?" he asked in shock. "Did I really sleep that long?"

Yunho nodded. "Hyung and I kept checking on you just to make sure you were still alive," he said. "You were really tired, so we understand. You really needed that rest." Yunho let out a sigh. "The fact that you slept this peacefully for so long without your medicine was really nice to see."

"I didn't know I was that tired," Changmin said.

Yunho scoffed. "Changmin you were exhausted," he reminded him. "You could barely walk after your trial."

Changmin bit his lip at that statement.

"How are you feeling now?" Yunho asked in genuine concern.

"Physically," Changmin began. "I feel pretty good; especially after sleeping so long. I haven't had a decent sleep in a really long time..." he trailed off.

"But...?" Yunho said, knowing there was more Changmin wanted to say.

Changmin sighed. "But..mentally, I don't know how to feel right now," he said, looking down to his lap. "I'm so happy that Jinsuk is going to prison for life but..." Changmin sighed again, this time beginning to play with his fingers in the process. "Every time we let our guard down, Jinsuk came back. Every time I started to feel happy, he'd come and ruin everything." Changmin felt his eyes watering up. "I'm just afraid to feel happy because I'll always have this lingering fear that no matter what happens, Jinsuk will come back for me. I want to be happy about all of this, I really do. But at the same time, I think it's safer not to be happy, so that when Jinsuk comes back, it won't be as heartbreaking as it was before."

At hearing his maknae's confession, Yunho felt breathless. He could understand Changmin's sentiments because some of it was true. Jinsuk did have a habit of showing up when everything seemed to be getting better. Jinsuk did always ruin Changmin's healing process. That always made Yunho hate Jinsuk even more. But Yunho really wanted Changmin to be happy.

Yunho gently cupped Changmin's cheek in his hand, forcing the maknae to look at him. He wiped a tear from the younger one's face. "Changmin-ah," Yunho said, his voice firm, but gentle. "Listen to me, okay? Jinsuk is out of your life. He's not coming back. Don't let him take away your happiness like this. He's not here and you'll never see him again. You promised all of us that you won't let Jinsuk win. Please don't do this to yourself. Jinsuk is gone for good. You're free now."

"I...I am, right?" Changmin asked after a while. "I really am free?"

Yunho nodded, and despite the smile he wore on his face, he felt his eyes watering as well. "Jinsuk isn't going to rob your happiness anymore," he said. "And the quicker you realize that, the better it will be for you."

Changmin smiled. "I don't like being so sad-"

"And no one likes seeing you sad," Yunho cut in. "It's everyone's wish that you're genuinely happy." 

There was silence for a while. Changmin bit his lip as he looked down to his lap again. 

"Where's Kangta Hyung?" he asked suddenly.

"He had to leave early this morning," Yunho said. "There were some schedules he had to take care of."

"Can we...can we go somewhere?" Changmin asked, surprising Yunho.

"Of course we can," Yunho quickly answered. He was surprised Changmin was ready to go out so soon, but Yunho was really glad he was. "Anywhere you want."

"Somewhere nice," Changmin said. "I...I want to take pictures."

Yunho nodded. Changmin hadn't used his camera at all since his kidnapping. "I can take you somewhere," Yunho finally said. "Um...how about the river?"

Changmin smiled. "The river would be nice."

"Do you know where your camera is?" Yunho asked, suddenly remembering that he had never actually seen Changmin's camera at all since they had moved into Kangta's house.

Changmin nodded. "BoA packed it for me," he answered. "I've...just never been motivated to use it until now."

Yunho smiled. "Get dressed," he commanded the maknae. 

Yunho and Changmin ride to the river mostly in silence. Changmin never really had too much to say anymore, and Yunho was okay with that. He knew Changmin just preferred to be quiet so he can take everything in.

Being in captivity for over a year can do that to you.

The radio is on, though neither of them were paying too much attention to it.

But their eyes widened as they heard a caller suggest a certain song on a radio.

"I would really like to hear 'Before U Go' by Dong Bang Shin Ki," a young girl's voice over the radio requested.

Yunho and Changmin shared a glance, their eyes still a bit wide.

"Oh," the radio MC replied. "That is really an amazing song, isn't it?"

"Yes," the girl replied. "I really love them. 'Before U Go' is my favorite song and I really hope they come out with another album soom."

"With Changmin's return, who knows?" the MC said. "They could have a CD out. SM hasn't said that DBSK is done. So only the future can tell us."

"When I found out that Changmin was kidnapped I couldn't stop crying," the girl over the radio said. "I'm really glad that he's back home and that he's safe now. I know his friends and family are taking care of him well. He deserves to be happy,"

"He does," the MC replied. "DBSK is so lucky to have fans like you."

"I'll wait another ten years if I have to," the girl continued. "I just want to hear Yunho and Changmin sing again."

"All of us do," the MC said. "It would be amazing to see them on stage again. Always keep the faith, right? It will happen someday." The MC sighed. "'Before U Go' really is a beautiful song. Here it is."

Changmin stared at the radio, completely stunned as their song began to play. He let out a soft laugh. "Are the fans...really waiting for us like that?" he asked in surprise.

Yunho nodded. "Of course they are," he replied. "We have some very loyal fans. We'd all be happy to see you on stage again."

"We?" Changmin asked.

"Well of course I'm your fan too, Changdola," Yunho replied with a smile. 

Changmin smiled shyly. The car was quiet again, besides their song on the radio. Changmin started humming along to it, tapping his fingers on his thigh slowly.

Yunho hadn't heard Changmin sing ever since the maknae was kidnapped. Right now, even something as small as Changmin softly humming along to one of their old songs made Yunho happy. He turned to his maknae, the younger one smiling as he was looking out the window and continuously humming, completely oblivious to Yunho's stares.

Yunho remembered when Changmin was in the hospital. He remembered when Changmin received Yuki's letter that was supposed to be mailed to him. He remembered how that simple letter had given Changmin a little bit more strength.

And now, Yunho was sure that what Changmin heard on the radio j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter