Countdown

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"He's being released today," Yunho suddenly announced, releasing a sigh as he shook his head.

Kyuhyun looked at him in confusion. "Who?" he asked. "Changmin?" He knew Changmin had been making a quicker recovery than the doctors had expected, but there was no way Changmin was ready to leave yet.

Yunho shook his head. "Jinsuk."

"Oh," Kyuhyun said before he scoffed, subconsciously holding Changmin closer to him. "And?" he replied, hoping there would be more to this announcement.

"He'll be in a cell until the trial," Yunho continued. 

"And it would be so unfortunate to have something happen to him between now and the trial, huh?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Define 'unfortunate'," Yunho immediately replied, causing the both of them to laugh.

Kyuhyun shrugged. "People like him don't last long in prison," he said. "They shouldn't anyway."

Yunho nodded. 

"Yunho Hyung," Kyuhyun said quietly, not wanting to disturb his sleeping friend. "Can you sit with Min now? My body's a little numb."

Yunho nodded. "Of course," he replied before the two of them started to switch places. Kyuhyun sat in a chair next to the bed while Yunho quickly took his place on the bed before hugging Changmin close to him. The maknae responded with a whine, stirring a little. But he quickly fell back to his deep slumber after that.

Either Changmin was really enjoying his sleep, or his medications were working their magic.

"He's probably gonna be really tired today," Kyuhyun guessed. "He didn't have a good night."

Yunho's eyes widened in alarm. "Did he have bad dreams again?"

Kyuhyun nodded, subconsciously rubbing at his side. "And I have the bruises to prove it." He scoffed.

"He was practically brain washed while he was gone," Yunho reasoned. "He still blames himself for everything that has happened." He shook his head, fiddling with Changmin's hair in the process. "What probably took Jinsuk a couple of weeks to do to Changmin will take us years to fix."

Kyuhyun sighed, knowing that statement was nothing but truthful.

"I'm going to have Changmin resume his therapy as soon as he fully recovers," Yunho said. 

"Good," Kyuhyun replied. "Just remember that I can take him some days too. Don't strain yourself."

Yunho smiled. "Thank you," he said. He knew that Kyuhyun wanted to be helpful, but he also knew that he wanted to spend time with Changmin without feeling like he was imposing himself. "He's lucky to have you as a friend. You know that, right?"

Kyuhyun smiled. "He's even luckier to have you as his hyung," he replied. "You're doing a really good job taking care of him."

"And I'm serious," Kyuhyun added as he noticed Yunho's facial expression drop. Kyuhyun could tell that Yunho was doubting that statement. "You're so devoted to making sure Changmin is okay. You make my head spin sometimes." Kyuhyun smiled. "He always talks about how good you are to him. He's really grateful to have you. I never said this, but thank you. Thank you for taking care of him. Thank you for making him feel safe. Thank you for always being there."

Yunho smiled. "Changmin talks about you too. Looks like he played both of us," Yunho teased. "But I get it. Changmin needs all of us. We can't take care of him if one of us is missing."

Kyuhyun nodded. "Agreed," he replied.

"Changmin?" Yunho said as he realized that Changmin was awake, staring at the two older ones in the room. 

Changmin started rubbing at his eyes.

"Are you hungry, Min?" Kyuhyun asked. "Do you want me to get you something to eat."

Changmin froze, as if he was thinking, before nodding his head. "Please?" he asked in response.

Kyuhyun smiled. "Sure," he said as he stood up. "I'll be right back, okay?" He took his leave, already knowing what Changmin would want to eat.

"How are you feeling right now?" Yunho asked his maknae.

Changmin shrugged. "A little sleepy," he answered in truth as he began to sit up.

"Does anything hurt?" Yunho asked. 

Changmin shook his head. "Really, Hyung," he replied. "I'm fine."

"Okay," Yunho said. "Just make sure to tell me if something's wrong."

Changmin nodded. "I will," he promised.

Kyuhyun walked in at that moment, carrying a bowl of hot ramyeon in his hands.

Yunho held his hands out, taking the bowl from Kyuhyun and letting Changmin have it. The two of them smiled as Changmin began eating, his face getting brighter with every bite.

"Wow," Kyuhyun said in amazement as he watched Changmin practically inhale his food. "You really are hungry." Kyuhyun took that as a good sign. It had been months, but it looked like Changmin was one step closer to getting his full apetite back.

"Slow down, Min," Yunho said with a laugh. "No one's planning on stealing your food."

Changmin gulped down the food in his mouth, still remembering his manners and the importance of not talking with a mouth full of food. "I've been doing nothing but sleeping," he said. "I don't understand why I'm so hungry." 

"Looks like all those days you refused to eat is finally catching up with you," Yunho joked. "This is why you should always listen to your hyung." 

Changmin rolled his eyes as he continued eating. 

"He's gonna choke," Kyuhyun stated as he shook his head.

"Just don't forget to breath, Min," Yunho warned Changmin.

"I'm done," Changmin said, handing Yunho the empty bowl. "Water?"

Yunho discarded the styrofoam bowl before reaching to the bedside table and pouring a glass for Changmin.

"Thank you," Changmin said as he accepted the glass, taking large sips before giving the empty glass back to Yunho. He started laying down again, letting out a sigh of content before closing his eyes.

"Wow," Kyuhyun said. "He wakes up only to eat before going back to sleep."

Changmin nodded. "That's what I've been doing my whole life."

Yunho smiled, shaking his head. "We'll use the excuse that you're injured and have been put on a thousand medications."

Changmin shook his head. "Thank you, Hyung." He looked to Kyuhyun. "At least someone understands."

Kyuhyun just glared at Changmin, but couldn't deny that Changmin's current state was very amusing.

Not a lot of time had passed before the door slowly opened. At first, they thought nothing of it, thinking it was just more friends of theirs. But once the door opened, Yunho found himself gasping in surprise, wanting to shield Changmin.

Kyuhyun instantly stood up. "What are you doing here?" he asked angrily. "Get out."

Jinsuk smiled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter