Baby Steps

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho felt his heart beat out of his chest as he heard Changmin's scream. When he and BoA barged into Changmin's room, they were both happy that Changmin was still there, but the sight of him broke their hearts.

It was obvious that he had just suffered through a brutal nightmare. Never had either of them seen Changmin looking so delirious.

Yunho ran straight towards Changmin, wrapping the younger one's tense body in a hug and forcing him to lean onto his hyung's chest. He tried to ignore the violent shivers and the weak fights coming from the scared one. "Min," Yunho said, trying to hide the fear in his voice but failing greatly. "It was just a dream, okay?"

Changmin started sobbing and crying violently, causing Yunho to hold him even tighter.

"Everything is going to be fine," he soothed, running his fingers through Changmin's hair.

Finally, Changmin spoke.

"He's here!" he yelled between sobs. "He came back!"

Yunho shook his head, though he knew Changmin couldn't see him. "No," he quickly said. "He's not back. It's just us. Look. You wanted to see BoA and she's here now."

Changmin only buried his face further into Yunho's chest, as if that action was going to save him from every bad thing in the world. "You left me!" Changmin said, causing Yunho to suddenly feel pain in his chest. "You left me and now he's here again! I heard him!"

"He's not here, Changmin," Yunho said, hoping he could convince Changmin that there was no danger besides the dark memories of his mind. He gave BoA a desperate look.

BoA came closer to the pair and sat down on the edge of Changmin's bed. She brought her hand onto Changmin's back and started rubbing circles onto it. "Min," she said sweetly. "Yunho wouldn't lie to you. That man isn't here. It's just us."

Yunho felt Changmin tighten his grip, not sure if Changmin had been convinced or not.

"But I heard him," Changmin argued, sounding a little more calm than before . "He was here."

Yunho shook his head. "No one's here, Min," he said. "I promise."

Changmin was silent, and Yunho wasn't really sure what that meant.

"Don't you trust me?" Yunho asked. He wouldn't blame Changmin if his answer was no. Yunho felt that he had failed him the first time anyway.

Changmin took several deep breaths, trying to calm himself down and believe Yunho's words. For the first time, he finally brought his head off from Yunho's chest, looking the leader straight into the eyes. Changmin nodded. "I'm sorry," he muttered. "I just...I got really scared."

A sad expression appeared on Yunho's face. "I know," he said. "You don't need to apologize for being scared," Yunho said. "I'm sorry for leaving you alone. It won't happen again."

Everyone sat in silence as Changmin's cries started to die down. 

"Changmin-ah," Yunho suddenly said, breaking the silence. "Did you scream because you had a bad dream...or because you heard his voice?"

Changmin was silent, causing Yunho to think that Changmin hadn't hear him. Yunho was about to ask again when Changmin finally began to speak. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "I...I don't know," he finally said. He gripped Yunho tighter. "I h-heard him...I really did...and you weren't here so I got scared and-"

"Don't be scared Min," he said. "I'm here. I always will be. I'm so sorry for leaving you alone. I shouldn't have done that."

"D-don't leave me, okay?" Changmin pleaded, as if he hadn't heard Yunho's previous assurances.

Yunho looked to BoA once again before speaking to Changmin. "I won't leave you," he promised.

"I'm tired," Changmin suddenly said.

BoA got closer and held Changmin's hand. "Then you should get some sleep," she said with a smile. "I'll head out."

Changmin looked to BoA. "I'm glad you came."

BoA felt her heart pull, but she did her best not to show it as she kissed his forehead. "Good night, Changmin."

Yunho looked down to Changmin. "I need to lock the door, okay?" he said as he slowly began to separate himself from Changmin.

Thankfully, BoA quickly put her hand on Yunho's shoulder. "No," she said. "You should stay with him so he can rest. " She gave a glance at Changmin before turning her attention back on Yunho. "Goodbye," she said as she began leaving the room. "Take care of Min for me."

Yunho nodded before letting a small smile cross his lips. He watched as BoA left, then listened carefully as the front door opened and closed.

"Hyung," Changmin whimpered before Yunho snapped his full attention back on Changmin.

Yunho helped position Changmin to lay down, before Yunho decided to lay down as well, allowing Changmin's head to rest on his chest. "Better?" Yunho asked Changmin, who nodded. "Good," he continued. "Go to sleep, Changmin. I promise I'll be with you all night."

"Really?" Changmin asked.

"Really," Yunho answered as he took the blanket and covered the two of them with it. "Now go to sleep, okay? You know I can't relax unless I know you're okay."

Changmin released a deep breath before his eyes began closing.

"Good night, Changmin."

Yunho received a call from Kyuhyun saying that he had cancelled his schedules and desperately wanted to see Changmin.

Changmin was still latched into his leader. He was still asleep, last night's events had taken a large toll on him. Yunho watched Changmin sleep peacefully, a small smile forming on his face as the maknae had finally reached a state of pure oblivion. Yunho was happy to see this.

Even after Yunho assured him that he would stay with him all night, Changmin still woke periodically during the night, completely scared and disoriented. Yunho's heart broke every time Changmin woke up in tears trying to separate his nightmares from reality.

Reluctantly, Yunho started rubbing Changmin's arm in an effort to wake him up from his peaceful sleep. "Changmin," Yunho said gently. "It's time to wake up."

Changmin only moaned, stirring a little before going back to sleep.

"Changmin," Yunho tried again. This time he was rewarded with Changmin opening his eyes, blinking a few times, and closing them once again. Yunho sighed. "Kyu is coming over today," he announced. "You want to see him, right?"

Changmin moaned again, his eyes opening slightly, glaring at Yunho through his disheveled hair. "I'm really tired, Hyung," he said sleepily, still not comprehending what Yunho was telling him.

Yunho sighed. He hadn't taken that into account when he told Kyuhyun he could come over. Of course Changmin would be tired; he just returned from what was the most traumatic experience of his life. Yunho thought Kyuhyun coming over would help, but seeing as how Changmin was currently acting...

"When is he coming?" Changmin asked, still not moving.

Yunho scratched his head. "Well...I forgot to pick up a few things for you on the way back from the hospital, so Kyuhyun's going to get that for me as well," he began. "So...maybe in about an hour," Yunho answered. "But I thought I would wake you up now in case you wanted to shower or something."

Changmin stayed quiet. Come to think of it, he never got the chance to take a bath since he'd been rescued. "Yeah," he finally said with a nod. "Shower."

Yunho smiled. "Okay," he replied, as Changmin slowly separated himself from Yunho. "I think there's a towel in your closet. I'll get that and some clothes for you. Will you be okay? I'll only be gone for a few seconds?" he asked. When Changmin nodded, he began getting up to get Changmin's things.

"Hyung," Changmin said, causing Yunho to stop dead in his tracks.

"Yes, Min?" Yunho replied.

Changmin looked away before turning back to Yunho. "Do you think...do you think we have time to cut my hair?" he asked, touching the long strands in disgust. 

Yunho nodded. "We can make time," he answered. "Um...Do you want me to cut it?"

Changmin nodded.

Yunho hadn't cut hair before, so he wasn't quite sure how this would turn out. But hey, how hard could cutting hair be?

Yunho smiled before ruffling Changmin's hair. "Come on," he said as he slowly rose from bed, commanding Changmin to get out of bed and get his day started as well. "Oh," he said, suddenly remembering something. "Are you in any pain right now?"

One of the things Yunho didn't pick up was Changmin's pain medication from the pharm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter