RULE # 33: DON'T FOLLOW ANYONE ELSE

Breaking Rules STORY BY KENZO

 

Posted Image

 

Pushed to the wall

 

Teddy was trying to control himself from breaking Mr. Song’s neck, his knuckles were turning white with the pressure.

“Mr. Song, you are a most valued partner of mine but I cannot agree to do this. The girls are performers, not es.”

“Teddy… Teddy” the older man said with an air of irritation “You create groups such as these… the Wondergirls, 2NE1… then you don’t want anyone sharing them with you.”

Mr. Song was consciously being obtuse. He knew what Teddy meant but did not give a care for it. He had come to dictate his terms.

“I created them to perform – nothing more and nothing less” the Manager answered.

Song Yu Seuk, a well-known business man knew resolve when he saw it, and had to shake his head in helplessness. “You are making this all the more difficult Park.”

“I will not agree to it.”

The older man drew a deep breath and looked resolutely at Teddy “Then so be it” he dragged “but I will have you promise me one thing.”

Teddy had already exhaled a sigh of relief at Yu Seuk’s first words but the promise he was being asked to make… “What is it?”

“No one” Mr. Song begin “and I really mean NO ONE amongst your 2NE1 girls is allowed to have a boyfriend for five years.”

“WHAT?!?!?!”

“And should I hear that any of them become involved with anyone… I and the other investors will pull out from all of your projects. We will close down this club, the L.A. club, and the plans you have for a club in Japan and we will sink you so low that you can never emerge again.”

“This is crazy!” Teddy exclaimed at the threat.

The businessman appeared not to be flustered by the anger in Teddy’s voice. “No, Teddy. It is only fitting. You refuse your most ardent patrons the opportunity to have these women despite displaying them so blatantly. You tease us yet you never give in… then the punishment that you so richly deserve shall fall on their heads.”

Grinding his teeth in utmost fury “They are PERFORMERS as I have always told you.”

“But you didn’t deal like this before Teddy… Need I remind you where I took you away from? Need I remind you of a history you so proudly tell others? You are a pimp Teddy and though, we appreciate your change… it doesn’t suit us to find that you have totally deviated from who we want you to be. This is still, after all, business. We will let pass your refusal for the WonderGirls and 2NE1 but the next group that comes along must be based on our standards and not yours.”

With that, Song Yun Seuk took his leave, fueling Teddy’s rage all the more.

The Manager punched his table in absolute frustration and cursed the heavens. He was finally building a name for himself… he had finally established something that didn’t dirty his hands and these people… people who he had previously thought were angels sent by God backlashed on him.

“This is all my fault” he whispered to himself in aggravation, picturing how the girls would react to the news.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It all falls down

 

Teddy had not been showing himself for two days but Ji didn’t really take the absence seriously. The Manager had a habit of disappearing and returning with a new project on hand – like launching him for solo performances, prepping up YB as well, and giving hints that he might do the same for the rest of the group to be able to market them anywhere and have them rotate performance in the clubs.

He knew the creative decisions were not merely Teddy’s as there were valued partners of the club too who he had been able to meet before.

However, when he saw a glimpse of Teddy yesterday, a black cloud hung over the Manager.

And the meeting he was calling for gave Ji pricks in the neck. It was the same feeling he had whenever he felt like something was going to go absolutely wrong.

“Are you ok oppa?” CL asked him, instinctively lifting her hands to massage his back.

Ji wanted to tell her he was worried about this meeting but found that his fears could be unfounded.

“Noona! Noona!” Seung-ri was shouting excitedly as Dara and Minji walked in “Sit beside me!”

Dara smiled warmly at that and Ji got distracted from his thoughts for a while. “God! That smile will kill me”, he thought to himself as he looked at her via the training room’s mirrors.

As Seung-ri was making a fuss of arranging where Dara and Minji will sit (that irritated the hell out of CL), Bom walked in with Daesung and Teddy.

“How is everyone?” Teddy asked.

It was customary for him to always ask them that, Ji knew, but this time around, the Kwon Leader felt like the question was acting like a test… the Manager was testing the waters.

“We’re great!” CL answered enthusiastically.

“We’re doing good Manager” the rest of them answered.

Teddy smiled, looking at them one by one before speaking. “I’m happy to hear that because I will need to talk to you about something very serious.”

Ji felt his heartbeat speed up. “Is there something wrong Manager?”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Against the world

 

If there was a war going on outside and their training building was the only one standing, Dara would have never known.

Manager Teddy’s confession and announcement had all stunned them and she saw by the looks of her friends that they were all feeling the same way.

“This is a burden that I have created for myself” Teddy continued “and I do not want to give this burden to you. From now on… I am disbanding 2NE1.”

“Manager!!!”

“Teddy-oppa!!!”

“WHAT?!?!”

“NO WAY!!!!”

“Manager, don’t do this!!!”

Teddy inhaled and put up his hand to stop the onslaught of reactions. “My decision is final. I will not allow any of you to take the bullet for me. This conversation is final.”

Walking away from them, Teddy went straight for the door as CL ran after him.

The girl was able to take hold of his sleeve. “We will accept the punishment for you Teddy-oppa. Five years is not that long!”

Teddy looked at her, his whole profile devastated. The decision had been as hard for him as it was for them. “Do not speak in haste CL. That decision will affect not only you but also that of your group members” he faced her and put a hand on her shoulders “You remain their leader still. You must act based on what is good for your group. You must consider their feelings as well. Thank you for your offer but I will not take it.”

The Manager looked one last time at all of them and bowed.

Dara felt her heart break at that moment and she felt her feet wobble. “I should have known that all good things come to an end” she thought and looked at Ji, who was looking at her too “Why am I always taken away from him? Are we never going to be together?”