RULE # 10: THINK BEFORE YOU ACT

Breaking Rules STORY BY KENZO

Posted Image

 

Choices

 

 

Three years ago…Dara re-read her boyfriend’s message - unable to reply immediately.

“He’s a very good friend” she typed in her chat box.Joseph was asking about a picture of her and Ji Yong at Happy Land.

She had posted it on her social web page, taking for granted that it could look rather different to another person.

It was quite a cute and happy picture of the both of them and she just felt really glad looking at it.

You don’t look like ‘just’ very good friends” her boyfriend accused.She tried to divert the conversation

“I know. We look like sister and brother right? By the way, I bought a lot of ‘pasalubong’ for you and everybody else. How are you guys?

”It worked. Joseph narrated what had happened while she was gone. He had been offered a modeling gig and had gone out, recently, with some of their batch mates. One of her friends, Roxanne, was pursuing a career in acting on stage. She and Joseph had been invited to watch her debut.She reacted as expected and didn’t show that she was being torn up inside.What was she feeling for Ji Yong really? He made her happy, that much she was sure but wasn’t she just missing Joseph? Didn’t Ji just act as a replacement? She honestly didn’t know… but everytime she closed her eyes… it wasn’t Joseph’s face she saw… it was Ji.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A night with fireflies

 

The eve of Dara’s departure, Ji knocked on her window and asked her to meet him at the playground.

He’d miss doing that he was sure.

“You’re leaving tomorrow” he began, a lump in his throat as they seated themselves on the swings “so, Han asked me to give you this coz she couldn’t make it tonight.

”Dara opened the parcel and got teary-eyed - it was a pair of the firefly earrings they both wanted.

“Oh my. Oh my” she said, fighting back tears

“How sweet of Han.”

“There’s also a note there but she said you should read it when you’re already on the plane.

”She saw the note and folded it.

“I’ll wear these earrings tomorrow for good luck.”Ji smiled.

He wouldn’t make this good-bye a sad one… hell. He wasn’t going to treat this as a goodbye at all. They’ll see each other soon… very very soon.

“Hyung also wanted you to have this. He says it’s because you are such a kid.”It was a stuffed mini-bear, one that could act as a key-chain.

Dara’s eyes watered. “Oh! Those two!”

He watched as she held both gifts to her heart and uttered a thank you.

“I feel so sad that I couldn’t see them” she proclaimed.

“Well, you’ll see them soon won’t you? I’m sure you’ll have vacations here.”

Dara nodded. “Of course. Of course.”

“So you’ll still get to see all of us. Just make sure to stay in touch when you get there.”

“I will” she sniffed, still not letting her tears fall.

“Hey! How about you? Don’t I have a going away present from you?”

He shook his head. “It’s a bother to buy you one.”

She punched his arm. “You’re not very kind at all.”

“Why should I give you a present when I don’t have a present from you too?” he asked “Since you’re leaving, I think you should also give us something to remember you by.”

“That’s unfair” she condemned, forgetting about her tears “That’s not how tradition is.”

“You’re wrong. We have a different tradition” he explained “the one leaving should also give something.”

“Hong!” Ji laughed. “Geeezzz… And here I was thinking that all those things you bought the other day were for us. Han and Se7en expect to get a gift from you too.”

“You’re just making that up.”

“You can ask them” he replied, much to her frustration. He knew she wouldn’t do that. It would be embarrassing.

“You know I won’t do that” she answered “but I’ll look for gifts for them. AND I won’t have any for you!”

“You are such a baby.”

“Hah! Look who’s talking? Dongsaeng!”

“Dongsaeng??? I act older than you. You! You should be a maknae!”

“Maknae???”And on they bickered for a good thirty minutes until they were both huffing and puffing with irritation.“I don’t know why I’m even talking to you” Dara told him.

“Really? I think it’s because you like me and won’t admit it.”

“Me??? Like you??? Please!!!”

“Look at you… always trying to hide that you like me. Well… I just might give you a chance if you give me a gift. But don’t get your hopes up.

”Dara wagged her tongue at him and stood up from the swing. “I’m going home! You just ruined my almost-perfect day!” She walked away, without looking at him.He ran after her and held her by the arm.

“You’re not a good sport at all.” And was surprised to see that a tear had slid down her cheek.

“Hey!”

“Let me go” she told him, flaming up that he should see her cry.

“I was just joking” he explained.

“I know” she answered and this time, ran towards their gate “but you are such a jerk!”Ji ran after her. This wasn’t how he imagined this night to end.“Dara!” he held her by the arm again, panting a little.

“What?!?” She looked so furious, fighting against his hold.

“Can you stay still???” he asked, matching her tone.

She inhaled deeply and flashed him a piercing look.

“Oh this woman”, he thought.Ji, suddenly, hugged her and kissed her forehead. He knew that he’d caught her off-guard. She froze at what he did but didn’t move away. “This is my ‘see-you-soon’ gift” he whispered, hugging her tighter to him as he felt her, almost against her will, relax.

“Return as quick as you can, ok? I’ll wait for you.”

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Following tradition

 

Unable to bear to say goodbye to him without turning into a puddle of tears, Dara asked him to promise to not show himself when they leave.

Looking one last time at his room’s window, she knew that he left for an errand. He posted a note saying: “Went to market. Have a safe trip, ok? I’ll talk to you later.

”No goodbyes.“Noona!” his brother shouted from downstairs “Come on! We’ve got to go!

”She gulped, inhaling a deep deep breath. “I’ll be down there. I’m just going to grab some thing!” she answered.

Dara looked for her note pad and wrote something. She posted it on her window and looked one last time at his.

 

“I’ll miss you Ji. I really really will” she said aloud to her room.

 

 

=========================================

 

His mother looked at him weirdly. He had explained that he wasn’t there to say good-bye to the Parks because he had a very very important errand. “Besides, they’ll be back for vacation” he added “We’ll see them soon enough.

”Mrs. Kwon, evidently, did not like his answer.

“Haisssshhhh. I don’t know why Dara even left a gift for you. I should have told her to just throw it away.

”He kept his mouth shut and proceeded to take Dara’s gifts to his room. She had left the bag with his mother and explained that it Ji would know who to give them to.It was already dark outside and he stayed away longer than he originally planned to make sure that he wouldn’t have the slightest chance of seeing the Parks leave.He opened the bag and saw three boxes.

One was for Se7en, one was for Han, and one was for him. Unhurriedly, he opened her gift to him.He almost cried out. It was Lin’s photo of the two of them riding the carousel.

She framed it and put in thought balloons.Hers said - AngelHis said - Devil“Crazy woman” he thought, unable to help himself from smiling. He stood up from his bed and decided to put the picture on his desk. He remembered the note he left for her and opened his curtains. Almost immediately, his eyes locked on a note she left on her window.He tried harder not to succumb to the numbing feeling of wanting to cry.

 

“I’ll talk to you later. I want Han’s specialty and Crab Paste Soy Sauce. Kekeke. See you Ji.”

 

It felt as though she’d suddenly just pop out of her window but the darkness of her room reminded Ji of the truth. She’s a thousand miles away now… a thousand miles away.