Picture

Daddy?

 

“Appa?” Daniel called out softly. The room was empty. He made sure that the door was locked before coming forward and kneeling down in front of the large bed. “Appa?” He called out again as he peeked underneath. Minsoo was curled up in the corner, only his sniffles being audible. Daniel lay down and scooted under the bed with him. “Appa?” Minsoo didn’t answer him, but just clutched something closer to his chest. Daniel felt sad seeing his father so upset. He didn’t like how he started to question him after a mistake, and now he felt guilty. “Daddy?”  Minsoo didn’t say anything, but he nodded in acknowledgement.

Daniel reached out and grabbed onto one of his father’s hands. He held them tightly and looked to see that Minsoo was holding onto a picture of him and his sister. It was when he held them both as they were baptized. Daniel was only about four and his sister was five. He remembered how much his father cared for them even though he was only fifteen.

“Daddy?” He spoke again. He leaned forward and pulled his father into an embrace. Minsoo accepted and just let himself to calm down. They laid there for a while before Daniel heard someone pick the lock. Only one other member knew how to pick Minsoo’s lock.

“Minsoo? Daniel?” Daniel saw some feet walk in. He looked at his father, and Minsoo nodded. He took his picture and put it in his shirt before they both came crawling out. The boy turned around in confusion. “What the hell!?” He stumbled before falling onto the ground. “You two almost gave me a heart attack!”

Daniel smiled in amusement before reaching a hand out to help him up.

“Sorry, L Joe.” L Joe just smiled before accepting his hand and getting up. He looked over to Minsoo and saw his red eyes and saddened expression. L Joe went and grabbed Minsoo’s hand before pulling him to sit on the bed. He motioned for Daniel to sit next to him as well, and Daniel obliged.

“Okay, now I know you must not have meant what you said, but at least talk it out so it can leave your conscience.” Minsoo nodded and L Joe rubbed his back. Daniel looked on, just noticing how gentle L Joe was being.

‘He’s not usually this nice,’ thought Daniel. He let it go though, focusing more on his father. They sat together for a while as Minsoo thought.

“It was an accident,” he said. L Joe nodded and waited. “Manager said that he wanted me to be funny. I’m not a funny guy, and that was the first thing that came to my mind. I really didn’t mean it. I don’t even want to get married, and I don’t want to hurt someone else. It was all just a stupid mistake.” L Joe just leaned in and hugged him tight.

“It’s okay. I understand and the others will as well. Chunji will calm down and be okay later, and we can talk to Manager first thing in the morning.” Minsoo nodded while Daniel looked on in awe.

Knock. Knock.

“Are you guys okay?” They heard someone ask.  Daniel and L Joe looked at Minsoo who nodded.

“I should go out. I’m the leader and the oldest. I have to set an example.” They nodded and Minsoo wiped his eyes and got up to the door. He was met with Changjo. “I’m fine. Let’s all talk in the main room and I’ll explain.” Changjo nodded before stepping aside. He let L Joe and Daniel out, but before Daniel could leave, Changjo gently grabbed his arm

“Are you guys okay?” He asked. Daniel simply nodded.

“Yeah, L Joe helped him out.” For some reason, Changjo felt happy, yet hurt. He didn’t care though, and just followed them into the main room.

Throughout the meeting, even though his face didn’t betray it, there was energy of anger, jealousy, and rejection emanating from one of the members as they watch Daniel and Minsoo sitting just a little too closely.

“Are you okay, Ricky?” Asked Chunji quietly as they separated. He merely nodded before entering his room.