Gay

Daddy?

 

“Just don’t mind what Ricky said. He was just blowing things out of proportion, so please just don’t take it too seriously.” Minsoo sighed as he looked at L Joe with a slight air of apprehension.

“I know, I know.” He sighs and rubs his neck, “It’s just that…” ‘He’s my son,’ he thinks, but he doesn’t voice it. L Joe just grabs his hand and smiles up at him.

“I know; we’re members, more like brothers now. I understand.” Minsoo merely nods. “And listen here,” L Joe puts a finger to his face before continuing, “You may know Ricky longer than me, but I know his type of character better. I used to have a friend in the states that acted like him, so when he gets home, he is going to ignore everyone and lock himself somewhere. Leave him for today, but if he doesn’t fix his attitude by tomorrow afternoon, then do something.” Minsoo just nodded. He’s supposed to be the leader, the oldest, the father, yet he’s taking advice from someone almost ten years younger than him.

“I also need to talk to Niel when you’re done with him. I figured that I should tell him and Changjo and warn them so that they don’t try to confront Ricky.” L Joe patted Minsoo’s arm before walking to his room. He sighed a he ran his hand through his short hair. He turned as Daniel walked out of his room.

“Curfew,” whispered Daniel before heading to LJoe’s room. “I’ll talk to you later,” he said before closing the door behind him. He sighed in resignation and exhaustion before heading to his room.

“I need to sleep.”

Daniel quietly peaked his head into the room and saw LJoe and Changjo sitting very closely, with LJoe’s arm around his shoulders. He felt a small stutter in his heart, but he ignored it and came in completely, making sure to close the door behind him. L Joe looked up and smiled before scooting over and letting Daniel sit between him and Changjo. He smiled lightly before making himself comfortable.

“Okay, so first, after this, don’t try to go up to Ricky. Let him fix it himself first. Okay?” L Joe looked at Changjo and Daniel expectantly, but they just started to chuckle.

“We’ve known Ricky long enough to know how bratty he can be,” said Changjo. In all honesty, he has seen Ricky lose his temper at home and become completely silent while he throws a tantrum here at the dorm.

“Minsoo is the only one who really can’t see behind Ricky’s “cute” mask,” added Daniel. Daniel knew why though. He is a father, and Ricky acts too adorable and innocent at times. It doesn’t help that he looks like Seunghyun, but Daniel couldn’t blame him. He likes to spoil Ricky as well, but he hasn’t done so lately since Ricky has started acting distant. “He’s probably just going through puberty,” said Daniel. Changjo just nodded in agreement and L Joe just couldn’t help but laugh along.

“Don’t worry hyung, we won’t try to start anything.” L Joe nodded to Changjo before making himself comfortable on the bed.

“Well,” he started, “We got into an argument.”

Daniel rolled his eyes in a fashion that expressed that, ‘Yes, I know.’ L Joe just kicked him in the arm. Daniel gasped and held his arm; Changjo wrapped his arm around Daniel and rubbed his arm as well with his injured hand. L Joe looked at them with a flicker of amusement before continuing.

“Well, he got upset because you two were taking a bath together again. I think he’s jealous that we’re not pampering him like usual. So he then he made an innuendo that Changjo was going to try and sleep with you and then said you were gay just because you are one of the more feminine members.”

“So why did you get mad?” Questioned Daniel. L Joe looked at how Daniel and Changjo were still sitting together rather comfortably, but he saw hesitation in Changjo’s eyes. “Do you not like gays?” Changjo started to chuckle and Daniel turned to him in confusion. L Joe laughed as well, but he shouldn’t be surprised.

“No, I am gay, so I’m not against gay men or women.” L Joe looked at Daniel expectantly, but all he did was nod in understanding. He didn’t show signs of confusion or shock. “You don’t look surprised.”

“No, it’s okay,” said Daniel. “I still don’t know you that well even though we’re friends. I was taught to not expect the expected, because when you do, something different happens. I never really looked into it, because honestly, it’s none of my business.” L Joe nodded in understanding and smiled at how mature his dongsaeng was acting.

“Well, anyway, I was more so upset at how disgusted and angry he seemed about the idea of either of you two being gay. It brought up bad memories from when I was bullied before I went to the states. I was so quiet when I arrived at the US because I was a foreign kid who didn’t know the language and was gay. I mean, I was basically traumatized back here in Korea, and I didn’t want it to happen again.” L Joe paused for a moment and watched at how Daniel was just attentive, but did not interrupt. His expression was attentive, but L Joe could not tell what he was thinking.

“Anyway, it took a while, but I finally made friends. I didn’t tell anyone I was gay, my parents knew, but they were okay. They really didn’t care and treated me the same. My mom said she knew from before I was born because she saw some fortune teller or something. They’re both really superstitious, so they came to terms with it even before I was born.” L Joe laughed as recounted the story he was told and he saw amusement in Changjo and Daniel’s eyes.

“It wasn’t until I met and fell in love with a girl, well I thought she was a girl, but she was actually transual. She was born a boy, but lived like a girl. Her parents accepted it, and technically she was a boy, but we never actually got together because I knew she was leaving soon. I still refer to her as a girl in interviews, because that’s what she said she was.”

“I came out to my friends, and they were okay with it. I still got picked on at times, but my friends stood up for me. I learned how to cuss people out real good in English because of them.” He laughed at how childish his friends were, but could not help miss them.

“What got me mad was that Ricky seemed so angry and disgusted at the idea of you two even being gay. I had to live with that, but I don’t like the idea of one of our members being like that. I was actually going to come out to you all one by one, but now I doubt it.” L Joe stopped and was tackled into a hug by Daniel.

“It’s okay hyung,” he said. “Take your time. I still love you anyway.” He leaned back and smiled before being pulled back by Changjo. “We won’t say anything, and don’t worry, we won’t let Ricky mess with us.”

L Joe nodded before standing and stretching. Changjo still had Daniel in his arms, but Daniel didn’t mind. He liked being held by Changjo because he felt like he’s being held by a bear.

“Let’s get something to eat,” Changjo suggested. Both nodded before heading towards the door.

Bzzzz.

“I’ll be right there, I’m just going to take this call,” said Daniel. They both nodded before heading out; Changjo lingering for a second before leaving. Daniel looked at the phone, but it was a blocked number.

“Hello?” He answered. All he heard was labored breathing. “Hello?” He asked again.

“SHINee’s back,” the other side whispered before hanging up. Daniel looked at his phone before smiling.

“Minho’s back,” he whispered before leaving to meet the others.