Change

Daddy?

 

“Daddy!” Both of the children ran out the doors and ran to their father. The young father was with an older gentleman, so the other children and the teachers just assumed that he was the father. The young father reached his hands out and the two children grasped onto them without a second thought and they started to walk away.

They walked in silence for a while until they reached a small house. They all sat comfortable around a small table while they waited for the older gentleman to come join them. The house was painted antique white and there were many photographs of family and friends. There were even pictures of the young father holding two small babies with a large smile on his face.

Both Daniel and Jun-hee sat quietly. They didn’t bother to look around, for they have been to this house before. Daniel was starting to get bored, so he started to just hum a simple tune. His sister joined in and they both rocked back and forth. The young father looked at them with admiration before shifting his attention to the older gentleman as he came back into the room with a tray of tea.

He poured them all their tea and sat down. They took a sip before entering silence once again.

“Minsoo.” The older gentleman broke the silence. “Is it done?” The young father, Minsoo, nodded his head. Both Daniel and Jun-hee looked up to their father with a questioning look. Minsoo took a deep breath before looking over to his children.

“I want both of you to just listen and not interrupt until I finish.” They both nodded and looked at their father with even more curiosity, and a little bit of fear. “I am having both of you adopted.” Both Daniel and Jun-hee both had their eyes open wide and jump in shock. They were about to speak, but Minsoo held his finger up, indicating that he wasn’t done.  Both of them had tears in their eyes, fear overtaking them.

“I’m not leaving you two.” He keeps his voice soft and low, trying the best e can to comfort them. “It’s mostly a formality thing. Both of you are young, and I don’t want your future to be defined because of me.” He stopped for a moment for them to understand. “I know you two want to be famous, and I’m doing what I can to make it possible. You are not going to someone unknown. You two are just going to be taken in by my two uncles and their families.” Both of them nodded and started to wipe away their tears. “Daniel will stay with Chin Ho and Jun-hee will stay with Chung Hee next door. He’ll be home tonight.”

“What about you, daddy?” Asked Daniel. He looked up to his father with teary eyes, fear and worry evident in his large eyes.

“I’ll be working and going to school, but I’ll be trying to come and see you two every day.” He smiled and ruffled Daniels hair. “They even agreed to join the back yards for you two.” Daniel nodded before rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

“So we won’t be Bang anymore, daddy?” Minsoo looked over to his daughter and nodded. He was losing his connections with his children, but they will always be his.

“For now on, you will be Choi Jun-hee and your brother will be Ahn Daniel.” He looked Danile in the eye before continuing. “You will have a brother now, so be nice.” Daniel nodded and hugged his father close. Minsoo motioned for Jun-hee to join in, and he hugged her tightly. He refused to let his tears fall.

“Just think of it as being in one big family.” They both nodded into his chest. He rocked them back and forth.

They spent the rest of the day talking and having fun together. They spent time with the new families, and said their byes when Minsoo had to go home. He never went back to school though. He had a job and went around auditioning. No matter what, he always went to see his children.