Daegu

Daddy?

 

“Ow! Do we really have to go like this?!” Daniel whisper shouted. Minsoo looked back at his son and couldn’t help but laugh at him. Daniel was dressed in a polka dotted blue and white dress with heals, earrings, subtle makeup, and a black wig. In all honesty, he was barely recognizable. You could only really tell if you lifted the fake bang out of his eyes and removed the double eyelid tape.

“Yes, Daniella. You do.” Daniel huffed and pouted as he looked his father up and down. His father was wearing dark washed jeans, a fitted black dress shirt, a short black wig, double eyelid tape, and a fedora. He looked younger, but he has always looked young for his age.

“But why do you get to be a man and I have to dress like a girl?” He whined. Minsoo laughed at how his son’s voice raised to a squeal and how it broke.

“Because my voice can’t go that high,” he joked before blocking Daniel’s flying purse. Daniel tripped and fumbled, but Minsoo caught him before he fell.

“Such a cute couple!” They heard the whispers, but ignored it. They were used to people calling them a couple as CAP and Niel, so this is no different to them. 

“And why are you calling me Daniella? Why can’t I be Jun-hee?” Minsoo looked at his son before laughing. “What!?”

“I already have a daughter named Jun-hee. Why do you want your sister’s name?” Daniel huffed and walked off having Minsoo catch up with him.

“ID.” Daniel and Minsoo looked up at the security officer before Daniel went through his purse and brought out two IDs for them. The man took them and examined them before returning them and stepping aside. “Enjoy your day,” he said as he stepped aside. Daniel and Minsoo bowed as they walked in. Minsoo walked right behind Daniel as he noticed the security officer staring after them with his eyes just a little too low.

They rounded the corner before Minsoo took Daniel’s hand and lead him through the maze of hallways, making sure not to run after anyone. Minsoo kept a swift pace, but kept slow enough so that Daniel didn’t trip and fall again. They reached a door before lightly knocking. The door swung open and they were met with blonde hair.

“Yes?” The man asked. Minsoo stepped back, and so did Daniel. They both bowed in greeting before Minsoo spoke

“We’re here to see Minho.” The blonde opened his mouth and called out for before he stood aside and let them in. Daniel kept his hand clutched in Minsoo’s and his other keeping his skirt down. The boy with the blonde hair eyed them as they entered, but didn’t do anything.

“Daniella! Minhyung!” Minho came in with open arms and hugged them both. The blonde haired boy looked on in shock as he saw Minho hug both the man and woman. “I’m so happy you could make it!” Minho held them both around the shoulders and pulled them close. He saw the blonde haired boy staring at them, so he decided to “introduce” them.

“Key,” the blonde boy, Key, looked at him. “These are my old friends from childhood. They’re like family.” He smiled before standing back and presenting them. “This is Daniella, and this is Minhyung.” Both Daniel and Minsoo smiled and bowed politely towards Key with a bright smile.

“You have big lips.” Daniel’s eyes widen slightly in shock as he put his fingers to his lips before smiling. “Are you foreign?” Key asked as he came closer. Daniel just smiled and shook his head, letting his hair shake before it fell around his shoulders again. “So you’re Korean?” Daniel nodded. “Why don’t you say anything?” Daniel just shrugged his shoulders and smiled in amusement as Key’s face scrunched up in confusion.

“Leave Daniella alone,” Minho cut in. “She’s a quiet person, now leave us so that we can catch up.” Key looked at Minho, then back at Daniella before leaving. He ignored Minsoo though, and muttered something under his breath before closing the door.

“Hey, little bro. How’s it going?” Minsoo quickly turned and gave Minho a hug before he let Daniel hug him. “How’s the comeback going?” Minho smiled and let them sit on the couch before he pulled up a seat.

“It’s tiring, hyung. But, it’s worth it.” He smiled and sat back.

“Too bad our comebacks didn’t overlap,” said Daniel. “Then we could have talked back stage instead of sneaking out.” Minho started laughing. “What?” He shook his head. “What?!” He whined, voice raising an octave as it broke.

“I just can’t believe you still have that outfit. And your voice got deeper compared to last time.” She shook with laughter and Daniel just crossed his arms and pouted. “And who did your makeup this time? Last time you were a mess.” Daniel stuck out his tongue at Minho before answering.

“I did it this time. Last time Daddy did it I looked like a clown.” Minsoo shoved him lightly but Daniel just shoved him back. “That red crop top and big hoop earrings didn’t help either,” he whined. Minho laughed and stood up.

“So anyway, we just wanted to make sure you were okay,” said Minho. Minho just laughed as he brought out some banana milk and a banana. “I know that you guys tend to push yourselves too much at times.” Minho scoffed before throwing them both the food.

“Like you two are ones to talk.” Daniel wasted no time in opening the milk carton and started drinking it as Minsoo ate his banana. He shrugged and nodded. “Then again, I still owe you for the audition,” continued Minho. Minsoo waved a hand.

“It wasn’t even me. I helped you fill out the form, but remember that it was Siwon who got you the opportunity.” Minho nodded as he stared down at his hands.

“I didn’t even know you could do that!” The three of them looked up as four people walked into the room. Key was one of them, talking to a shorter man in the back while two others spoke in the front. They stopped as they realized that they had company in their waiting room. “Um, hi,” said the boy with the long hair. The boy beside him merely smiled and waved. The boy with blonde hair rolled his eyes as the shorter boy pushed his way forward towards Minho.

“Minho, you didn’t tell us that we had company,” the short boy said as he smiled at both Daniel and Minsoo, but more so Daniel. Minho merely rolled his eyes as the boy came closer and bowed a greeting before smiling taking Daniel’s hand. “Hello, you must know me as Jonghyun, but what is your name miss?” Daniel still had the straw from the banana milk between his lips, so he didn’t speak. He was relieved when Minsoo pulled him closer by the waste protectively and when Mnho pulled Jonghyun back from the collar.

“Leave her alone, Jonghyun,” warned Minho. He pulled his shorter member away from his nephew and Key held onto him for Minho. “Thanks, Key.” Key nodded and held Jonghyun in place. The other two boys were standing back and looking on awkwardly as they stood just a little too close. Minho waved them over, but they just stood, fidgeting in confusion.

“Taemin, Onew, come here,” called out Key. They both seemed to come out of their stupor and hurriedly walked over to Key and Jonghyun’s side. They glanced at each other, but put their attention forward when Minho called out to them once more.

“These are my child hood friends, Daniella and Minhyung.” Both Daniel and Minsoo bowed and waved, but not much else. Daniel kept sipping his milk quietly in hopes to not speak.

“Is that mine?” The one with the long hair, Taemin, questioned. Minho laughed and waved his hand.

“Naw, I bought it before we came.” Taemin pouted. “What?”

“You never buy me banana milk anymore,” he complained. The other member, Onew, put his hand on his head before smiling at him.

“I’ll buy you some after. You haven’t had any in a while, so it will be a comeback special,” he said quietly. Taemin merely nodded before looking back at Minsoo and Daniel

“Oh, I’m Taemin. Nice to meet you,” he said softly before bowing. Onew followed his lead and introduced himself as well. Both Minsoo and Daniel just waved a hello, but kept silent. They felt a little awkward in this situation, but they smiled through it.  “Daniella?” Taemin called out. Daniel looked up to him, but didn’t say a thing. “Why are you dressed like that?” Daniel just looked up at him in confusion and so did Minsoo and Minho.

“What do you mean?” Asked Minho.

“Like, why is a man dressed as a girl?” Daniel choked and spit up some of the banana milk he was drinking and Minsoo rubbed his back to calm down. Minho and the others looked at him with mouth agape and eyes bulging, except Key, who was eyeing Daniel. “I mean, they make me dress like a girl all the time, but that’s for entertainment and-,”

“That’s enough Taemin,” cut in Minho. “That is very rude to say. I have known Daniella since we were children and it’s just rude to call a girl a man.” He looked over at Daniel, who had calmed down, and noticed him looking down at his feet and then put his hands on his chest.

“Is it because I have big feet?” He asked in a quiet yet feminine voice with a strong Daegu accent that was not his own. “Is it because my s are small? Or is it because my shoulders are big?” His voice was starting to strain and shake, as if self-conscious and sad. Minho went over and hugged her close as well as Minsoo while Key only seemed to eye them even more.

“Am I that ugly?” Daniel asked Minsoo in Japanese.

“No, no. My princess isn’t ugly. You’re perfect,” he whispered softly in Japanese as well. Jonghyun hit Taemin upside the head before speaking.

“You made her sad!” He hissed. Taemin nursed his head and Onew made sure he was okay.

“Ok, I’m sorry. It’s just that you seem too…unnaturally beautiful to be a girl,” Taemin explained. Daniel looked up to Taemin with watery eyes.

“Really?” He asked with his Daegu accent. Taemin nodded and Daniel did too as he wiped his eyes.

“I think we should go,” said Minsoo. Minho nodded and lead them to the door and followed them out the building.

“So we’ll call you next week, so we can all meet up somewhere,” said Minsoo. Minho nodded and smiled.

“I knew you still had it,” he said to Daniel. Daniel merely smiled proudly.

“Of course I still have it. I was a child actor, and I have to know how to act,” he said as he flipped his hair triumphantly. Minho merely laughed as he waved them off.

“I didn’t mean to make her sad!” Said Taemin. Onew merely nodded while Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “I really did think she was a guy!”

“And your assumptions ruined my chances with her,” huffed Jonghyun in annoyance. Key rolled his eyes.

“Like anyone would want a dog like you.” Jonghyun huffed and pouted before going to a corner and sulk.

Key rolled his eyes before going to his corner and bringing out his phone to text.

You would never guess what happened.’

‘What?’

‘Some girl and guy came to visit Minho, but the girl was so a guy.’

‘Really?’

‘Yup. Taemin even called him out on it, but he can act really well.
He started tearing up and everything.’

‘Oh, well that’s weird. I’ll text you later Kibum hyung. I need to
finish up before going back to the dorm.’

‘That’s fine. I’ll text you later Byungy~ ^3^’