Chapter 9: Remember Me

Beautiful Stranger

A smile beams from Amber’s face as she finally found a job delivering pizza. The pizza restaurant provides the scooter, so Amber has no trouble with traveling expense as they are all cover by the shop. The pizza restaurant she works for have just open up a delivery serves because of the popularity of their pizzas. The funny coincidence is, this is the restaurant in front of Henry’s place.

On Amber’s way to deliver pizzas she receives a call. Putting her call on Bluetooth she answers, “What’s up. This is Amber.”

“Hey Amber. You sound happy today.”

“Oh Henry, how have you been?”

“It has only been a week since I last saw you. Sounds like you miss me.”

“I got good news.”

“Hm, what is it?”

“Don’t laugh but…”

“Yeah.”

“I got a job.”

“Finally after years of being a free loader at your age.” Henry laughs. “Why didn’t you just ask me to help you find one?”

“I’m a picky person. What I really want to be is a music writer?”

“Oh, so that’s why you could learn the program quickly that time.”

“What time? Tell me. I don’t understand where you’re going with this.”

“Last week. You wrote a song, fell asleep, woke up, ate, and then you left like nothing ever happened.”

“You mean the last time I was at your place.” Amber pauses for a moment before speaking again. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No not at all. You should listen to what you’ve made. I think you can be a great music producer.”

“Well sure.” Amber said while she was still thinking about it. “Is something on your mind?”

“No. I can see that you are back to the normal feisty person that you are.”

“I’m off from work in a few hours. At eight. I’ll see you then. At your place.”

“Amber?”

“Hm.”

“No, nevermind. I can tell you when you come.”

“Alright, See you tonight. Ha ha, I’m here.”

“What?” Henry said expectantly.

“Delivery. Sorry. Bye.”

Henry smiles as he said, “Bye.”

 

At seven-thirty Amber returns from her pizza delivery and arrives back at the pizza restaurant. Her fellow female coworkers kept talking about a tall handsome guy eating pizza at the restaurant everyday for the past week. They pointed at a young man sitting by the window. Amber couldn’t see his face but had a strange feeling that she knows that person. Heading to the door she could feel eyes watching her. Looking around the restaurant she saw Kris, the one her coworkers were pointing at earlier. When their eyes locked Amber quickly walks away to hide herself.

Once out of the restaurant Amber panics as she looks left and right not knowing where to go, then Amber remember Henry’s place is just across the street. Rushing her way to Henry’s place she knocks on the door anxiously. Once Henry opens his door expecting the worst, to his surprise Amber jumps into his arms tightly wrapping her arms around his torso.

“Amber, you came early.” Henry said as he responds to Amber’s hug by hugging her back. “What’s wrong?”

“Henry. I’m sorry if this feels awkward but I feel safest in your arm right now.”

He smiles warmly.  “Tell me what happened? Did your coworkers pick on you?”Amber shook her head. “Let’s talk about after we sit down.” Henry said as he shuts the door.

On the sofa sat Amber, Henry couldn’t help be realize that Amber have been looking more feminine by the day. Henry brought out two cup of sweet tea, one for himself and the other for Amber.

“Thank you.” Amber said receiving the cup from Henry.

“Amber, why don’t I help you get a job making music?”

“That’s crazy. I have no music experiences.”

“In that case I’ll help you get into college for music.”

“I saw Kris.” Amber said. “And then, I ran from him. There’s something about him that made me ran. I feel afraid when our eyes met.”

You really fell for him. Henry looks at Amber with loving eyes and said, “What are you afraid of?”

While looks at her cup of tea in her hands, Amber grips the cup tighter. “I don’t know.”

“Amber.” Henry sighs in frustration as he brushes through his hair with his hand. “You do know. If you didn’t know, it wouldn’t bother you this much.” Looking at Amber, Henry could see her eyes starting to tear up.

“But he... No I can’t be.” Amber said in denial. She puts down her cup of tea to stand up. “You’re saying that I lov–”

 Henry pulls Amber towards him so he can hug her, cutting her sentence short. “Don’t say it out loud. You should already know what’s in your heart. All you need to do is comes to term with it.” If you can’t get over him, you’ll never look my way. “It’s okay to cry.”

“Thank you Henry. You’re a good friend.”

“Let’s listen to the music you made.”

The music Amber has forgotten she had made is now being play by Henry. As Amber listen to the song, something trigger inside of her. She finally realizes something.

Amber stood up and said, “Sorry, there’s something I have to do.” She left in a rush.

“Amber.” Henry mumbles. I hope I did the right thing, pushing her to face her emotions for him in her heart. She might not look my way after all. The only thing I can do is hope Kris feels differently about her.

 

There he was standing in front of the pizza restaurant. Kris stood waiting for someone. When Kris’s eyes meet Amber’s, he started walking towards her. Amber couldn’t help but hear her own heart race at the sight of Kris approaching her. As Kris got closer Amber starts walking away.

“Wait.” Kris said as he grabs onto the collar of Amber’s coat stopping her from walking away. “Don’t run from me. I need to talk to you.”

“I- I thought you said you will make yourself scarce.” Amber said while avoiding eye contact. “I already told you, I can’t guarantee you anything with Sulli.”

“Ah, so that’s what I forgot.” Kris said in a depress tone.

Amber turns her head to see Kris’s expression and now she can’t look away. “Kris. What’s wrong?”

“I fell for Sulli but now I can’t remember anything about her. Not her face, her smile, her laughter, or the way she walks…”

“Sorry.” Amber said as she signals Kris to quite down with the palm of her hand facing inches away from Kris’s face. “You sound like a stalker.” Finally Amber feels like she’s back to normal. “I can’t help you there. Just admit that it is best that Sulli is out of your mind.”

Kris grabs onto Amber’s hand in front of his face and places it over his heart. “I’m missing something important here and I don’t know what it is.” Just as Amber’s hand touches his chest he pushes it away realizing what he just did. “Ah, sorry.”

“I have to go home. It’s late and I’m tired. Good bye.” Amber said as she waves good bye.

“You won’t give me a word of advice.”

“Don’t deny the person’s in your heart. Just believe in your heart and you will find the answer. At least that’s what a friend told me.”

Kris stares at Amber’s back as if he could finally see after so many years of being blind. Before Kris could call out to Amber, she’s already out of site. Are you telling me I fell for someone else? That I’m no longer in love with Sulli but I fell for someone else.

 

Amber ran though the crowd towards her home with a smile on her face. So this is love. She laughs joyfully, finally realizing who’s in her heart.

“Unni, what are you so happy about?” Sulli said as Amber returns home.

“It’s a secret.” Amber said giving a wink.

“Ahhhhh!” Sulli screams in excitement. She ran up to Amber and gave her a big hug. “My unni fell in love.”

“H- how did you know?” Amber said. “I mean, what are you talking about?”

“It’s written all over your face.” Sulli said poking Amber’s cheek. “You’re smile from ear to ear. There’s nothing else it can be.”

“It is something else.”

“Nope, I already heard you say, ‘How did you know?’ and that’s that.”

“No really.” Amber tries as hard as she can to deny no matter how obvious she is. “Sulli really. I’m not in love. I just got a new job.”

“Nope, not listening. My unni is in love. Yup, this kind of happiness is love and nothing else.” Sulli began texting on her cell. “This is big news.”

“Don’t tell all your friends.”

“My friends are big fans of yours and they will be excited to hear our tomboy Amber fell for a guy.”

“Wait, who said it was a guy?”

“Then a girl.”

“No, that’s not what I mean. I got a new job and I’m just happy.”

“Yeah, you are so giddy to have a job that you can’t stop smiling.”

“Noo.” Amber said trying to stop Sulli from texting.

Ten minutes later after chasing Sulli around the house their mom barge in yelling, “It’s time to celebrate. My boy is finally turning into to a normal girl.”

Seeing her mom celebrating for her is giving Amber mix emotions. “Umma, what are you doing?”

“Tonight we are going to have a feast to celebrate my baby girl having her first love. So who’s the lucky guy?”

“I don’t even know if he will like me back.”

Sulli said with a smile, “See umma, she really does have someone.”

“We have to dress you up to make that boy fall in love with you faster.” Their mom said.

“What?” Amber said in disbelief. “Don’t get involve. I’ll find a way to reach his heart.”

Sulli and her mom already stop listening to Amber’s request and they are off in their own little world talking about how Amber will attract a guy with a more feminine appeal. Their mom talks about buying Amber a long hair wig and Sulli talks about giving Amber a makeover with makeup. It was too late to stop them now once the ball got rolling.

 

Back at Kris’s condo, he lays down on bedroom lit up by the city lights to think about what Amber had said to him earlier. What’s in my heart? The truth is I don’t want to admit it that I could fall for that kind of person. I just want to meet her face to face more times. Spend some time with her to find out if it really is love or just leftover feelings I’ve built up for Sulli. In frustration Kris covers his head before falling asleep.

_ _ _

From the Author: I'm still working on chapter ten. Keeping up with updating two stories each week is hard. Comments are my fuel for motivating me to write.

I want to thank my readers for taking thier time to read my story and showing thier affection for shipping Amber with so many people.