Chapter 10: Key in Your Heart

Beautiful Stranger

Amber woke up to get ready. Sulli have already gone to school. Their mom has already left for work. While yawning, Amber brushes the palm of her hand against her face. To her surprise she found red pigment on her hands.

“What’s this?” Amber said surprised. “Blood?” She rushes to the bathroom mirror only to find out the red pigment she smudged is the makeup on her face. “How many days do I have to take before they stop?” Amber said in anger. “No matter what, I won’t tell them who the guy is.”

It’s been a week since the news got out that Amber’s is in love. Sulli and her mom have been tormenting her to give up her secret of her lucky guy. Her wardrobes have been changed to a more feminine taste. She got makeup put on her without her permission. Lately, Amber has to buy new outfits and hide them so she can wear clothes she is comfortable with.

Today is Amber’s day off from work so she heads off to the skate park. On her way there she bumps into a familiar face.

“Amber, where are you going?”

She could barely recognize him wearing a strangely ugly wig under his hat until he calls out her name. Amber said with a surprised expression. “It’s that you. Key.”

“Surprise.” Key said as he puts one arm around Amber. “Where have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while.”

“You could have called.” Amber pout. “I’ve been working lately. So what’s new in your life?”

“A new album is in the making. It’s going to be big this year. You’re not the only one busy with work.”

“When’s your comeback on TV? I want to watch.”

“In a weeks. I’m just happy I got my day off this week.” Key remembers something and pushes Amber in front of him, facing him.

“Hey,” Amber said feeling surprised. “What was that for?”

Key gave Amber a wink as he said, “I heard about the lucky guy.”

“From who?” Just as Amber was saying that, she realizes who it was that told him. “Sulli.”

“Yep, correct answer.”

“You two must really hit it off well.”

“We only met that one time.” Key said eagerly as he points it out. I thought that guy might be me. I guess wrong.

 “It’s okay, I can fix that today. So guess what?” Amber said to Key excitedly.

“What?”

“Sulli is giving me some good news in a few hours. Do you have time to spend with us?”

“Yeah, I got plenty of time.”

“Good. We’re going to the karaoke to celebrate Sulli’s good news.”

“What’s the good news?”

“Don’t know yet, but I’m still excited.”

“Aren’t you afraid you would be let down?”

“Never, I’ll support her through thick and thin. After all, I’m her unni.” Amber said with a smile.

The expression on Key’s face changes into a mixture of shock and surprise. Never have he seen anyone so devoted to their family, even to sacrifice a piece of them self to keep their family strong.

“What’s wrong?” Amber said as Key suddenly stops talking. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” Key said trying to avoid the topic of him being in a daze. Let me show you some tricks I learn.

“Sure, but aren’t you afraid you might scratch your expensive merchandise.” Amber said hinting his face with a wave of her hand on her own face.

“I’m good at this so there’s nothing to worry about.”

 

A few hours later they met Sulli at the karaoke. Amber order foods and drink in preparation of Sulli’s arrival.

“Surprise.” Amber and Key said as Sulli enters the room. Sulli bows to Key as she smiles brightly. Key was an unexpected guest, but Sulli was happy Key came.

Happily Amber hugs Sulli asking, “Tell me the good news. I want to hear.”

Sulli stares at Key expectantly and said, “I’m a new trainee for SK Entertainment.”

“Congratulation!!!” Amber said proudly as she picks up Sulli as she hugs her swinging her around.

The sight of it surprised Key. “Wow Amber, are you sure you’re not Sulli’s hyun?”

“Hey.” Amber said turning her face sour. “Are you trying to tell me something?”

“No nothing.” Key said. “Congratulation Sulli and welcome to the company.”

“Huh.” Amber said feeling surprised.

“You didn’t know.” Sulli said.

“Know what?” Amber said staring at both Sulli and Key looking for answers.

Key pointed at himself and said, “I’m from SK.”

“Really?” Amber said. “I’m sorry for not paying attention.”

“You didn’t try to search about me from the internet?” Key said feeling astonish by Amber’s lack of knowledge of his popularity as an idol.

“No.” Amber said in straightforward manner. “I want to know people in person rather than base it off information that other people gives me.”

Sulli turns red for actually searching information of Key from the internet before she met him face to face. Trying to avoid Amber from remembering it Sulli said, “Unni is an honest person that believes people for who they are and not for what other people said about them. She will never betray her friends.” 

“Amber really is kind.” Key said.

“Let’s have some fun before getting into the serious stuff.” Amber said happily. “Turn up the music and let’s party.”

There’s a mixture of hip-hop, pop, and some ballad song. Singing for nearly an hour, they are now taking a temporary break. Sulli left to use the ladies room leaving behind Amber and Key alone. Key realizes something different about Amber thought out the time they have spent in the karaoke, she seems overly happy compare to ten minutes ago. Then Key realizes Amber was holding a bottle of something.

“Amber! What are you drinking?” Key said reaching for the bottle in her hand. What Key didn’t realize was that Amber is a skill fighter. Taking that bottle from her would be hard for him to do.

“It’s just juice.” Amber complains as Key chase her around the room. Each time Amber’s escape Key’s attempt to seize the bottle form her hand she clumsily move the other side of the room. “Is this a game?”

“Let me see it.” Finally after a few minutes Key was able to get a hold of the bottle, almost tripping as he grabs it from her. It really does look like juice but it was alcohol. “When did you start drinking this?” Key thinks back. It must have been half an hour ago when you said you were thirsty.

“Mine.” Amber grabs for the bottle and misses, ending up with her arms around Key hugging him. He helps Amber sits down before realizing she was in a daze. When Key tries to walk away Amber grabs onto the back end of his coat. With sweet puppy dog eyes she said in a most adorable voice Key have ever heard from Amber. “Don’t go.”

Hearing those words coming out of Amber’s mouth, along with the looks in her eyes, it made Key’s heart races. He couldn’t hold back his desire to touch her. Key leans in closer to Amber until he could feel her breath beside his. Time felt as it has stop so Key can soak in the moment. There his lip touches hers. As soon as he realizes what he has done he backs away with a fluster face. To make matters worse, Sulli walks in only to see Key’s fluster face and him touching his lips shyly. There she knew that Key have kissed Amber who was have fallen asleep on the sofa.

“Sorry, I have to go.” Sulli said not knowing what else to say. She closes the door and ran.

Key was surprised by her action and how sad Sulli’s eyes are when she said it. He hesitated when thinking about chasing after Sulli. “Wait, Sulli.” The large amount of time Key and Sulli had spent together were texting each other. He never considers that Sulli would fall for him. If Amber knew what I’ve done? No, even if she knows, she’ll still find me as her friend who betrayed her trust.

Just as Sulli steps out the doors of the karaoke place, Key calls out her name. “Sulli, wait.”

Before Key could say anything Sulli said, “I’m sorry. I should have known. I’m sorry but I don’t want to see you right now.” She left in tears.

Key couldn’t answer her and let Sulli leave in silence. I’m sorry. I really don’t know what to say. He chase after Sulli once more. But I still can’t let her go.

 

Kris left the pizza restaurant after hearing that Amber didn’t work that day. Now roaming around the last place he saw Sulli in that park, he sat by the water fountain. In the quite scenery Kris receives an unexpected phone call from Key who he hasn’t met for nearly a year.

“Sorry for the unexpected call.” Key said. “I need your help.”

“After being a busy star you stop calling me. Now you want my help?” Kris said feeling irritated.

“I got to chase a girl. Can you pick up my drunken friend? I told the front desk already at the karaoke place. You know that once place we use to hang out before. Room A12.”

“Wait.” Kris couldn’t ask Key anything else. “He hung the phone. Who could this friend of his be?”

He arrived to the room to find someone fast asleep on the sofa face down and a table full of foods and drinks. “Dude, wake up. I have to take you home.” Kris said as he turns over the drunken person only to find a familiar face. “Amber?”

 

Key found Sulli sitting alone on the swings in the park. He walks up and sat on the swing beside her. Though he wasn’t sure at first what Sulli would be sad about, the only thought that would comes mind was that Sulli could have seen him kiss Amber.

“Why did you chase after me if you are not expecting anything from me?” Key was silent when to Sulli’s words. “Key! Answer me.”

“I…” Key struggles to say.

“If that’s all you can answer then we don’t have anything to talk about.”

“I need more time.”

“To think about Amber?”

“No… That…” Key hesitated. “She and I… are.”

“That’s right, you kissed her.”

“I’m nothing to her.”

“So you’re using me to get to her.”

“Yes. I’m sorry.”

Sulli got up and slaps Key across the face, leaving him alone in the park sitting on the swing. When Sulli got home she found Amber sleeping by the door. “Amber, how did you get here?”

“Hmm.” Amber said as she is waking up. “Where am I?” Looking around her, she realizes Sulli’s eyes are swollen. “What happened?”

“We’re home.”

“Sorry I got drunk.” Amber said playfully. “Let’s watch some sad drama and talk about it. What do you think about it?”

“Who brought you home?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a friend of Key’s.”

“Oh.”

“Come on, let’s grab some drama.” Amber said pushing Sulli inside the house.

“Are you still drunk?”

“A little, but that shouldn’t matter.”

_ _ _

From the Author: The reason I didn't include a krisber scene in this one is because I don't think it would fit and would have too much going on in the chapter. The next chapter should have something more between Kris and Amber, also continuing the story in this chapter. I'm falling behind a bit on wrting my stories, but don't worry, I'll catch up.