Chapter 12: Song for You

Beautiful Stranger

It is the day Key’s comeback stage is going to air on TV. The music show starts around seven pm. Amber and Sulli sat cuddle up on the sofa to watch idols promoting their music waiting for Key to appear. There are a lot of group idols performing and only a few solo singers and Key is among the few solo singers. All of them dress in beautiful clothes and almost everyone is dancing with beautifully decorated backgrounds.

“They’re all so thin.” Amber said munching on some chips.

“Yeah, sometimes I think they are all too thin.” Sulli said. “Why are we Korean so obsessed with being thin?”

“I think that’s a worldwide problem.”

“Ooh, look how pretty that girl group is.”

“Yeah, you want to be an idol just like them. Right Sulli?” Amber nudges Sulli.

“No.” Sulli defended. “I want to be a modest idol that relies on her talent alone and not on her looks.”

“I don’t think that will ever happen.”

“Why not?” Sulli said refusing to believe in Amber’s statement.

“Korean idols are popular worldwide because of two things, one their music or solely because of their looks in their music videos.”

“That’s not true.”

“What does the news talk about when spreading rumors about idols?”

“Their look, relationship, clothes, and sometimes their music.”

“See, your unni is correct as always.”

“Unni.” Sulli said with a pouty face.

Amber saw her expression and said, “But I believe you can change the idol world when you enter it. Your beautiful voice alone will move the world.”

“I promise not to think of the world in a dream like manner without the ability to support that idea. I want to make the impossible possible.”

“That’s my Sulli.” Amber said hugging and patting on the head Sulli.

“Look, it’s Key. He’s on!” Sulli happily pointed it out to Amber then shush Amber to be quite as Key starts to sing.

He looks stunning in his new hairstyle, a blond hair dye that helps emphasize his sharp eyes. For Key’s comeback stage he wrote a song about idol’s ways of unrequited love. “Even though I love you with all my heart, you’ll never look my way.” He reaches one hand out towards the audiences. “If I say I’m an idol, will that make you turn my way. Would that make you love me more?” He makes a fist knocking on his chest. “I wait silently for you to answer me but you only torture me by spending time with another man.” The tension grows quiet as the music got slower. “Love me. Love me! Love ME!!! Say you love me.” The light dims as the song comes to an end. The crowd roars in excitements cheering on Key. His beautiful smile captures the hearts of the audiences causing them to roar in excitement.

There was an awkward silence between Amber and Sulli when Key’s songs finished for a few seconds before it was interrupted by Amber clapping. “That was amazing. I never knew how much emotions Key could display in singing.” Amber want to hide the fact that she knows what had happened between Sulli and Key a secret. After all, Sulli haven’t said a word to her.

“Yeah, he’s amazing.” Sulli said in a low energy voice and a weak smile.

“Did something happen between you two?”

“No.” Sulli quickly said. “What made you think that?”

“Hmm, well it happened on the day we went to the karaoke with Key.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Sorry Sulli. I didn’t want our day to turn sour but it has been pretty unpleasant for the past week already.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault but have you told him that you like him at the very least?”

“No. I thought it was already obvious.”

“You still need to tell him no matter how obvious it is. When you tell him, those emotions will grow stronger.”

“I don’t think he’ll meet me again.”

“Ask him. If he comes you still have a chance.”

 

 Earlier that day around two pm, Key had just finished recording for his music show comeback. Just as he finished his song he gave his fan a happy smile to cover the confusion in his heart. When he head back to his dressing room, Key’s happy exterior fade and left him like an empty shell. Key is still trying to cope with Amber’s rejection of him.

Key left the building to head to his other schedules around four.

Hours later unexpectedly Key received a text from Sulli asking, “Are you available tonight?”

It was already eight. Key had finished his schedule earlier than expected. He replies back to Sulli’s text, “Yeah, I’m available. Meet you around nine?”

“Let’s meet at the café.”

Looking at his phone Key said, “I wonder if I’m making the right choice. What dose Sulli want with me now?”

It was the same café as the one Key met up with Amber before. There he sat with a messy wig and hat to cover his hair. Sulli wore a pair of tight jean, long curly hair down, and white hooded sweater. When Sulli is looking in Key’s direction he waves to signal where he is. Sulli’s eyes brighten before they sadden to the thought of rejection.

“Hello.” Sulli said with a smile.

Key greets her back. “Hello.” The awkwardness between them is quite obvious. “So how did you guys enjoy the show? Did I sound good?”

“You sound great.”

“Really, what did Amber say?”

For a moment Sulli’s expression turns sour at the thought. “So the song was for Amber?”

“Ah, that.” Key couldn’t deny it. “Is it obvious?”

“You sounded sad. Even when you smile, there’s that hint of sadness in your eyes.”

“Can we meet another day? I don’t feel so great today.” Key stood up and readies himself to leave the shop

 For a moment Sulli was undecided on what action to take. “Wait!” Sulli said as she grabs onto his wrist. “Let’s go somewhere more private to talk.”

“I have to go.”

Sulli insisted, “It is important! This is something I have to tell you.”

“You can tell me next time we meet. I don’t know why I came here. Sorry but I have to go.”

“Wait!” Sulli yells pulling Key towards her. “Listen to me!”

The desperation in Sulli’s eyes stops Key in his tracks. He gave in and said, “Alright. Let’s go to some place quite to talk.”

“Okay.” Sulli’s eyes lit up. When she realizes she was still holding onto Key’s wrist, Sulli got embarrass and let go. “Where are we going?”

“To a less crowded place.” Key took Sulli’s hand and left the café.

Feeling the warmth of Key’s hand in hers made Sulli happy. “Key?”

The setting sun turns the sky to a beautiful hue of orange. Key and Sulli went to the river side just thirty minutes away. It was a quiet ride on the bus between Key and Sulli. They sat a foot apart from one another as they gaze at the water.

“I’m sorry.” Key said to break the silence. “I shouldn’t have done what I did to you. It was that I was just afraid knowing Amber and what she might say.”

“What did she say?” Sulli was hesitant to ask.

“She didn’t even let me finished.” It took Key a few seconds as he remembers the moment Amber told him he was forever a friend. “Amber said that we will forever be friends.”

“When did she say that?”

“After I told her what happened with you and I?”

“Stop!” Sulli said in frustration. “Stop thinking about Amber!” She pulls Key’s attention to her.

“I can’t! I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come.” Key said pulling away from Sulli.

“Listen to me for once. I have something important to tell you.” Sulli pulls Key’s attention back to her. Her face is just inches away from Key’s.

“Sulli, aren’t we a little too close…”

There Sulli pulls Key in pressing her lips against his. She pulls her lips away from his and with sadness in her eyes Sulli saids, “I wanted to say. I love you. Sorry to have taken so much of your time.”

Before Key could say anything Sulli ran off. That one kiss sent electricity throughout his body. That one kiss made him forgot all his worries. Now Key can only focus on Sulli who had kissed him.

 

Amber was bored waiting for Sulli’s call so she decided to take a trip to the pizza restaurant. All the tables were filled up and Amber asks a man in suit with his head held down, “Can I sit here? All the seats are filled up.”

Annoyed the man answer. “Don’t bother me. I had a bad day.”

Amber covers to keep from laughing when she saw who it is.

“I said…” The man looked up and when he saw Amber he couldn’t help but want to leave. “Forget it. Sit here. I’m done.”

“Sorry Kris. I didn’t expect to see you here in a suit.”

“Stop laughing at me.” Kris said as he attempts to hid his embarrass expression.

“Come on. We haven’t talked in a while.” Amber said pulling Kris to sit.

“You don’t work today?”

“No. I got the day off to spend with Sulli.”

“Where is she?” Kris said with a bored face.

“Are you still hung up on her?” Amber said wanting to know how Kris would react.

“Hmm. Sulli? I can’t mope about her forever can I? We all need to get over a broken heart when we get them. It is not the end of the world.” Amber stares intensely at Kris to the point it made him uncomfortable. “What is it Amber?”

“You look handsome today? Was I interrupting your date?” Amber hopes he wasn’t quick to date someone so soon.

“A date?” A smug face grew on Kris face as he said, “I got an unexpected date from you.”

“Ah, so you were on a date and you got dumped. So that’s why you got so agitated?”

“Stop joking around.” Kris’s face grew serious. “I started working recently.”

“Really? So you were a bum before I met you, smooching off your parents?”

“Something like that.”

“How’s work treating you? Not easy as expected.”

“It is a change in pace. I enjoy it a lot.”

Amber laughs. “Do you enjoy it so much you are bum out that you can’t go to work? Come on, tell me the truth.”

“Here comes your pizza.” Kris announces not want to answer Amber’s question.

As Amber ate her pizza she hums to the tune of Key’s new song. “I love pizza so much I can live here.”

“You’re already halfway there. You work here.” Kris said with a smile looking at Amber eats. “What song are you humming to?”

“It’s Key’s new song?”

“Are you in love with someone?” Hearing that Amber almost choke as she had a mouth full of food when Kris said that.

“Why do you ask?” Amber wanting to avoid all suspicion but was unable to keep eye contact with Kris.

“So you do like someone. Is it Key?”

Amber burst out in laughter. “I’m sorry, but Key and I are just friends.”

“So you are in love with someone?”

“Yes, but I can’t tell you who it is. I don’t even know if he sees me the same way I see him.”

“Then take a chance before you lose him to someone else.”

Her eyes sadden to the thought of rejection. Amber didn’t want to say it right now. She isn’t mentally prepared and wanted to wait longer after she gains some courage to confess her love. “I already lost once. There’s a greater chance he will never look my way. I’m not the ideal girl. I’m too boyish.”

“But Amber, if a guy can’t see past the fact that this is who you is then you should forget about him. Maybe it is best to confess to him and get it off your chest.”

“You’re right. But next time.” As if on cue Amber receives a call. “Sulli.” Amber said standing up to sound of Sulli crying. “I’ll be back home in a few minutes, don’t cry.” Turning to Kris Amber said, “I got to go, my little sister calling for me.”

Before Amber was able to walk outside of the building Sulli said, “I’ll do my best to make him fall for me.”

 

_ _ _

From the Author: Did you hear about Amber having getting her hair cut? I want Amber to take on a new style and a new hair style that is different from her usual short hair. I like the samurai hair style Amber is wearing, it allows people who don't know Amber and see the more feminine side of her. What ever SME is planning for f(x)'s comeback, it better be good. I hate the fact that each individual f(x)'s talent isn't being used the their fullest potential. With the right song arrangment, they will rock the k-pop world and gain the reconition they deserve.

Other than my rant. Thank you for reading.