Chapter 1: A Delinquent

Beautiful Stranger

Note: Words in Italic are thoughts.

Out shopping together is a pair of sister. Amber being to older sister and Sulli, despite being taller is the cute younger sister. Walking down the street, at first glance, Amber appears to be Sulli’s boyfriend with Sulli’s arm hook around Amber’s. With Amber’s boyish attitude and looks, no one would know Amber is a girl. As Amber’s attention was caught on the rows of hats on sale, a local delinquent Kris caught a glance of Sulli. While distracted, Kris ran his motorcycle into the back of a parked car. A verbal fight erupted with a young man and Kris. From the looks of it, this could become a physically violent fight and Sulli grew scared seeing the sight.

Amber only started noticing the growing violence when Sulli pulled on Amber’s shirt as she hid behind her. A fight has erupted and Amber took a few seconds to digest what’s happening in front of her. She signals to Sulli to go hide while she handles the situation. Sulli hesitantly left Amber’s side.

“Wait!” Amber’s yelled, hailing the fight to an abrupt stop. “If you enjoy fighting so much, do it elsewhere.”

The young man who is the owner of the car has already taken a few hit from Kris. Undeterred by Amber, Kris continues. “This is none of your business.”

Amber grabs Kris’s wrist, stopping him from furthering assaulting the man. “You interrupted my shopping time.” She pushed Kris aside with a flick of her arm into his chest. Looking at the injured man on the ground, he realizes from the gaze in Amber that he needs to quickly step to the side. The change in the air as Amber face Kris head on made Sulli worried.

Fist are flying, Sulli is running towards Amber calling, “Unni, don’t get hurt.”

For Kris to hear that his opponent is being called unni along with the girl who caught his heart, Kris got confuse about what is going on. He never fought a girl before, or seen a girl like Sulli who look so pure and beautiful. Everything in his mind slowed down before Amber knocked him out cold for being distracted in a fight.

The fight stops and the young man who got batter by Kris is nowhere to be found. By the time the cops arrive, Kris is found knocked out lying on the sidewalk. Both of them were taken to the police station for questioning. Sulli tags along since she was afraid about what would happen to Amber.

Kris woke up to the noisy cops arguing with Amber. With one glance from his groggy eye sight he saw Sulli and it woke up his senses. “Miss.” Kris yelled as he suddenly sat up.

“That ajashi assaulted a man on the street.” Sulli said pointing at Kris.

Dumbfounded, Kris was greatly disappointed by what he heard coming out of Sulli’s mouth. He angrily replies, “I’m not an old man. I’m still 22 years old.”

Both Amber and Sulli said in unison, “Ajashi.”

“Uncle,” Sulli said to the cop, “He tried to hit my unni when she asks him to stop causing trouble.” She pulls Amber to her side. “Even though she is dress like this, she is still my unni.”

Once again Kris was in shock. That’s her unni. He, no, she look like a man. “Impossible, how can that thing be a woman? He, she sounds like a man.”

Amber glare at Kris. Her gesture only makes her appear as a male despite her petit size. “Why, am I more of a man than the real thing, aka you?”

“Scary. Look I’m starting to get chills.” Kris said lifting the sleeve of his shirt.

 “Quite!” said the Cop. “There are no evidences of him being violent when the victim ran away. If he isn’t here to convict him of the crime, there’s nothing I can do for you. I’m sorry. You all may go now.”

Just as Amber and Sulli steps outside of the Police station, Kris stops them. “Wait!” Both Amber and Sulli kept walking despites Kris calling for them multiple times.

Amber stops abruptly turning to face Kris. “We don’t want to get involve with a ajjashi like you. Leave us or else.”

Those words tame Kris for the first time in his life. If it was anyone else, he wouldn’t stand for it. He wanted to ask for Sulli’s name. A name of the girl he fell for at a glance, a name he has yet to know. The anger in his heart starts to boil at the thought of Amber’s name.

“We better not shop around there for a while.” Amber whispers to Sulli while they were walking home. Sulli nods, agreeing with Amber suggestion.

 

They reach home around seven pm then started preparing dinner for three. By the time dinner was made Amber and Sulli’s mom came home. Their mother is a proud woman who work as a restaurant owner, making just enough for three of them to live a worry free life.

“Welcome home umma.” Sulli said with her cute bright smile.

“Welcome back.” Amber said. “We made food.”

“How was work umma?” Sulli said as she helps her mom take off her coat and amber helps take her purse.

“It was good today. A lot of people came and they complemented on how great our restaurant is.” Their mom said. Then her face turns sour. “Why can’t my girls take over for me so I can retire early?”

“Umma,” Sulli said as she kneels beside her mother. “I’m sorry for being selfish but, I wanted to become an actress. If I work for you, I’ll never reach my dream.”

Their mother turns to looks at Amber and said, “And you want to become a man?”

Amber who was still chewing a mouth full of food started choking. “W- What? No- no, I’m not that kind of person. Sulli tell umma I’m not like that. Sulli.”

Sulli couldn’t help but to burst out into laughter. When she saw Amber’s glaring she held in her laughter. There is still a visible smile on Sulli’s face as she resists laughing. She got up off her knee and sat down to eat.

“Thanks for helping Sulli.” Amber said sarcastically. “Umma, I like dressing this way.”

“If you can attract a man dressing like that, I’ll be fine with it.” Their mom said. “In the next year you have to find a boyfriend who you will marry in the future.”

“But.” Amber said as she was unprepared to look for a potential candidate for marriage.

“No buts.” Their mom said sternly. “You both are my only daughters and I want you both to have the best life there is when I’m gone.”

Sulli’s eyes started to tear up. “Don’t go anywhere.” She walks to her mom and hugs her with Amber following behind her to hug their mother as well.

“I’m not going to disappear now.” Their mother said angrily. “Eat before the foods get bad.” Both Amber and Sulli know their mom means well. Acting stern is her way of keeping both of them in line when they only have a mother and no father to teach them anything.

 

That night Kris reached home at one a.m. the next morning after drinking his night away. He lives alone in a spacious two bedroom condo. He wobbles his way up the entrance and onto the elevator. Once he reaches his room he collapses onto his sofa. “It’s that man thing fault that I can’t get the cute girl’s name.” He tries to picture Sulli but could only picture Amber’s angry face. Waving his hands in denial like it would help erase Amber from her memory. “No, no get away you man thing. I only want to see the cute one.” Kris kept complaining until he fell asleep.

_ _ _

From the author: I don't want to rush into the romance part. So you have to wait more than a few chapters before you get to see anyone becoming lovers. I won't name how many chapters. I want to plan ahead on what I would write. Developing the characters is what I like to do. I like to add the idol's individual charm as much as possible to the story.