Is she in? Or is she out?

Horizontal 8

Is she in? Or is she out?

Sunggyu opens the dance room and he is not even shocked to see the sight of seven humans being standing in front of him in their individual position without complaining. He glance at their choreographer knowing the reason why they are in that position - he is just testing them, wanting to know how well are they at being patient. Imagine if you have to stand in your position for broadcast and you do not have any patience, anything can happen. Walking in, he dumps his bag to the side before standing beside the choreographer, greeting him in the process.

‘Take five and we will re-do Before the Dawn and Be Mine with Sunggyu,’ The choreographer said before walking out of the room, leaving the members alone and as if on cue, all of the seven members drops on the floor, lying down on their back savoring the cold floor.

‘Hyung! You should have some earlier so that we can rest like this….’ Sungyeol exclaims when his back touches the cold floor. Sunggyu just frown his eyebrows upon hearing what Sungyeol had said while the rest just lets out a small chuckle.

‘Noona isn’t complaining and here you are complaining. Shame on you hyung,’ Sungjong states as he sits up and shakes his head looking at Sungyeol who only glares at the maknae. Silence filled the room as each of the member tries to settle their breathing and tries their best to relax their aching muscles - well, most of them are trying to except Eunrae who is just staring at the ceiling, trying to visualize the dance moves that they are going to do.

‘Alright! Places! We will start with Be Mine first.’

At once all of them scattered and stands in their position not uttering a word but just silently cheer among themselves. Looking at the reflection, Eun Rae glances to the other members from the reflection in front of her. Is it normal for her to be nervous? What and how will the other react if she makes an expectant mistake? Before she could even think about anything else, the familiar song begins, filling the whole room.

Without waiting for any instructions, Eun Rae takes a deep breath and starts executing the dance steps making sure that she is still in her position, at the back of all of them - it was something that she had requested from the company, that is to allow her to be at the back of the group so that the other 7 can still shine in all of their songs and that she would only just join the dance and not be included in the singing.

Everything seems to be going smoothly for the 8 of them and Eun Rae begins to relax herself and actually enjoy the practice. But the sea is not always calm - when all of a sudden Eun Rae felt her calf muscles begin to get tense and before she knows it, she had landed on the floor, holding back the pain and to make things look worst, she is not even ¼ through the dance.

‘Noona! Are you alright?’ Sungjong asked as he bends down to her. Eun Rae just nods her head as he quickly massage her calf to release the pain and slowly, she stands up and apologise for her recklessness.

‘I’m alright. Let’s just continue. I’m sorry about that.’ Eun Rae said as she bows in apology and makes her way to her position again. Without a word, the choreographer starts to play the music again.

Sunggyu’s Pov;

When the music starts to fill the room, I swear that I almost forget the dance step to it but I know that I will be in deep trouble if I didn’t at least get any of the steps right. It has been a long time since we had practice this and I don’t even know how Eun Rae will be able to keep up with the continuous practice. I glance at the other members and they seems to have no expression shown, I guess because they had been dancing to different songs before I had appear, they seem to get the hang of it. I was shock to see Eun Rae on the floor and even though I wanted to approach her and help her, Sungjong beats me to it. Aish, that kid! I should be the one asking her that not him! But luckily Eun Rae said that she is fine, I guess, I have to keep an extra eye on her than.

Hoya’s Pov;

How in the world could she make a mistake when we are not even halfway through the song?! I hope that after this we will not get any lecturer or scolding from our choreographer. Getting back to our places, we had to start the song from the beginning again but what is obvious is that she is in pain and I don’t even know why isn’t she asking for a break to rest of get her muscle cramp treated. Throughout the whole dance, I keep looking at her reflection, making sure that I could find some little tiny mistakes to reprimand her - but so far, she seems to execute everything well except that she is taking small steps instead.



As soon as Be Mine track is done, the second song is being played and without any minute to lose, the other members begins to scatter around the room, finding their position. Carefully, Eun Rae begins to make her way to the position that she is suppose to be in for Before the Dawn. Even though Eun Rae had said that she is alright, she is far from alright - the pain had increased and now she feels as though her leg is going to be rip apart. Even though she is still in pain, she prefers to finish the whole dance before tending to her leg.

People would think that she is crazy for not resting and taking care of her leg but she doesn’t want to look like a weakling and cause trouble to the other members when she knows that they had gone through a lot even without them showing or telling her. A small smile is form when she realise that Before the Dawn is ending when she hears Hoya’s rap and executing the last position, she breathes in and out, trying to stabilize her breathing.

‘Alright. Everyone gather here.’ The choreographer said as he walks towards the group asking them to sit down in circles. The other members hurriedly moves and takes their place while waiting for what the choreographer had to say - except for Sungjong who walks up to Eun Rae, slowly hold onto her and leading her to the seat.

As soon as Eun Rae had take her place, she begins massaging her calf trying to ease as much pain as possible. Feeling as though she is being watch, Eun Rae looks up to see most of the members looking at her with an expression that she could not even decipher.

‘Eun Rae, did you hear what I had said?’ The choreographer asked looking at her. Shocked by the sudden question, Eun Rae looks at the choreographer before she shake her head, feeling guilty about not listening. The choreographer sighs when he sees Eun Rae shakes her head, meaning that he have to repeat once more.

‘Pay attention next time because I don’t want to repeat so many times. I said that you did great and base on what i had seen just now, you are ready to join them on stage. However, you have to take note that you should try not to push yourself when you are injured. What will happen if you can’t move when your muscle cramp become worst and the worst case scenario is what if you tore that muscle. Think about yourself at times Eun Rae, especially your safety. But overall if its not for you muscle cramp, you did well, just maybe stretch more before dancing. I shall leave you guys for now, I need to meet the president so I shall see you guys soon on your next schedule.’ The choreographer said and Eun Rae just stare at him trying to understand what was told by her.

As soon as the 8 of them are left alone, Eun Rae slowly change her gaze and look at the other members trying to see if she is able to get any reaction but it seems that she is unable to get anything from them - well except for Sungjong and Sungyeol who is smiling like an idiot upon hearing what the choreographer had said.

‘Woohoo! At last you can join us on stage!’ Sungjong exclaimed before hugging Eun Rae.

‘Yes! Yes! See, all of our hard work is pay off. We are the best teacher ever….!’ Sungyeol declare as he rush over to Sungjong and Eun Rae’s side, hugging the two of them only to let go after hearing Eun Rae hiss in pain causing the two of them to let go of the hug instantly.

‘Let’s get your leg treated, we still have vocal practice after this,’ Sunggyu said as he looks at Eun Rae who just nods her head and with the help of Sungjong and Sungyeol, she is able to stand up, slowly limping her way to her bag as the other members had begin exiting the room. ‘Let me help you with that...’