Chapter Nine—The Tale

I am not so easily wooed~

 

I couldn't even process what I just heard properly. Vampires. Vampires don't exist. That's all a myth, a tale, a story told to scare children. It's all a lie. It had to be. But the things... the things going on here aren't normal. How could they have such power and agility? In the room, as I recalled, someone had launched their body so quickly and accurately towards another. It explains how they can swiftly appear out of nowhere, sneaking up on me every damn time. All of the pieces fit together perfectly like a puzzle.

I couldn't speak.

"I think she's dead," Sungyeol broke the silence. I clearly wasn't dead, but it was probably the first thing that popped into his head. I was motionless for a while.

"Soph," Sungjong tried to poke me, but he was too far. "Sophia! Sophia!"

"We should just explain how we exist," Hoya sighed.

"Sunggyu start," Myungsoo ordered.

The oldest nodded, placing down his cup of water. "Okay, well, vampires have always existed, as far as we know. No one really knows how our existence actually started. There are myths about that too, like there are about our existence to humans. In the beginning, our kind was ruthless, vicious predators. As you probably know, we do live off of blood, but not specifically those of humans. They didn't know that back then. They'd attack villages, homes, families; travelling from nation to nation with no remorse for their actions."

"Power was what every vampire wanted the most. The title of the 'all mighty' I guess. So, then wars would start. These wars weren't one side against another; it was each person against every other. As history has shown, wars aren't necessarily the best choice to settle disputes. Thousands of vampires died from every war. We aren't invincible you know, just immortal at some point," Dongwoo added.

"You're probably wondering how each of us is created," Woohyun was next. "Okay, well, we are born just like you—human. Same methods and everything. But the vampire blood in our system stays forever. We show the superhuman qualities of vampires but do not crave for human blood. Let's say that's an evolutionary quality that we have acquired over time. Let's assume that it takes about 10 months for a typical human baby to be born, for us it takes a mere three. That is why the seven of us are so close in age."

"We age just like you," Hoya spoke, "Every day is a day, every year is a year, that is why we really do like 18-20 year olds. But, as soon as we are willingly given blood by someone, our aging clock stops. Now this can vary from any age, but it's typical for that age group to be in their 20s-40s. That is why our father is forever frozen at the age of thirty and our mother at twenty eight."

"Remember how I mentioned our mother was normal in every way just like you?" Dongwoo interrupted the cycle. "That's because she was once human."

"How..." I found my voice once more.

"Love shows no boundaries," Sungyeol began to explain to me. "We can't tell you the whole story, but you can always ask our father. A summary of it is... when our Father was just about to take the throne; he overheard Mother singing from outside the palace gates. He became utterly infatuated with her voice, and from then on they'd meet at the gates at noon to exchange facts about themselves, just to get to know each other more."

They exchanged facts about each other... at noon... This reminded me of Woohyun. I smiled lightly, enough for him to notice. He even showed a little grin on his face. He learned it from his father.

"They were in love," Myungsoo knew it was his turn, so he continued the story. "And everyone could see it, especially Father's parents. But... it's completely illegal for vampires to marry humans. The others say that it taints the blood line of the vampire royalty. It didn't stop our father from loving her at all. His heart told him something completely different from how he was raised."

"And yet, Father resisted his heart for as long as he could," Sungjong was last. "For years he tried to control it, but knew he'd fail in the end. He didn't want her to become anything like him, forever cursed to live on this earth. Father wanted her to have a normal, human family of her own and age with the hopes of grandchildren and everything. He didn't want to take the pleasure of life away from her."

"He also knew if he could resist it long enough," Sunggyu further elaborated, "then he could die with her. That was his plan all along. To not take blood from anyone and merely age or die in battle. He knew if he couldn't have her in this life, then he could at least hold her in the next."

"He loves our Mother with all his being," Woohyun smiled.

"Wait," I took a few seconds. "But the Queen... The Queen is a vampire now... so what changed?"

"About forty years ago was the last war," Dongwoo decided to be the one to answer my question. "That was when our grandfather, Father's father, took the throne. See, our branch of the family wasn't next up for the throne. Our grandfather had an older brother, his name was Sungwoo Moon. He was the king back then. There were a lot of casualties in that war, more than ever before, and so he left for battle. He loved his family, his kingdom, and his significant other more than anything."

Moon... Oh my God... Mrs. Moon! Is that... It can't be. Is that who the dress was made for? She was in love with the King... Mrs. Moon, the woman with the kindest, gentlest heart of all. That's probably why she took the title of Mrs. And why her name is Moon. She grabbed that title for her lost love. Anthony and Isaiah weren't off their rockers after all.

"He died protecting the future of our family," Hoya's voice nearly cracked. "He died for our future. That is why we changed our family name from Moon to Woo. It's in his honor. This all happened when Father was ten years old."

"And notice how three of us have 'Sung' as part of our name?" Woohyun pointed to the appropriate brothers.

"Sunggyu," the oldest grinned.

"Sungyeol," the tallest pinched his cheeks.

"Sungjong," the youngest smiled the biggest.

"It's all for him," Hoya smirked.

"Plus I have Dongwoo, so I'm extra special," the redheaded, cocky brother laughed. Sunggyu and Myungsoo both smacked him the back of his head. It caused all of us to start laughing in unison.

"Same here now that you think about it," Woohyun protected himself from any hits, "I'm Woohyun." 

This moment... This moment in time I have with them, it's precious.

"That still doesn't explain how she became a vampire guys," Sunggyu pointed out. "We are completely not paying any attention to her question."

"A little over twenty years ago, our Mother was attacked. This was when she was nonchalantly walking around the village, at night, looking for her dog. An assassin, sent from a kingdom far away, was assigned to kill her, since she was a contributing factor to our Father's choice to not wed," Myungsoo was the one to answer my question. "He came up behind her and slashed , hitting her right where your 'voice box' is. Father smelled her blood; it's the one thing that we can't control also. There is that one person's blood that is absolutely sweeter and more attractive than the rest, like a drug for our system. Anyway, Father reacted so quickly, even leaving the palace gates to hastily bring her onto the kingdom grounds."

"Panicked, he asked his father what to do," Woohyun added. "Grandfather suggested feeding her his blood and taking hers, as an exchange. It gives her life and secures his. He knew that it was the only thing that could save her at that point. But he also knew how hard it was for Father to watch her die. It was the hardest decision Father had to make. He was trying to avoid this as much as he could, but knew that it was best for her to live."

"And so he did," Dongwoo further explained to me. "At first he thought she'd be angry, but she wasn't. It was what she wanted the most in the world, to be able to be with him. Do you recall the other part I told you? About her giving up something for love? She had lost the one thing that brought them together, her voice, and her normal life, but she gained the one thing she coveted—a life with the one who stole her heart. In her eyes, it was worth it."

"That is why they are so lovey dovey~" Sungjong giggled. "Those two are so in love, it's like every day is Valentine's Day."

"Father is one romantic guy though, you must admit," Sungyeol laughed alongside him. "He is the cleverest of us all, but it does explain how the rest of us are such charmers."

"And so the story carries on to us," Sunggyu finished. "Any more questions?"

"So you guys aren't vampires, technically?" I was slightly confused.

"We are," Hoya decided to be the one to answer my question. "We are born vampires, just not the human blood craving, vicious monsters that we are portrayed in society nowadays. The blood that goes through our veins is different from yours. We still need it to survive, human food fulfills about one percent of our hunger; we just take it from animals. It's the moment that we are willingly given blood that we fully transform into a full-fledged vampire—with the extra abilities and skills."

"So... if I prick you with a needle you'll bleed?"

"Yes, Sophia," Dongwoo stuffed a croissant into his mouth, "We will. We aren't made of diamonds you know."

"This all explains your agility and strength..." I muttered. "Wait! We are out in the sun! Why aren't you all burning!?"

All seven of them started laughing hysterically. I thought it was a very viable question to ask to be honest. I mean, really. Shouldn't they be crackling and screaming in pain and agony right now.

"Is that what's going around the rumor mill nowadays?!" Sungyeol couldn't breathe.

"Oh my word. I swear, we need to clear up so many things," Woohyun was basically rolling on the ground.

"That's another lie," Myungsoo calmed down first. "That probably started because vampires aren't typically 'seen' out in the day. Back then, they'd attack during the night because that's when people are normally sleeping. It's the easiest time to attack and leave without being noticed. And we blend in with society perfectly, otherwise."

"Then... why haven't any of you ever left the palace gates if you guys can blend in perfectly?"

"Because there are people who want us dead," Sunggyu took the lead this time. "Remember, even though we are the strongest, most powerful of them all, people still want us out of the way. If they can't kill us, then the last choice is to marry into our family. Don't forget, power is what all vampires hunger for the most."

"But the girls are so atrocious!" Sungjong yelled. "So cocky like 'Oh my word, Prince blah blah blah, you've gotten so much more attractive over the year. Blah blah blah. Oh don't you find me attractive. Blah blah blah.' We just hate that."

"All of us want something like Father has with Mother," Hoya smiled at me. "Someone to love and cherish because they make our hearts explode with happiness every time we see them."

That sentence made my own heart flutter. Is that how I fit into this? Wait, how do I fit into their lives? They did mention something about their father when I overheard their fighting yesterday. It's like the King was playing matchmaker when he asked me to move in.

"One last thing," I decided to ask what I was wondering. "How am I a part of this?"

"One's blood that is sweeter than the rest," Woohyun sang.

"All of us are attracted to the same person," Sunggyu's face turned red.

My eyes enlarged at the news. Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up! Wait a minute! "What?"

"Yeah..." Hoya scratched the back of his head, trying to hide his smile. "About that..."

"It's you," Myungsoo was to the point, as always. "The seven of us are fascinated by your aura. But it's all different feelings."

"What do you mean?" Dear lord. I have seven princes attracted to me. Seven vampire princes. Just my luck!

"Our hearts tell us different things," Sungjong smiled. "Like me, I want to play games with you all the time and we can go make some deserts and stuff. That's different from—"

"My feelings," Sungyeol interrupted him. "See, I want to keep a smile on your face through laughter and jokes. Which is probably the opposite from everyone else."

"Oh... I see..." I nodded.

I wonder how Myungsoo, Hoya, and Woohyun feel about me then. But... their hearts... Their hearts is with me, isn't it? All of them. And they can't even control it! That's probably the worst part. I wonder how it feels to have that happen to you. I shook that thought out of my head. I couldn't bear thinking about it.

My presumptions of them changed after this moment. My perspective changed drastically. What I hated about them, was what I assumed, not the truth. I didn't know what was really going on with them. It explained a lot. And now that I have a connection with them... what if I can change what they can't?

I mean, I'm not a vampire. I'm not confined in the palace walls. I can slowly alter the lives of the village, the town, my home.

Another thing was stuck in my thoughts... if I am what they're attracted to... does that mean I am meant to have the same fate as their Mother?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This has got to be my favorite chapter! Does it clear up some of the mysteries for you guys? it still leaves a couple more. but i will elaborate on that later on! (: hehe~ Tell me what you guys think! :D

oh ho ho~ you guys notice how the Queen never ever spoke a word? like how I incorporated that part into the story? Or what about Mrs. Moon? adkfhasf; I love this chapter! kdjhfaksdjhfa; XD This also shows how she is intertwined into their lives. But is this really their first meeting guys? I hope you guys are reading carefully because I've put hints and hints of other things before that's lead to now. 

I also apologize for no longer answering comments. I will pick it back up lol. I'll answer them but not the ones recently. I've gotten confused about who was who and when they commented according to which chapter. 

But lol. you guys are so cute XD I thought it was so obvious that they were vampires but i'm so happy that you are all pleasantly surprised about it :3 explains enough right? 

Feedback please :D I do not bite promise! <3