Chapter Twenty Nine—The Journal

I am not so easily wooed~

 

I wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't sure if I should have listened to Sungyeol and Sungjong's words and leave with them immediately or if I should have stayed behind to calm the professor down. It didn't matter. I knew I had to do something.

As I walked out of the room, without anyone leading the way, someone grasped onto my wrist. They pulled me back slightly. "Soph, don't," Damien pleaded.

"I need to know things, Damien," I didn't turn around and yanked my hand out of his grip. "Things that I will never find out if he were to die any time soon."

"I'll take care of it," he told me. "We don't know what kind of things will happen once he gets what he wants."

"We are in an area covered with hunters, plus you have the best vampires around, and a couple of BEASTs. Nothing will go wrong," I told him. "Just let me go."

"I agree with him," Yoseob placed his hand on Damien's shoulder. "It's not the wisest decision."

"Then tell me how else we could find the details about us?" I asked him.

"The documents we've collected," Damien told me. "They have all the information you could ever need. Just listen to us this one time Soph."

"Knowing her," Hyunseung nodded at the rest of his 'brothers'. They all made eye contact. "She won't change her mind."

"Five minutes," Damien growled under his breath behind me.

I turned my head slightly to look at the boys behind me, but realized that it wasn't for the best. My gaze then transferred to Sungjong and Sungyeol, who understood what it meant, and began to lead me back to the court room. All I could hear, even as I inched closer from quite a distance away, was the screams of a man. There were tons and tons of voices yelling at each other in the madness.

Taking a deep breath in, I walked into the room with a confidence that I had no right to possess. The other Woo boys' eyes enlarged as they noticed me. Sungjong and Sungyeol both bowed repeatedly in an attempt to show their failed mission of escorting me out. Professor Victor stopped rattling in his chains, and stared solely on me.

"My beautiful experiment..." he creepily smiled as he tried to inch closer to me. But the chains held him back. "My wonderful creation."

"You are a pathetic old man," I didn't blink as those words escaped my lips. "It's not of your power to experiment on living people as if they were yours to control. You are nothing but a ruthless waste of humanity."

"I am the reason you are alive," he whispered maniacally. "You should be bowing down to me. I am your creator."

"Experimenting on such innocent people who had bright futures does not make you a creator. All you do is destroy. You manipulate and completely ruin the lives of all those in your path, both quickly and slowly. You—You are useless."

He scoffed to the side. His grin didn't fade. That stupid grin. I wanted to beat him repeatedly. I wanted to be the one to take his life away. "You are just like her. In every way. Speaking your thoughts like this without a single regret. It's as if she never died."

"Stop speaking about my mother like that!" I yelled in my place. "You have no right."

"I saved your mother. Why don't you ask the lovely King Tablo why she was the sole survivor... heh. Well, now it's only you, isn't it? Ask him. Ask them all. About the Bloody Massacre. Question their real motives. Why? Why would an entire clan almost be murdered? Why was she the one who survived? It's all because of me. I am the reason she lived. I raised her. I looked after her. I taught her everything she knew about being a vampire and humans alike. And all she needed to do was marry the damn King of Seoul as a thank you to me," he looked at me. His eyes expressed just how insane he had truly gotten. Were his words even the truth? "Her beauty should have been enough to capture your cold heart permanently!" He pointed to Tablo. "You and her fell in love! And you pushed her away! You let her fall for a human while you in turn fell for one yourself!"

King Tablo remained mute. Tears began to form on his eyes. I felt the pain. He... He was crying? Since when did vampires convey this kind of emotion? That means it was all true. He knew my mother this whole time. He had been pretending to not know a thing.

Was everything a lie?

"All you want is power," Tablo told him. "You never looked out for her well being. You never cared for her."

"And you did? Heh. Tell me, oh so powerful King, the ways you showed her that you loved her. Explain to me your romance," he stared the King down. "But wait, you cannot. Simply because you didn't love her enough to go to her aid when she needed you the most."

The King twitched in his place. Now this caused the entire room to just sulk. The silence engulfed everyone's demeanor. What were they talking about?

"There is a lot you don't know Project D. So don't you come around here until you are fully educated. The people, those who you say care about you so much, really take a good look at them. And once you realize the truth, you're going to see that the only person who hasn't lied to you is me. And you're going to thank me. And you're going to help me on my quest for a much better world," he laughed. "You are the key to a new existence."

I walked closer to him with ease. Taking his words into account, my entire being was destroyed. He was right. My hand swept by the weapon of one of the hunters and gripped onto his dagger tightly. I took in all options. Do I set him free and go with him? He is the only one who can save me. He is the only one who can fix me. Do I kill him? Do I make him suffer? Do I let him live?

But he was right about one thing. It seems like everyone around me has lied to my face; everyone except him.

I stopped an inch away from him. He got up from his knees and stared at me. His dirty body showed just how little he cared about himself. I raised the weapon, holding it a foot away from chains. I was capable of it. I was capable of everything.

I'm not weak. I'm not a damsel in distress.

"That is where you are wrong," I decided to finally tell him. "I am not the key to your super race. I am merely someone who got lucky. Being part vampire slowed down the effects of degradation. I am slowly dying with every breath I take.  Simply because you experimented on me, my mother, my father, those other couples, their children, my childhood friends, and others. You tried to take control of nature. It's not something to mess with. And it's time for you to see what kind of hell you've put people through. You will no longer be able to cause any harm to anyone." In one fluid motion, I cut him across his throat. His blood sprayed all against my face and hair but didn't care. He couldn't escape my attack. "And my name is Sophia. Not Project D."

The same expression of surprise and astonishment stayed on his face. He immediately raised his hands to try to cover his neck, a way to attempt to stop the bleeding or at least halt it. But his efforts were useless. The Professor fell to his knees, losing blood by every passing second. And I watched it happen.

I felt nothing—nothing at all.

"Sophia!" Damien ran into the room, wrapping his arms around me. He turned my entire body around and placed his hand against the back of my head. I stared at my feet as my head was forced against his chest. Still. Nothing my mind.

"It's time to go," Sunggyu's assertive voice told us.

Keeping my head lowered, Damien took off his jacket and placed it above my head. It would cause the biggest riot if people saw me with blood all over my face. The other boys were kind enough to surround me fully, so no one could merely see the blood on my clothes. This walk out of the court really made a difference. Well, this entire day did.

"Damn," I heard Junhyung's voice whisper from my side. The BEASTs had accompanied us the entire way. "Even after all this time Soph still knows how to kick some—"

"," Doojoon interrupted.

"Stop being a pansy," Junhyung growled.

"This isn't the time guys," Dongwoon took control.

"We don't even know where we are going," Kikwang announced. "We have nowhere to go, don't forget."

"Anywhere is better than here," Hyunseung added.

I heard the doors of a carriage open. We walked that far already? I didn't notice because I had my head down the entire time. Damien gave me a light push, forcing me into the carriage. I comfortably sat, noticing a pile of books on the seat across from me.

"There are towels in one bag and clothes in another," he told me. "A bucket of water is next to your feet. We're giving you your privacy. The fourteen of us will be right behind your carriage, alright?"

I stared at him before nodding. This was going to be the longest ride of my life. I pushed all of the books to lie flatly on the seat, so they wouldn't tumble if we were to ride over a rough patch. Pulling out a towel and dipping it into the bucket of water, I washed off every drop of blood on my body and face. Taking off my clothes, I also changed into the shorts and shirt supplied in the bag.

What were the books for?

I reached out for the one that was on the top of the pile. It was simply written on in such beautiful handwriting. The binding was carefully cared for. It must have meant a lot.

As I opened the journal, the air out of my body was out. It was my mother's.

Dear Sophia,

Today is the day I am going to give you away. I... I don't know what else to do actually. Quite silly of me right? To give up so easily. But I simply cannot handle it anymore. I've watched families die around me because of the Professor's experiments. And I am honestly not capable of watching him do the same things to you and your father any longer. I have to say goodbye to you, my love, my dear, my baby. This is the only way to ensure that you will live.

I sent a letter to a dear friend a couple of days ago. I'm sure he has already gotten a hold of it and has read it. But... I am also positive that he will not aid me. I do hope that he extends his hand and helps you. All I can do now is pray—pray that you live a beautiful life for me and your father.

You are such a beautiful baby. I know you are going to be so captivating later in life. From the moment I saw you, I knew you'd be destined for greatness. There is so much I want to say. There is so much I want for you to know. But I am glad—simply because I got to spend three weeks with you. My Sophia... you are a quiet little thing. Whenever your eyes stared into mine, I always feel a surge of happiness and peace. You are a miracle. You are my miracle.

I am going to miss your little laugh. It's so cute yet mischievous. You have my mother's beautiful big brown eyes, which is why I named you after her. That story is for another time. I already miss you so much, yet here you are right beside me. You are sleeping so comfortably in a woven basket covered in soft blankets. I am going to miss having you in my arms and holding you at all times. I am going to miss knowing that your smile was enough to give me life.

It is time. Your father has arranged everything for me. These are my last moments with you. And I am going to cherish every second, just as I have since the moment I knew you were going to enter this world.  

Always remember, Mother loves you.

I froze after reading the first page. Do I continue? Is my heart strong enough to take this? Am I strong enough to handle this sort of pain? My mother's true feelings and words are sprawled all across this journal. Was it time to finally dive into her mind? My hands trembled as I thought about flipping to the next page. I could throw the journal out right now. I could stop my heart from aching.

What do I do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry ;w; I have been declining writing simply because I ran out of inspiration ): I apologize. This chapter was a rather emotional one to write T____T It's about to get worse, so have a box of tissues handy guys! 

The next chapter will surely break all hearts D: