Chapter Fifteen—The Disease

I am not so easily wooed~

 

I couldn't piece together how I truly felt at that moment. I was... lost. I was out of it. My eyes adjusted ever so slowly to my surrounding. Someone's hands under my back and knees suggested that I was being carried. But the way the wind felt against my skin and how my entire body was being pushed against this person's body, suggested that they weren't walking. They were running for it.

"Oh my God!" their voice cried.

I heard rustling following us. But the figure didn't seem to slow down a bit. My eyes focused on their sharp jaw. I tried to speak but couldn't seem to find the words. Everything around me was going in slow motion.

I out again; the next time I opened my eyes I was being placed on an unfamiliar couch. Someone placed the coldest ice pack onto my forehead, which sent shivers down my spine. Murmurs and cries echoed all around me. I felt like I was in a room full of panic and worry. I wondered why.

What was going on?

"Sophia! Soph! Do you hear my voice, dear?" a familiar loving voice called to me. "Sophia! Sweetheart! We are going to get you checked alright?..." That's when their voice began to fade. I just started to hear pieces of their sentences. "...doctor...best...diagnosed..."

I slipped into another world, once more. After a while, these dreams I've been having are becoming more vivid, scarier than ever before. I stood in the middle of a field, covered in the brightest of daisies. This was the first time in months that I felt completely at ease. I released all of the pain, the frustration, the anger, the sadness, the stress—all of it into the sky above me. My body twirled in circles, a smile appeared on my face, laughter escaped me.

All until I stepped onto a hard surface. This... this stone caused me to fall forward. I brushed against the dirty surface, uncovering an all too familiar name underneath. It was my own. I threw my entire body back, shocked by what I just saw.

How could my name be on that?

From a distance, seven familiar figures walked towards me. Each of the Princes held onto a different bouquet of flowers. They dare not smile, laugh, or look at each other for some odd reason. I called out their names, each one, but none seemed to respond. Were they ignoring me?

"Hello!" I yelled. "Do you not see me?!"

My question was answered—they couldn't. Each stopped in front of the...tombstone...placing their flowers around it. Tears seemed to rain down as they properly cleaned the surroundings of the stone. Not a single word was spoken.

"Why can't any of you look at me right now!?" I cried. "What's going on?!"

I got up and tried to reach out to touch Sunggyu's shoulders. But my hand didn't seem to have an effect, but merely went through his body. I tried again with Sungjong, nothing. They couldn't see me because I wasn't there. I wasn't alive.

In another blink, I woke up in the staff quarters. An old man'a face looked distressed. Tears ran down everyone's eyes around me. Mrs. Moon had her entire back turned to me. My eyes took a few more seconds adjusting before my voice followed.

"What... happened?" I asked.

"Have you been experiencing these moments for a while?" the doctor asked me.

I nodded to show that I had. They were getting worse. I'd had them for at least a year, but those weren't as frequent as they are now. He sighed loudly, pulling back his hand from my forehead. His entire body pressed against his chair before he stood up.

"Then it is true," he told the room. "All of the signs point to it."

"No! Benjamin!" Mrs. Moon's eyes were as red as could be. "Benjamin! This has to be some sort of mistake!"

"Her brain shows all the warnings," he didn't look at her as he packed his things. "I can see it growing inside, manifesting each inch of her medulla. Plus the fact that her headaches have been escalating to passing out like this. It's... it's the truth."

Mrs. Moon ran to my side, her hand grasping onto my own. "Oh my dear! You cannot! Not you! I would trade places with you in a heartbeat if I could!"

I looked at her with confused eyes. "What do you mean?"

Mrs. Moon buried her face into a pillow. I guess she couldn't tell me. I turned to all the figures around me. Each of the boys had tears running down their eyes, even Damien. I recognized King Tablo and Queen Jenny, plus Anthony and Isaiah. They all knew what was going on.

"What is wrong with me?" I asked. My throat couldn't utter up much more. "What's going on with my body?"

"You have a tumor," Damien answered.

"One that is in your brain," Myungsoo threw his cup of water against the wall, the glass shattering into thousands of tiny shards.

Queen Jenny turned her back to me, holding onto her husband for dear life. The King's happy eyes no longer expressed his usual optimism. It was replaced with pain.

I processed what they told me. A tumor. That can easily be fixed right? "Okay, then fix it. I'll go have surgery."

"It's not possible," Sunggyu's voice cracked.

"Your tumor is pressed against vital areas of your brain," Sungyeol dared not look at my eyes.

Hoya sniffled before finishing his sentence. "Cancer is incurable. If we were to take it out, that doesn't mean it'll be gone for good."

"It can't be cancer," I felt the tears coming. "It can't be..." But it made sense. All of the headaches I've been having. The countless and endless dreams in my mind. My weak body over all. I was deteriorating.

"If we could, we'd fix it," Woohyun stood up, his voice barely able to translate his words properly. "Vampire blood accelerates healing, but it cannot heal where nothing is broken."

"She is broken!" Damien let out his anger. He looked away at me, taking steps towards the door. "She's dying and here we are forced to accept it. We have to watch you die, Soph; with no possible way of helping you at all."

I sat up, patting Mrs. Moon's head. All of their words... the truth... I accepted it. Death wasn't a scary thing for me to believe. Everyone dies eventually, right? Some sooner than others, correct? I guess... it was my time to go. It sure wasn't a painless way to die.

"Don't cry," I pleaded. "Don't cry for me." I tried to smile, tried to make it seem better. "How much time do I have?"

"At this rate," the old man said, "you have a month at the most."

"A month..." I looked at my feet, trailed to my hands, and then watched everyone. "A month isn't that long."

"A month isn't long enough!" Dongwoo growled. "A month! A month!"

"Dongwoo..." Sungjong pleaded. "Calm down."

"None of us can honestly say that we don't think this is ridiculous," Sungyeol said. "How can you put a timeline on someone's life?"

"Save her," Damien ordered. "One of you..." I'm sure he said 'filthy', but said it under his breath. "One of you save her."

"We can't," Myungsoo looked at him. "What do you want us to do? Feeding her our blood will do nothing."

"Do whatever you have to," Damien scowled.

"There is a way," the King spoke. "There is a way but it will not be easy."

The Queen looked just as surprised as the rest of us. Mrs. Moon lifted her head, the tears having stopped. "What do you mean dad?" asked Woohyun.

"If she goes through the surgery," he said. "If she does..."

"That will kill her!" Hoya abruptly yelled.

"Calm down..." Sungjong patted his back. He felt his brothers' anger, but felt more pain than anger. He couldn't be mad.

"Let me elaborate," the King continued. "Doing so will bring her to the brink of death. Similar to your mother. But if you feed her your blood quickly enough, it will raise her healing abilities."

"That won't be quick enough," Sunggyu told him. "No matter how much we feed her, she will lose more blood than her body could heal."

"Not if you turn her," he finished his suggestion. "We heal even quicker."

Damien twitched at his suggestion. His hands quickly formed fists, showing how he truly felt. His worst fear. His number one goal. "Turn... her... into one of you..." he growled.

"We aren't so fond of it either, alright," Sunggyu said.

"Isn't that what you all want?" Damien anger took over his body. "To have her become like one of you."

"Never," all of the boys spoke. Even the King, Isaiah, and Anthony.

"Let me tell you something, sonny," Isaiah coughed. "I don't know where you get this perception that all we want is to take the humanity away from someone, but we don't."

"The last thing on our minds when we love someone," Anthony added, "is to turn them into something like us. This, this whole eternal life business, it's not exactly the best thing in the world. It's more of a curse than a blessing."

"If any of us had a choice, we'd turn human," the King finished. "The ability to age is something we can no longer experience. To love whomever you adore, with no fear of hurting them both physically and mentally, is also something that we envy you for."

Damien turned his back to everyone, rushing out of the building as quickly as he could. If I could, I would've run after him. Mrs. Moon immediately got up, and chased him, as if she read my mind. The Queen followed her as the King, Isaiah, and Anthony after all of them. I was left with the boys.

"Turning me..." I sighed. "Turning me is an option."

"No!" Myungsoo, Hoya, and Woohyun yelled.

"Think about this rationally," Sunggyu told them. "If it saves her... then it is worth it... isn't it?"

"To turn her into one of us?" Hoya growled. "To have her end up like Mother. This is precisely what we've been trying to avoid this whole time!"

"It's her choice," Sungyeol told his brothers. "We can't control her life."

"Either we lose her or we save her," Dongwoo bluntly announced.

"Hell no!" Myungsoo groaned. "Either we turn her or we don't!"

"We are not doing anything to her," Woohyun looked at me with pure hurt in his eyes.

"Then you want to say goodbye forever?" Sungjong asked.

"Of course not..." Hoya answered.

"Then becoming a vampire is the only option," Sungyeol told him.

"Do you want her to go through the pain our parents do? Mother can't leave the palace gates and visit her own family because of what happened. She has to turn her entire back on her life right now. And we all know how much Sophia loves her family!" Woohyun said in one breath.

The stress in the entire room heightened. I didn't know how to tell them what I felt. To be honest... I didn't know what to feel. I have cancer. I have a huge tumor in my brain. One that cannot be removed without me dying. And that doesn't even secure my safety because cancers regenerate. Heh. Wonderful... isn't it?

I kept a positive eye though. A month. One single month to adore my life. Isn't it wonderful to know how long you have? Or would you rather not know? Paranoia is most likely to attack your mind, and those who know about your condition. It's obvious that the boys, Princes and Damien, all took my disease to heart. They... they are bearing the pain that I don't have. But I'm not scared. I have one month to change things... one month to make decision... one month to say my proper goodbyes.

Given the choice both sides come with pros and cons. Become a vampire and live eternally, but have to say goodbye to my entire family forever. Or die surrounded by those whom I love the most.

I fear not the future, but fear of what I could do to my loved ones. 

~~~~~~~~~~

I apologize for being gone for weeks! I did the best I could studying for my tests and such adhfkajshdf ;w; I'm about to start freaking out because I feel like I've missed out on so much. >_____> I'm close to writing the next chapter so I'm about to go off~! hehe~ 

But this chapter is quite controversial, don't you believe so? It will take one hell of an effect on the rest of the story, trust me. To be one or not? What would you choose? Tell me below! :D <3