Meant To Be [MS]

As long as you love me

Most people ate their main Christmas meal on Christmas Eve, which consisted mostly of seafood like shellfish, molluscs, lobster and crabs, and deserts and sweets like ‘turrón’ (a nougat made of honey, sugar, egg white and toasted almonds) and ‘polvorones’ (a shortbread made of flour, milk, sugar and nuts). It was the time of the year when families would reunite again to celebrate together; it wasn’t just about Christianity anymore, as a lot of non-Christians celebrated it too, –this was the case of Solar, who was a Buddhist– it was a tradition.

However, Moonbyul couldn’t care less about traditions. She hadn’t always hated Christmas, she had actually loved it as a child, when she would play games with her cousins, sing and dance together and stay awake until midnight to open the presents. It was a lot of fun then, but that was when her grandfather was still there. She missed him a lot, everyone did. When he was young, he was a hardworking man who had three jobs so he could support his family –being poor and having too many children was tough, but he was strong– he barely slept at all. He had been the nicest and most compassionate person she had ever known; he had always stopped people from fighting, he just wanted everyone to have fun and be happy. Maybe that was why everything went wrong with her family when cancer took his life. Even people she despised and thought were heartless monsters cried his death. He was that kind of man.

She didn’t have a great relationship with her family anymore, everyone fought over the smallest and stupidest things, and the fact they would always end up talking about politics and racist stuff or things like her stupid uality, didn’t help at all. They hadn’t known, of course –she was sure they wouldn’t have said anything about it had they known– but she still excused herself to go to the bathroom and cried there for a long time; when she came out of it, she explained she had felt sick. She hadn’t dared come out to her family after that but, nonetheless, she told her sisters and parents. Her sisters didn’t care at all and, although her mother had struggled with it at first, she accepted her for who she was. However, her father hadn’t been so understanding.

She hoped Christmas would be better this year, as she was going out with Solar. They had decided to meet in the morning before going to their respective houses and help their families prepare the meal. Moonbyul was glad she had the older girl, she made her happy just by being Yongsun. She wasn’t sure whether it was because of her feelings for her or because Solar was a ray of sunshine; either way, she knew her life was much better with her by her side.

‘You know, my sister asked why I’m never home.’ Moonbyul had meant her little sister, Seulgi. They had a great relationship, and they wanted to live together when they were older.

‘That’s funny, my sister asked why you’re always here’, Solar laughed. The answer to both questions was obvious: she loved to spend her time with Solar.

‘It kinda feels like we’re living together.’

‘That’s because you spend more time here than you do at home. Should I tell my mum to adopt you?’ Solar had meant it as a joke, but when she thought about it, she wasn’t against living with Moonbyul either.

‘That depends, would she agree?’

‘I don’t think she’d like the idea of raising another child’, Solar stuck her tongue out teasingly.

‘Ouch.’ Moonbyul brought her hand to her chest, pretending she was hurt. ‘Are you implying you’re babysitting me?’

‘I’m not implying anything, that’s what you are.’

‘Even if I was a baby, we both know your mum would love to have me as a daughter.’

‘Wow, you’re cocky.’

‘I’m not being cocky, I know for a fact that your mum would like me in your family.’

When Moonbyul had arrived to Solar’s place, her mother had been the one to open the door. They both had said hi to each other when they noticed how excitedly Solar had run to the door to greet Moonbyul. Solar’s arms found their way around Moonbyul’s neck while Moonbyul hugged her around her waist. Solar’s mother left them alone with an ‘I should have booked you two a room’, making both of them blush. She had assumed they were dating.

‘God, that was so embarrassing that I wanted to die.’ Solar’s face went red once again as she remembered what had happened before.

‘So, when’s the wedding?’

‘Keep dreaming, Byul, I’m never marrying you.’

‘What about being my girlfriend?’ It wasn’t supposed to be a serious question, they were only joking. Then why did Moonbyul feel so shy after uttering the words? She was aware of how fast her heart was beating; she hoped the pink-haired girl wouldn’t notice how nervous she was at that moment. She wished she was confident enough to ask her for real, but she was too scared of Solar’s answer.

‘I don’t know, Byul, I’d have to think about it.’ Moonbyul had expected a no for an answer, which was usually the way Solar would react, she wasn’t good at being open about her feelings, she preferred to deny everything; but when she didn’t, Moonbyul got her confidence back.

‘That’s not a no then. Guess you love me.’ She knew there was no way Solar had meant it, there was nothing to think about, just because she had admitted she had wanted to kiss her didn’t mean she’d go out with her. She probably didn’t even feel like kissing her anymore, the moment had passed. After Eric had interrupted them for the second time, they hadn’t mentioned it again, so things went back to how they used to be, except they were a lot more comfortable with skinship now.

‘Guess I enjoyed our date.’ Little did Moonbyul know how serious about thinking about their relationship Solar had been. Relationships scared her, they always ended, and she didn’t want to fight with Moonbyul, she couldn’t lose her, it was too risky. However, that was before their date.

They went to a karaoke –it had been Solar’s idea since she loved singing– and Moonbyul couldn’t help but stare at her in awe, her angelic voice had captivated her. Moonbyul wouldn’t stop complimenting her after that, saying how good she was at singing and insisted she could be a professional singer. It had been Solar’s dream to become a singer, but her parents wanted her to study; Moonbyul had been the only one to support her, and she really appreciated it.

It was Moonbyul’s turn to sing, she was too shy, she wasn’t confident in her singing skills, so she decided to rap instead. Solar was amazed, her eyes fixed on her, and she felt more attracted to her, if that was even possible. She wondered why it had taken them so long to listen to each other sing when they had known each other for so long. The song finished, but Solar couldn’t stop looking at her. Moonbyul called her name, but Solar didn’t react. ‘Let’s sing a duet’, Solar suggested suddenly. Moonbyul wanted to refuse, but Solar wouldn’t take a no for an answer. It was like she had expected, Moonbyul’s voice was beautiful and soothing, and they soon discovered their voices fitted each other’s. Solar was starting to think they were meant to be, they were perfect opposites, they were the Moon and the Sun, but maybe that was how things were supposed to be, because everything seemed to be easier with Moonbyul. The way the younger girl treated her –when she wasn’t being a little – made her feel loved. Moonbyul was really gentle, and Solar just wanted to hold her and keep her forever in her life. She loved her best friend; there was no way she could deny it anymore.

‘You enjoyed our date that much, huh?’ Moonbyul’s words interrupted her thoughts. ‘But I thought I was a baby, Yong, that’s kinda illegal.’

‘You are a baby though, my baby.’ Solar smiled lovingly at her and Moonbyul didn’t know how to react, although she could get used to this soft side of Solar. ‘Wanna go on a date with me again?’ Solar’s question took Moonbyul by surprise, she couldn’t believe it.

‘YES!’ Moonbyul’s response showed how eager she was, making Solar giggle.

‘Cute. Where do you wanna go?’

‘I don’t care, as long as I’m with you.’

‘You’re so cheesy, Byul’, Solar smacked Moonbyul’s shoulder playfully. ‘I’m being serious though, where do you wanna go?

‘Wherever we won’t meet another woman who will tell us what we can or can’t do.’ Moonbyul was talking about the day when they had met Chorong and Bomi; they were playing with Star Wars toys, with lightsabers, when a woman had told them to stop playing with toys for boys. FOR BOYS! Since when had Star Wars been about girls or boys? Ligthsabers were all the same. Besides, gender labels were stupid. Why couldn’t people just enjoy whatever they wanted?

‘Don’t even remind me! Sadly, there’s nothing we can do about that.’

‘That’s true. I wonder what she would have said to you if she had known you’re learning boxing.’

‘She would have told me I’m not a man.’ Solar rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelieve.

‘I love how strong you’re getting though’, Moonbyul confessed as she ran her hand over Solar’s stomach, feeling her clothed abs. Solar didn’t seem to mind, she wasn’t complaining, and Moonbyul was feeling bold. She slid her hand under her T-shirt and ran her fingers along her skin, sending a jolt of electricity through Solar’s body. They stared silently into each other’s eyes the whole time, their faces slowly drawing closer to one another.

‘Jesus, Yongsun! She’s not even of legal age yet, don’t ert the poor girl.’ Yonghee, Solar’s older sister, complained as she saw the close proximity between both of them, making them nervous. Solar quickly pushed Moonbyul away and took a few steps back. ‘At least close the door.’

‘She’s the erted one!’

‘Oh, I see. You’re blaming your girlfriend now? Yongsun, take responsibility for your actions.’ Yonghee always loved to younger sister. Perhaps that was why Moonbyul and Yonghee got along so well, because annoying Yongsun was their hobby.

‘We weren’t doing anything! Aish, unnie, just go to your own room.’

‘Fine, fine. I’ll leave you two love birds in peace. Have fun with your date.’

*

Moonbyul’s mother was starting to suspect her daughter had a thing for Solar. Since she had arrived home after going out with her, Moonbyul had been distracted, focused on her phone, expecting a reply from the other girl. At first, she had thought they were fighting because Moonbyul wasn’t being herself, but Moonbyul’s smile said otherwise, and then she knew something good had happened; she didn’t know what, but she knew no one made her that happy.

Moonbyul was supposed to spend Christmas with her family, and she did, for a while. She tried really hard to keep shut all the time, only replying when necessary, she didn’t want to cause more trouble, she knew she’d start an argument if she spoke her mind, and she wasn’t in the mood to get yelled at. When she announced she would go Solar’s place later, everyone looked at her suspiciously, but she couldn’t care less what they thought about her anymore, she would live her life the way she wanted.

*

Solar couldn’t stop thinking about Moonbyul. They had seen each other a few hours ago, but she couldn’t wait to see her again. When they went out before, they walked hand in hand; it was nice. It made her feel like they were more than friends, but it wasn’t scary, it didn’t feel like they would ruin their relationship. No, it felt right. However, not everyone agreed with them. They had had the misfortune to come across someone who had made sure they knew how much she disapproved of them. Who did she think she was to tell people she didn’t even know they were gross? It pissed Solar off. She was about to answer back when Moonbyul let go of her hand and apologised to the older girl. The woman had finally left, at least.

‘Don’t be an idiot, Byul. Why do you care what they think?’

‘I’m not being. I just don’t want people to say stuff about you because of me.’

‘Byul-ah, I don’t care what they say though, so it shouldn’t bother you either.’ She paused. Moonbyul didn’t seem to care about others anymore, there was only Yongsun for her. ‘Unless you want us to stop...’

‘I don’t.’ It took Moonbyul less than a second to answer. ‘I love what we have.’

‘So do I.’

‘Yong–’ Moonbyul reached for Solar and hugged her. ‘Thanks.’ Solar hugged her back and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

‘I’m proud of you.’ They broke the hug, but stared into each other’s eyes again.

‘What was that for? I haven’t done anything.’

‘Maybe I just felt like kissing you.’ Shy Moonbyul was Solar’s new favourite thing, and it made her want to tease –that was what she called flirting– her even more.

‘You’re welcome to kiss me anytime.’ Moonbyul knew she was pushing her luck, but it was now or never, she needed to know whether Solar had changed her mind about her.

‘Wouldn’t you like that?’

‘I don’t know. Maybe you should try me.’

‘Maybe I will.’

‘You wouldn’t dare.’

Solar was so lost in her thoughts that she did not hear her sister calling her. ‘Yongsun’, Yonghee called her again, but she wouldn’t hear. ‘Kim Yongsun, come back from Moonbyuland.’ She finally got her attention. ‘You were drooling. Were you being a again?’

‘I wasn’t!’ Solar was flustered. Was she so obvious that everyone knew when she thought about the younger girl?

‘You’ve not even tried your food, little sis. You can lie to yourself all you want but you won’t fool me.’

‘I really wasn’t–’

‘Don’t waste your time. We know, so invite her over. You clearly want to, and mum and dad are cool with it too.’

‘They are?’ Solar wondered when they had been talking about them behind her back. She was a hundred percent sure she had been secretive about her feelings; however, everyone seemed to know.

‘Yes. We just want you to be happy, so what are you waiting for? Text your girl.’

*

Moonbyul arrived shortly after dinner, which used to be the fun part of the night –at least it used to be for her in the past, when her family wasn’t a mess– when people sang songs, danced, played games and then opened presents after midnight. She had left the presents she had bought for her family at home –they had nametags anyway, so she didn’t need to be there– and she would open hers later. She hadn’t left all of them there though; when Solar opened the door, Moonbyul received her with one in her hands.

‘What’s that, Byulyi?’

‘I know it’s not midnight yet, but Santa Claus brought me this for you’, Moonbyul said as she handed her a tiny box. ‘You must have been a good kid this year.’

‘You didn’t have to...’

‘I wanted to.’

She finally opened it; it was a necklace with her name in Greek. Solar smiled to herself, hugged, and thanked Moonbyul.

‘I have something for you too. Come in.’ She took her hand and led her inside. ‘Here.’ She gave her a box the same size. When she opened it, she couldn’t believe her eyes. What were the chances? Had it been destiny? Solar had bought the exact same thing for her, except it had Moonbyul’s name.

*

It was two in the morning, Moonbyul was ready to come back home when Solar’s mother stopped her and asked if she wanted to stay the night –like she had done so many times– since it was late. Moonbyul didn’t have to think about it twice.

They were in Solar’s bed, the older girl holding Moonbyul close; the younger one resting her head on Solar’s chest, her arm. They were tired but they couldn’t fall asleep, they didn’t want to.

Moonbyul looked up at her face. She remembered the way Solar had gently cupped her face, how softly she had her cheeks with her thumbs, how warm her breath had been when it hit her lips, how good it felt when they had finally kissed... They had only pressed their lips together for a few seconds, but it felt amazing to finally be able to do what they had desired for so long. Solar had looked at Moonbyul with a proud smile after breaking the kiss, and Moonbyul assumed she had wanted it as much as she had.

‘Yong, about before… Why did you do it?’ A long silence followed Moonbyul’s question. Solar wasn’t about to admit that the moment she had seen her pretty face, she had wanted to kiss her. The lack of words made Moonbyul anxious. Why wasn’t she saying anything? Did she regret it?

‘You said I could’, Solar finally answered.

‘If–’, Moonbyul hesitated. ‘If I said I wanted you kiss you again... Would you stop me?’ Moonbyul her lips and Solar’s eyes moved to .

‘I wouldn’t.’

Placing herself on top of Solar, Moonbyul initiated the kiss this time. It felt much more intimate and passionate; it was slow and sensual. Solar closed her eyes sensing Moonbyul’s lips brush against hers; she loved the way her soft lips moved. Wrapping her arms around her neck, Solar moved hers in sync with Moonbyul’s. They kissed for as long as they could. They pulled apart, to catch their breath, and stared nervously at one another.

‘How was it? Did you like it?’ Moonbyul asked, almost in a whisper, as if scared to hear her answer.

‘You are so cute, Byul.’ Solar brought their lips together once again as an answer to Moonbyul’s question. They needn’t name their relationship yet, they would enjoy the moment for now.

 


Hi guys! ^^ It took me longer than usual, but I wrote a double chapter

I asked you guys who you wanted to read about and you said Moonsun, so here it is :')
Kryber was the 2nd couple with the most votes, then Chomi. So I'll bring them back next time ^^
(I'll write about everyone who had at least 1 vote)

About the Star Wars bit, it happened to me in real life, so I thought 'why not write about this?' I got so mad.

I wanted to thank everyone for reading and subscribing <3
And my grandfather too, for being my hero.