Part 8: Cherries, Presentations and Pastries

Hide and Seek

- - -

Part 8: Cherries, Presentations and Pastries

- - -


“Yah! What took you so long?” was what Amber said as greetings when the pair arrived at the table, something red and thin caught between her teeth.

The others moved to make room for the additional people. Kibum sat beside Taemin, which was the only free space.

“Practice and stuff.” Was what Jonghyun said as he sat beside Kibum their shoulders brushing at each other with every movement.

“Why are you guys here by the way?” Kibum asked Jinki and Minho who both seemed to have their mouths occupied with something unknown to him and Jonghyun.

“I invited them over, hyung. Isn’t it fun? You know, the more the merrier?” Taemin answered, rather more enthusiastic than normal. Kibum eyed him suspiciously but he just continued to smile sweetly.

“Araseo, araseo.” Kibum  said as he patted Taemin’s head. “Have you guys eaten? And what’s with those tattered cherry stalks?” he asked pointing on the messy lump of red stalks on the table.

Sulli poked her tongue out and there was a pretzel-like  cherry stalk on it. She got it out ,squealed and laughed. “You see?! Ha! I tied it!” she laughed even more and then turned to Kibum and Jonghyun who looked confused of her little celebration over a stalk. “Oh! Oppa, yes we ate already. Actually we are having dessert.  Jinki oppa brought the cherries and we are having a little game with the stalks.” and she smiled knowingly.

“What game?” Kibum eagerly asked.

Sulli was about to answer but Jonghyun spoke first.

“Save the story, sweetheart. Let’s grab something to eat first, Babe. We still have practices later.” He then stood up waiting for Kibum to do the same. When the younger just looked at him, an eyebrow raised, Jonghyun grab his wrist and pulled him up and lead him to the food counters. Sulli giggled, Amber and Taemin high-fived, Minho just shook his head and Jinki popped a new cherry in his mouth.

When they came back, Kibum had his arms crossed over his chest and Jonghyun was the one to carry the tray with their food and drinks.

“You really call that food? That won’t even reach your stomach.” Jonghyun said as he placed the vegetable salad in front of Kibum with his iced tea.

“Pssh! What about that calories and fats excuse for a burger? That’s not food either.” Kibum replied glaring at Jonghyun’s burger as if it is something disgusting.

“Yah, yah! It has protein.” He answered back pouting a little.

“Still not healthy enough.”

“At least it’s not a bunch of tasteless leaves.”

Kibum was ready to retort again but was interrupted by muffled chuckles of Taemin, Sulli and Amber.

“What?!” the pair asked in unison.

“You look like a bickering married couple.” and they continued laughing, Minho and Jinki joining in. Kibum blushed and looked away while Jonghyun’s eyes grew rounder and bigger but he smiled in the end.

“Aish! You guys are imagining things… Yah! Stop laughing, Jonghyun!” Kibum bellowed. He then grabbed Jonghyun's burger and stuffed it in the elder’s mouth. “There. Eat up okay?” and he patted Jonghyun's stuffed cheeks and turned towards his own food. However his actions made the others laugh harder.

“Yah! Stop that already. Continue with your game or something.”

“Ah ne. You should eat faster so you could join us too.” Jinki said as he picked another cherry from the container.

After a while Kibum and Jonghyun finished eating.

“Do you know about the cherry stalk myth? That’s how this game goes.” Jinki asked, but the pair shook their head no.

“Okay, so you should eat a cherry.  Then, tie a knot with the stalk using only your mouth, teeth and tongues included.” Sulli explained.

“The faster the better.” Amber added. “Begin.”

They each got a cherry, ate it and worked on the stalk. The others just watched them. After more or less than thirty seconds, almost simultaneously, Kibum and Jonghyun got out messily knotted stalks to everyone’s surprise.

“What the—?!” Amber didn’t even finished the profanity because was hanging open.

“Wicked!!!” Taemin blurted out, eyes growing bigger.       

“Efff no!” Minho said as he slammed his fist on the table.

While Jinki and Sulli remained a silent and just let their jaws drop and their eyes grew wide.

All those curses and actions done all at once because of those certain knotted stalks.

“What exactly are your problem guys?” Kibum asked, a little annoyed because of the curses that went out of his friends mouths, which was most probably, directed to him and Jonghyun. “It’s just a freaking cherry stalk!”

“Aaaah! You don’t really— like really, really— know what that means???” Amber asked, standing up exaggerating her actions.

“Told you, no.” Kibum replied.

She turned to Jonghyun and he just shook his head no.

“Amber noona~ just let them be.” Taemin comforted.

“But that was thirty ing seconds!” Minho mumbled, but still loud enough for Kibum to hear.

“Yah! Choi Minho, watch your words! My baby is here!” he said with a glare.

“Oh, Babe. You don’t need to be too cautious with those kinds of words when I’m around ‘coz I kinda know a lot those too.” Jonghyun said as he swung an arm across Kibum’s shoulders and winked at him.

“Pabo! I’m not talking about you! I’m talking about my Taemin baby!!! And get you heavy arm off me!”

“Hyuuuung! I told you not to call me that anymore. “ Taemin whined.

“What? Did we miss something out?” Sulli butted in.

“Since when did you guys—?!” Minho asked as he darted his doe eyes from Taemin and Kibum.

“How could you gave me up for that kid?!” Jonghyun asked as he pointed an accusing finger to Taemin.

“Stop! Stop! STOP!!!” Kibum screamed, and he was successful in stopping his friends, not to mention that the whole cafeteria did ‘stop’ too. When he realized what he did, Kibum made a slight bow with his head to say sorry and sat down again—wait. Since when did he stood up?

“But, Babe~”

“No! you shut up!” and he turned back to the others again. “Just to clear things up, Taemin and I are not having that stupid relationship that you are thinking of, huh.  We are more than friends bu —I told you to shut up, Jjong!— but that is —I said shut up— umma-and-son relationship, ‘kay? Understand? Yes? Okay.”

“Sheesh, Kibum-ssi. You could really be scary at times.” Jinki said when everyone got their breaths back, after holding it in during Kibum’s speech.

“Drop the formalities, Jinki-hyung. We’re not in a student council meeting.” He replied coldly, still annoyed at the previous events.

“Okay.” And Jinki gave his mega-watt smile to melt some scary aura away.

“Wait… if my Babe is your umma… then, I’ll be your appa from now on Taem’.” Jonghyun said after a while.

“Just what on earth are you talking about?!” Kibum hissed. The others felt the ‘scary aura’ enveloping their table again.

“H-hyung. It’s okay. Jonghyun hyung is also takes care of me so it won’t really be a problem.” Taemin said trying to calm Kibum down.

“What?” and there was a collective sigh of relief that could be heard.

“Well, he always helps me with my subjects. Specially math!”

“Eh? He does that?”

“C’mon Babe. Give me some credits here.”

“Neh, umma. So please just calm down. You’re scaring Jinki hyung and Minho hyung.” Taemin said as he patted Kibum’s back, but the last part was said in a very low whisper.

“What did you say?” Kibum asked because he thought he heard something like ‘scaring’ and stuff.

“Nothing. Oh look at the time! Shouldn’t you both be in your class’ practice?”

- - -

“Hey guys listen up!” their class president called their attention. Kibum  turned around from where he was standing, cloth and pins clinging to him as they adjusted his hanbok for the play. They were just a week away from the presentations and all they have to do in that time is to polish everything and tada~

“Well, we —the classroom officers— got an idea that would probably help us have more willpower to win. So they suggested that we could have our class’ Christmas party in the hot spring if we do win this contest. What do you think?” she continued.

There were murmurs and squeals and cheers and the energy seemed to just boost up.

When the presentation day finally came up, their classroom was an utter mess —clothes scattered, make up kits here and there, trash from the props were everywhere. It was like a tornado went into their room.

Kibum took another once over himself at the full- body mirror in front of him which was set upped for the play.

Well, he did look like a pretty girl even without any wig and just his real hair, styled to be like a girl’s. He had the slightest make up, just enough for him not to appear pale and lifeless onstage. Finally, this apple green and red-orange hanbok. He was sure he would really pass for a girl.

He went to his bag on one of the corners of their classroom to put something back. Just then, he felt solid arms slide on his waist —while trapping both of his arms on his side— and pull him closer so that his back was pressed on the other’s toned chest on a back hug.

“I swear to God, Kim Jonghyun, that this kohl  pencil would go through your eyes if you won’t let go.” Kibum said calmly as if it was an everyday thing to give someone a death threat.

“I’m just practicing.” He replied. Kibum could feel the vibration of the other’s throat as he spoke because Jonghyun rested his chin on Kibum’s shoulder.

“And as far as I can remember, there’s no such scene. Now get off.”

“Aww~ I’m talking about real life, not the play.”

“Stop talking nonsense and let go or I’ll scream .”

Jonghyun sighed and loosened his hold on Kibum, but just enough for the younger to be freed. However, he still stood near Kibum while the latter fixed his bag.

“Now what? Why are you still here, huh?” He asked after zipping his bag close.

“You are so mean, Kibummie.” He answered with downcast eyes.

That’s new, he didn’t call me ‘Babe’.Kibum thought. What’s wrong with you, really? He wanted to ask Jonghyun but thought against it afterwards and settled to “What?”

“Oh nothing. You’ll just be annoyed at me again. I won’t want to risk the play. So I think, I’ll just go.” He already turned his back when Kibum realized that he was not playing games now.

“Yah! Just tell me! I don’t want to go onstage feeling guilty, oh?” and he blushed a little, thanks to the layers of make up on his cheeks that it wasn’t too obvious.

“No, don’t be. Bye.” Jonghyun walked a few steps further.

“Promise, I won’t be annoyed.”

“Don’t make promises if you don’t mean them. It’s okay, really.”

WHAT?! URGH! WHAT’S GOT INTO YOU KIM JONGHYUN?! Kibum would have shouted it. But there was just something in Jonghyun that day that made him reach for Jonghyun’s wrist and pull him back in Kibum’s little corner.

“I freaking mean it, so spill.”

“I’m nervous.”

There was just the muffled sound of the chaos in their classroom in their little corner. Then, Kibum chuckled.

“Seriously? Kim Jonghyun, nervous?” which turned out to be a full laugh.

“Aren’t you so mean? I shouldn’t have said that.” Jonghyun turned to leave again but was stopped by the hand on his wrist again.

“Okay, sorry. I was just… you’re the school band’s main vocals and you are nervous now? That’s not like possible.”

“That one is singing. That’s practically my soul performing. And this is a play. Can’t you see?” he asked desperation leaking out on his beautiful voice.

Kibum smiled. How cute. “Then make your soul perform today.”

“It’s not easy just like that. It’s… it’s—“

“Okay, okay. I understand. Close your eyes, I’ll give you something.” Kibum cut him off.

“What is it?” Jonghyun asked, the shine in his eyes slowly going back.

“I told you to close your eyes.”

“But—“

“That or nothing.”

“Closing! There! Closed already, now what?”

“…”

“Bummie-ah~ where are you? You didn’t lea—“

A pair of soft lips shushed him and melted his worries away. It wasn’t a passionate, more likely a peck on the lips; innocent and pure. But still…

- - -

“That was sooooooooooooooo great kids!!! I love you, I LOVE YOU! I LOOOVE YOOOOUUUU!!!!” their adviser said as they had a group hug after they finished the presentation.

“We love you too, seusang-nim~!!!” they responded.

They went around congratulating each other for a job well done. It was not actually perfect and there were adlibs here and there. But all in all, they managed.

Taemin and Sulli managed to seek in, thanks to Amber.

“Oppa! That was so great! If I didn’t know before that you would be playing the role of the wife, I wouldn’t know it was you.” Sulli said as she gave Kibum a hug.

“Hyung! Congrats!”Taemin said over Sulli’s shoulder.

“Thank you.” Kibum replied with a smile. “But it’s nothing much really.”

“Ah, hyung! That scene when Jonghyun hyung gave you the flower. That’s my favorite scene!!!  Who wrote your script?” Taemin asked.

“Oh, that.” And thanks to the layers of make up again that Kibum’s blush didn’t seem to be obvious

“Mister Swallow,” the wife of the rich man called. They were in the back yard watching the ‘Swallow’ play hackey sack.

“What?” asked the ‘Swallow’.

“Would you like to dance?” she asked.

“Should we dance now?”

This was a part of the rich couple’s plan to seduce the ‘Swallow’ and get the magical gourd for themselves. When the rich man saw that the ‘Swallow’ was dancing with his wife he accused the ‘Swallow’ with cheating by dancing with his wife.

Then the rich man pushed and kicked the ‘Swallow’ resulting to a broken leg.

“What do we do?! Is he hurt?!” the wife asked, faking her worry for the ‘Swallow’.

“All I did was touch him! I didn’t know his leg would break!” the rich man said acting like he was innocent.

The wife nursed the ‘Swallow’ and when he was all done, he turned away and threw the flowers to the rich man’s face saying “Eat this and go away!”

“Is he really hurt?” the wife asked once the ‘Swallow’ was gone.

Then the rich man came up to his wife, flowers in hand. “Saranghae.”

At first, the wife was startled. “Oh. Of course, you are the only one for me.” And she went to hug her husband.

“Anyway, we fixed the swallow’s leg and sent him on his way. He’ll comeback to thank us and give the rose.”

Then the curtains fell and the background was changed.

When their scene was over and they were at the backstage, Kibum let out a breath of relief, that was close.

The flowers shouldn’t be there at that moment. Adlibs do come in handy.

 

“Taem, that was an a—“

“Shoot! Here comes seusang-nim! Go out. Now!” Amber said while pushing the two illegal guests towards the door. “You could continue the chit-chat later.” She said once she was back beside Kibum.

The winners were to be announced at the last part of the foundation day, which was two days after their presentation day.

That’s why Kibum, Taemin, Amber and Sulli decided to try out the other stalls that they missed out before on that vacant day. But…

“Aish! Look at those three. They said we would spend the day together, but they left me with nothing to do now. All alone!” Kibum mumbled as he walked around their campus alone looking for something to do. Taemin excused himself because he said he was needed in their class’ booth, Amber was lured by a group of friends to play somewhere and Sulli, it was her shift in their student body responsibilities.

When Kibum reached the second floor, there was this classroom that was turned into a little café, offering different kinds of cakes, lattes and fraps. He went in and sat at the makeshift café tables and chairs. The menu was write on the blackboard with colorful chalks.

He ordered a chocolate cake and a mocha latte to balance the taste. His order came immediately and it gave him a little surprise because of the red cherry that was sitting on the cake. He bowed slightly for a simple thanks and was left alone with his desserts.

Kibum twirled the cherry stalk between his thumb and index finger slowly as he watched the cherry  on the other end pirouette. Then he plucked the cherry from its stem with his mouth and enjoyed the slight tingle on his tongue. He was still enjoying the sensation when someone sat across him. He raised an eyebrow at the person as if asking ‘what?’.

“Just wanna thank you for yesterday.” The person replied.

“That was for our classmates, not only for you.” Kibum replied before sipping from his cup.

“Not the adlibs, the ‘good luck ki—“

“Tastes good right? Why don’t order one for yourself?” Kibum said as he pulled the mini fork out of Jonghyun’s mouth, which now had cake crumbs and icing.

Jonghyun almost chocked on the cake that Kibum fed him. Was Kibum planning on killing him that way or he just didn’t know how to feed other people correctly?

When Jonghyun was able to swallow the piece of cake, he did order his own, chocolate cake and a coffee.

“You could just tell me you wanted a date, Babe.” Jonghyun said.

“Huh! Dream on, dino boy.”

“Hey, it has a cherry. Let’s play.” he suggested, before eating the fruit and waving the stem in Kibum’s face.

“Sure! You can’t beat me.” Kibum replied taking the stalk from the saucer where he placed it earlier.

“We count ‘til three and we begin.”

“Okay.”

“One…”

“Two…”

“Three!”

- - -

a/n: hi guys~ sorry for the little late update... btw, that 'adlib scene' is from Hello Baby...that's not mine~

thank you to all the readers and subscribers :)) you all make me happy~~~~ i'd also would like to hear your thoughts about the story... much much much thanks to every one~ ♥

photo by: *me-inside515 @ deviantart