Part 7: Freeze

Hide and Seek

- - -

Part 7: Freeze

- - -

Kibum woke up with the buzzing of his phone on his nightstand. He reached for it from under the sheets sleepily. It felt like he just closed his eyes and now he was woken up again. He didn’t even bother to open them to check on the caller ID.

“Yeoboseyo?”he said as he rolled over to the other side of his bed lazily.

Wake up sleepy head.”

The voice made Kibum sit up and forget the thought of sleeping in. “J-Jonghyun?”. And did he just stutter there?

The said boy chuckled before talking again. “Your one and only.” It was clear on his voice that he was smiling, and Kibum was shocked that he knew that. “I’ll pick you up at six-fifty.”

“What?”

I’ll just see you later, ‘kay? Bye.” And the line was off. Kibum wanted to argue and tell him that he can go to school by himself, but yes, the line was off. He untangled himself from his comforter and got off his bed. He glanced on his clock and he still had more than an hour to do his morning rituals and such before Jonghyun would arrive.

WAIT!

Did that mean that he, Kim Kibum, was accepting the offer? From what happened last night he should not, but the little Kibums in his mind told him that it’s okay. Plus, they would be going to school, it’s not like they’d be going on a date. There would be many people there and Jonghyun wouldn’t dare.

HE. MUST.NOT.

“Oh, sweetie, you’re up.” He heard his mom say when he entered the dining area, still clad in his PJs, bedroom hair and a gray jacket two sizes big on him.

“A stupid puppy woke me up, and won’t let me go back to sleep.” He replied as he sat on the counter dividing the dining hall from the kitchen, his feet dangling above the tiled floor.

“Mm? Coco went in your room?” his mom asked curiously. She put her coffee mug down and placed the newspaper that she was reading beside it. Then she walked to the kitchen. “Want me to make you pancakes?” she asked again.

“No, it was not Coco. This one is more of a Puppysaur.” He replied as he hopped off the counter. He then retrieved a pack of chocolate chips from the cupboard. “And, yes please. Can I have it with choco chips?” he handed the pack to his mom and gave her a sweet, sweet smile that she couldn’t ever resist.

“Aigoo, my Baby.” and she gave him a hug, but pull away slightly to look at her son again. “Hey, you smell like apples and cinnamons. Did you change perfumes? I like your last more.” With that, they broke the hug and Kibum sniffed himself.

Indeed, he smelled like apples and cinnamons, not his usual sweet marshmallow scent. But the last time that he checked, it was still his perfume, so he replied “Nope, I didn’t switch.”

“Where’s appa?” he asked as he stood behind his mom, watching her cook the first pancake.

“He left early. There was some adjustment on that new site that they were working on.” She replied, shrugging a little.

Kibum just hummed his response. His dad was an engineer and architect and was often out of the house, he was the one who designed their house. When he was younger, his dad made sure to drive him to school and put him to bed, but when he grew up a little older, those times lessened to never. Now, they would just meet occasionally in the house, but he understands it. His dad was just like that. He was inexpressive but Kibum knew that his dad loves them so much.

He walked to the dining table and took his usual spot opposite the chair that his mom had. He watched his mom’s back as she mixed the batter with the choco chips as he requested, before placing another scoop into the frying pan. Kibum smiled, he felt really lucky to have his mom.  ‘Coz even with her tight schedule as a business woman, she would always make Kibum’s breakfast or dinner whenever she had the chance. She once said that this was her way to make up to Kibum for being out on business trips often.

“Hun, what time did you come home last night? ahjuma said you’re still out when your dad and I arrived.” She asked as she flipped a pancake.

“Hmm? Oh! I had a practice. You know, foundation day is coming near.” he replied with a shrug.

“Okay... Here you go.” She placed the plate in front of Kibum and another for herself. “You know what? There was a car that parked near our gate last night after we came. But no one came out, whoever was driving just stayed there. Didn’t see who was inside too.”

“Really? What does it look like? What if they are bad guys and are spying on our neighborhood?!”

“Honey, I think you are watching too much movies.” She reached for Kibum’s hand and patted it lovingly. “I don’t think they are bad guys. From the logo, it’s Porsche. Uhm,  gray? I’m not sure it’s kindda dark and I’m in the house, can’t see clearly.”

Kibum tried to imagine what his mom was saying. When the images clicked in his mind, he choked on his food and went into a coughing fit. His mom stood up and quickly went to his side to pat his back.

“What’s wrong Baby?”

“Nothing mom, it’s just… I aah… where’s ahjuma?”

His mom looked at him suspiciously but answered nonetheless. Kibum ran toward their laundry area at the back on their house. The place was just too perfect for their maid to be at that moment.

“Ahjuma?” he called as he let himself in.

“Oh, it’s our Kibummie. What brought you here?” the woman asked.

But instead of getting an answer, Kibum started stripping.  “Yah! What are you doing?!”

“Uhm… Taking this jacket off?” Kibum asked as he pulled the hoodie off of his head and arms. He handed it to woman and asked her to wash it for him. “Please ahjuma? I really, really need it before I go to school later. Please?”

“Aigoo, aigoo. I’ll do it. Now go back in there and take a bath. Or you’ll be late.”

As soon as she said that, there were sparkles in Kibum’s eyes. “Thanks ahjuma!!!” and he went off again.

“Kibum! You haven’t finished your food yet! And stop running around like you’re a 5 years old!” his mom calledas he passed the dining hall.

 

Kibum stared at the fogged up mirror in his bathroom. Even with his blurred reflection, he was sure that he his cheeks were tinted pink. Was it because of the warm bath? Yes, maybe. But is it also the reason why his heart was beating faster than usual? Who knows? He pouted to himself and turned to look at the mirror again. Oh well...

“Cheer up Kibum! New day ahead!” he said to himself. “You can do this! Fighting!” With that, he reached over the smooth surface and drew a smiley on the mirror.

He went out and grabbed his blower to dry his hair. Then a soft knock was heard. Kibum turned the device off and walked to the door.

“Kibum, hunny, I’m going.” His mom said as she poked her head in and went inside her son’s room.

“Bye mom. Take care. Love you.” After a hug and a kiss on the cheeks Kibum was alone again. He walked back to blow dry his hair again.

Some more minutes passed and he was standing in front of the sliding doors of his closet, which was also a full body mirror. He moved stray strands of his hair and smiled at himself when his hair went the way he wanted it to be. He went over his vanity mirror on his left and debated if he will wear his contacts today or just go with his glasses all day. He puffed his cheeks and grabbed his eyeglasses to perch it on his nose.

He checked his bag before slinging it over his shoulder and adjusting his uniform for the last time. He jogged down the stairs and saw through the staircase windows that it was raining lightly. Kibum made his way back to the laundry area and asked for the jacket.

“It’s in the paper bag on the sofa, Kibummie.” The lady answered him with a smile. With another round of ‘thanks a lot’ and ‘you’re such an angel, ahjuma he went to their living room and got the paper bag.

He was ready to walk out their double doors when he realized that he left his phone in his room. He put his bags down the sofa and sprinted to his room. He saw his phone lying on his bed. He got it and when he tapped the screen, an envelope greeted him.

From: Mr. Puppysaur

Msg: Babe, you ready? I’m on my way now :) don’t forget to wear something warm, it’s cold out. ♥

 

He rolled his eyes on the message but a small smile crept on his pink bow lips. It was sent about ten minutes ago. How long would he take to go here? He has a car so —

Kibum’s thoughts were cut off by the voice of ahjuma calling him downstairs.

“Coming!” he replied as he slipped his phone in his pants pocket.

“Your friend is here to pick you up.” She said when he was on the landing of their wooden staircase.

He glanced up ahead and saw the familiar tuff of brown hair, round puppy-eyes and sinful lips with that stupid smile and Kibum’s own lips formed an ‘o’ when their eyes met.

“Hi.” He said when he reached the foot of the stairs. He was about to walk over to the sofa and get his things but he realized that they were not there anymore.

“I have them here.” Jonghyun said as he held out Kibum’s bags. “Let’s go?”

“Oh. Okay.”

Jonghyun walked towards the doors and Kibum followed after he bid goodbye to ahjuma.

It was a silent walk to the car, Jonghyun was holding an umbrella over both their heads while Kibum’s bag was sling on Jonghyun's shoulder and the paper bag in his free hand. Kibum actually tried to get his things but Jonghyun discreetly moved it away from him. He also insisted to have his own umbrella but Jonghyun said that it would just be a waste to open another and the car is just beyond the gate.

Kibum just got his things when they were finally in their school grounds, Jonghyun placed them in the backseat together with his own bag during the ride. It was also just then that Kibum realized that he had not returned the other’s jacket. So when they stopped in front of their lockers, which were beside each other—thanks to being both Kim’s and being in the same advisory class—Kibum held the paper bag at eye level to Jonghyun.

“Thanks for the ride and for lending me your jacket.” He said trying to sound indifferent, but failing.

“Anything for you.” The other replied as he took the paper bag. He pulled the garment out, the scent of fabric conditioners reached his nose.

“It’s washed. Don’t worry.” Kibum said when he saw Jonghyun’s actions.

“What?” Jonghyun chuckled when he realized what Kibum was thinking. “That’s not it, Babe. Remember, I told you to wear something warm and look at you.” He said emphasizing his words with hand gestures. “You’ll catch a cold if you just walk around with this uniform. Wear this.” And he draped the jacket on Kibum’s shoulders.

“It’s not that chilly, Jonghyun. You can take this back.” Kibum said as he slid the jacket offand handed it back.

Jonghyun glared at him but reached for it anyways. In the process, their hands brushed and Jonghyun felt the cold tips of Kibum’s fingers. Kibum bit his lip and hoped that the other didn’t notice it. He quickly pulled his hand away and closed his locker. He mumbled a short 'bye' then turned to go to their classroom when Jonghyun held his wrist and pulled him to look at his face.

“You are an awful liar, Babe.” Jonghyun said with a smirk. He reached for Kibum’s other hand and held both hands against his cheeks. Kibum tried to pull away to no avail. Plus, to be honest, the warmth radiating from Jonghyun’s cheeks was comforting.

“You shut up!” Kibum said as he tried to withdraw his wrists again but Jonghyun really had his hands locked around Kibum’s wrist.

“Your hands are freakin’ cold! Now wear the jacket…” and in a swift movement, Jonghyun pulled Kibum’s hands over his shoulder and his free hand s on the younger’s waist, pulling him closer and violating a rule called personal space. Kibum stumbled a little at the sudden pull and a high pitched shriek echoed through the hall way. When he regained his footing —not his balance really, because he was kind of leaning on Jonghyun at that— they had a staring contest wherein Kibum tried glaring daggers on Jonghyun but he just replied with that sinful smirk. “…or I’ll kiss you again.”

“Don’t. You. Dare.” Kibum hissed and Jonghyun just tilted his head and continued to smile suggestively.

The girl students passing who saw them were giggling and it was annoying. Kibum was not in the mood for play so he sighed and just rolled his eyes in defeat.

“Okay, you win this time. Now let go.” And he wriggled out of Jonghyun’s arms.

Jonghyun handed him the gray hoodie and watch him put in on.

“There. Happy now?” he asked after slipping both arms into the jacket and fixing his collar.

Jonghyun give him a onceover before reaching out and zipping it midway.“There!” and he smiled brightly.It was his favorite jacket and having Kibum wear it made it his most favorite jacket, ever!

- - -

The lunch hour bell rang a few minutes ago, but Kibum was still in their classroom trapped in pages of scripts. He was really enjoying their practice, save for the annoying acts of a certain someone.

Patience is a virtue... just a little more and it will be over soon. Kibum repeated this in his head as they gave a run down on one of the scenes before finally leaving for lunch.

And as he entered the already packed lunch room he looked for familiar faces of his girlfriends+a boy and found them on a table with two other guys who he didn’t really want to see at the moment.

Just as he was about to walk to them, the now familiar scent of cinnamon and apples mixed with chocolate, almonds and mints seemed to surround him all of a sudden. The next thing he knew, this certain someone had his hand on the small of his back and they were walking together towards the table where his girlfriends+a boy were.

- - -

a/n: aren't i so uch of a liar...telling you guys that i will update soon? Huhuhuhu ;_____;  So sorry I updated just now. I’ll really do my best to update soon again. But i do hope you enjoyed this chapter ^u^

Comments are shamelessly accepted with all my heart. Corrections are appreciated. Questions, please do ask me.

~xoxo~ ♥

i stayed up all night doing some stuff and now i'm having kimchi fried rice and egg rolls for breakfast :DD /sorry that was random xD

 

photo by: Boo-i-cant-draw @ deviantart