Part 18: Matchpoint

Hide and Seek

 

- - -

Part 18: Matchpoint

- - -

 

Kibum never hated Physical Education so much. Until now. It’s not that he didn’t like sports, he sure dislike being sweaty and sticky but who would? Anyways, his problem was the rainbow-colored band aid on his left knee. It stood out against his snow-white skin, not to mention that they would be wearing white shorts too. So when he was the last one to come out of the changing cubicles —which was what he was hoping for— he sneaked to the lockers and kept his uniform there.

“There you are Kibum.” A sweet voice said that startled him.

“Omo! Miss Song!” he blurted out as he held onto his chest to calm his heart down. “What can I do for you?”

“Well, I thought you were absent but your classmates said that you’re here so I came in to check. Plus, we are dividing the class into four groups for the volleyball practicum.” She said as she waited for her student to close his locker.

“I’m sorry for taking long.” He bowed and they walked back into the gym.

“Wait. What happened to your knee?” she asked, eying the colourful band aid. “Can you play?”

“Ah this is nothing. I can play, Miss.” Of course he can. If not for the dance club, he would have been a varsity player in volleyball.

They would be playing in mixed groups but since there were more girls in the class some groups had two boys, others had three. Kibum's group was composed of two boys, including him, and four girls. Two of the girls admitted that they didn’t really know how to play, the other boy knew enough and so does the other girl. And that left…

“I’m a Spiker in our school.”Hyunae said when Kibum looked at her. She got a nod of acknowledgement.

They didn’t have any strategy for the first game since it was just a friendly game.

They played lightly on the first set, mostly observing the opposing team but they still won. But since they have limited class hours, they were just asked to play one set. That meant that whoever won from the other match would be their next opponent.

“Match point—nineteen.” One of their classmates announced. Kibum sighed as he stood up and dusted his shorts. “Game over! Jonghyun's group wins!”

“Okay. So the two of you,” Kibum instructed afterwards, “stay on the sidelines. But if you can at least direct the ball to one of us, do it. Whoever will be positioned near the net after we turn, switch with me, I’ll set. Hyunae, you spike whenever you can. Clear? Kyuhyun-hyung, you serve.”

The game started just like their previous game, just for fun. But somewhere in the middle, it became a little bit more serious than intended.

“MINE!” Victoria, Jonghyun's groupie, shouted when the ball went over their side. It was a simple volley which Kibum's group took advantage of —first touched by Kibum, a set by Gyuri, and smashed by Hyunae.

But it was blocked by Jonghyun who appeared like he was expecting the play, to the almost vacant spot in the center of the opponent’s court.

“!” Kibum hissed as he tried to reach for the ball, digging deep to get it. He managed to save it by a few centimeters above the floor. He knew that his knees would bruise because of the impact. Where were his knee pads when he needed it?

“IN! Eighteen—fifteen!” Kibum stood up with a little difficulty and was helped by Hyunae.

“Are you okay?” she asked as she looked at Kibum’s face, their other group mates crowding to them.

“Yes. Go back to your positions and let’s finish this.” He said as he dusted off his uniform. They were about to return to their positions when their classmate who was acting as the referee blew her whistle.

“Time out!”

From their court, Jonghyun went under the net and jogged to Kibum.

“Sorry about that. Are you okay, Babe?” he said.

“Whatever. Go back to your court.” Kibum replied, pushing past the older, hissing a little when he felt the sting on his left knee again.

Jonghyun walked back to their court, still looking at Kibum, and the game continued. Whenever Jonghyun would get the ball, he would direct it to the farthest person from Kibum.

“Deuce!”

Kibum wiped his forehead with the back of his hand and took a deep breath. Lunch would be next after PE, just a little more.

- - -

He entered the cafeteria and searched for his friend. When he spotted him reading alone in one of the tables, he approached him and covered his eyes when he stayed unnoticed.

“Yah! Kibummie I know it’s you.” He said as he put his hands over the ones covering his eyes, prying them away with the slightest effort.

“Aw, you’re no fun, Dongwoon.” Kibum whined when he sat beside him, pouting.

“You’re still a baby aren’t you? Aigoo, so cute!” and he pinched Kibum’s nose again.

“Urghh! Don’t do that! You think that’s funny?” there was threat in the tone he used.

“But I said you’re cute!” Dongwoon moved away from Kibum, hands in front of him to serve as defense. “Yah! Don’t—!”

Too late. Kibum already had his hands on the other’s cheeks, pinching hard. He just let go when he was sure that the spot would be red enough. And when he did, he was laughing uncontrollably.

“Now, that is what you call cute!” he said afterwards, clutching his stomach from too much laughing. Dongwoon tried to glare at him but it was no use. “Hey, let’s get something. The laughing made me hungry.” Kibum then said as he stood up and pulled Dongwoon by the arm.

- - -

“I thought he would last longer than any other flavor.” A girl whispered to her friend as they were sitting in the reading room, heads huddled together as they eyed a specific dancer in the same room.

“Me too! I even thought that they were going out since the trip to Busan but from what I heard, it was just this Christmas vacation that they were...you know. Then when classes are back they kind of drifted apart?” Her friend replied, shrugging a little as she continued to gaze at the boy from behind the book that she was reading.

“Maybe it’s because of that new girl! Have you seen them together? They are like a ball of sunshine! They look so good together! And she is really nice! I was even able to talk to her yesterday.”

“I agree. And she is a girl to begin with.”

A book was closed and a door was opened afterwards. It just really when people talked about you as if you couldn’t hear them.

- - -

“You’ll gonna spill Coke on the table if you continue to grip that can tighter.” He heard Jinki say as the older male sat across him on their table.

He mumbled a sorry and released the dented aluminum can. He barely touched his burger as he glared daggers to a certain boy across the cafeteria.

“He’s been like that since he learned that Kibum-oppa won’t be joining us for lunch again.” Hyunae said as she dipped her sushi in the soy sauce mixed with the slightest of wasabi.

“And it became worse when he saw him with my classmate on the other table.” Minho added, and then he stuffed a dumpling in his mouth, shaking his head when Jonghyun glared at him.

“What?! I’m just saying that he chose that guy over us! They always eat lunch together for the past week and he don’t even spare a glance at us! Where is the friendship there?!” the boy in question ranted.

“Hyung, it’s not like Kibum-hyung turned his back on us. If that’s the case, then he wouldn’t have texted me that he won’t join us now.” Taemin defended as he played with the ice in his juice.

“You know what? You can invite them to join us here if you want to.” Jinki suggested.

Jonghyun scoffed. “If he doesn’t want to join us then let him be. I also don’t want to eat with him.”

“You’re not even eating because you are busy glaring at their table.” Hyunae pointed out.

“I won’t let you drive.” He replied.

“Hey! That’s unfair!”

- - -

“You’re still here?”

“Nope. I’m an apparition of Son Dongwoon.” He said as he stood up from his place on the floor. Kibum rolled his eyes but was not able to stop the chuckle bubbling in his throat.

“Thanks for waiting up for me.” He said as they made their way through the hallway.

“Who said I was waiting for you? I was just reading this book, then you came when I was done and was about to go home.”

“Aish! You, you, you—!!!” he begun hitting the other male on the arms. But that didn’t cause any harm, instead, Dongwoon begun to laugh. He caught Kibum’s hands and smiled at him.

“I was just kidding, okay? Why are you so sensitive?” it was his turn to poke the younger on his side.

“Whatever. Walk home by yourself.” Kibum stomped like a five-year old away.

“Aigoo, aigoo~ Baby Kibummie is mad now~” Dongwoon cooed as he ran after Kibum and stopped in front of him, effectively blocking his way. “Okay, I’ll buy you ice cream as peace offering.”

“You think I’ll be happy with an ice cream? I’m not a kid.”

“Then I’ll just get one for myself.” And the older of the two turned his back and started walking.

“Yaaaah! I was just joking!!!” Kibum called as he caught up with the other, linking their arms when they were walking side by side. “I want strawberry.”

“Meh~ the offer is void already.” He answered trying to shake the younger off.

Kibum whined. “Please please~?”

“Aish! You’re really a baby, Kibummie! Okay, I’ll buy you a strawberry ice cream.”

“Yaaay~ Let’s go, let’s go!” he laced his fingers with Dongwoon’s and they made their way to the ice cream shop, hand in hand, swinging it with every step that they took like they were elementary students.

- - -

Why are you so hyper tonight?

“Dongwoon bought me a strawberry cone after class.” He replied, smiling broadly at the web cam of his laptop.

You seemed to be spending more time with that kid these past weeks. Where’s dino boy?

“He’s busy. Oh! It’s February next week; do you have a boyfriend there already?”

Kim Kibum, how many ice cream cones did you get to have your brain cells frozen?! I have no plans of having one any time soon! They will just give me headaches! Urgh!

Kibum laughed, he really missed having Amber around. But he was not that down anymore, he had someone to talk to again.

- - -

a/n: Really sorry for taking too long to post something. I was really about to post this since last last week but my internet/wi-fi connection can't open the page properly. it was like raw HTMLs. ewee.

anyways, there you have it. more DongKey. ehehe. comments? suggestions? violent reactions? corrections? please do post them. i'd love to hear it from you ^^

♥ miiin

photo by: sulax4499 @deviantart

 

OH! and i almost forgot! To that person who is way too beautiful most of the time to be called huma, to that person who can rock on the dance floor, to that person who can cook oh-so well, to that person who has a really lovely and unique voice, to that person who has talent in arts, to that person who can carry out any hairstyle, to that person who walks like a runway model all the time, to that person who holds the key of a certain dino's heart, to that person who has the body and the , to that person who i love so much, to that person who is was celebrating his birthday today yesterday, belated HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIBUMMIE~ ♥♥♥ Stay awesome and breathtaking forever ;))

ehehe~ isn't he cute?
credits to the owner :D