Part 10: Five more minutes

Hide and Seek

- - -

Part 10: Five more minutes

- - -

“I thought you said four pm, sharp?”  Jonghyun asked as he held the door open for Kibum.

“I had to do some other things you know.” He replied, stepping out of the car.

They were going to the grocery store to buy the ‘munchies’ that they would bring for the flight. Although it won’t be more than an hour, Kibum couldn’t do without those and he was not sure if the brand of his favorite munchies were available in that place. They didn’t take too long to buy everything that they want so they decided to walk around the mall first.

Then, they passed on a group of people eying a grand piano on the center of the mall atrium. Jonghyun pulled Kibum to that direction and asked if he could play the piano. He played the same song again, but he didn’t sing, much to Kibum’s dismay.

When he was done, there were more people who were watching him and they all applauded. He gave a bow and walked back to Kibum.

“Show off.” Kibum said as they walked. Jonghyun laughed.

“I can feel someone is jealous~” and he poked Kibum on his side.

“S-stop—!” Kibum swatted his hands away trying not to shriek as Jonghyun tickled him. Then he saw a glimpse of a familiar smiling face. “Wait. Isn’t that Taemin?” he asked pointing on the direction of the cinema.

Jonghyun followed the direction with his eyes and saw Taemin with his band mate. “He’s with Minho, don’t worry.”

“He’s with Minho.”

“You’re thinking too much. Let’s just eat, I’m hungry.” And he pulled Kibum in a Japanese restaurant.

They had their dinner there since they didn’t notice about the time when they were ‘walking around’. Kibum kept on putting vegetables on Jonghyun’s plate and Jonghyun kept on putting meat on Kibum’s.

“You’re making me fat.” And Kibum put the meat on Jonghyun’s plate.

“Eh? You look like you’re underweight. Go eat that.” He reasoned out while pointing his chopsticks to Kibum.

Kibum pursed his lips and slapped Jonghyun’s arm from across the table. “It’s rude pointing at people. And I’m not underweight!”

“Ouch! Sorry, I won’t do that again.” he said as he rubbed on the sore spot. “Just eat this last one, please.”

“Why don’t you eat it? I’m giving it to you.”

“I gave it to you first so you should accept it. Or do you want me to feed you?”

“What? No way!” Kibum said and he sipped on his red ice tea.

“Aigoo, aigoo! Someone’s in denial now.” Jonghyun teased.

“Okay I’ll just eat it.” But before he got his chopsticks to take it, Jonghyun did it already.

“Aaaaaah~”

Kibum glared at Jonghyun for his childish acts.

“I can do it myself, thank you. Give that to me.” He tried.

“Nope. Say aaaah~”

Kibum sighed, what a stubborn child, he said to himself. He gave Jonghyun another glare which was returned with a smile. Then he opened his mouth slightly. Jonghyun took it as a sign that he won so he leaned across the table, one hand with the chopsticks and the other cupped beneath Kibum’s chin in case something drop.

“There. Happy?” he asked once he swallowed the food.

Very.” And the smile that he received from Jonghyun was just glorious. Unconsciously, Kibum blushed. He gave his drink a last sip and gathered his things.

“Let’s go? We still have to wake up early tomorrow.” He said as he stood up.

Jonghyun dropped Kibum home that night again and promised to get him the next day at two-thirty a.m.

- - -

Kibum had his bags ready on their living room before he went to upstairs. He made sure that everything that he needs was all in there and he would just pick them up in the morning.

“What time should you be in the airport?” his dad asked when they were watching a DVD in their entertainment room. It was one of the rare chances that his whole family was having quality time together.

“At least three a.m.” He answered.

“Do you need me to take you there?”

“My friend will fetch me. But thanks dad.” He replied smiling.

“Do I know this friend?” it was his mom who asked.

“Maybe. He’s the son of Hospital Director Kim.”

“Oh~! That fine young man with a beautiful voice?”

Kibum almost chocked on his orange juice. He calmed himself before his parents could notice. Then he nodded at his mom.

“You tell him tomorrow that I said hi, okay? I really like that boy.” She added dreamily like any normal mother would do. “But don’t be jealous, hunny. You will always be my baby, ‘kay?”

“Of course.”

After a while, Kibum bid good night to his parents even if the movie was not yet done. He also wanted to give them some time alone.

He went to his room and set his alarm at two a.m. He decided to just have his breakfast in the airport than to wake up very early before Jonghyun came. When his alarm went off, he went straight to the bathroom and got a quick shower.

Not long after he was dressed, his phone rung on his bed indicating a call.

I’m outside your house now. Could you please open the gates for me?” Jonghyun said from the other line.

“Just a minute. I’m already done.” He ended the call and went downstairs to open the gate.

Soon they were on their way to their way to the airport.

“Have you eaten?” Jonghyun asked as he pushed a trolley with their bags on.

“Not yet.” He answered.

“Want to grab something before we check in?”

“No thanks. They’ll serve something later.”

Some of their classmates were there already and were all excited but somehow, sleepy. When they boarded in, Kibum and Jonghyun learned that they sit together.

“Want to sit by the window?” Jonghyun asked, offering his seat.

“Really?” Kibum asked, eyes shining.

“Sure, why not.” He replied, shrugging.

The flight was delayed for some more minutes because of another plane that had to do an emergency landing. The breakfast was served once the plane stabled after taking off.

After a while Kibum started yawning and his eyes fluttered close. His head lolled and he opened his eyes and sat back up. And repeat.

Jonghyun watched it all and had to stop himself from laughing at how cute Kibum was. When Kibum’s eyes closed again, he pulled Kibum’s head lightly and made him sleep on his shoulder. Soon after, Jonghyun fell asleep, leaning on Kibum.*

A light tap on his shoulder woke Jonghyun up. It was their adviser.

“Go wake your wife up, we’re landing in a few.” He said before waking the others.

- - -

“Uwaaaaah~ Finally We’re here!”

The chilly breeze greeted class 3-B once they were out the bus that dropped them to the hot spring resort in the hidden corners in Busan. There were two native Korean houses; the bigger one has indoor hot springs and other activity areas, the other one was the pension house where the rooms were located.

Boys were to occupy the second floor and the girls were on the third floor. Every room had a bunk bed, a small bathroom and a two-door closet. They were split into pairs and yes, you got it right they get to share a room.

After putting their things in their room, they all decided to decorate the lounging area and have their Christmas party later.

- - -

“Dare… I waaaant dare!” Kibum slurred on his words as the tip of the green bottle pointed on him for the fifth time that night. He was sitting Indian style on the floor, his shoulders slumped, head bowing slightly.

Some of their classmates giggled at Kibum’s speech, they were all blushing heavily because of the soju in their system.

“Yah, Jonghyun! Take care of your wife, huh?!” one of them said which resulted to more laughter.

“Hey, I think you already had enough soju for tonight, Babe. Let’s go to bed.” Jonghyun said as he shifted on his seat beside Kibum to pick the other up from his slumped position.

They were playing truth or dare with some of their classmates. It’s your typical ‘spin-the-bottle’ game, aside from the twist that every point of the bottle was equal to a shot of soju —plain soju, no mix, no lemon, no tea, no nothing. If you wouldn’t do a dare or tell the truth, five shots for you. Some of them were already down and out because of rejecting a dare. As for Kibum, his luck was just low that the bottle pointed at him three consecutive times, and he had his limits on alcohol. Amber was playing with the group but she was already dragged to their bedroom by her roommate because she said she didn’t want a grumpy roommate in the morning.

“Nooo, nooo! Jjoooongiiiie! I want my daaaaaaaare!!!” he squirmed when Jonghyun tried to pull him up.

“Okay, I dare you to sleep now.” Jonghyun said as he tried pulling Kibum up again.

“Soooo lame! I don’t waaan thaaaat!” and he slapped Jonghyun’s hand.

“Kids! It’s late. Bedroom.  Now.” Their professor commanded as he went in the lounging area of the pension house. He was not shocked when he saw the empty bottles and half sleeping bodies. They asked permission, plus, it’s their Christmas party anyways. “C’mon, wake up.” he said as he went in further, nudging some students awake. “Aish, kids today… can’t handle their alcohol anymore.”

“C’mon Bummie. Seusang-nim said we should sleep now.” Scooping Kibum up and carrying him bridal style. The younger protested, flailing his slender legs. Jonghyun had to tighten his hold on him; their professor had to steady him too. Kibum stopped flailing and just rested his head on Jonghyun’s chest, it seemed like he had fallen asleep with the rhythmic beat of Jonghyun’s heart.

“I’m impressed at you Jonghyun. I can see that you can control yourself better than the others.” He noted as he just saw a slight tint of redness on his student’s cheeks.

If he wasn’t carrying Kibum, their teacher thought, Jonghyun would have scratched the back of his head while looking down. But since both of his hands were occupied, he was just replied with a smile.

“Go to your room now. I’ll take care of this mess here.” The professor smiled as he shooed him away.

When he was out the sliding doors, Jonghyun could hear their professor muttering about the kids these days and groans of his classmates as Mr. Kim wake them up.

Their shared bedroom was at the end of the hallway on the second floor, climbing up the stair while carrying Kibum was not easy. Although, Jonghyun would say that Kibum was light for a boy. He noted to himself to feed the younger more during their stay there.

He laid Kibum on the lower bunk even if the younger already claimed the upper when they put their things in the room. Then he placed the pink duvet on the sleeping beauty. He went in the bathroom to shower and brush his teeth. After a few minutes, he opened the door and poked his head in the bedroom to check on Kibum, he was still half with just his sweatpants on and the toothbrush still in his mouth. He smiled when he saw the younger sleeping peacefully.

When he was done, he walked to the bunk beds. He was sure as hell that the diva would throw a fit if he learned that he didn’t even changed clothes before sleeping so he tried to wake him up.

“Bummie,” Jonghyun whispered as if he was asking a little child to wake up. “Hey sleepy head, wake up.” He moved Kibum’s bangs away from his face.

Kibum grunted, scrunching his face slightly. Jonghyun found it cute.

“Babe, you have to change your clothes.” He tried again. “If you won’t wake up, I’ll do it for you.”

But there was no answer so Jonghyun went to Kibum’s side of the dresser and pulled out fresh clothes —gray sweatpants and yellow shirt with SpongeBob print on it. He was not really sure on what to do since it would be his first time to tend to a drunken friend.

 He went into the bathroom again and got a damp towel to at least wipe the stickiness away. He tried waking Kibum again but he remained sleeping like the dead. With that, Jonghyun pulled Kibum’s shirt up and quickly replaced it with the SpongeBob shirt.

Exhale.

Who would have thought that it would be so hard to help a friend change clothes? How could it require too much self-control?

“Bummie, c’mon, wake-up and change your pants.” Jonghyun said almost whining.

Silence.

Jonghyun fought the urge to grab Kibum’s shoulders and shake him awake. Kibum wouldn’t like that. He had to do it.

 

 

The winter breeze never felt good against Jonghyun’s skin until that night that he was standing by the fire escape. It helped to calm his nerves and relax his muscles.

He stood there for some more minutes staring at the covered surroundings. When he was sure that he was back to his senses, he closed the door and went back to their room. The warmth was suddenly inviting.

He shrugged of his jacket and left just a black wifebeater on. He sat on the side of the bed and checked on Kibum. He remembered that night when Kibum fell asleep on his car. Kibum still looked angelic like before. Jonghyun went to brush the hair out of his face like before, and then caressed his cheeks like what Jonghyun ever wanted to do. He stayed there to admire Kibum a little bit more. Kibum shifted to his side and was facing Jonghyun.

He was about to stand and get some rest for himself when a soft hand held on his forearm and tugged lightly. He looked at Kibum’s face expecting the younger to be awake, but he was still in deep slumber. Jonghyun assumed that he was just dreaming. He gently removed Kibum’s light grasp but Kibum mumbled something in his sleep.

“Don’t… go…”

Jonghyun sat on the bed again, observing. When he thought that Kibum was asleep again, he stood up and Kibum still held on his hand.

“… Stay…” he mumbled again, pulling Jonghyun to the bed. His voice was a little pained and pleading.

Jonghyun lay beside Kibum and gently caressed Kibum’s hair. Maybe Kibum had too much soju that’s why he was having weird dreams, but dreams were always weird. He hummed the tune again until sleep enveloped him.

- - -

It was a rather cold morning for a sunny day as the rays from the sun peeked through the spaces of curtains in the room. Kibum shifted slightly and cuddled closer to the source of warmth beside him. He draped an arm on it then it also shifted a little and pulled Kibum closer.

Kibum was almost back to dreamland, leaning in the warmth and the even breathing and rhythmic heartbeat seemed to soothe him to sleep. Almost.

It dawned to him that it was not an it, it was a him, a he, a human being beside him. He sat up quickly and looked at the person beside him.

“What are you doing here Jonghyun?!” he almost yelled.

Said boy's eyes fluttered open and pouted at him, he then shifted to lie on his back. “Five more minutes, Babe.” He whined as he rubbed his eyes cutely.

Kibum had to shake his head lightly to clear it. He didn’t just say that Jonghyun was cute, right? Maybe his mind was still clouded with sleep. No, maybe he was just dreaming.

“I asked you what are you doing here?” he tried again but instead of getting a coherent answer he found himself being pulled into a hug. His head was on Jonghyun’s shoulder and his arms were squeezed between his and Jonghyun’s chest. He could feel strong arms cradling him and Jonghyun’s right cheek resting on his head.

“Just sleep, it’s too early.” Jonghyun mumbled sleepily and soon his breath evened again indicating that he was asleep.

Kibum didn’t want to sleep again, well not in that position. But a part of his brain was saying that it was okay… that it was actually perfect. His eyelids felt heavy, he tired to fight it but sleep took over after a while and he slept breathing in the 'candy-shop-scent' that he liked.

- - -

a/n: hey everyone~  well, tbh, the previous chapter and this one should just be one whole chapter...but because i am vain just like that... i decided to split it in two so i can put the soju picture.lololol

as always, thank you to all READERS and SUBSCRIBERS :)) you guys make me happy all the time ^^ many many thanks to the COMMENTS too ^^ big hugs from me to all of you guys~~~ ♥ ♥ ♥

photo by: EvaLuAnn @ deviantart