From a Nightmare

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

§listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJS32n6LNQ    

 

       “Jaejoong,” I whispered as he leaned down to kiss me. I didn’t freeze or turn rigid this time. I found myself kissing him back, and wildly. I was surprised to myself. I was becoming liquid, and my heart fluttered outrageously. I was losing my control as I knotted my hands to his smooth brown hair. I clutched to him tighter until I couldn’t breathe.

               Instantaneously he turned unresponsive, his hands frozen at my waist. I pulled back promptly. He was looking at me with the frustrated way he looked at the party. I blushed, embarrassed.

           He moved away swiftly, still looking at me. I could feel my expression a mix of confusion and disappointment. Then an obscure girl danced around him taking his hand. He looked at her then smiled crookedly. The girl glances at me as if I couldn’t make up to her satisfaction to be envious of.

               I called to Jaejoong, but he didn’t turn back to look, they walked away in a vague haze, almost vanishing like thin air. I tried to call again, and then felt tears running down my cheek.

              I woke up with a start, sitting straight up in my bed while my alarm clock was screaming seven am. I was gasping as if I’ve been running a mile, sweat bedding my forehead. I touched my cheek and felt real tears in them. That was only a dream So Eun, only a dream, I reminded myself while lightly spanking my face. I switched off the alarm. I got off my bed ineptly to take morning shower.

           I was already dressed up for school when I got down, Dad serving breakfast. It dish up Grilled Short Ribs (Galbi), Spicy Seafood Salad, Bean Sprout Rice (Kongnamul Bab), Spicy Stewed Fish, Cold Cucumber Soup (Oi Naengguk), Seasoned Kelp, and Radish Strip Kimchi (Moo Saengchae). The traditional Korean breakfast, I considered.

               “Dad what’s up with breakfast? You seem vigorous to cook.” I said sarcastically.

              “Well, today you have an exam. So I really think you should fuel up kid.” He said quite embarrassed. My dad is a man of a few words, although he’s my best friend in a way, he doesn’t like saying what he feels in terms.

               I wasn’t really hungry since the dream it hasn’t got off my shoulder, yet I still force myself to eat more than usual, seeing my Dad cook a specialty means it’s a gesture. Dad goes off to work at nine since his class starts at ten so I didn’t linger any longer. I bid him good bye after brushing my teeth then rode my bicycle to school, only a few kilometers from home.

           As much as possible, I was keeping my mind off Jaejoong, try as I might yet I failed. I reached school a little early. Seoul Elite High has about the size of White House in America, excluding the ground incentives, and the students are driven there by prestigious cars or even a limo, being opened by the schools’ bell boys or their own chauffer. I parked my bike at the nearest curb of the wide parking lot then locked it with my blue chain padlock, in this school, there’s only about three to five students using bike as their transportation. This doesn’t bother me since I’m used to it, my father stopped driving me to school from the very start of high school, and this was an option I greatly insisted. My father drives like a clown lunatic, greeting people along the way to school, especially when the windows are rolled down. I stuffed the key inside my bag pack. I took a deep breath and sigh. Jaejoong has completely deleted last night from his mind, I might as well do the same.

 

§Seoul Elite High http://www.solarnavigator.net/sport/sport_images/Rugby_School_England.jpg

 

           I dragged myself up Seoul Elite High’s massive bricked stairs then entered the glass revolving doors. I was looking down at the floor when everybody screamed then run towards me. I looked up and saw the crowd striking at me. I searched my back, thinking a handsome elite student from school has entered without a body guard, or conspicuously looking good today. But there was no person behind me, and the crowd could only be striking no other than I.

          I ran off swiftly, wondering what’s wrong with me today for a crowd to scavenge me. I’m extremely sure I look the same; I don’t even wear any stylish accessory or any make-up. I double take my look while running, my clothes flatly ironed, nothing unusual. I stumbled across the lockers while everyone was screaming my name. I reached my locker hastily, placing my bag and gathering my books while my heart was speeding. I closed it then stammered as I see a red poster plastered of me and Jaejoong kissing entitled “Seven Minutes in Heaven’s Couple”.  My eyes widened with shock. I peeked around and found the entire locker hall plastered with our posters.

        There were posters everywhere.  My knees begin to wobble as my face blushed red hot with anger. Who could be responsible for this? Who could have done it? Of coarse someone could, a Jaejoong diehard no doubt. The crowd reached me then.

               “Are you Jaejoong’s new girlfriend?” I was about to respond but then,

               “Wow, you’re so cute.” I opened my mouth, then,

               “You look good together.”

                “What does it feel like kissing Jaejoong?”

               “Okay everybody get off.” I heard Jessica commanded, and she made her way from the fans crowd. Mina was with her and they braced me away from my now fans. When we walked off to a turn, the crowd stopped following me.

               “Who took a picture of me and Jaejoong?” I demanded Jess.

            “A peeping tom, sorry about that, but I forgot to say that the maid’s quarter has a mouse hole by the door. I never thought that you are the hot pick” Jess said.

              “Relax So Eun, this will all be over in a week.” Mina said.

             “A week,” the furrow on my eyes deepened. “I couldn’t even get over with Jaejoong’s kiss. And that was my first kiss for the record.” I exclaimed, taking a deep breath after. I closed my eyes as I pinch the bridge of my nose to calm myself. This is the first time in my life to have hysterics.

             “But you look good together, for another record.” Mina joked kiddingly.

           “And the kiss could be a perfect display picture for Facebook. So was Jaejoong a good kisser?” Jess added. My eyes flew open. We are near the stairs now.

             “Oh please Jess—“ someone cut me off.

           “So it’s Jaejoong’s new girl.” I glance to see the Junior Plastics standing a few meters from us. It was Dara, their leader who spoke up.

              I was about to object when Mina spoke ahead of me.

             “It’s none of your business juniors.” The three girls, Tiffany, Dara and Sunny were poised in Power Puff girls’ posture.

            “Oh, it’s our business when it’s Jaejoong’s. We don’t plan to be rude but we honor So Eun to lead our club now that she’s the school’s queen.” Sunny said, making a peace sign.

             “Thanks, but no thank you.” I smiled at them warmly, Sunny pouted.

             “You want a drink So Eun? I could serve you a coke if you want?” Tiffany spoke dearly.

           These are the Junior Plastics, plastics or deceivers because they cling on to the popular students in school, and seeing them being nice to me surprised me, when they use to ignore me at times. But their reputation is not dumb enough for me to believe their sudden kindness, they gossip like frenzy.

              “No thank you, we still have classes. I think you could go back to your room now.” I said politely.

              “Okay, Queen So Eun.” They said in jolly unison, but eyed Mina before stalking off.

               We went up the marbled stairs chuckling. “Sometimes learn to be rude So Eun.” Mina said derisively.

               We reached our room not having any more fans. But there are still an inevitable glances and double takes, more gawking. Mina and Jess seem to enjoy the attention I now unwillingly receive. We entered our room and I proceed to my sit, avoiding the urge to look around the room. Mina and Jess sat at the back of the room. I settled my books in my desk, the front row while standing.

               “Hey So Eun,” I heard Yoona called. Not again.

               I turned around to see Jaejoong behind me meeting my eyes, in his customary chair; I wasn’t ready to see him yet. It stole my breath. I glance up at Yoona with my lashes, in periphery view, Jaejoong turned stiff in his seat. Sitting there nonchalantly while listening to his iPod, he still looks superior to everyone else.  My classmates all stopped from their conversation and stood up to walk towards me as Yoona led them. Jaejoong pulled out his ear plugs. They encircled me and Jaejoong. I quickly looked at Mina and Jess, hoping to find escape, but they seem to enjoy it too, while sitting comfortably at their seat.

              “Hi, Yoona” I paused. “…and everyone.” I said uncertainly, blushing.

              “So it’s you and Jaejoong huh?” She asked in a manner awaiting something to gossip about.

             “Are you now couples? I never thought you would give in, especially to dangerous Jae.” Kyu Hyun asked from behind her. They gushed. How come he’s asking me this when he was the one who threw me off with Jaejoong?

            “N—" Jaejoong cut me off. I looked at him as he stood up. He met my eyes, which sent chills around me. He placed his hand around my shoulder. I shuddered lightly.

              “Yes, we are.” I opened my mouth to decline but Jaejoong pinched my arm. I winced but he ignored. “I want to tell you all that I, Kim Jaejoong and she, Kim So Eun are madly in love with each other. She’s now my girlfriend.”

            Everybody gushed loudly; I saw Mina and Jess wide eyed. My mouth was hanging wide open, I was utterly dazed. My classmates congratulated me and said some things I could no longer hear while they all spoke differently together, I tried to smile to suppress my anger. Jaejoong tap my shoulder lightly, I turned to look at him trying to look angry, fiercely. He laughed when he saw my expression, covering his mouth. The sound of it was playful and velvet soft.

               Mr. Han entered the room silencing us. We all went back to our seats; Jaejoong took off his hand around me. I looked at him angrily, he hold back a chuckle, showing off his hidden dimple. I didn’t turn to look at him again. The subject History and Physics passed, and then came Trigonometry, we all took our exam.

              In the corner of my eyes, my classmates were scratching their head, proven: none of them dared to review. I answered it briefly. Soon my Dad collected the test papers, and then the bell rang for lunch.

             I stood up to get my books. I searched Jaejoong in his seat, but he was already behind me, walking benevolently. I grabbed his hand to drag him out. My classmates gawking at us but I disregard them. Once we were out, I turned to look at him. He was looking at my hand in his arm, smiling in a dangerous charm. I let my hand instantly fall.

                “What’s your problem?” I demanded building up the courage to sidetrack his beautiful smile.

                 “You look cute when you try to be mad. Almost like a cub trying to be a lion.” He mocked wickedly.

                 “You’re not answering my question.”

                 “I just saved you from shame.”

            “You’re not saving me, you’re making it worse. You’re not my boyfriend. Why don’t you just say it’s not true then let the rumors die?”

                “I’m not your boyfriend, but I’m your first kiss.” He chuckled irresistibly. His eyes were seeing unto mine, melting bronze, I held my breath, perplexed by how he knew. Shortly, my mind was floating.

               “I guess I won. I’m thankful for whoever made the posters.” He said smoothly, compellingly. “Why don’t you try to breathe? You’ve been holding your breath ever since I kissed you.” Then he turned to walk away, smiling enchantingly.    

              “Utterly handsome maniac,” I muttered to myself. Mina and Jess found me afterward, we headed for the enormous elegant cafeteria.

              “I can’t believe he said that officially.” Mina started

              “So do me, meaning he likes you So Eun.” Jess said, winking at me.

              “No way, he’s a playboy.” I snapped.

          “A playboy could turn real good when he admit his love to the world.” Jess said, I let the argument drop, not wanting to discuss further.

             At lunch, people have mixed emotions toward me. Some congratulated me but I was so dazed from how many they were that I could only nod, some were mad and jealous, and some were overly hovering how plain I could possibly look compared to Jaejoong.

              I could just decline the rumor false, but when I did try, they didn’t believe me. The posters are everywhere, being handed to everyone, even teachers. That’s solid evidence that no one would believe any explanation from me.  And Jaejoong has announced it, which cares what I think.

             I didn’t like the attention, it was suffocating. I wonder if Jaejoong feels like this ever since he was a heartthrob. I think he has expected this starting from kindergarten. I looked around the cafeteria, he was not around, I took a deep breath.

             School ended like typical days except for the fans I had unnecessarily built. I remain on ignoring Jaejoong, but doubted what could be heading us from this. I held in reserve the little dignity I have left. When the final bell rang, I smiled to myself. At least tomorrow is a Saturday; nothing could go wrong with weekends.

               I went down for my locker, placed my books inside then took my bag. Jess has swimming lessons. Mina was fetched by her limo early. I shut close my locker and was stunned to see Jaejoong leaning beside it. He was directly staring at me with penetrating eyes, smoldering bronze. He smiled when he saw my reaction.

               “What are you, a vampire or something? You scared me.” His smile disappeared, which made me quite sad.

               “Go out on a date with me tomorrow,”

               “What?”

          “You heard me. A date at Ipanema, I’ll pick you up at eleven am.” He’s face was absolutely serious, not blinking or humoring.

                “Wait,”

         “If you don’t go I’ll fire your dad. I have enough connections to know your address and your number.” He threatened. That took me off guard. He looked away then sauntered out indifferently.

          He can’t be serious

angel