Night Before Ball

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

 

Two weeks had passed in a fleeting but were considered the best days in my life. The basketball practice extended since the big game was rescheduled for another week. I still only got to be with Jaejoong before and after school and in every music class—which he was getting excellently better at. His grades were all coming up in disbelieving progress.

Sometimes I watch him during basketball practice. He wasn’t the tallest but he was the best and quickest point guard. In fact, he was the best captain ball that the Seoul Elite High has ever had according to Mina.

            His fans were the most wildest and outrageous fans I’ve ever witnessed. Most of them were girls and Jae was right, they actually throw themselves to him in frenzied adoration. It doesn’t bother me before but when you actually get to see them, I felt an annoyance and territorial feeling. And when they see Jaejoong run for me across the court after practice and throw his arms around me to lift me, they whine in envy or squeak in fake adoration. I smile to myself privately.

            During lunch times when Jess and Mina ditches consecutive classes just to see Yuchun and Junho that they are both dating, Siwon eats with me in the lunch table. This doesn’t anger Jaejoong anymore but he hasn’t said if he particularly likes Siwon. Thus Siwon always keep an imaginary border whenever Jaejoong’s around, which doesn’t happen often. I was being very careful not to let the two cross each.

            “Although I don’t say that I like him or I don’t, I’m still jealous.” Jae said once when he drove me home.

            “Why are you mad?” I asked while watching his face silently while the rain thuds against the roof.

            “I’m not mad. I said I am jealous, because he gets to spend more time with you than I do.”

            “He’s just an old friend.” I tried to persuade though he was not entirely convinced.

            The weekends were the greatest because Jaejoong comes at my house to learn the music in our old tramped up piano. My father really likes him around. They watch ESPN together in cable while I make them my special Hoddeok.

            Just a few days before the big game and the Tuesday night before the graduation ball, Jess and Mina lingered in my room with Vogue magazines in hand.

            “I really want to look like Yoon Seung Ah for the ball!” Mina exclaimed as she pointed to us Seung Ah’s edgy makeup. I had to agree with her, those makeups are pretty but it seems pricey— for me anyway.

             “I could do those touches to you Mina,” Jess said as she browsed her magazine.

            Having the two tall slender girls inside my room makes my room smaller. They were both laid across my floor while I was sitting on my bedroom watching them. I quit browsing the magazine they brought to me a while ago. I’ll never look presentable with or without makeup.

            “Like you could do better!” Mina squeaked then they both started aiming for each other with my pillows. They look childish but I might have joined them if I was in the mood.

            “Eun why are you so gloomy?” Jess observed me after they settled down.

            I sigh. “I have no dress yet.” I finally said. I was avoiding this but I guess it showed to my face, I’ve been worried about it all evening.

            “What!” They both exclaimed.

            I nodded.

            “All this time you haven’t told us?” Mina used her most dramatic high pitched I-know-it-all voice.

            I nodded again. “I thought I might have one in my closet. But it turned out they all need garment replacements.”

            They were both silent but was staring at me with wide eyes. They look like tall puppies with wagging tails behind them.

            “That’s okay I don’t plan to go there anyway.” I lied to them. I really want to go but then I don’t want to ask money from Dad just for a one night dress, and sadly I used my funds for a school project.

 They didn’t believe me. “No way, you are going whether you like it or not.” Jess snapped.

            “But I can’t afford for a dress right now, and I don’t want to ask my father. He’s been saving for my college funds remember?” I hugged my knees up to my chin. I hate sounding like I’m begging for help from Superman.

            Jess and Mina exchanged a glance before Mina said. “Then what are friends for?”

            “Yeah, we’re here Eun. We’ll do shopping for you and you don’t have to repay us like how you always do. We’ve been friends for years! And you deserve this ball.” Jess said.

            “No! No way! It’s really nothing to be serious about.” I stood up.

            But it was too late; Mina and Jess were both excitedly planning for a last minute shopping. They stood up too and took my arms and led me out the door. Jess took out her phone from her pocket and called somebody.

            “This is Jessica Jung,” Jess said sweetly. “Are you closing now? Well could you wait for me? We’ll be doing last minute shopping and oh, please evacuate everyone if there are still people.” Then she hung up.

            Mina giggled. Well that’s how both of them do their extravagant shopping. I let out a loud distressed sigh but they only ignored me. My father was sitting at the sofa while watching news in TV he looked at us for a second but steal a look back again.

            “Are you guys going out? It’s already seven pm?” His face was gruff like how he always looks in front the TV.

            “Mr. Kim Yong-min we’re only doing last minute shopping for the graduation ball tomorrow.” Mina said innocently with wide eyes.

            “Oh, I thought you have a dress already Eun?”

            Mina and Jess shot me guilty looks. I swallowed. “Well, I don’t really have one presentable Dad.” My face was turning crimson.

            Dad hunts through his pocket and took out his wallet.

            “Oh Mr. Kim, it’s up to us.” Jess stopped him from handing out cash. My father looked puzzled.

            Jess and Mina only smiled and continued to drag me out.

            “Well then, don’t be out late!” Dad called out.

            Mina pushed me inside her Ferrari at the backseat while they both took the front and sped away downtown. They took me to a French designer’s boutique which was wide and brightly opened just for us as Jess had commanded.

            We entered the boutique and the two made their mission in browsing the racks instantly after a French woman approached Jess—probably the designer herself. They handed me a few hanger of dresses and made me try them on inside the booths. I followed like a robot and fit everything. When I stepped outside after each try, they shook their heads. The clothes were pretty fine for me— much fine than my worth, and it confused me what Jess and Mina wants. But they were both so busy that I didn’t bother to ask.

            I stepped outside the booth and tried to browse too, but a black sleeveless hanged against the wall caught my eye instantly. Mina and Jess stopped and look up at it too, and then we all nodded. The French woman took out the dress and I tried it on. It was the best dress that I’ve ever worn.

            After the little last minute shopping of shoes and makeup, we walked for the car with shopping bags in each hand. I stopped and turned to my best friends in the whole world.

            “Thank you so much guys, how can I repay you?”

            “There you go again Eun! Don’t repay us!” Jess said and we all hugged.

            “I’ll miss this when we’re off to college.” Mina said while her face flushed.

            “Oh don’t start with that one. It’s not yet graduation!” Jess said. I can tell that she was afraid and excited as she slid out a tissue.

                                                               ∞

          That night as I lay awake in my bed, I thought about college. I asked myself what school I would choose after receiving approvals and scholarships from prestigious schools such as Seoul National University, Korea University and Yonsei University. But my major dilemma was what course I would be taking. Everyone from my relatives expects me to enter the best school as possible, take the best in demand course and work in a prominent office yet I haven’t even decide for myself.

            Mina and Jessica would be studying in different schools far from my choices. We will all be taking different paths, different friends and different life afterwards. I thought about Kim Jaejoong.

            Will he be taking a different path from mine as well?