Post-Graduation Ball

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

 

“Are you ready?” Mina asked again as she led me outside my room like a prisoner from the medieval ages. In fact, they both treated me like a prisoner from makeup to curling my hair helplessly.

 She looks very pretty and hippy with a violet V-neck tight fitting dress and a rolled-up bun. Jessica was the best make-up artist; she really turned Mina’s face like Yoon Seung Ah’s. She clapped her hands and took mine with a friendly knowing squeeze.

            “Mina, you’ve been asking So Eun that for the hundredth time. Go on hurry, Jaejoong doesn’t like to wait.” Jess said behind me after closing the door. She looks so regal in a gold and red knee-length dress and an expertly made makeup.

            “Oh Jess, Jaejoong knows how to wait now. And Eun is worth waiting for. Look how beautiful she really is!”

            “I don’t even know how I look!” I scowled at both of them as we stumbled down the stairs. “You didn’t even let me see from the mirror!”

            “Well then I’ll be your mirror.” Jaejoong’s melodic soft voice rose up from the living room. He walked towards the bottom of the stairs wearing a black suit and was very handsome than ever. “I’ll say you look very beautiful than I have imagined.”

§So Eun's Dress: http://www.wholesaleclothinginc.com/images/010522/yoco_korean_dress_J1168black1.jpg

 

            I blushed as I made my way down with melting legs barely looking his eyes. I fought my balance and reached for Jae’s warm hand. When I looked into his eyes, they were melted and bronze as usual but were teasing. “You look very good too.”

§So Eun's Dress: http://www.thepurplebud.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/yoco_korean_dress_J1168black4.jpg            

           “You really look beautiful Eun.” My father was almost teary eyed as he stood from his arm chair. “You’re as beautiful as your mother.” He blushed too.

            “Thanks Dad.” I furtively wonder why they were complimenting me like this, is it because I seldom wear makeup? Or I look awfully plain everyday. Either way I wanted to be in this ball for no other reason than Kim Jaejoong.

            Jaejoong drove towards the post-graduation ball in our school gym in an exhilarating great speed but he was perfectly at ease. He was so handsome that it physically pains me just by looking at him. He caught me staring once and I think he smiled.

            “Is it your first time to wear heels?” He asked as he opened my door for me.

            I frowned confused. “Why? No I wore heels once or twice before.”

            The sides of his mouth twitch a little. “I thought so. You walk like a crab.” He parked in an open space and was opening my door after two strides.

            “A crab? Are you going to spend the night teasing me?” I stepped out, even if I was in a three or four inches heels, Jae was neck-spraining in his tall lanky height. 

            “Yes a crab.” He took my arm, ignored my other question, and led me inside the beautifully created gym.

            I glared while he wasn’t looking but then he gripped my arm lightly and looked at me. “A beautiful bothersome crab that I liked,” Then he kissed the tip of my nose and slightly brushed his cold lips to mine.

            It was harder to concentrate and no thanks to Kim Jaejoong. I was only beginning to appreciate the beautiful transformation that happened to our gym but then my mind suddenly felt like swimming and so did my untiring runner heart. We walked past an elegant flowery arch and stopped for pictures in the doorway. I didn’t know what was happening until a flash blinded me to indicate the cameramen. It was too late to smile for the camera.

            The gym was already bursting modern music and seniors are dancing around in haze of the lightings. The pink and blue balloons and twisted plastic garlands swirled in my head in a blur and only the bouquets of red roses in neat vases caught my focus. Jaejoong is mostly greeted by girls but I felt all eyes on me, making me feel awkward when we stepped inside the gym. Jae kept my balance with his arm around my shoulder; I decided to prove him I don’t walk like a crab.

            The music changed to a romantic one and Jae pulled me to him on the dance floor.

            He wraps my waist and took my other hand. “What?” He asked before stopping.

            “I can’t dance,” I admitted making be blush slightly and caught a few boys looking at me. I smiled to Donghae only since he was the only one I know from the bunch.

            Jae turned slightly to them. “I told you, you are beautiful.” I knew what he meant but I believed what it implements. “Now could we dance? I’ll show you how, terrible crab. This is my favorite song.” Hesitating for a second, I placed my hands to his shoulders.

            I wanted to retort to his teasing but the mood was so abrupt and I felt romantic as well. I tuned out all the people that was looking at us and felt for Jaejoong’s strong arms carry me through. Mostly it was Jae who glided and guided me, and it turned out not so bad to dance. I saw Mina cozy with Junsu and I beamed at them. They both waved.

            It felt good to be in Jae’s arm, it was very magical. Almost as if I had found my own prince who will never snap out or vanish, a prince who might love me for everything I am. I did want it to last as the music switch to another song. Then another.

            “Jae,” I tried to sound casual, hating to break away from him when Siwon met my gaze. “Are you planning to keep me all night?”

            He swayed until eyes flickered to Siwon in white tuxedo approaching us confidently. “Hmmm,” He looked at me fiercely. “I was counting on that. I wonder what he wants.”

            “Maybe just a dance.”

            Jae hissed as Siwon stopped and looked at me hopefully. “Just one dance.” Jaejoong said more loudly than necessary as he stopped to look at me once more before turning and walked away hesitantly. Siwon bowed his head to him politely oblivious. He smiled at me and reached for my hand.

            “Hey Siwon,” I said politely as he wrapped his hand around my waist and swayed me awkwardly.

            “Hi but that’s not what I want to say.” He stared down at me in adoration. “You’re so stunning tonight So Eun.”

            “And you look very handsome.” I smiled comfortably. “Who’s with you tonight?”

            “I was supposed to ask someone else for tonight. Too bad she’s taken. Unfortunately I went here alone.”

            I narrowed my eyes at him but he wasn’t kidding. So I just blushed and looked away.

            “It’s too bad we’re going to graduate. I was only here for what… three weeks? And then next week is the graduation ceremony.” We only swayed in place to where Jae left me, and I caught him after one awkward twirl surrounded by girls. Too bad he was ignoring them. His gaze was fixed on me.

            “Yeah it was all of a sudden alright.” I agreed. My divided attention always peak at where Jaejoong stands, cautious if he might dance with someone else.

            “Have you had any plans for the future?”

            I brought my attention to him simultaneously replying. “Not yet.”

            He was taken a back a little. “So Eun, everyone’s expecting you to take Law. You’ve topped the SAT’s last week.”

            “I just haven’t thought about college that well.” I tried to smile, hating the subject of our conversation.

            I was relieved to see Jaejoong unclasp his back from the wall and took my meaningful gaze. Siwon saw him and stiffed a little.

            “I hope you’re making the right choice Kim So Eun.” Siwon spoke above a whisper, obviously pertaining to Kim Jaejoong.

            “I can’t see that’s any of your business.” The music has changed by then but he didn’t mind it.

            “Just let me know if you changed your mind. I’ll be here waiting.”

             By then Jaejoong walked frivolously toward us. His face was deliberately composed. Siwon pulled away and tried to unfasten my hands that were digging his shoulder slightly harsh. “Thanks,” He muttered to me and Jaejoong before walking away.

             Jae heaved a heavy sigh before looking at me. “Want to eat?” He asked more enthusiastic now. “There are English marmalade sandwiches and desserts in the buffet.”

             “Sounds tempting.”

 

             The night was already black dark when we headed outside the gym, probably past midnight. The cameramen earlier handed our pictures and I gasped when I saw Jae’s handsome and perfect replica in tux. I frowned when I saw mine. It looks beautiful, especially the gown, but the noticeable blankness of my expression was disgracing. I took two copies, placed it inside my purse before handing the remaining three to Jae.

              Jaejoong took me in his back for a piggyback ride to take me home. He insisted he wanted to do this ever since. I took out my heel since my feet were aching and reddish and Jae laughed playfully at me as I climbed his back. I clung to his neck a little tighter, meaning to choke him but he was still perfectly at ease.

              “What was it Siwon said that made you uneasy?” He asked.

              “Nothing important, about college—something I don’t really want to talk about.” I lied. It wasn’t what made me uneasy but Siwon being hopeful still was unreasonable, almost to the verge of making me mad at him.

               To my relief Jaejoong didn’t prod instead he said. “That’s too bad; I thought you were going to walk like a crab all night.” He teased. I found myself wanting to take a look at his eyes when they crinkle jokingly.

              “Too bad alright.” I swallowed as an invisible lump formed to my throat. “Well… um… do you find me that attractive?” I asked trying to sound nonchalant.

               He laughed and tilts his head back. It was so silent that it was impossible to wake the neighbors. “Oh Eun, you don’t know what you’re talking about.” He continued to laugh as he paced our street.

               I hugged him tightly and leaned my head on his back. “Jae, you’re not so much of a babo now.”

              “What? Just because I don’t study well before makes you think I was a babo!”

              “Well you were a babo… before.”

              “Okay smarty-pants, what does Machiavellianism means?” He retorted.

               “You’re not so much of a babo now.” I still repeated. He wasn’t stupid because he knew the things that would hurt me.

               When we reached our house, the lights were all on like spotlights. I wonder if Dad expects to catch us in a teenage crime like kissing in the front porch which Jae was aware enough to avoid. I timidly said my goodbye, but before opening the door, Jae whispered to my ear. “Every guy in the ball noticed you Eun.”

               Then silently he retrieved. My father opened the door a little wider than necessary. And I knew he was sneaking at us.