A Lie

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

§Listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvyr5f8v9RA

 

 

 

 

“What? A bar? Are you insane?” My eyes were wide with disbelief as I stood up from my chair.

            “Yes, a bar.” Jaejoong looked completely innocent as he took a sip of his cup. With his blue shirt soaked wet, his built is well lean and muscular beneath it.

            “No, I don’t drink and I don’t dance.” I sat down blushing as all the people around the coffee shop glance at me.

            “You don’t have to dance.” He’s eyes were tantalizing while he smirked.

            “So I just have to drink?” I asked ironically.

            He nods, looking helpless and blameless.

            “Jaejoong, I know you’re so used to bars and clubs,” I emphasized. “But it’s not really how I want to release what I feel. It’s not me.” I explained, sounding like a boring person though Jaejoong looked interested.

            “Alcohol is a form of drink wherein you could release your pain and momentarily forget.” He said as if he read it in Wikipedia, he smiled reaching his ears. I thought about that. I really haven’t been inside a club but as far as I remember, I took my dad home from a bar just days after Mom passed away. It was one of those memories I tried to forget.

            “Okay.” I said at last, as long as Jaejoong will be there with me. To momentarily forget Siwon is more than okay. Alcohol is safe enough than cut my wrist or even hang myself, I thought foolishly, I’m not depressed enough to do that.

            Jaejoong drove me home with his Porsche when we were slightly dry from the warmth of the fireplace, and the warmth he’d just gave me. The rain outside his window has entirely dried. He said he’ll call and pick me up at six. I was formulating an excuse to tell my father.

            I took a warm bath, changed into comfy sweater and jeans and blow dried my hair. While waiting for the casserole to simmer, I took out my books from my wet bag pack and started out my little homework. Dad was home once I was done, I went down to greet him. He smelled the kitchen appreciatively.

            “Dad, Jessica invited me on a review slumber party tonight,” I highlighted the word review. I thought about drinking would mean losing myself and coming home smelling alcohol won’t loosen up my fretful father. Jessica would be more than glad to let me in since she’s always alone with her personal maids. He seems to consider this easier.

            “Okay,” He said quickly. I smiled and took out the casserole to serve the table. We ate in contented silence. Dad wished me happy as he went inside his study room. I took the stairs in threes as I dashed to my room to change clothes. I decided to wear jeans and chucks with a blue turtleneck.

            My phone was ringing when I got down and I picked it up to hear the soft musical voice of Jaejoong.

            “Yah, I’m outside.” His voice was serene with no hint of impatience.

            “I’ll be outside.” My heart was beating fast as I stepped outside the house, feeling eager to see Jaejoong’s marvelous, god-like face, although we were just together earlier.

            “Hi,” He greeted, scanning my look for the briefest time.

            “What?” I asked and slammed the door shut.

            He pulled up the driveway and drove high-speed; he drove fast, faster than I thought my dad could drive. “It’s a bar, not a gym.” He teased.

            I looked down on my outfit and felt suddenly ashamed for he was wearing a grey crisp suit. I blushed when I felt the glitch in my brain blocked again simple analysis. I’m with Jaejoong, an heir; we dated in Ipanema, a five-star restaurant in Seoul. Will he be bringing me in a cheap bar for a momentary aid for heartbreak?  

            “So do I need to change?” I sneakered.

            “It’s too late now,” He peeked at me with the most condemning expression. I held my breath.

            “Did your dad agreed for me to take you on a bar? I’m sorry if I didn’t go inside, we are quite late for a special reservation.” He said when I didn’t spoke.

            “No, I lied. I said I’ll go on a slumber party at Jessica’s house.”

            He became furious, his eyes were hostile. “What? You didn’t tell the truth?” Even mad, he looks much more attractive. His perfect musculature is visible under the white sleeve he had paired with the grey suit. The contours of his chest hinted packs of abs. I look up his face, eyes on the road with an ideal deepening dimple. I wonder why of all girls he will turn to like me.

            “He wouldn’t agree.” I retorted.

            He was fuming and it tinted his cheeks red. “Then you should have just cancelled on me.”

            “Are you expecting him to agree to even ask me?”

            “Yes, because every father should understand that.”

            “My dad is old fashioned.” I reminded him.

            “I’ll call Jessica to back me up.” His voice was still angry as he took out his phone and called Jessica.

            Jaejoong was talking to Jessica the way he used to talk to me before the kiss. It was the way a person would speak to a commoner, not with the slightest compassion or respect, but it was straightforward and demanding. Of course Jess would quickly agree to whatever Jaejoong’s request is, like I said before, he has his strangest way of being superior.

            He drove in silence, with his anger slightly flushing down his system. I was right, well fairly, he drove his car to a newly opened bar, and it was huge with expensive lights sparkling everywhere. The loud music was unmistakably moving from a castle-like bar, it was bigger than any regular bar. A bell boy parked Jaejoong’s car for him as our doors were opened by securities. Jaejoong defiantly tossed the keys to him rudely.

            He started into the door and glance over his shoulder. “Come now,” He called sounding still annoyed. I hurried to catch up to him as two large doors of medieval-like were opened before us. Judging by the look of it, it seems heavy but the guards easily glided them open, bringing out music.

            People were already dancing around in cocktail clothes, I look out of place. A hostess with tall slim legs wrapped by an ultra miniskirt cat walked to Jaejoong. Jaejoong asked for our saved booths with an alluring tone. She led us to a reserved booth, and unclasped the gold chain of a VIP booth. It was a table for two. She smiled up to Jaejoong warmly— only to him, slightly turning her back on me as if I wasn’t there.  She wasn’t bothered by me, due to my wearing gym clothes, extreme ordinary look compared to him, and the wide range space between us.

            “I don’t need you now,” Jaejoong said harshly and handed her crispy bills, I didn’t plan to gaze how much. The hostess looked hurt and gracefully went away. Jaejoong stared at me then pushed me to the red seat. I landed but swung back and fell to the floor.

            Jaejoong was laughing as he helped me up to my seat. His eyes were like stars as they crinkle slightly, making a smiling eyes. He flashed an apologetic smile. “Sorry,”

            “I guess that’s for me lying to my father.”

            “What are you taking?” His hand covered his smile.

            “I don’t know anything about alcohol.” I look around the club; it looks ordinary enough except that every famous and popular star in Korea seems present.

            “How about the drink with least alcohol content?” He handed me the menu.

            I stared at it and searched for a vaguely higher one, I found clear light vodka. A server went to our booth and asked for our drinks.”

            “Clear light vodka for me please.” I said ahead of Jaejoong. I was showing off a little. He looked disapproved, but then said his order.

            “I’ll have vodka too, make it one bottle for us.” The server left, dazzled by Jaejoong’s coy smile. “Don’t drink too much okay.” He said to me.

            “Jaejoong, what do you usually do in a bar?” I side tracked,

            “Make out.” He replied, watching me intently. My heart throbs with an unfamiliar ache. My face instantly fell, flushed.

            He laughed, it was a crescendo again. “You’re vulnerable means you’re jealous.”

            I didn’t say more.

            “So Eun, I was joking.” He was stunned. “You’re falling in love with me aren’t you?”

            “No, I’m not.” I denied quickly.

            “I go to a bar when I have a problem. I go alone.” He said to my strange relief. “Then I drive fast all the way home.” He added, making me look worried. “I was arrested once, and spent twenty minutes in jail.”

            “Whoa. That’s cool.”

            “You think that’s cool.” His voice was bleak.

            “I have never taken a risk. It seems like now I want to try.” I smiled, dazed by the empathy that flashed his eyes.

            A bottle of vodka with a bucket of ice and glass were served. Jaejoong took ice using a tong and filled each glass with ice and vodka. He drank his as if coaching me. I drank mine and grimaced. The taste was bitter, and nauseous. He chuckled at my expression.

            I poured another and gulped it. It hurt my throat and it doesn’t taste good.

            “So where do you take your girlfriends then?” My face was sour because of the liquor.

            “It depends on them, mostly shopping and movies, parties and karaoke. But they were only like accessories to my outfit.”

            I felt lightheaded as I drank another.

            “I’m your accessory tonight right? Your gym instructor?” I slurred, my head was like detached.

            “No, I never thought of you like that. Ever.” He pierced his eyes to mine; he was toying with his empty glass.

            “Since kindergarten, Siwon was my first crush. Remember when you took my teddy bear from me while I was playing?” Jaejoong looked up at me, confused and then he smiled wryly.

            “Siwon was the one who reached up to grab it from you.” I continued, not clearly thinking. “He turned to be a superman. And then every time I see him. I knew we had this invisible connection. When he’s not around then suddenly he is, I knew exactly where to look, the same for me.  I thought we have magic, an unspoken magic. I thought we were meant for each other even if we’re not talking much, but then he just left three years ago, putting all my dreams and hopes down. I’ve never told anyone about that. They might think I’m childish and silly.”

            Jaejoong only watched me with stern eyes; his hands clasp his glass tightly.

            The next thing I knew was I drank two more bitter vodka straight-up and at the third, Jaejoong was taking the glass from me. I was drunk, finally… or not.

            My mind was floating in the air. The next thing was, I cannot remember.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I am updating quite late... I had to visit my ill brother in the hospital. But hopefully tomorrow he'll recover and would be sent home already.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                      SARANGHE all cheeky

 

Jaejoong + So Eun

           devil + angel