Paris Baguette Café

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

 

 

Friday was a lot much better when I woke up to the blistering sunlight sprawling from my open window.

            Jae drove me to school without his bodyguards to my relief. “You particularly didn’t want them around.” He had told me inside his car with unreadable expression. “And I found them useless with that Band Aids wrapped around you.”

            By the time we reached school, holding his hand until we parted unwillingly, murmurs and attention never faltered. I wanted to kiss Jae’s cheek again, but not with the public attention hovering around us waiting for something else to spill to everyone.

            As I watched Jaejoong’s tall and lean figure saunter out the doors for gym, I realize he hasn’t acted weirdly or uncomfortable after telling me he loves me yesterday, which is absurd. Boys would just want to get things over quick and call it official without any means or basis. Jaejoong was really something else. Something for real keeps.

        By lunch time, the Junior Plastics said apologies again, more for polite popularity act than the real essence of remorse. The cafeteria was only half-full, most of the students were out eating in the gym watching basketball practice. After dumping the tray of my half eaten Bibimbap, Jess asked me if she and Mina could watch the practice again. I nodded, feeling nothing but the on-again-off-again emptiness that would engulf me when Jae’s not around.

       I went to my class wrapped in my shell that I bumped into someone hard. My books scattered to the floor, and so as the person’s things. I scrambled to get up, and a hand swiftly helped to pull me. I glance up to see Choi Siwon of class 12B.

      “Sorry,” I said casually as I bent to pick up my things.

       “Hello,” He greeted. He squat down to get his things too, giving my books that we tried to assort from what we made pile. “I’m sorry too, but hey I haven’t seen you in a while.”

       “Yeah I guess.” I said sheepishly, barely meeting his eyes. I remembered last Tuesday when he left me waiting in the rain, then felt a sharp pang in my heart.

        “I’m sorry if I didn’t go out with you since— as far as I could remember,” He snickered. “Stella had a fever that I had to run off for.”

         I couldn’t believe myself that I even agreed to go out with someone who has a girlfriend to prioritize. “That’s okay.” I said instead.

         “Would you like to go out tomorrow then, instead? If Jaejoong wouldn’t knock me out like how he did before.” He laughed a manly husky laugh. It sounded rowdy to my ears after getting used to Jae’s melodic voice and contagious laugh.

          I smiled at him. “I’m not really sure Siwon. I don’t think that’s fine with Stella too.”

          He shifted his weight to his other foot, hardly comfortable. “We broke up.”

          “Oh, I’m sorry.” I blurted out automatically.

          “Yeah well, nothing lasts forever right,” He said. I didn’t agree with him. “I guess you’re really in love with Jae. But hey, spare me a minute or two tomorrow will you? Just as good-old friends, a friendly date rather.” His face held up all honesty that it was hard to resist. Anyway we were friends before, way back since kindergarten. And it was better to forgive him entirely; I was never the person who plants the pain inflicted by someone until it grows enough to trigger murder.

          “Okay.” The bell rang for class just then.

          “Okay!” He budged. “I’ll call you this time, I swear.”

          We parted ways and I settled for the next class, eager to start with Music class right away. When I reached the amateur room, Jae was patiently waiting while playing with the keys to a dislodged tone. I smiled at myself and shook my head as I open the glass door. He looked up through his long lashes, stealing my breath again.

            “You’re late you know. I’ve been here for long.” He smiled my favorite dimpled smile and scooted to give space.

            “Maybe because you were earlier before Mr. Lee,” I joked.

            “Yeah actually I was, now will you teach me ‘Air in G string’? I’m itching to learn my piece for the exams then graduate this music class.” He snickered playfully. I wasn’t getting used to being separated with him, so by each hour that ticks in school without him makes me long for him than normality should allow.

             I demonstrated first the piece he picked to play, it was easy and it was a good choice for beginners or he was just determined enough that he excelled. I learned that Jae really liked Bach’s music’s because his father played classical music’s in their grand piano, before his mother practically let them be moved to one of their vacation house after he died.

          After school, Jae drove me home tired from practice. But it wasn’t the training that exhausts him but the cheerful and screaming diehard girl fans of his. They eventually throw themselves to Jaejoong. Jae laughed when he discovered I wasn’t jealous, because it didn’t really make me. Jae confessed that all of his girlfriends before make it such a big deal. Stella used to shoo them with one evil look, which made me think whether to tell Jaejoong about Siwon’s ‘friendly date’.

           Nonetheless, we talked about ourselves instead while his Porsche was parked outside the house, waiting for my father. Jaejoong narrated his experiences with his girlfriends and as much as possible I kept my face vacant or else he’ll laugh. We talked some more about personal memories and experiences. I realize that Jaejoong had always been in my life before without me noticing much. He’d always been in my birthday parties, school balls, camping and even once became my rival for class president.

            My father arrived and parked his Corvette to the garage. Jaejoong waited as he got out and greeted my father before driving home.

                             ∞

           I told my father the next morning that I have to meet up with Siwon in an ice cream parlor downtown. Although Dad agreed, he had this stern confusing look in his face. I showered hastily and wore a printed dress and leather boots. Siwon called as he promised saying he was already at the ice cream parlor.

So Eun's Floral Dress: http://www.traderscity.com/board/userpix31/20157-fall-autumn-korean-dres-wholesale-floral-dress-3.jpg

            I drove to Paris Baguette Café with my father’s car and spotted Siwon wearing a navy blue crisp suit right away. It intimidated me a little because he was too formal. I parked down the curb then went inside the store. He smiled as he took off a tray of ice creams to the nearest empty table.

Paris Baguette Cafe: http://u.jimdo.com/www33/o/sda3c22aaf8d4fa12/img/i8320c96c7579f58a/1283633421/std/bakery-paris-baguette-if-you-want-to-buy-some-normale-white-bread-or-baguette-you-should-go-to-this-chain-shop-otherwise-it-s-quite-hard-to-find-normal-bread-at-shops-in-seoul-most-shops-sell-only-sweetened-bread-click-to-enlarge-picture.jpg

            “I’ve never seen you wear a dress before.” He commented as we settled down. He scanned my clothes briefly making me blush.

            “I never did but Seoul Elite High requires.” I noted bluntly. The ice cream was good, and the store wasn’t the least bit crowded. The weather in Seoul was turning hot even with azure blue skies, basically because summer time is approaching.

            “So much has changed in such a short time.” He beamed. Siwon has a breathtaking manly smile; he has tiny dimples beneath his lower lips. I thought about the memories in my childhood, but it wasn’t like he took part in most of it. Somewhere beneath the lines, our friendship has disappeared like most children’s toys. But he never failed to ease the tension I always feel with him before since he was my crush. He was bright as the sun with relaxing rays that extends to everyone grumpy, and ends up making them smile as well.

            “Yes I guess so,” I smiled warmly.

            “You grew more beautiful than the last funny little So Eun.” He commented again. I blushed as usual.  I didn’t know where he was getting into, but the conversation was light.

            Siwon talked about most of his experiences in Europe, and then he narrowed down to his relationship with Stella to my surprise. He was no longer the boy before with sealed lips to his private life. He surprisingly opened up to the depths of their long distance but short relationship.

            Stella had contacted him last summer for she decided to have a vacation in Europe. Right there they became friends and when she went back in Seoul to take up college, Siwon thought he loved her. They had a long distance relationship until he went back to Seoul to finally be with her.

            But Stella was not the kind of girl who could put down her feet. Siwon ascertained that she was with someone else while they were still together, and she even dated lavishly. Siwon has called it off since then. I don’t know why I was to be concerned with this, but Siwon has always given me this light and bright feeling.

            He changed the serious topic with a smile. He often joked to my relief. While we finished the remains of the ice cream, he voiced some of the people who were ordering in the counter. I couldn’t suppress the chuckling laughter that escaped my throat, but when I saw a tall lean white figure entered the store and ordered a cup of coffee, I almost choked.

            He hasn’t noticed me at first, but then as if he felt my stare he looked up. He stared at me for a fraction of a second until he gazed at Siwon who was still laughing about something else. There crept a white ashen indecipherable expression in his face.

            Kim Jaejoong looked like a stone.