First Date I

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

§Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoqfcR67xh4

I reached home ahead of Dad; he has attended a teacher’s conference so I sent him a text message. The key of the house was hidden underneath one of the flower pots. I entered my room throwing my bag pack to the floor and changed into jeans and sweatshirt, gathering my hair, I ponytailed it. I decided to bake cookies to alleviate me up.

            As I was whisking flour and egg, my head was whirling why Jaejoong asked me on a date. It wasn’t clearly an asking, it was more of a threat. Will he be able to try to fire my Dad from work all because of a date? No, wrong question, he is capable of anything he plans to do, he owns the school. But will he do such a bias conspiracy in exchange of a date?

            He is Kim Jaejoong, has he forgotten that? He is the grandson of the founder of Seoul Elite High and heir of Les Elite Inc. He has dated numbers of the top good-looking girls and could easily get one right away— even without a threat to budge. And why of all girls would he choose me? I look completely simple in comparison to his handsome, livid face.

            When Jaejoong tries to get a girl he likes, he’d do it in a more dazzling way. Either he’d wink or kiss her hand. After thirty minutes she’s completely his. This I have witnessed when we all reached freshmen year. But he seems more… natural with me since that game, it’s like we have a common ground.         

          I let my mind drift to him although it makes my stomach queasy; when he placed his hand round my shoulder, when he told me he was my first kiss, the way he leaned beside my locker, when he smiled… when we kissed. I shook my head viciously.

             Apparently he’s only playing, one of his perceptive missions of what? —collect all kinds of girls? He wouldn’t be interested with me, I’m not interesting. But he is, he’s dangerously beautiful— a playboy I shouldn’t be playing with, he’s arrogant, lazy and attractively superior, and everybody kneels down before him. But he threatened to fire my dad, it’s hard to take the risk of not to agree when he is capable of an evasive action. He said he’ll pick me up.

            Fixing the timer and heat of the oven, I marched back to my room to finish my research paper due on Monday. Then I started reading my Physics book in advance. After I was all done, I scanned my closet for a dress but ended up closing it without success.

            Dad arrived while I was eating cookies with tea at the dining table. He was carrying a white box, beaming eagerly. I greeted him and he picked a cookie to nibble.

            “Is there something you’re not telling me So Eun?” He asked smiling.

            “What?” He is strangely enthusiastic. I studied his face.

            “Well, the grandson of the founder of Seoul Elite High had just asked you out and it seems like you don’t plan to tell me.”

            No way. How could he? My mind was suddenly spinning. Does Dad know that he’s being threatened? I studied his face again, why in the world must he smile when his job is at risk?

            “W-Who told you so?”

            “Jaejoong’s butler handed me this and he informed me that you two have a date.” He handed me the elegant-looking box, clearly an expensive brand. I opened it remarkably. It was a blue dress, it looks outrageously pricey, a light blue cotton dress with floral prints. It has a satin ribbon. I was bewildered.

            “I think you’re now a lady, So Eun, so I trust you on that.”

            “I never really considered that as a date. Did he say more?” Pessimistic that Dad is not being threatened, I guess I’m obliged to attend that date.

            “He said he’ll pick you up at exactly eleven.” He peeked sideways.

            “Oh, okay.” So he wasn’t being threatened. I sigh in relief.

            “I saw posters of you and him, kissing.” He frowned in disappointment.

            “Dad that was edited, you know how kids in school plays prank. It’s the hard way.” I thought of that excuse since Trigonometry, when Dad was looking at me pryingly. He looked lightened.

            “Yeah, kids these days are unlike my generation. But it seems like Jaejoong is interested.” I couldn’t believe I was discussing this to my father like a girl talk.

            “I doubt that, Dad.”

            “Just be careful, though. He has a reputation.” I nodded, and smiled weakly.

            Dad did not say more about the date. We ate dinner in silence, and he only asked about how the exam was. He proceeded in his study room and I grabbed the box up to my room. I threw it beside the bed and it landed with a thud. No plans of trying it on, I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I slept well that night, not dreaming about Jaejoong.

            My alarm clock didn’t work, and I woke up at exactly ten forty-five. My head was rotating when I got up, probably from oversleeping. I scrambled to the bathroom to shower hastily. When I was done, I heard Dad yell that Jaejoong has arrived. My heart fell to the floor. I yelled back “Almost done,”

            I wore the blue dress, and then scanned my shoe rack; I took my black close shoes. I blow-dried my hair; it neatly made twirls of curls. I didn’t bother to wear any make-up since this is not a common date. This is a threat; I reminded myself, acting dead is safer. I hope with that Jaejoong would be turned off. My heart was beating fast as I went down the stairs.

 

§The Dress http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/23004/dakota-fanning-and-betsey-johnson-evening-daisy-teen-vogue-strapless-dress-gallery.png

 

            Jaejoong was seated at one of the matching sofa set adamantly imperial. He was wearing a black tuxedo, and the contrast of it with his pale white skin seems so bizarre. His hair was swept to the side, looking gentlemanly, except he’s not. Dad was extremely warm to him. If only he knew

 

§Jaejoong's Tuxedo http://hanleidbsk.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/jaejoong-system.jpg

 

            Jaejoong looked up at me and stole my breath. I looked at Dad to concentrate on not tripping, but too late. I stumbled at the last stair. Jaejoong was quickly by my side and helped me up. Dad was laughing, I sulked in embarrassment. I thought I saw Jaejoong suddenly smile, but went to look concern again as he spoke to Dad.

            “We’ll be going now, Mr. Yong-min.” He said politely and he took my hand. Dad smiled at me warmly assuring. I quietly said good bye.

            "Clumsy." He whispered to me. 

            When we got out the house, I wavered when I saw Jaejoong’s black shiny Porsche parked in front our house. He seems to notice my hesitation. He took a deep breath then leveled his eyes to mine as he spoke.

 

§The Porsche http://dvice.com/pics/electric_porsche_front.jpg

 

            “Be good today So Eun, or else…” He smiled scornfully. I stared unto his eyes until the solid bronze shade of his eyes turned to liquid. He dragged me to his car, opened the door then pushed me in to place the seatbelt. I was nervous and although it was his car that made me hesitate, I didn’t speak.

            Once we are settled in, Dad was sneaking by the window half covered by the curtain. I smiled to him apologetically. He saw what Jaejoong did and I can see he wasn’t happy.

            “Please don’t do that to my Dad. It’s his only passion in life.” I said as Jaejoong drove the highway.

            “Let’s see if you can make me happy today. Minus one for making it late, don’t you know how long I’ve waited while talking to your father? That’s thirty minutes. And it was my first time to wait for someone.” He was looking at the road.

            “Then why do you want me to go on a date with you? Threatening my dad and make you happy? Do you think you could buy off people’s rights?” I asked irritated.

            “You look stunning today. My designer chose that dress for you, it was worn by a Hollywood star; Dakota Fanning.” He changed the subject. I blushed red from his comment.

            All my adept anger and agitation dissolved. I was lost in concentration. He peeked at me when I became silent, waiting for a reply. “And you look, well, you look fine.” I said at last.

            “I always do, more than that, don’t you think?” Jaejoong said as he drove. An awkward silence fell between us.

            He parked the car in front of Ipanema, a five star restaurant and where I haven’t dined in before. I was about to get off the car when he stopped me. He got out to walk around the car and opened my door. Strange.

            “Aren’t you being different today?” I tried to ask casually, but looking at him makes me distracted. He smiled but ignored my question and placed his hand at my back. He led the way. The restaurant was warm and the ambiance was romantic.

            A waiter had already assisted us when we got inside, we were seating at the most extraordinary table for two, the VIP section perhaps. Then he gave each of us the menu and left. I opened mine quite indignantly. The menus offer varieties of meat.

            “I thought you’re a vegetarian?” I asked him curiously.

            “I thought you’re not.” He replied curtly, not looking up from his menu.

            “Can’t we have a sense-full conversation?”

            “Well, I’d like to try something new and exciting.” Meat is exciting? I thought.

            “So what are you having?” He asked. I took a look at my menu again, but then I saw the price. Twenty six thousand won is the price of a single platter of appetizer. I scrutinized again, all food are pricier. I stood up, he was taken a back. I strode away but he caught up my wrist and spun me around to face him.

            “Where are you going?” He asked suddenly tensed. The people around are filled with their very own conversation that no one bothered to notice us. He was careful not to make a scandal.

            “I couldn’t afford the price.” I whispered, looking down embarrassed.

            He laughed a soft and haughty laugh. I peeked up at him blushing. His eyelashes brush his cheek as he gaped at me. “You’re not going to pay for your food, I will.”

            “But still, I couldn’t afford that to you.” I introverted, looking at my feet.

            He chucked angelically. “It’s a date So Eun, just relax and I’ll take care of everything.” His smile was hypnotic; all my thoughts were swept away.

            We sat back again as the waiter took our orders. I ordered practically, choosing the cheapest as much as possible. Jaejoong thought I was being difficult and hilarious at the same time. I didn’t agree to him. I glance around then caught Choi Siwon, my crush since kindergarten dining in front of us. I was astounded. He was back.