Protection Program

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

 

After repeating my odd made-up lie all over again to my teachers, and witnessing their penetrating stares, the bell for lunch rang to my relief. I took my books and caught up with Jess and Mina, as the bodyguards outrageously followed us.

            “What kind of excuse is that? You had a cold?” Mina started as she eyed the bodyguards. I tried to look like I don’t know them as much as possible. But I couldn’t help the people narrowing their eyes to me.

            “It’s a pretty good excuse. I made that on the spot.” I ran my hand to my neatly tousled hair, as Jess and Mina both took my arms.

            “Oh yeah, they really bought it!” Jess giggled. “Could you remind me since when did you not take your vitamins?”

            “And if only you saw that disapproving look from Mr. Han, he wasn’t buying it casually.” Mina added. “But wait, you have to tell us more about Jaejoong!”

            “What is there more?” I raised my brows and bit my lip.

            “You haven’t told us about what happened yesterday! You didn’t call me back after you spent the afternoons at Jaejoong’s. Did you?” Jess had slender long legs that the Junior Plastics were now eyeing at as we passed the junior halls.

            “I… took a trip around his house. But Principal Joanne wasn’t there though.” I decided to tell them the truth, seeing Mina and Jess’s wide eyes wouldn’t let me slip off what is supposed to be private easily.

            “Oh my gosh,” Mina squeezed my arm. “I always wanted to do that. What was it like? I’m sure it took you hours to round it all.” This was the details I’d rather keep to myself.

            “So did you stay there until he returned?” Jess asked to my great reprieve.

            “Yeah I did, he showed me the first star.”

            We were by our lockers now, and I quickly placed my books. Then we settled in the cafeteria with our tray of food, a little comfortable that the guards only leaned by the walls. I wonder if they already eat. The Junior Plastics stopped by our table.

            “So Eun,” Dara called animatedly. “You were with Jaejoong this morning?!”

            “I can’t see that’s really your business.” I snapped, shocked by my own response. Mina and Jess shot me looks.

            “We were only asking!” Sunny seemed surprised by my own response too.

            “Queen So Eun, you are totally dethroned! If you would be mean to us then so will we!” Tiffany shook her hair towards me as they stormed off.

            Both Mina and Jess giggled. “What did I do wrong?” I bit an apple, more anxious to be with Jaejoong than worry about them.

            “They were really up for a gossip.” Mina pointed to imitate Tiffany.

            “But I wouldn’t be telling them detailed happenings about my life!”

            “Oh don’t worry Eun; we were glad you were able to handle those plastics. You won’t really know if they are friends or not.” Jess fidgeted to her phone.

            Lunch happened to pass by easily with Jess and Mina whining that Yuchun and Junsu were at basketball practice. The lunch seems to be unusually quiet without the heartthrobs. I went to the next class without Jess and Mina for they ditched with a few fellow students to watch the practice. I wouldn’t dare do that though I badly wanted to see Jaejoong again.

            The time dragged on until Music class, I hurried out ignoring with all my might the pressuring bodyguards. I was pessimistic that Jae wouldn’t be here, knowing that him transferring from guitar is somewhat useless. School is about to end and we haven’t even started for his basics. But when I saw a tall lean and white figure talking to Mr. Lee, my heart thumped wildly.

            He turned to look at me, shocking me with a smile. I walked unconscious about the other people to him.

            “Hey,” He greeted with his melodic voice that I missed. “I ditched practice for you.”

            I couldn’t speak for a while but pushed myself to. “Really?” My voice was husky.

            Mr. Lee cleared his throat and asked everyone to sit first. Jae sat beside me on a stool. Mr. Lee only made simple introductions that I barely heard because of my closeness to Jae’s cold arms. Our arms were brushing that gave me a hyperventilating sensation. Then Mr. Lee asked us to enter the amateur rooms with our partners.

            Jae stood and waited for me as I recovered my breathing; he smiled as if he knew. The amateur rooms were each separated by soundproof glass, and Jae held up the door.

            “I only know the basics okay?” He scooted to the chair and patted the space he made.

            “Fair enough,” I smirked. “Was it okay to ditch practice because Jess and Mina did too?”

            “Because of Yuchun and Junsu right?” He raised his brow as I sat beside him, aware again of the hyperventilating nearness. “Yeah it’s alright unless it’s reasonable. And mine is because I wouldn’t graduate if I couldn’t pass Music.”

            “So I guess we better get started.”

            I taught to him first the basics in C Minor keys. That he pulled off easily, but when I moved up to transposing, he started to think in the other side of Mars. I repeated again turning more specific as if tutoring a child. But he was more looking at my face than listening. Then the hyperventilating feeling started to run up my arms and nested to my chest, unable ling my heart. He might be feeling it too because he was moving stiffly.

            The bell finally rang dismissal and I was glad we had to get home alone.

            “Eun, I…” He spoke as we exited the Piano room. “I still have fifteen minutes practice, is that okay?”

             I hesitated for a while. “Yeah it is since your bodyguards are with me.” This time I was able to hide the cracks of my disappointed face.

            “I’ll see you later by my car about that.” He kissed my nose to knock the breath out of me as he stalked off to gym.  The bodyguards emerged behind me; I started to walk for the lockers. After rounding a corner, I saw Principal Joanne so I bowed to her.

            “Hello So Eun, why were you absent yesterday?” She asked. Principal Joanne always has a straight and graceful posture adamantly since she was awarded twice as the Most Influential Woman of Korea. She had participated in local and international charity events, owns merchandises of Les Elite Inc. and has represented Korea around the world. She carries this grace and dignity that the old Jaejoong disregards.

            “I had a cold Mrs. Kim.” I repeated again but it was convincing to her now. Does she know I slept at her house? I once heard a rumor before that she lives in an apartment in Seoul to escape her son’s distresses.

            She looked behind me to the bodyguards, which bowed to her as well. There was a flash of suspicion in her beautiful face, but she covered it fast that it was hard to tell. “Well then, see you at the top.” She danced off to her office.

            I was still wondering about Jae and his mother’s relationship as I reached my locker. Mrs. Won, a professional chemist teacher from the juniors came up to me.

            “Kim So Eun,” She said gently, ignoring the protective guards. “Could you please help me out to the 11C’s lab? The Juniors aren’t really good at chemical mixings that it’s eating their dismissal time.”

            “Oh sure Mrs. Won,” I started to follow her slender figure and the little twist her hair at her back made.

            The bodyguards were about to follow again, but I couldn’t take anymore shame. “Please stay here, I’ll be back in a minute.” It was stunning for a while that they followed my order right away. All it has to take was my command after all.

            “I really have to finish this because they have a quiz tomorrow.” Mrs. Won led me inside the Chemistry lab of the juniors. Some girls were screaming my name, here goes my fans again. I waved at them timidly.

            Mrs. Won assigned me to the tables were the Junior Plastics eyed me incredulously. I tried to keep calm as Mrs. Won gave me the instructions. The lesson was fairly basics, Sodium carbonate and Potassium Sulfate.  I instructed the two groups under my hands, and with the unclouded look on their face, they imitate the steps.

            The two groups succeeded, and Mrs. Won smiled at me through her glasses. As the students write down their answers to their sheets, I notice Tiffany stood up to get a chemical bottle from the glass case of chemicals. She glares at me as she sat down.

            I went over to the students plainly to check the chemical she had brought. I gasped quietly, it was Manganese Dioxide, and Tiffany had already burned the whole pack in the gas burner. The seconds ticked by before I heard a loud ring of the fire alarm, then the automatic fire sprinklers discharged water pouring down everyone as they ran out. I hurried to pull Tiffany from shock as she stumbled down to the floor, but the chemical released an odorous smell that made me numb and dizzy. I fainted to the floor with a weak body; I couldn’t open my eyes as the fire creep nearer and nearer to me.