It's Just a Game

Seven Minutes in Heaven

 

§ listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGbIrGLIK0&feature=relmfu  

       I walked the curb of Jessica Jung’s street, pulled down my cardigan hood and switched off The Catalyst by Linkin’ Park playing on my iPod. The night is unusually crisp and windy but I like the feel of it with my hair. My boots is silently squeaking as I walk the damp road in a regular pace.

             I see Jessica’s house ahead. It is a red bricked three story mansion that I have grown very use to when she throws movie nights and slumber parties. But tonight is going to be serious; I’ll have to force the girls of my class to concentrate on a Trigonometry review for an exam tomorrow. This wealthy class of mine, nonetheless, is so lazy to even read three pages of our lesson. Consciously it doesn’t matter, there’s their very own possessions and chattels awaiting any chance they drop off from school.

            Seoul Elite High is where my father teaches the subject Trigonometry for the seniors of where I am included. It is the school of the rich and famous, sons and daughters of the elite. If you are not from the blood draw, then you’re either the child of a famous and prominent businessman or a superstar. However, I am a scholar from the very start of high school. Status does not get under my skin.

            As I near the house, I notice cars of assort parked in front Jessica’s pavement. There is a Porsche, Volvo, Jaguar and I recognized Mina’s Ferrari that her father had just given her as his homecoming present. In no way I would tutor this plenty of students. I might as well just inform them the exam tomorrow wouldn’t be that hard— to escape distress this would cause me. If it wasn’t for Mina and Jessica’s persuasiveness, I wouldn’t come out this late at night.

            The students from 12A, my class, are living the life of comfort. Everything they want and need, they could easily get. But this does not concern me anymore; it had when my Mother passed away. But as we all grew up together, rooted from Seoul Elite School since kindergarten, I am used to every trouble these rich kids make. And I grew to love them like family. Thing is, the only craze that you have to remember to avoid is no other than drama. Seoul Elite High drama is way worse than Gossip Girl.

            I hesitated in front of Jessica’s house when I heard loud party music coming from it. This is not how a group study should be; I thought then climbed the stairs of the porch anyway. I rang the doorbell. I was thinking about formulating a lecture on Jessica about group studies when suddenly the door flew open, bringing the music more concentrated.

            I froze and gasped loudly, standing there while holding the bolt of the door was Kim Jaejoong, casual as ever. Jaejoong is on a group study? I’m dreaming right?

            He continued to stare down at me with liquid bronze eyes, grinning mockingly. He was wearing a black shirt underneath a black jacket and black denim; somehow his lean and muscular build is visible beneath his shirt. Of all people, this is definitely not the perfect spot you’ll see Jaejoong. My hands were chilling and I was left shocked and frozen for seconds until Jaejoong spoke up.

          “We’ll just stare each other off, right?” His voice is the lighter shade of husky and mid of velvet soft, always mesmerizing in a way and I grew very familiar with it ever since. With this I instantly snapped off then blushed when I apprehended my mouth was hanging open.

            “Why are you here? This is supposed to be a group study.” I asked, pulling my eyebrows.

           “Am I not allowed to be in a group study?”  Jaejoong has his way of establishing that he’s the authority, he’s in command, and right now he’s using it to me and I have never grown accustomed to it yet. Humility betrays me.

            “Of course you are, but it’s very unusual of you.” I tilted my chin, but I still look defeated. His slight dimple showed up as he smiles again to my humble answer. It took my breath; he’s an expert in making his way, either to girls or boys.

            “Supposed, but I don’t think this is a group study anymore.” He eyed the dancing people behind him. “Looks like Jessica changed her mind.”

            I glanced behind him. He looks back at me, eyes narrowing. “Aren’t you coming in bookworm?”

            I searched his officious face. “I’m still considering—“

         “Whatever, freeze to death if you please.” He looked away fiercely then turned his back, walking arrogantly as the wild crowd gave way for him.

            My face fell but quickly regained composure. Rude killer smile-beholder Jaejoong, how come I’m still not used to him and his aloofness?  I stepped in then closed the door behind me. I’ve decided to notify Jess just in case she really changed her mind, and then I could impeccably go home. I excused myself from the crowd, careful not to be spilled by Champaign. I distinguished that the crowd are mostly seniors, only few juniors and outsiders. I made my way just enough to see a huge circle of people sitting at the floor of Jessica’s huge living room. They are cheering and blubbering. I saw Jess wearing a pink parka.

            “Jessica,” I said as I sat behind her.

            “Oh So Eun, I’m so glad you came.” She exclaimed, but she’s distracted.

            “Jess, I thought this is a group study?”

            “What? Sorry the music is so loud. Just join us okay?” She enthused then turned back to whatever is going on inside the circle.

            “Okay Jaejoong’s the next price.” I heard Mina yell then everybody cheered.

            I kneeled to navigate the source of their enjoyment then saw an empty wine bottle spinning on the floor. It slowed down then stopped, directing its nose to me. Everybody cheered again then stood up. Two boys from my class grabbed each of my hand to bring me to my feet. Then Kyu Hyun grabbed my waist all of a sudden then slung me to his shoulder.

            “Yah, wait what’s going on?” I asked confused. I tried to yank Kyu Hyun’s arm but it was so strong. I started to panic wildly, from a distance; I might look like a child throwing tantrums. I searched Jessica and found her at the very end of the crowd from me. The crowd was piling and I caught a glimpse of Jaejoong leaning on the wall, arms crossed. He smiled mischievously at me then he followed. I blinked, sinking in deep confusion.

            Kyu Hyun settled me inside the maid’s quarter and went back to the crowd cheering and routing outside the door. They gave way for Jaejoong, walking casually and staring at me. The crowd applauded louder. When Jaejoong reached me, they slammed the door shut.

               I ran for it then turned the knob. It was locked from the outside. I banged the door. “Yah, open the door, this is not funny.” I banged it again. I looked back at Jaejoong, standing so calm. “You, what are you doing? Can’t you see we’re locked in here? Help me out and open the door.” I was jumping up and down, panic-stricken.

            Jaejoong walked to me dramatically slow, hands in his pockets. “So Eun, the ever so innocent geek, don’t you know what this is? This is Seven Minutes in Heaven.”

             I swallowed at an abrupt invisible lump on my throat. My heart skipped, my breathing turning ragged as he closed the distance between us. “For seven minutes, I’ll kiss you.”

            He took my face, then swiftly but gently kissed my lips. I was astonished; my eyes wide open in shock. My posture turned rigid. Jaejoong’s hand smoothly fell to my shoulder, and I eased up then slowly my eyes closed. This is my first kiss.

            Jaejoong’s kiss was not passionate or torrid, it was soft…and gentle which greatly amazed me since he was so used to kissing other girls. This reminds me that this was Jaejoong; the ultimate heartthrob and playboy heir of the Les Elite Inc., the boy who plays with the feelings of girls and changes girlfriends like clothes. My mind was telling me to pull away or even spank his face, but I didn’t. And I don’t know why. I was drawn to him with a powerful force.

   

§Jaejoon's kiss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-qRITCm6I

         

          Gently he pulled away. I blinked my eyes open to see him smiling crookedly. I blush tomato red. His eyes seem to be hiding something deep within, deeper than its mesmerizing bronze, then like a snap, it returned to normal. His hands fell to his side.

           “Seven minutes is up, I never thought I could kiss gently. Another mission accomplished.” He chuckled, but it seems wrong. His eyes pierced me unexpectedly; they were frustrated in a way. Then the door blast open and everyone was cheering again. That was seven minutes? It felt short.

            He turned his back as the crowd gave way; some girls went for him cheering and gushing but he ignored them. I was left staring after him as he vanished.

            I flicker to see Jessica in front my face asking about something. But I couldn’t think. My heart wasn’t settling yet. My knees were shaking.

             I went home not long enough. I didn’t saw Jaejoong anymore; I didn’t want to think that after he just considered that as a game would I still care for him. I told Jessica and Mina that the exam will only be easy, they didn’t seem to care. They kept up with another round of the game.

               I walked back, quite slower. My heart has returned to normal velocity while I was walking. I regret that I came to that group study turned party turned nightmare. My house was only across another street from Jess’s. When I got back, Dad was at the dining table doing the exam sheet while having a coffee. He must be waiting for me; I felt a surge of guilt.

            “You’re home early,” He said after looking up from his drink. Dad has only shared at least point five percent of his appearance to me. And that is my skin color, and how I blush every now and then. I look like my Mom, her exact carbon copy.

            “I only told them the exam would be easy.” No need to add that they have no plans to review.

            “Oh, okay you hungry?” I’m already full… with stupid butterflies. I thought.

            “I already ate there,” I assured him as convincing as I could. My face was about to break.

            “Okay, I guess you’re off to bed then?” He doesn’t have to be too inquisitive.

            I nod anyway, and then skidded up the stairs into my room. “Good night, dad” I yelled before entering my room.

          I changed to pajamas and washed my hand and face. I viciously brushed my teeth as the thought of Jaejoong’s kiss ascend. Then I jumped to my bed. A few tears escaped from my eyes. Why am I crying for him? I’m sure he has kissed so many women, but still it bothered me. Because it was me he kissed, and I haven’t kissed anyone. And why did I let myself fall from his hands.

        I wiped my eyes as I felt my lips tremble at the sudden weight of how he touched it earlier. Tomorrow, he’ll completely forget about it happened, like how he said it was only a mission. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. But I couldn’t, I touched my lips with my hand.

angel