FORTY

The One That Got Away

The next morning, I am awakened by a finger lazily tracing the shape of my face, my ear, and my neck. At first it feels soothing, but then my consciousness that has been only half awake reminds me of my tickle spot. With eyes still closed, I smile, giggle a little, but stop abruptly when I am aware of something. My body is being pressed down by a... weight?

Someone is hovering over me. Hyukjae Oppa...? My heart slams against my ribcage. Oh God, oh God, what is he doing?

I squeeze my eyes shut, shivering at the thought. I feel the finger goes back up to my face, to my ear... and a warm breathing on my face. Suddenly the touch feels so suggestive.

My eyes spring open, and it feels like my heart has jumped out of my chest. I let out a high pitched squeak, “Jinhee!”

The girl explodes into a fit of laughter as she rolls off of my body – apparently she was straddling me – and she grabs her stomach, her face turning red from laughing too much.

I sit up on the bed abruptly. “I’m glad you find me funny.” I growl, irritated, while she has the grace to wipe the tears off the corner of her eyes.

I glare at her despite the sleepiness that’s not yet completely cleared from my system. Waking up to someone grinning down at you, not to mention their face was only inches away from yours like a scary Joker – believe me, it’s not a very pleasant experience. Not for the health of your heart.

“You thought I was Hyukjae, didn’t you?” she says when her laughter finally dies down. I feel my face flush.

“No.” I try scowling at her to cover my embarrrasment. “What are you doing here?”

“Waking you up, Agasshi, in a very funny way I should say. And your question reminds me. What were you doing yesterday?”

I blink. “Uh, what?”

“Butler Jeon told us you checked in at precisely two thirty this morning.” She narrows her eyes at me the way only Seo Jinhee and Sherlock Holmes can.

“While you should have arrived here yesterday afternoon.” Another voice said. I turn my head to the door and find my brother standing there, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes scanning the room, before settling at me accusingly. “Where were you yesteday? And where is Hyukjae?”

I look at both Daeyoung Oppa and Jinhee back and forth – both looking at me with narrowed eyes. What’s with the interrogation?

“Yesterday we went shopping until late afternoon, and then fell asleep at the beach.”

“Fell asleep. Until two thirty in the morning.” Daeyoung Oppa snorts.

“No, actually until two in the morning. There was just... some incident when we checked in.” My cheeks flush, and I quickly shake off the embarrassing memory in my head. I clear my throat. “And it took us ten minutes to reach this hotel, Oppa, just in case you want to know the detail.” I say too gently, making them wince. I never like being interrogated. The revelation and fight yesterday had us tired, that’s why we fell asleep until dawn there... but I’m not telling them about this now.

Daeyoung Oppa nods, and once again scans the room. “Where’s Hyukjae now?”

“The last time he slept with me you kicked him out of my room, remember? So obviously, he’s in his room now.” Jinhee looks at me, shocked.

“You slept with him?!”

“Not in that way!” I say, exasperated. “I slept with him – literally.”

“But still, you shouldn’t.” Deayoung Oppa cuts in.

Oh, what’s with these people, really?

“We’re dating, Oppa.” I tell him slowly, like talking to a little child.

“That’s not a justification. We’re Korean, Nayoung. We don’t sleep around-”

“We do not sleep around!” I bark at him.

“-and by the way, Hyukjae is not in his room.” He informs.

“What?”

“So I thought he would be here.”

“Maybe he’s going for a run or fitness.” Jinhee says.

“Oh... right. I should check the fitness place.” Daeyoung Oppa turns and heads to the front door of my suite, shouting as he walks, “Get ready, girls. We have breakfast in an hour.” And then he’s out of my suite and slams the door behind him.

I exhale loudly. “He’s annoying sometimes.”

“He’s just being protective for his little sister.” She says, and I think I catch a glimpse of blush in her cheeks. Oh?

“How do you know Hyukjae Oppa is going for fitness?”

She shrugs. “Just guessing. He has a well-built body, so he must have been working out.” She sends me a weird glance. “Not that I’ve been ogling your boyfriend, of course.”

That makes me laugh. Jinhee walks toward the table by the floor to ceiling window and holds up the shopping bags on it.

“You said you went shopping yesterday. Did he buy you these?” she asks, her eyes rummaging the dresses inside a shopping bag.

“Uhm, yes.” Why am I embarrassed with this?

“Wow, look at those price tags...” she says dreamily. “Why didn’t you go here with us?” she asks suddenly.

“Uh,”

“And don’t tell me you’re out of plane tickets.”

“No, uhm,” how do I say this? “Actually, we flew here with his... private jet.”

Jinhee snaps her head to my direction as drops open. “His private jet?!”

“Yes.” I stare at her, a bit confused why she is so surprised. He is the heir of a huge company, why is it weird for him to own a private jet? But to think of it again, I was just as surprised to find him owning a private jet yesterday.

She scurries to sit on the bed. “Oh God why didn’t you tell me? Was it big? Was it luxurious?” but then her excitement turns into a frown. “What was he trying to show you by bringing you here by his jet anyway?”

“It was vast, and yes, it was luxurious.” I frown back at her. “And what do you mean what was he trying to show me? He was just trying to give me, er, comfort. I think.”

“Well the last time I checked, the first class of a common air plane is comfortable enough.” Suddenly the direction of this topic is clear enough to me.

My eyes harden at her. “He wasn’t trying to charm me with his money, if that’s what you’re trying to say.”

“Kyuhyun asked if you had arrived here safely yesterday.” She says abruptly. She keeps changing directions.

“Oh...” my irritation vanishes, and uneasiness forms a lump in my throat. Why didn’t he ask me himself?

Jinhee rises from my bed and pats my thigh gently. “He’s okay. Don’t worry.” She says. “I’m going to take a shower. You too, take a shower and get ready for the breakfast.”

And then she walks to the living area of my suite, but I call her, still half distracted. “Jinhee?”

She stops and turns to me. “Yeah?”

“Please tell me if Kyuhyun says anything to you again, and please,” I eye her hopefully, “Try to accept Hyukjae Oppa. He’s not a bad guy,” he’s sacrificed so much for me, “And he noticed your scowl at him a few days ago, you know.”

Her eyes widen slightly, but she nods slowly and gives me a small smile. “I’ll try.” She shrugs. And then she was gone.

 

We have breakfast in one of the ballrooms in the hotel. Various kinds of breakfast – from Asian traditional breakfast with rice to Western style breakfast, are served on the buffet table in front of us. Hyukjae Oppa is still nowhere to be found.

I scoop up the mashed potato with broccoli onto my plate with scrambled eggs and two pieces of bacons. As I move to take the cutleries, I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders.

“Good morning, sunshine. You look beautiful,” Hyukjae Oppa kisses my cheek from behind. “As always. And you smell like lavender.”

I feel my cheeks heat up as I turn to him.  “Thanks. Where were you?”

I receive another kiss on my cheek. “I was in the gym. Have I told you how lovely you look when you blush?”

“Yes, you have. Stop it, Oppa. People are looking.” I tell him, embarrassed. But Hyukjae Oppa lean in again to kiss my cheek. I give him a stern look.

“That was the last one.” He grins. “For this morning.”

I shake my head as I collect the cutleries onto my plate and head toward the table near the large glass wall. Waiting at our table are Jinhee, Daeyoung Oppa, and... wait. Donghae? He glances at me.

“My tokki!” suddenly he’s rushing to my direction and tackles me into a hug. I almost stumble backward. Geez, doesn’t he realize he’s full of pounds of muscles now?

“Donghae! I’m carrying a plate now!” I squeak.

“Oops,” he releases me and ruffles my hair, grinning as he gives Hyukjae Oppa a smug look. “I suppose you two are together again now. See, Hyukjae? I told you my plans would work their magic.”

Hyukjae Oppa pulls me to the table. “Shut up, idiot. Your plans almost messed up everything.”

 “No, my last plan worked.”

“Your last plan was featuring me.” Daeyoung Oppa butts in.

“You didn’t really cooperate.” Donghae scoffs.

“I did! That was my idea.”

“But it was me who made Hyukjae get the chance to drive Nayoung home from that banquet.” The two boys glare at each other, but it’s more like a playful staring match.

Blush creeps up my neck again. Really, these boys are talking as if I’m not even here.

“Uh, what are you two talking about?” Hyukjae Oppa says finally.

Donghae pats his arm. “My dear cousin, why are you so innocent?”

“What do you mean?” Hyukjae Oppa asks, confused.

“Remember Mr. Yang's banquet? I was only acting drunk that night.”

“What...” His mouth drops open and he blinks, but he closes it again and rubs his temple. “Why am I not surprised?”

“Because you know me so well?” Donghae offers.  Hyukjae Oppa rolls his eyes at his cousin’s antics.

“Or because he knows you’re sneaky.” Daeyoung Oppa says. Donghae hurls a piece of french fries at him.

I glance at Jinhee to find her looking at the three boys and then me, her eyes filled with amusement. I shrug at her. Well this is how I went through my teenage years with them.

Through the glass wall, we get the best view of the beach. People starts to flood in. A lot of tourists are already there, walking to and fro at the seashore. The sun is rising higher. It’s beautiful. The light sparkles against the blue sea, and the contrast of the navy color of the water and the off-white color of the sand makes it all even more breathtaking. It feels good to look at such view in a relaxing morning.

“This is heaven.” Donghae sighs contently.

“It’s beautiful.” I murmur.

“Yeah,” Donghae whistles suggestively, “Beautiful.”

Hyukjae Oppa and Daeyoung Oppa chuckle, and it hits me that actually Donghae is not talking about the beach. He is talking about the group of blonde girls in bikinis. I turn my head to Hyukjae Oppa and glare at him. He stops laughing.

Donghae catches my glare. “Nah, Hyukjae is not like that.”

“Not like what?”

“He doesn’t drool at girls in bikinis, or at least not so openly.” He shrugs. “There was one time I thought he had turned gay. He never really looked at girls when we were abroad. It was a little scary, you know, considering I had to be with him 24/7 in our dorm in Seattle.” He explains easily.

“Bastard,” Hyukjae Oppa mutters. Despite of Donghae’s words, I grin. He's never looked at any other girls! Hyukjae Oppa raises an eyebrow at me and smirks. “Something funny, Mrs. Lee?”

That slips the grin off my face. The embarrassing incident yesterday suddenly rolls back to my head. I shoot a glare at him even though the temperature of my face is shooting up through the ceiling.

“Mrs. Lee?” Jinhee inquires, and Hyukjae Oppa smiles at her. Jinhee looks a little off-guarded at his smile.

Looking very amused, Hyukjae Oppa leans closer to me and whispers, “Baby. They seem curious. Should I tell them about yester-”

“No!” I whisper back, embarrassed.

“Okay.” He kisses my cheek and whispers again, “It’s just between us, then. I can keep secrets, Mrs. Lee.”

 

 

 

 

 

Hehehehe. Donghae & Daeyoung are here again! What's happened yesterday? Let's see~

Anyway. I'm so haaapppyy you guys liked the last chapter. I really like reading your comments ^^

And by the way, some of you are so considerate of Kyuhyun. I want to give him a girlfriend, but maybe not in this story. I'd like to write a short story for him as the spin off of this story, but I haven't really thought the plot yet. And I'm my other fics are still on-going now so I think it'll be a little later for Kyu :)

Well then we still have a few more chapters to go. I want to write some fluff about the couple. Keep the comments coming, guys ^^