My Happily Ever After

The One That Got Away

White.

Everything is white, I note absently, as I sit in the middle of the room and looking around just so something could distract me from nervousness.

Why is everything so white?

The room is so white. The wallpaper is white, the curtain is white, the couch is white, the vanity is white... and my gown is white. My bridal gown. And the white veil on my head.

Oh my God I’m going to get married.

I try distracting myself again, once again looking around and twisting my fingers even in the confine of the white, lacy wedding gloves.

The room is so white and clean and smells like flowers, and the carpetting is very soft and fluffy. The air is cool and fresh. Of course it’s from the air conditioner, but still. It almost feels like heaven. But if it’s heaven then there will be angels. Where’s my angel?

Where is Hyukjae Oppa? My soon-to-be husband.

My eyes go wide at the thought.

Oh my God. Husband.

I’m going to get married. In a few minutes!

After this marriage I’m going to live with him. I’m going to have to bear his children. Our children. I’m going to have to cook. I can’t cook. I’m going to have to clean the house. I can’t even wash dishes!

What if he doesn’t like my sleeping habits? What if he can’t stand my childishness? What then? What should I do when he is staying up late to work on his paperwork? Should I stay up and wait for him or should I just sleep in our bedroom? Should I make him coffee then? What if he doesn’t like my coffee?

I start to hyperventilate. Again.

“Oh. My. God!” a loud, cheery squeal is heard from the door – a nice distraction for my crowded head, I might add – and I look up at the mirror of the vanity in front of me. A girl in a beautiful, light pink braidsmaid dress is looking at me with eyes wide, her lips forming a wide, satisfied grin. “You look so beautiful!”

I give a nervous smile at her and look at her. As if she’s not very beautiful herself. Im Seyoon is not your everyday chirpy girl. Nope, definitely not. She’s very beautiful. Like, the kind of Greek-Goddess beautiful and making-you-squirm-in-self-consciousness beautiful.

Hyukjae Oppa had introduced her to me a few weeks ago when we were looking for my bridal gown. I was sitting with a few thousand magazines scattering on the floor of my bedroom, busy picking out which dress would be the one I wear for the most important day of my life, when I stumbled upon a very beautiful dress in a bridal magazine. My eyes scanned for the designer of said dress and that’s when the name was once again mentioned. Im Seyoon.

I knew Hyukjae Oppa had once told me that she was a designer, but I didn’t know her dresses would be that magnificent.

Hyukjae Oppa had grinned when I showed him the page of the dress and pointed the name of the designer. He looked somewhat proud of my decision. Then he was phoning her, asking if we could meet somewhere to talk about my bridal dress. Hyukjae Oppa said she’d just arrived in Seoul a few days before so we could talk directly to her. She said she could, and so we did.

The thing is, we met her in a hospital room.

“Appendicitis,” she had smiled brightly after our introduction, when I asked her why she was there. “I should’ve been working on the debute of one of my boutiques in here, but here I am, laying on a hospital bed in a stupid hospital gown.” She had giggled, “It really is a pain in the .”

My heart fell when I saw her. She was just so pretty. Even in her pale state, her face bared from make up, she was really beautiful. Her eyes looked just slightly droopy, but the brownish color was still glowing prettily in the frames of her long eyelashes. Her hair was down and glimmering against the sunlight that shone through the window. Hyukjae Oppa had told me she was his best friend ever since they met in America. For a brief moment I found myself swallowed up in jealousy, but later found that it was very hard to dislike Seyoon. She was just so cheery and friendly and all her smiles just looked so heartwarming. She practically radiates the definition of ‘good person’.

Hyukjae Oppa had shaken his head in disapproval and gently scolded her for her carelessness about her health, just like a big brother would to his little sister. Seyoon just scrunched her face and stuck out her tongue at him, telling him that she’s got enough people scolding her about that. Especially her uptight speciment of a doctor (her word, not mine).

I had glanced briefly at the small white board set on the edge of her bed, and read her doctor’s name. Cho Kyuhyun. I had smiled knowingly to myself.

“You’re so beautiful. Oh my God.” Seyoon is repeating breathlessly as she comes closer to me, snapping me out of my reverie. I shake my wandering thoughts off and try to concentrate on her presence. She touches the material of my gown and murmurs so softly I realize I probably shouldn’t have heard it. “Oh God, did I really make this gown? This... Oh my God.”

One thing about Im Seyoon is that she loves to speak her thoughts out loud, unconsciously, like someone nuts (Donghae’s words, not mine). She then looks up at me and says very seriously.

“You look so beautiful in this.”

“Um,” well now she’s making this awkward. “Thank you.”

“Can I take a picture of you in this gown and put it in my boutique for display? This gown is just so... you. It looks really good on you.” she looks in awe.

“Oh, um, alright.”

“Great! Thank you!” she chirps again, looking very much like a five year old getting her cotton candy. Then she pouts, a worried expression falls on her pretty face. “Aw, you’re hyperventilating, aren’t you?”

I only realize I’m hyperventilating when I take and push a shaky breath. “Am- am I...?”

She gasps. “You are! Are you okay? Should I call a doctor? Kyuhyun?”

She’s asking rapidly, producing a smartphone from her small purse. But suddenly she stops the motion, her eyes wide as if she just caught herself doing something wrong. A strange expression passes her face and her fingers pause mid-air from typing a text message to him. She bites her lip and grips tight on her phone.

“No, probably not...” she murmurs softly. Then she strides to the door. “Wait a minute, I’m telling Hyukjae Oppa. Don’t go anywhere!”

And then she’s gone. I blink at the door, not even knowing what to think about her expression just now.

Not even a minute later, my phone goes off on the vanity and I pick up the call without looking at the caller ID.

“Baby?”

“Oppa!” I very nearly cry from relief when I hear his voice.

“Baby are you alright? Why did Seyoon come running up to me saying that I needed to calm you down but not meet you-”

“You’re not allowed to meet your bride before the marriage!” I hear Seyoon’s voice in the background.

“It’s just tradition.” Hyukjae Oppa tells her.

“We shouldn’t break the tradition.” Seyoon replies.

“Says who?”

“Says me.” Donghae’s cheeky voice answers.

Hyukjae Oppa groans. “Why are you here again?”

“Checking up on my soon-to-be-married cousin.” Donghae says, making a mock-sad sob. “Oh my God, time flies so fast, now you’re getting married. I’m tearing up.”

I’m pretty sure Hyukjae Oppa is rolling his eyes. “I don’t need to be checked up.”

“Well, just in case you found it difficult to tie up your bowtie...”

“I can tie my own bowtie, thank you very much. Now can you guys please get out?”

“Who are you calling?”

“Nana.”

“Oh, tell her her favorite fish says hello!”

“You’re going to see her in a matter of minutes.” Hyukjae Oppa points out.

“So? Just tell her I say hello to her.” Donghae insists.

Hyukjae Oppa sounds like he’s refraining himself from hurling something at Donghae’s head, “Donghae says hello.” He tells me gruffly.

“Hello to him, too.” I laugh.

“She says hello to you too.”

“You made the gown for her, Seyoonie?” Donghae asks Seyoon.

“Yes!” Seyoon chirps. “It’s really beautiful on Nana Unnie!”

“I haven’t been to your new boutique, anyway. When will you open it?”

“Well, my plan it will be opened in the next two weeks.”

“Ah. My friend wants to know about the-”

Hyukjae Oppa sighs noisily. “Can you guys please not have your conversation in here?”

“Not quite.” Is Donghae’s smarty reply. A growl that sounds very much like Hyukjae Oppa’s is heard.

“Alright, both of you. Get out.” I hear two muffled voices arguing, and then Hyukjae Oppa shifting, before a very satisfying sound of door being slammed resonates through the line. “Nana?”

“Yes?”

“Oh, you’re still there. I’m sorry I forgot how a handful it was when they’re together. Seriously. How could I- Wait. Are you okay baby?”

“Um,” I fidget with my fingers again. “Do you want the honest answer?”

“Nana,” Hyukjae Oppa sounds a little exasperated, probably after having to listen to the little distractions over there.

“Wait, before I answer, I want to ask you a question.”

“Yeah?” Hyukjae Oppa says. “Ask away.”

“Do you... Would you promise me you’ll stand my every flaw... and everything that I’m lacking of... and everything I don’t have... for the rest of your life?”

I find myself crossing my fingers tightly, waiting for his answer, but what comes out of the other line is his light chuckle. I frown.

“What?”

“I’m going to have to say that in front of the priest, baby. So we can lawfully get married.”

“I want you to answer it to me now.”

I can hear him smile as a content sigh comes from him. “You’re flawless to me, Kang Nayoung. But yes, I promise you I will.”

And suddenly, all my worry and anxiety are gone, replaced by the warmth he gives me through his voice. Because I know Lee Hyukjae is a man of his word.

 

The whole room’s attention is on me as I walk slowly down the aisle. I feel my fingers trembling and my grip on the wedding bouquet goes even tighter. The wedding march is in the background. Appa lands a warm hand on mine as I circle it through the bow of his arm. He looks down at me with very concerned eyes, smiling softly. I feel tears brim in my eyes.

My mother is not here. Only Appa. He’s been the only parental unit that I have and has been very supporting to me. Appa had looked a little hesitant when Hyukjae Oppa told him he’d wanted to marry me. Appa had glanced at me with a worried facial expression, his eyes surrounded with worried crinkles right after Hyukjae Oppa dropped the information on him. I could almost see what was in his thought.

This man wants to marry my daughter. My only daughter. Is he good enough to have my little girl accompany him through his life?

I had grabbed my father’s hands and told him through my eyes.

Yes, Appa. I promise you he’s the most perfect man a person could ever be for me.

And then he’s giving us our approval, nodding a stiff nod at us.

Appa squeezes my hand, giving me so many memories of my childhood with him. I’ve always been a daddy’s daughter, and I am so proud to have been one.

I look around us and catch the sight of Jinhee, standing side by side with Daeyoung Oppa. I can’t help but smirk at this. Jinhee looks like she’s wiping her eyes and sends me a solemn smile. They’ve finally admitted that they’re together exactly two weeks ago. Jinhee told me she didn’t even know when it started, but she found that she fell for my brother’s protective side and as cheesy as it was; wanted to be protected by him as well. My brother has been too focused on his work and protecting me that he’d missed Jinhee’s charm on him. But eventually he noticed her, and it just makes me unbelievably happy to have my two favorite persons be happy together.

My brother gives me a small smile. After this, he won’t be the one to protect me anymore. His best friend would. Knowing this makes me want to tear up so much, and I know Daeyoung Oppa wants to cry too. But knowing my brother, he has too much of a man pride to cry for having to let loose of his little sister. I let a small, almost inaudible laugh at this and just grin at my brother. He smirks at me and gives me a thumb up.

The aisle feels like it’s endless when you’re at your own wedding, someone had told me that. But I didn’t think it would feel this long. I don’t know if it’s just me or the altar really is that far away, but it feels exactly like that. I turn my head to see behind me to find three little flower girls in tow. One of them is Chaeri, and she waves a little hand at me. Her grin is wide and her cheeks are rosy. I can tell she’s enjoying dressing up like a little princess as she is now wearing a small tiara on the top of her head and a pretty, tutu-like gown. I smile at her then look back to the front.

I see the Lee’s. Mr. Lee is sitting on his wheelchair, and his wife is standing behind him with her hands on the handle of the wheelchair. They’re both looking at me with hopeful smiles. Then I notice Sora Eonni waving her hand a little at me, her other hand is slipped into her husband’s.

Donghae is arm in arm with the same Chinese girl as the one I saw when we were at Jeju. He’s smirking and nodding his head at me. Be a good wife to my cousin, Tokki. I see the message from his eyes. I smile and nod back at him.

Then, standing beside them is Lee Jinseok, Hyukjae Oppa’s grandfather. His face looks rather indifferent as he observes me.

I remember the day I met Hyukjae Oppa’s family when they came back from Seattle. Mr. Lee had been treating me like my own father, Mrs. Lee had been the warmest form of mother I’ve had in the last six years of my life, and the chairman had looked as stony as a statue.

I was shocked when he asked me about my background. Apparently he had forgotten his attempt to crush my future with his grandson a few years ago.

“This is Kang Nayoung, Harabeoji. The daughter of the man whose Company you brought down. The student whose tests you failed a few years ago. How can you not remember her?” Hyukjae Oppa had growled, gripping tightly on his cutleries that his knuckles turned white. His grandfather had shot him a glare I’m sure he is used to, and I have to place a placating hand on his arm to prevent him from storming out of the dining room. Hyukjae Oppa sighed and turned to look at me, his eyes both angry and apologetic.

His grandfather, fortunately, hadn’t been disapproving when Hyukjae Oppa introduced me to his family as his future wife. Hyukjae Oppa said that his grandfather probably wouldn’t even care who he was marrying, and that he just needed a great-grandchild to take over his Company.

But I somehow had the impression that the man actually cared for his grandson and he wanted the best for him, if his scrutinizing eyes on me were any indication. He obviously wanted his grandson to have the best woman for a wife. He probably just couldn’t show it in the right way.

Walking a little closer to the altar, I see my bestest friend, a small smile pressed on his lips. I bite my lip and feel the tears weighing more heavily down on my eyes. I don’t think I can ever express my gratefulness enough to him. He’s been the one that set me back upright. He’s been the figure that prevented me from falling back down and telling me to stay strong. I don’t think a thank you would ever be enough, so can I just wish him the best of everything? I wish he’d get the best career, the best health, the best woman. He will one day figure out that I’m not the one for him, and when he comes to the realization, he will be laughing at the memories of our dramatic moments. Because yes, Cho Kyuhyun is just that kind of person.

He beams at me and I know that it’s sincere. He’s happy for me.

Before I know it, I’ve stopped and am only two steps away from my prince. Suddenly my heart slams against my chest as if it’s trying to rip its confines off, and I feel butterflies creating much bigger havoc than it usually did in my stomach.

Oh my God, here I am. Finally getting married to the man I love.

A hand appears in front of me, offering to help me climb the stairs leading to the altar. I look up at the owner of the hand to find my future husband smiling down gently at me. My heart thuds louder in my chest. Oh my. He looks so perfect. His hair is styled and he’s wearing a black tux, his bowtie in place. I literally can’t take my eyes off him.

Did Cinderella feel all these chaos in her stomach when she looked up at her prince? Did she?

I slowly let go of my father’s arm and he gives my hand his last encouraging squeeze. I take Hyukjae Oppa’s hand as my father pats his arm, murmuring a ‘Take care of my little princess’ to him. Hyukjae  Oppa had never looked this sure when he nods his head at my father.

I walk up the steps of the small stairs, careful with my dress, and finally stand right beside Hyukjae Oppa in front of the priest. Hyukjae Oppa leans down slightly to me.

“Words can’t describe how beautiful you look to me right now.” He whispers softly, and a light kiss is pressed against my temple, making everyone echo an ‘Aww’ in unison, before stifled laughter are heard. I feel my face heat up. The priest clears his throat, apparently more embarrassed than Hyukjae Oppa, and starts the prayer.

Then, so much faster than I thought, he is speaking the vow for Hyukjae Oppa.

“Lee Hyukjae,” he says, his voice stern booming through the microphone. “Will you have this woman, Kang Nayoung, to be your wife, your friend, your faithful partner and your love from this day forward. In the presence of your family and friends, vow to be her faithful partner in sickness and health, in good times and bad, in joy and sorrow. Promise to love her unconditionally, to support her in her goals, to honor her and respect her, to laugh with her and cry with her, and cherish her for as long as you both shall live?”

Hyukjae Oppa nods his head resolutely and answers. “I will.”

The priest smiles and turns to look at me. “Kang Nayoung. Will you have this man, Lee Hyukjae, to be your husband, your friend, your faithful partner and your love from this day forward. In the presence of your family and friends, vow to be his faithful partner in sickness and health, in good times and bad, in joy and sorrow. Promise to love him unconditionally, to support him in his goals, to honor him and respect him, to laugh with him and cry with him, and cherish him for as long as you both shall live?”

I gulp, turning to stare up into Hyukjae Oppa’s eyes as I feel my throat closing up and my eyes swim with tears. The smile Hyukjae Oppa sends me is so assuring. I take a shaky breath and let it out slowly. “I will.”

And then we’re slipping the rings onto each other’s finger, a pair of beautiful golden bands with a single diamond on each. My hand is trembling violently as I offer my hand to Hyukjae Oppa and he gets a gentle hold of it. I grab his hand, not quite trusting my legs to keep me upright.

“I now pronounce Lee Hyukjae and Kang Nayoung to be husband and wife.” The priest then says to Hyukjae Oppa, stifling a smile. “Lee Hyukjae, you may now kiss your bride.”

Hyukjae Oppa turns his body to me and I do the same. Only I am trembling and my legs are threatening to give up on me. He reaches up to cradle my face in his hand.

“Hey wifey,” He says softly, searching my eyes. I look up at him with a slight crease of my forehead.

“Hey, h-hubby?” it comes out as a question again.

“You okay?”

I nod my head quickly. “Yeah, just... just... still nervous...”

“No need to be nervous baby.” He takes my hand with his other hand, looking at me solemnly. “Do you trust me?”

At this, I don’t even have to think about it. “I trust you.”

He smiles. “Then that’s all I need.”

And then his lips are on mine, pressing gently as I feel his arm slide around my waist and holding me there. One of my hands moves on its own to cup the back of his neck and my other hand holds his bicep through my glove and his layers of clothes. Finally I feel the dam break. Tears of happiness flow freely on my cheeks and he rubs his thumb on my cheek, soothing me, still kissing me.

Everyone starts murmuring in amusement because we’re kissing a little longer than we should have been, but Hyukjae Oppa only laughs into my mouth and pulling away only slightly for me to take a deep breath, before kissing me again.

I, of course, don’t feel the need to protest my husband. After all, this is my version of happily ever after.

After everything we went through, the good moments, the storms; this is what I call my happily ever after. Even though probably not literally like those fairy tales, because, well, what is life without storms, right? But I believe it would be so much easier, as long as he’s there to face the storms with me.

I can only imagine how flushed my face is when he finally pulls away. “Finally, right?” he says breathlessly.

“Finally.” I repeat with a grin. My fingers the hair on the back of his head gently as I tell him softly, “I love you, Lee Hyukjae.”

“I love you too,” a boyish grin that I love so much is painted on his face. “Lee Nayoung.”

THE END

 

 

 

 

Oh my Goooosshhh finally one of my stories is completed! It's been a loooooonggg story. Well guys this is the final. Thank you for all of you who has supported me throughout this story, to the silent readers and the readers that have been actively commenting on the chapters. Thank you for spending your time reading this story. I'm sorry for everything this story is lacking of, but I've really tried to give you all the best story I could make. I'm sorry for the grammatical errors or the parts that are hard to understand.

Honestly, I feel like there is so much more to tell in this chapter but I just don't know what. Well, I hope you like this story and I hope the ending is to your liking. Thanks again for reading! For Kyuhyun's sequel, I'm in the middle of writing it now. The female character for Kyuhyun is already mentioned in this chapter, the supposed '70 year old grandfather' heehee. You can guess it. Hyukjae and Nana's after marriage life will be involved in the story too. Support the story! I'll try to post the link to the sequel soon.

Alright this is the end for The One That Got Away. Thank you guys for reading and tell me what you think of this story. See ya! ^^

 

-sparklingjewels-