SEVEN

The One That Got Away

 

Third Person’s POV

 

“Kyuhyun? You’re here?” Jinhee lifts up her brows looking at the man walking out of Nayoung’s office. The latter sighs.

“Yeah, I just arrived minutes ago.” Kyuhyun answers tiredly, almost yawning as he stretches his arms. When Jinhee tries to take a peek from the gap between the door and him he quickly closes the door shut. “She’s asleep.”

“Oh,” she takes a step back. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to get a blanket from my car for her.” Kyuhyun tells her, walking towards the elevator and playing with the car remote keys in between his fingers. Jinhee walks by his side.

“Is she okay now? Does the stomach cramp get better?”

“Stomach cramp?” Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow, confused. But then he catches up pretty quickly. “O-oh, that. Yeah, she’s okay now. She just needs rest.”

Jinhee nods in understanding, pressing the ground floor button. “Right. She was crying so hard earlier.” She mumbles. “Does it feel that bad?”

“Well, I don’t know. I don’t get PMS’s.” He says between his wide yawns.

“Yah!” Jinhee slaps his arm, laughing at his silliness. “Hey Doctor Cho, I think you need rest, too. You look like a panda with those eye bags.” 

Kyuhyun rubs his eyes tiredly. “I didn’t sleep last night. Today’s surgery was pretty complicated and I needed to read countless journals for it.”

“Aww, don’t push yourself, Kyu.” She pats his shoulder lightly. “Go home now. I’ll take care of her.”

“No, I’m fine.” He yawns again. “Maybe just a little nap and I’ll be fully charged.”

Knowing no one can argue him if it’s about Nayoung, Jinhee surrenders. “How about I get you coffee? My treat.”

Kyuhyun beams. “Americano, please.”

“Can you at least thank me first?” Jinhee laughs.

“Ah, yes. Thank you, Seo Jinhee.”

“Psh, you don’t even mean it.” She scoffs, rolling her eyes when Kyuhyun laughs in amusement.

The elevator comes to a stop and they step out of it, separating their ways. Kyuhyun is already a few meters away when he shouts out loud about not adding too much sugar and cream to his Americano, much to her embarrassment. That other best friend of hers is just unbelievable sometimes.

“Jinhee-ah,” she hears someone calling her name. Turning around she finds Minkyung, her co-worker, looking hasty on those killer heels.

“Oh, Minkyung-ah.” She flashes her smile.

“Hey, I think Nayoung left this in the meeting room.” Minkyung hands her something rectangular in metallic casing; a phone, to be exact.

“Again?” Jinhee takes the phone.

“Yeah, she’s being clumsy again, I guess.” Minkyung comments; she had come to recognize Nayoung’s old habit of leaving things everywhere just keeps carrying on, even until now.

“That girl. I should really be teaching her a good lesson about- oh wait,” Jinhee takes a good look at the phone, carefully observing it before looking back up at Minkyung in confusion. “This is not hers. Her phone color is white.”

“No, that’s hers – I mean, who else does set her photo as their phone wallpaper?”

Jinhee frowns as she presses the unlock button, and instantly the black screen lights up, revealing Nayoung’s smiling figure as the standby screen. But Nayoung isn't a type of girl who sets her own photo as her phone wallpaper. Her wallpapers are always the pictures of nature and what not.    

Jinhee slides her thumb across the screen to unlock it, a requirement of password shows up.

“It’s set on password.” She tells Minkyung.

Another strangeness; Nayoung never likes to set her phone on password.

“I’m forgetful, I’m afraid I’ll get my phone locked forever without knowing how to unlock it back. Jinhee clearly remembers Nayoung said that when she suggested her to put a password in her gadgets, just in case she left them somewhere and the important document files in it will be hacked or something.

Minkyung shrugs. “Just bring it to her and ask whether it’s really hers or not.”

“Alright.” Jinhee nods, stuffing the phone into her pocket in the process. “Hey, are you going to the cafeteria?”

“Yes, I’m starving to death with those piling up papers.” Minkyung cringes.

“Oh, I’m going there, too.”

“Then let’s go, I can’t waste another minute!” Minkyung literally drags her along, laughing.

 

Hyukjae decides to just speed-walk to the receptionist, not wanting to run and draw people’s attention at the lobby, despite his heart that thumps exceptionally hard against his ribcage.

So many scenarios flash through his mind and they are not good at all. For the umpteenth time today, his nerves get tensed up.

“Excuse me,” Hyukjae says to the woman behind the receptionist desk, and right away, the latter smiles a thousand watt smile at the sight of the charming business man in front of her.

“Yes, sir?”

“Uhh, I’m from LJH Corporation. About half an hour ago I came here for a meeting and-”

“Yes, President Lee. Is it about the meeting earlier?”

“I left something at the meeting room.” He says impatiently. “Has someone found it and passed it to you?”

“No.” She shakes her head. “But I’ll check if you want.”

“Please.” Hyukjae nods.

“Wait a moment,” she makes a call to one of the speed dial numbers in the telephone book. “Hello, Mrs. Yoon. Have you done clearing up the sixth floor’s meeting room? Yes, the one that’s just used.” The receptionist pauses. “Oh. I just want to ask if there is something – wait, I’ll ask to him – Sorry but what did you leave, sir?”

“A phone.” He answers, subconsciously fidgeting with his fingers.

“A phone. Someone left his phone at the meeting room. Did you find it?” She repeats to someone at the other line. “What? A notebook? No, he said he left a phone. Are you sure there’s nothing else that’s left other than the notebook?”

Hyukjae’s heart rate increases if that is even possible. His lips looking pale and his hopes immediately drop at the next response spilled by the receptionist.

“No? Okay then. Thank you, Mrs. Yoon.” Before the receptionist can set the telephone down, Hyukjae reaches out and grabs her wrist in reflex. “S-sir?”

“Can I go to the meeting room now? I think I should make sure about it again. It’s really important – there are... there are document files in it and I need it now.” He says it so quickly that the receptionist nearly can’t make it out; his nervousness is taking the best of him.

“O-okay. Wait a sec.” She nods, once again calling to the number she dialed earlier. After she talked about it to the sixth floor’s head of cleaning service, eyes keep glancing at Hyukjae in slight dread, she says to Hyukjae. “You can go to the sixth floor now, sir.”

“Alright, thanks.” With that, Hyukjae storms off to the elevator. Knowing his phone is no longer there makes him jittery. He doesn’t even bother to decelerate his steps when the elevator he’s running to closes down. “Wait!”

Someone presses the hold button, and in a swift motion Hyukjae has slipped in.

“Thanks.” Hyukjae says, spontaneously, as he tries grasping for his breath with hands planted on his knees.

“It’s alright.” The guy standing beside him answers. Silently looking at the poor, hyperventilating Hyukjae the guy asks, “Which floor?”

At the sound of the familiar voice Hyukjae stands up straight abruptly, his breath is caught in the middle his throat once again, making the guy raises an eyebrow.  

For the first time in the minutes Hyukjae turns his head to the side, almost getting a massive heart attack when his eyes are set on the guy.

Cho... Kyuhyun? Hyukjae alarms himself inwardly.

“Sorry, is there something wrong?” Kyuhyun’s voice rings like a deafening bell in his ears after a few seconds passed.

Hyukjae quickly snaps out. “S-sixth floor, please.” His voice shaky and croaked from the shock.

Fixing the grey, thick blanket in his arms, Kyuhyun does what the man gestured him to do and steps out of the elevator when it stops at the third floor, not without nodding a polite nod to Hyukjae.

Third floor. Hyukjae blinks, making a mental note in his head with slight disbelief. When the elevator continues riding up a pondering expression is fixed on his face. He is now thinking about how much of a difficulty he has to take for today.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. I really have no idea about the phone you left.” The cleaning service says yet again apologetically, earning a low, frustrated growl from Hyukjae. He sweeps his eyes once again over the meeting room, making sure he doesn't miss the sight of a device he had.

“It’s metallic and the screen dimension is about five inches. The documents are very vital and I can’t possibly lose-” Hyukjae stops himself from blabbering any words further and bows to her, realizing he was a bit demanding when she truly doesn’t know anything about what he’s talking about. He’s just frustrated. “I’m sorry.”

“No, President Lee.” She shakes her hands vigorously. “I’m sorry I couldn’t find what you’re looking for. But I hope you’ll find it fast. And if someone passes it to me I’ll give it back to you as soon as possible.” 

“Thanks.” Hyukjae smiles meekly and turns around, a huge imaginary brick is on his shoulders now.

What’s with today? This is the biggest fail day in his 26 years of life-time. His plans were already ruined, he comes back only to see Nayoung crying again and now he lost his phone for good.

Wait. There’s more.

There’s that Cho Kyuhyun guy in her office.

Hyukjae’s breathing becomes irregular. He recalls Nayoung was stopping at the third floor earlier to get to her office, and so was Kyuhyun.

Standing inside the elevator he stares fixedly at the numbers of floors. A mental war breaks inside his head. Should he go there? But he’s afraid. Today he’s not getting his best luck hence he’s afraid if something he would be seeing will crush him even more.

But eventually he lets curiosity taking the best of him; with trembling hand, he presses the button that will lead the elevator to the third floor.

Whatever happens, happens.

He closes his eyes as he finds hard times calming down his nerves. Quietly he tries getting a grip of himself. What can be happening, right? Dayeoung said he’s just her best friend. That’s all. That’s all.

When the elevator dings Hyukjae stares at what’s ahead of him; a long, endless-looking corridor. Doubtfully he steps out of the elevator into the deserted hallway, making his way to the direction where he saw Kyuhyun walked to earlier.

Hyukjae makes a left turn and immediately he meets an empty secretary desk. That must be belonged to Nayoung’s secretary, he guesses. He takes a glance at his wristwatch; lunch hours.

At least he doesn’t have to be looking creepy standing by her door and being awkwardly watched by her secretary.

Taking another deep breath he inches closer to the door, realizing it is slightly open. But his feet stop curtly. 

He swears he hears someone humming something melodious; their favorite song. And the deep voice doesn’t belong to Nayoung, that’s for sure.

Without him knowing he is already in front of the wooden door and peeking through the little gap that allows him to see enough what’s inside. Enough for him to catch a glimpse of a brown haired guy he sees earlier, holding the girl that means his life in his arms.

Hyukjae feels his heart drops to his feet. There, he watches Nayoung being wrapped in a grey blanket and in Kyuhyun’s arms – looking safe and sound. Her head is rested on his chest as he hums gently to her hair, her hand clutching onto Kyuhyun’s poloshirt tightly.

How he hopes his eyes are just playing tricks on him, how he hopes it’s only his mental breakdown, it’s only one of those cruel, worst scenarios playing in his head.

How he hopes the guy embracing her is him.

But no, it just has to be another guy. Another guy that has replaced his place in Nayoung’s life for years – under the title of a best friend, he names it.

Subconsciously Hyukjae forms his hands into two firm fists, his veins popping out in his pale skin. Not that he’s angry with Kyuhyun or Nayoung. He’s fumed with himself. He’s boiled up with his own stupidity. Why did he choose that terrible choice back then? How could he have the strength to leave her? How could he just unwisely let her slip away from him when he knew it best it would make him lose her?

Oh, back then, he practically didn’t have the chance to even choose – he was jammed between difficult choices. But that doesn’t mean he’s not at fault. That doesn’t stop him from blaming himself.

Silently turning around he feels the tear falling down his cheek. He’s crushed. The sight of her being comforted by another guy hits him with a force of a speeding truck. 

Hyukjae exhales a shivering sigh as he starts walking away, his feet heavy. It’s his fault. He left her. He doesn’t even have the rights to be hurt; he left her.

From what Daeyoung had said, Cho Kyuhyun has been doing great. He’s been nothing but a comfort for her – just like how he used to be.

He decides that he has seen enough. He has gotten the picture of how her future will play out.

And most probably, it won’t involve him in. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hiiii, just like the last update, this weekend I'm struggling as well in the middle of tests and assignments, so sorry for not updating faster! 

Fortunately I have the time to write today, so here's the fresh update :D

Whoops, the phone is now with Jinhee and will be handed in no time to Nayoung. And... Aigoo, Hyukjae had seen the pair together and getting a tad bit emotional. How would things turn out to be? Stay tuned guys~

Anyway, love your comments and subscribes. Thank youuu ^^