TWENTY ONE

The One That Got Away

Third Person’s POV

 

Nayoung didn’t even know how and when they ended up sitting on a wooden bench at a park near her house. She remembers nodding to Hyukjae’s offer to stay with him for awhile, but she loses the part when they walked to this park.

All she could sense on the way here was the fact that this time, Hyukjae is real and he was walking with her in a very comfy silence. It feels entirely surreal but well, this is real.

They are sitting side by side with a proper distance, enough not to suffocate them for being too close to each other. Even though at this time, Hyukjae won’t really be bothered with that matter.

Hyukjae closes his eyes calmly as he leans his back against the back rest. The breezy night air feels good when it hits his face gently. The wind dances with his black-ish brown locks.

He heaves a breath slowly. He’s tired. Very tired. A pair of black, heavy eye-bags are unmistakable under his eyes. Work has been nothing but hell for him. He’s been up for three days straight, he only had 3 or 4 hours of sleep.

Apparently his little mistake for ditching the banquet caused Mr. Yang to criticize the concept Hyukjae had made for their next project up to no end. It was not really fair that Mr. Yang was being sentiment to him just because he didn’t give his speech at the banquet, but who cares. His grandfather wants everything to please his business relative. Which means Hyukjae had to make a total revision, and even he has to change more than half of the concept he’s made for months.

Fortunately, his almost-sleepless effort came to a deal that worths his grandfather’s satisfaction on this afternoon’s meeting. But he still can’t rest, he has to prepare for tomorrow’s meeting with Kangsan Corporation about their upcoming project.

His face flinches a little at the thought of paperworks piling up on his study. He raises his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. He doesn’t really know why he brought Nayoung here, but he just felt like taking her somewhere the moment he saw her standing beside him in front of the vending machine.

In someway, he feels that her presence can loosen up the tightness from work that sometimes chokes his breath. Her presence can ease away the crazy fatigue that continuously acts out in his body. Her presence can make the burdens on his shoulder become bearable. And he’s more than happy to have her right here, right now. Beside him.

Nayoung silently watches him. She notices the great exhaustion from his face. He isn’t trying to express it, but it is just naturally showed up from those eye-bags and pale lips. She takes in the sight of him carefully. Her brows furrow together in worry, she’s never seen him this physically worn out. She obviously doesn’t like the sight.

She takes a carton of strawberry milk they bought earlier and nudges it to him. Hyukjae flutters his eyes open to see her shyly looking away with her hand stretched out, shoving the strawberry milk right in front of his face.

He chuckles and gladly takes it from her hand. “Thanks.” He says as he takes a sip.

Nayoung looks back at him. He is already staring at the starry dark sky. Again, his expression is unreadable. She takes another carton of strawberry milk from the plastic bag for herself and sips on it. This time, it doesn’t taste bitter like the last time she drank it. It tastes sweet now. Really sweet. And Nayoung doesn’t have to ask herself the reason why. She knows it by heart. The reason of the sweetness on her tastebud is currently sitting peacefully by her side and sipping on the identical beverage.

“Sometimes I wonder why people don’t add caffeine into strawberry milk.” Hyukjae mumbles lowly. He scans the list of compositions written on one side of the carton, as if he were seriously wondering about it. “Strawberry milk plus caffeine. I bet it’d be a big blast once it’s introduced to the market.” He nods to his own statement.

Nayoung laughs softly at the silly prediction. “Strawberry milk is mainly consumed by kids, and kids don’t consume caffeine.”

“But I need that beverage so badly.” He whines playfully. Nayoung laughs a bit louder, bringing along a smile to his face. But eventually, his mischievousness grows fainter and his smile starts to change into the forced one. “Actually I was going to drink the beers before you came.”

Nayoung looks at him, wordlessly motioning him to continue. But he doesn’t. She gazes at him for a few seconds in silence until she asks. “Are you tired?” her voice comes out really soft it almost blended with the air.

Hyukjae’s brows twitch slightly. He’s really tired. He feels awfully tired. But it’s the side effect that follows his decision. To take a hold of such a huge corporation is something that he chooses himself. He can’t whine about it. His grandfather wouldn’t let him too.

In the end, he shakes his head ignoring the throb coming from the muscles all over his sore back. “No, I’m not.” He tells her. His voice betrays him since it sounds so croaked despite the answer. But he couldn’t care less. He breaks his eyes from the carton milk and looks up at the dark sky. “How about you?” Hyukjae asks quietly, his eyes still fixed on a star that shines the brightest. “How are you?”

Nayoung is stunned at the question for a few seconds, before just giving him a silent nod. She stares at her lap, her heart beating calmly.

Hyukjae smiles and fiddles with the ends of the carton object in his hand. “Have you been... taking care of yourself?” his question is barely audible.

Nayoung turns her head to him but he is still staring away. A slight pang is still there, deep in her heart. ‘Take care’ were his last words before he left 6 years ago. She swallows the hard lump that slowly forms in . The salty liquid starts moistening the tips of her eyelids.

“Mm.” She nods again. It takes every source of energy in her body to answer this. She knows she’s going to lose it in any given time.

“Glad to hear it.” Hyukjae tugs his lips into a thin smile, before finally turning to her.

Their eyes meet for a moment, it seems like eternity. Their stares are both soft and unbreakable. Silence fills the air, but it feels too serene to be broken.

Whoever says that sometimes silence can voice out more words than verbal interaction, they are absolutely right. Hyukjae’s gaze to her is very soothing and longing. Something in her eyes powerfully pulls a certain string in his heart. He feels his throat hurt as he bites back the threatening emotion inside.

“Have you been fine?” he whispers softly. But the question breaks her.

Her sight becomes blurry in a split second as the tears sting her eyes. She grips on the carton milk for her self control, but it’s getting impossible to get a grip of her emotion. It grows unbearable for each passed second.

She can’t bring herself to answer this one question. She still can feel the hurt, the wound. It still weighs down her chest like mad. She’s been trying her best to hide it but Hyukjae’s question was like a sharp stab. It makes her even more fragile than she already was.

Hyukjae faces her with a sad smile. The silence gives him her answer. Even though he had expected it, it still comes to him like a thunder. It strikes him right on the top of his head.

“You... haven't been fine?” he asks carefully. His heart aches so much to see tears flowing out of her eyes.

Her breath quickens. She wipes the tears with the back of her hands repeatedly but it keeps flowing relentlessly. She doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t want to cry this much in front of him but her sentiment keeps going against her will.

Suddenly she feels a pair of warm, strong arms securing her trembling body. It breaks her rigid facade completely. She doesn’t pry him off or anything, just letting her head to fall limp into his broad chest. Hyukjae rests his chin on the top of her head and his hand rubs her back gently. A drop of tear silently slipped out of his eye when he hears a heart breaking sob escaping .

Hyukjae forces a smile even though no one is looking at him. He takes a shaking breath in. “Pabo,” He mutters, trying to sound scolding. “Why haven’t you been fine? I told you to take care... Weren’t you listening to me?” he pats her back ever so lightly, as if he’s afraid she would break if he puts a little more strength onto it.

Nayoung cries harder, her hands clutching onto his shirt tightly as if he just threatened her he was going to leave again. Her face turns so red from the violent emotion she’s releasing. She bites on her bottom lip so hard that it almost draws blood from the oversensitivity.

Hyukjae tightens his arms around her and sways her from side to side gently. “I’m sorry... I’m so sorry... I’m so sorry...” he tells her repeatedly.

He wants her to hear it wholly, clearly. He wants her to know that he regrets every single mistake that he’s done, both directly and indirectly. Hyukjae pulls away a little and searches for her eyes. His arms are still safely wrapped around her as he holds her gaze with his. Her eyes are bloodshot red and they are still flooded with tears. “What can I... what can I do to make you alright?” he asks.

She shakes her head lightly, diverting her eyes to look down at her lap. Her hands are trembling and her heart beating uncontrollably. Hyukjae cups her cheek gently with one hand to make her face him again. “Nana, look at me.” He says firmly. But Nayoung only turns her head to the side. He heaves out a frustrated sigh. “Kang Nayoung, please. Look at me.”

Finally, Nayoung stares up at him. Hyukjae smiles gently to calm her down. “Now answer me, okay?” he caresses her wet cheek with his thumb affectionately. “What can I do to make you alright? What can I do to make you happy? To make you feel contented?” he observes both her eyes to find the answer.

Hyukjae tries hard not to waver. His heart pounds wildly against his chest. He’s never had such bravery to face this. He’s so afraid of rejections, afraid that her answer would be one word that he’s afraid the most: leave. His whole body would go numb every time he thought of this possibility.

But suddenly the feeling of a great relief washes through his body. Nayoung has her thin arms wrapped around his waist. She mutters one word that he wants to hear the most. One word that will make him do anything to do it himself. That makes him sure of himself that this time, he's not going to mess up. He did it once and he sure as hell wouldn't want to repeat it. Even though she mumbles it almost inaudibly, but it’s more than enough to make his feeling burst into happiness.

Stay.” She says against his chest. She buries her face into his black sweater. “Please, Oppa. Stay. Just stay.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was listening to Super Junior's Dead At Heart and boom! This scene popped into my head. Haha just saying. Sorry if this chapter turned out a bit too lame or cheesy. But anyways I really like that song.

So I hope you like this story ^^