TWENTY FIVE {The Truth - Part 2/2}

The One That Got Away

 

Hyukjae grabbed a fistful of his hair in frustration. A computer desk was sitting in front of him, the lights radiated from the monitor hit his tired face. He’d been clicking away and typing in series of numbers, but none of the attempt could cover up the financial deficiency in LJS.

Maybe his grandfather was right, after all. There probably wouldn’t be another way to save the company aside from monopolizing the four other companies. The deficit was too big. And the fact that Hyukjae only had minimal knowledge about business didn’t help at all.

But he assured himself he still wouldn’t go that way.

“Why do we keep going down at this point?” Hyukjae asked Secretary Park pointing at a chart on the monitor, clueless with this whole business thing. It was another night that Hyukjae asked Secretary Park to help him find the other possibilities other than the way his grandfather obsessed for to save LJS. Surprisingly, despite of his loyalty to the chairman, Secretary Park was willing to help him break the plans.

Hyukjae had talked to his grandfather about not continuing the idea of making another company to go bankrupt for LJS’s own health. Every time he had the chance, he would press the topic over and over again. But his grandfather didn’t give a care about that. Never.

“A few major incidents happened in the middle of the project, like about the location problems and such. We need much more financial back up but what we have now is very limited. But don’t worry, I’ve got it under control, media wouldn’t know.” Secretary Park explained. He looked at the clear exhaustion on the younger’s face. “Young master, it’s late. You need a rest and prepare yourself for the meeting with the four companies tomorrow. You barely slept-”

“Can you give me the whole charts of LJS’s stock fluctuation for the past 5 years?” Hyukjae cut him off.

Secretary Park was confused. Why does he need it? “Uh... Sure. Do you need it for tomorrow morning?”

“Tomorrow morning the meeting will be started, it will be too late. I need it now.” He spoke with a heavy sigh. He closed his eyes as if he just took a really big decision.

Secretary Park frowned, but he complied anyway. He walked to the other side of the office room and printed all the documents Hyukjae demanded. He walked back to put the papers on his desk.

“Is this all?” Hyukjae removed his gaze from the monitor to the papers.

“This is all.” Secretary Park nodded.

Hyukjae seemed to contemplate something before he picked up the papers in his arms. He grabbed the car key on the table and rushed to the door.

Secretary Park followed his quick steps with a baffled and surprised look. He can’t be thinking what I’m thinking. “Young master, where are you going?” he asked quickly before Hyukjae could get into his car.

“I’m still doing it with my way.” Hyukjae’s answer was what Secretary Park had expected.

Secretary Park rounded the car in haste and got into the passenger’s seat. He was a bit panicking, which was rare. “Young master, please think about it again. Chairman Lee wouldn’t be happy with it.”

“I believe the other chairmen from the four other companies wouldn’t be happy as well if they knew the project we're about to start with them is only a mask for us to topple over their companies.” Hyukjae started driving away from the white mansion. He gripped onto the steering wheel. “But they need to know about it anyway.

Secretary Park’s face hardened. “I think you misunderstand me helping you out. You know I won’t cover you up for this, right? I apologize young master, but I don’t plan on betraying Chairman Lee.”

“No need to cover up for me. Let him know. I’m interested to see his reaction if he knows I’m getting in his way.” Hyukjae flashed him a smile, even though the way he stepped on the gas made it clear that he was fuming and worried inside.

“He will be very angry...” Secretary Park muttered.

Hyukjae lowered his eyes a bit. “I know.”

 

Agitation crept inside Hyukjae when he pressed the doorbell beside the tall wooden door. He felt his fingers getting cold. That was the last house he’d be ‘visiting’ that night. He gripped the papers in his hand, unconsciously scrunching it up a bit. Secretary Park was standing behind him, looking at the back of his head with a glint of worries in his eyes. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, young master.

“Hyukjae-ah,” Sunhwa Ahjumma opened the door for him.

“Good evening, Ahjumma.” He greeted, albeit he knew it wasn’t exactly evening anymore. It was half past midnight.

“Nayoung is already asleep now.” She informed.

Hyukjae smiled just at the mention of her name. “I know. But I’m here to meet-”

“Hyukjae?” a deep voice called. Hyukjae looked over Sunhwa ahjumma’s head only to find none other than Nayoung’s father standing behind her. Good timing.

“Uncle,” he bowed down to him. Secretary Park was once again tensed.

The man nodded at him. “Nayoung and Daeyoung are already asleep.”

“Ah, I’m sorry I come here this late, but I'm here to discuss about... something with you. Do I disturb you?”

“Me? Ah, no no. I’m still up anyway. Come in.” Mr. Kang gestured them to get into the house. He patted Hyukjae’s shoulder lightly. “I’ve heard about your father. How is he now?”

Hyukjae gulped. “Worse.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. I hope he will be getting better soon.” The man said solemnly. “Rumor said you’re taking over your father’s position. Is that true?”

“...Yes.”

“Ah, I see.” He nodded. They sat on the black leathery couch in the middle of the living room. “So you’ll be attending tomorrow’s meeting on your father’s behalf?”

Hyukjae smiled. He gripped the papers once again. “That’s why I’m coming here tonight. I want to inform you that... there won’t be any meeting for tomorrow.”

An hour later...

The graphics and charts that showed how LJS had fallen into a deep downfall were scattered on the table. Nayoung’s father was utterly surprised. Actually, the other CEOs that Hyukjae had met beforehand were showing the same reaction; eyes wide and mouth opened agape. They didn’t know the contract they had signed was that manipulative, they didn’t know LJS was this close to bankruptcy and even tried to pull them down together.

Chairman Lee had somehow silenced the media from spreading the company’s falling shares out to the people. But then there sat his own heir, opening up the company’s secret in front of another CEO so the other company wouldn’t get deceived.

After he finished his explanation, Hyukjae just bowed his head down all the time. His hands were clasped neatly on his lap. He was ready to be shouted at, just like how he was with the three other CEOs from the other companies he met before. It was actually a miracle that they agreed not to sue LJS after they knew what the real case was.

“The project is... intended... t-to take over our stocks, you said?” even the calm man stuttered, too taken aback with the fact that they almost got manipulated with the contract.

“I deeply apologize about that.” Hyukjae bowed his head even deeper. He pulled out another paper from his side and handed it to Mr. Kang. The man read the paper quietly and his eyes went big yet again.

CANCELLATION OF CONTRACT, it said. There were two spaces for two signatures below. One of them was already signed by Hyukjae and the other one was still unfilled. It was for Mr. Kang himself as Kangsan’s CEO to sign.

“Actually my grandfather had made four companies to sign contract for the project. But now that the three other companies knew about the manipulation... they chose to sign this cancellation.” Hyukjae gestured to the paper to assure the man that he knew what he was doing.

Mr. Kang lifted his eyes from the paper. He glanced over at Secretary Kim who didn’t utter a word that night, before turning back to Hyukjae. “Hyukjae, you know what you’re getting yourself into, right?” he breathed. Even though he was so angry, he knew Hyukjae wasn't the right one to blame. “You’re cancelling a big project. And LJS can possibly be fined for it.”

Hyukjae looked at him. “I’m fully aware of that, Uncle.”

“Does Chairman Lee even know about this?” he asked. Hyukjae just smiled.

“I doubt that.” He answered. “But don’t worry, I have full authorities to declare this cancellation. Over 50% of the shares in our company are under my name now.”

Mr. Kang looked at him for quite awhile. “Why do you tell me this?”

“Excuse me?”

“Why do you tell me this? How about LJS Construction, then?” he asked. “You’re driving your own family’s company to go down the drain Hyukjae. This contract could’ve helped you if it wasn’t cancelled.”

Hyukjae flinched a bit, but he didn’t waver for his own decision. “You’re right, this contract could’ve helped us. Big time. But I don’t want to take such shortcut. Not when I know the way we’re going to take is illegal. So I think I’ve got to stop this before it becomes our habit to escape every time we get into problems like this.” He explained. “Even though I don’t know how, but I’ll try to find out another way to prevent LJS from bankruptcy. I’m still learning about these business things though.” He said sheepishly.

The man wasn’t surprised by Hyukjae’s answer. He knew what kind of person he was but still, it was such a difficult decision to make. Hyukjae was risking his own company when he was fully aware of the consequences. He could be fined or even sued.

Mr. Kang took the ballpoint Hyukjae offered to him and in a flash, he signed the paper. “This is the authentic proof for the cancellation then. I just hope you won’t regret it.” He said.

“I won’t.” Hyukjae pressed a smile. “To be honest, instead of feeling regret, I’m feeling sorry this has to be ended this way, Uncle.”

“You know,” he patted his shoulder. Unexpectedly a warm smile was painted on his face. “Your parents have taught their son really well. You know it perfectly which way you should take and which you shouldn’t. Business really needs a person like you Hyukjae. Honest and considerate.”

Hyukjae looked at the fatherly figure in front of him. Indeed, Nayoung had his warm eyes and Daeyoung had his sincere smile. For the first time after these past days finally he felt relieved for having someone appreciating his sacrifice.

 

The morning finally came. Hyukjae was clothed in his suit in the meeting room sitting side by side with his grandfather. The situation was tense. They had been waiting there in the meeting room for almost an hour but none of the four companies came. His grandfather felt beyond mortified.

Lee Jinseok gripped a pen in his hand tightly when his other secretary whispered something to him. His face was almost red from anger. Hyukjae knew what she informed to him. The cancellation he’d done the night before. Yet he just stayed seated there, calmly waiting for whatever the response the old man was going to give him.

But to his surprise, his grandfather quickly regained his composure. However, his tone was extremely piercing. “I know you’re inexperienced, but I didn’t know you’d be this stupid.” Everyone in the meeting room heard what he said, but Hyukjae wasn’t ashamed. He knew he was in the right. He saw his grandfather clenching his jaw. “Lee Hyukjae, I really have the urge to disown you right here, right now.”

Hyukjae gulped hard, his heart beating fast.

“But you’re lucky I only have two grandsons. One of them is you and the other one is more useless than you. I have no choice but to inherit this company to you. Even though you’re being a brainless, imprudent brat right now.” He turned his head to Hyukjae sharply, his eyes dripping with ice. “But I’ll make sure you know this is counted as strike one.”

Hyukjae lifted up his head. Suddenly fear covered his body. S-strike one? What does that even mean?

Still keeping his eyes to Hyukjae, the old man ignored the scared look on his grandson’s face as he spoke, “Arrange a flight for this kid in the next two months to America and keep this problem from the media.”

Hyukjae was stunned. “H-Harabeoji-”

“If I were you I wouldn’t have dared to talk anymore.” Lee Jinseok shot at him.

Something snapped in Hyukjae. He stood up from his seat finally gathering his courage to glare back at his grandfather. “No, that’s enough. Stop controlling me, Donghae, my father... just stop controlling us at all! Stop trying to overpower our lives!”

Everyone was shocked with the sudden outburst. “Young master-”

“I’m seriously tired of this!” he screamed. “You’re crazy over superiority, but just so you know, I’m tired of always being a puppet, moving as the way you wanted me to and comply to your every word! I’ve got my childhood ruined with the whole advanced studies you shoved to me but now I know it should end here. Because I’m just freaking tired!”

“Young master!”

“Let him.” Lee Jinseok lifted his hand to stop the bodyguards from pulling Hyukjae out of the meeting room. “I think this kid really wants to meet his consequences. Fine, Hyukjae. You begged for it.”

Hyukjae sneered sarcastically. “Nonsense. Shut it. I’m going home, Harabeoji.” He turned his back to him and started walking towards the door when his grandfather talked rather loudly.

“Student Kang Nayoung,” Hyukjae stopped immediately. He froze. “17 years old, a Seoul International’s senior year student, a straight A student and a significant candidate for Seoul University’s scholarship. I heard she’s after the design major. But actually what interested me the most is the fact that she’s Kang Myungshik’s daughter.” The old man said calmly. ”You know Hyukjae, one of the CEOs you secretly met last night?”

Hyukjae took a deep breath. He turned back around to face his grandfather. “What do you want?” he gawked.

“She’s someone that makes you think without using your brain. What is she to you, Hyukjae-ah? Is she that important to you? Why didn’t you introduce her to your family?” he was satisfied when Hyukjae noticeably fisted his hands. His composed face abruptly turned cold. “But don’t. Don’t even bother to bring her to us. Just go to US and focus on your study.”

“You’re sick.” Hyukjae spat inaudibly.

“Or else,” Lee Jinseok continued, “she won’t grasp her future.”

Hyukjae felt his heart drop. No. Not her future. To be a designer was her biggest dream. She had been forcing herself more than her physical capacity for it. That wasn’t going to be wasted.

Hyukjae said through gritted teeth, “I won’t let that happen.”

“Oh son, I don’t know why but sometimes I think you forget what things I’m capable of.” His grandfather scoffed. “Go to America and think of nothing but your studies there. The decision is yours. You’re smart if you take it.” He scowled at him. “But if you break it, you know you break her as well.”

 

 

Hyukjae groans as the pounding in his head worsens. He opens his eyes, beads of cold sweat forming on his forehead. He finds himself face to face with the pile of paperwork and a screen saver of his laptop. He is once again pulled out of his mental break down.

It’s still fresh in his mind what had happened, and it seems like it can’t stop haunting him. Hyukjae was literally jammed. None of the choices seemed better, but he had to choose one of them. And eventually he chose what his grandfather wanted; to leave to America. Because the last thing he wanted was to make him fail Nayoung’s dream.

As the compensation, he made his grandfather promise him that he wouldn’t lay a finger on either Nayoung or her family.

But apparently Hyukjae was too gullible to trust him. A few months after he left, his grandfather came up with another plan and finally saved LJS by toppling over the four companies, for good. Even until now, Hyukjae still doesn’t know how he did that since he had warned the CEOs not to sign any contract with the chairman again. But the tables were already turned. Kangsan and the other three companies were getting really close to bankruptcy at the moment. Once again, it was all just to save LJS.

Since then he knew the decision to leave was the worst one that he made. The first few months getting enrolled in a business boarding school in America, he received frequent emails from Nayoung every day. His heart always clenched when he saw how longing her messages were, yet he never had the guts to even type a reply for her. But at one moment she stopped emailing him completely, and that was when he knew something was off.

Worried, he pleaded to Secretary Park to help him find out what was going on in Seoul, or to be more precise, with Nayoung. He was on his semester test when Secretary Park informed him;

“Mr. And Mrs. Kang divorced a week ago.” Just the words were able to set him off. Hyukjae knew how broken up she was getting.

“Please... arrange a flight to Seoul.” Hyukjae remembers the sentence came out choppy from his mouth. He just wanted to get where Nayoung was and soothe her. He wanted to be there to wipe her tears, to tell her everything was going to be okay. He saw hesitation on Secretary Park’s eyes. “I-I’ll just watch her from afar, I promise. Just to make sure that she's alright. I won’t let Harabeoji know my presence there.” He stuttered, his tone getting higher. He was frustrated and worried.

“But young master, what if Chairman Lee-”

“I DON’T CARE! CALL FOR THE FLIGHT NOW!!”

It was as if Hyukjae couldn’t remember why he even agreed to go to America in the first place. His head was too clouded with depression. But it was a wrong move. He should’ve cared with the consequences.

Of course, Secretary Park was thinking far more considerately. He knew the chairman would somehow come to know about it sooner than what they thought, and defiantly he wouldn’t be happy if he knew Hyukjae left the semester test just to see Nayoung. And Hyukjae’s failing tests just told him everything.

When Hyukjae came back from Seoul he was greeted by another thunder. It was the fact that his grandfather had failed Nayoung on every test she took for universities. Really, he had his ways.

“I told you I’m capable to do this, Lee Hyukjae. All of this depends on you, whether or not you want to make it difficult. I need a heir for my company, and I think you'll fit the position. But not when you're all distracted.” Was what he said when Hyukjae ran to his office. “I just despise everything and everyone that gets in my way.

 

Hyukjae shakes his head to clear his mind off those thoughts again. He promises he has learned everything. The consequences always gave him a big slap across his face.

Trying to save the other companies, he had to leave Nayoung. Trying to soothe her from the break down, he had to see Nayoung losing her dream. Everything he's done had gotten its consequence.

He doesn’t want to make another ‘mistake’. He always does every single thing very carefully from then on.

He traces his fingers on the screen saver on his laptop monitor. It was Nayoung’s picture, she was smiling brightly on the photo with her hand showing a victory sign beside her face. Slowly, a smile pulled the corners of his lips too as he watched her face intently.

He wants to keep that smile on her face. He’s going to make it happen himself.

 

 

The next chapter we'll be back to present ^^