THIRTY SIX

The One That Got Away

Third Person’s POV

Nana looks at her reflection on her full-length mirror; the grin spread on her face so wide it could probably connect South Korea and Japan. She observes her sundress, and for the millionth time contemplates whether it’s good enough on her or not. After all, it takes her a good 45 minutes to pick one of her sundresses to wear for their trip, before finally her eyes were settled on the white sundress that reaches just slightly above her knees. She puts it on with the speed of lighting, but careful enough not to crumple it up. She wants to look good. She wants to look gorgeous for Hyukjae.

And speaking of Hyukjae, he’s downstairs and has been waiting for at least one and half an hour just for her to get ready. Nana giggles at this and hurries herself to get her pair of gladiator sandals. She’s put on some light makeup and brushed her hair dry and let it flow down her shoulders and back in waves. She feels giddy about Jeju Island, about the beach, and of course, about her Hyukjae Oppa. One more inspection in her mirror and she storms out of her room with her matching white purse slung over her shoulder.

Hyukjae is putting on his watch on his wrist when she descends the stairs, his back in her direction. He’s clad in a button down shirt with a pair of black jeans and dark brown loafers completing the view. She smiles at his white shirt; it goes very well with the color of her sundress. Hearing her footsteps on the stairs, he spins his body to see her.

“Wow,” he blinks two times, taking an appreciative once over at her. “Sometimes I forgot how stunning you look in sundresses... I mean, not that you usually don’t without them, but...” Hyukjae immediately realizes his awestruck stammer and decides to stop making himself look stupid. He looks at her in the eyes. “Baby, you’re so gorgeous.”

“Thanks,” Nana feels the blush creep up her face. She looks at the way his hair is styled up and finds it hard to determine which hair style is actually best on him; his bed hair, this styled up hair, or his dark hair covering his forehead in messy locks. “You look gorgeous yourself. Without the sundress, of course.”

He grins and offers an arm to her. “Now my lady, let me take you to the world’s most wonderful, amazing journey ever.” He says, intentionally making his voice deeper and huskier. She giggles and links her arm through his, letting him lead their way to his wide Audi in her driveway.

When they arrived at the airport, three men dressed in black suits were already waiting for them, bowing in unison as Hyukjae stepped out of the car. Hyukjae opens her door for her and helps her step out of her seat, handing the car keys to one of the men.

Nana looks at them and nods her head awkwardly, noticing one of the men as the scary guy she was so familiar with. Secretary Park. Her reflexive response at the sight of the man is still the very same as her reaction a few years ago every time she met him; she scoots closer behind the protection of Hyukjae’s back.

Apparently her fear of Secretary Park’s frowning face and too deep voice is still there. She internally wonders how her reaction would be when she meets Hyukjae’s grandfather. As far as she can remember, the man is even scarier than Secretary Park.

“Good morning, President Lee,” Secretary Park greets him as his eyes shift to Nana’s direction in a way that she can’t comprehend, “Miss Kang.”

Nana unconsciously grips Hyukjae’s hand tighter, acknowledging the greeting by nodding her head again. In contrary to her reaction, Hyukjae looks very calm and composed, he even manages to be authoritative as he talks with Secretary Park. Nana feels a little proud at how Hyukjae has grown up to be such a competent business man; Secretary Park even addresses him as ‘President Lee’ and not ‘Young master’ like the way he used to.

After the little talks about some things she doesn’t understand – about re-confirming to the tower or something – Secretary Park dismisses himself, leaving the two men with them. One of the men looks much friendlier by throwing smiles every now and then, while the other one looks just as stiff as Secretary Park. Hyukjae asks them a few questions before they lead them to the direction of an unfamiliar side of the airport. Nana looks around, it doesn’t seem like they’re heading to the domestic terminal departure like she normally goes to every time she goes to Jeju Island or any other domestic destinations.

When they begin to walk down a foreign corridor, Nana tugs Hyukjae’s hand. “Where are we going?”

“To the airfield. This is the VIP access to get there.” He explains.

They take a left turn to a smaller corridor that is surrounded by glass walls, and she can eventually see the enormous airfield outside. The planes with various sizes from various airlines are lined up. At the end of the corridor is a door that leads them outside, and one of the men opens the door for them. Immediately the deafening, buzzing sounds of machines coming from the planes surround them. Nana looks at her surrounding, fascinated. She feels so small compared to all these gigantic planes.

“This way, sir.” The man with friendlier face says, leading them to a small plane that’s parked nearby. Nana catches a familiar silver logo on the tail of the white airplane; LJS Corp. is written boldly under the logo. She gasps. Oh God. It’s not just a small plane – it’s a private jet!

She can barely hide the amazement in her face as Hyukjae pulls her closer to the jet. They stop just before the stairs that lead them into the plane, Hyukjae releasing her hand from his to place his hand on the small of her back. He tells her to step up the stairs with him following behind.

She can hear her jaw hitting the floor of the plane the moment she steps into the cabin. She looks at the interior of the jet, wide eyed. There are six seats in total, lining up on both the sides, leaving a wide space for people to walk in the middle. The seats are wide and leathery; they have armrests and headrests that make them look comfortable enough to be a massage chair. The floor of the cabin is covered in soft, light brown carpeting. The seats have the color of cream while the rest of the cabin is crisp white. Each two chairs are facing each other, and in the middle of the chairs is a shiny, wooden table. She doesn’t miss the sight of 17’’ LCD attached between the seats and two flutes and a bottle of champagne on the mahogany table. She shakes her head a little to snap herself out of the amazement.

“We’re going to Jeju by this?” she asks after finally recovering from her dazed moment, her eyes still on her surroundings.

Hyukjae stands behind her, smiling when she turns to him. “Yeah.”

“But this is a Company property.”

“And we’re using it for a business trip.” Hyukjae grins, and finally the hideous, amazed expression on her face is wiped out with a small laugh. Oh right. She almost forgot that this is actually a business trip.

Accidentally looking past Hyukjae’s shoulder, her laugh halts abruptly at the sight of Secretary Park’s face behind him. She gulps, feeling the color fading from her face as she pokes Hyukjae at his ribs. Hyukjae raises his eyebrows at her before turning around. Oh.

“Yes?” Hyukjae asks.

“The tower has confirmed our flight and we’re clear to take off in 30 minutes. Would there be anything else, sir?”

“No, thank you.” Hyukjae says, and Secretary Park bows before disappearing to the room in the front part of the plane that seems to be the cockpit. Hyukjae turns back to her, smirking as he assesses her face. “This looks all too familiar to me.” he says.

“What?”

“Pale faced after looking at Secretary Park,” Hyukjae looks pointedly at her, grinning. “Am I staring at a scaredy cat again?”

Nana is caught off-guard. This is indeed familiar for them. “What- I’m not a scaredy cat!”

“Sure, sure.” Hyukjae laughs mockingly, wrapping an arm on her shoulders.

“I’m not scared of him. It’s just that he just- he looks-” She glares at him when he raises an eyebrow, daring her. “Oppa,”

“Let’s sit down first.”

“Oppa!” Nana squirms out of his arm, irritated.

“What, baby?”

“I’m not-”

But she’s cut off short with Hyukjae’s lips pressing gently on her upper lip. She immediately swallows everything she was going to say, clutching the front part of his shirt. She feels the butterflies erupting, creating havoc in her stomach. Her heart is beating too fast for her own health.

Hyukjae pulls away after lingering his lips on hers a little too long. “I know. Let’s sit down first.” He repeats gently.

And just like that the grin is back again on her face, her mood shooting up through the ceiling of the cabin. The color on her face is coming back in full force and she has to bite down on her lower lip so the grin wouldn’t split her face into two. She feels slightly light headed, she didn’t know she would love Hyukjae’s kisses this much.

Ah, she just loves the man himself. Period.

She sits on one of the seats on her right while Hyukjae takes the one across from her, directly facing her. He pops the champagne bottle open. “What do you want to do first when we arrived there?” he fills half of the glass for her before filling the other one for himself.

“What do you want to do?” she asks back.

“I want to spoil you like a baby.” He smiles, stating it as if it’s the most basic theory on earth. Her blush gets deeper.

“Meaning?”

“We can do anything you want to do. The decision is all yours.” He smiles softly.

“Wow,” She looks so pleased and amazed at the same time at his answer. “What if I want too much things?”

“I believe I can manage.” He says.

“Can I make a to-do list?”

“Sure.” He produces an iPad from his bag, opening the application to write notes for her. He  puts it in front of her and she takes it excitedly.

“I want to laze around on the beach.” She determines out loud as she types on the on-screen keyboard.

He smiles at her enthusiasm; she looks like a little girl looking at the front gate of Disney world. “We will.”

“I want to visit every ice cream parlor available there.” She continues.

“Oh you and your ice cream obsession,” he shakes his head in amusement.

“I want vanilla ice cream. Or maybe tiramisu.” She feels the need to explain this, giving him a pointed look.

“I get it,” he laughs, raising his hands as a sign of surrender. “I get it. We won’t be eating strawberry ice cream.”

“I want a picnic!” she exclaims suddenly.

“Okay.”

“I want to go snorkeling,” she thinks for a moment before adding, “I want to eat seafood.”

“Not too much,” Hyukjae says sternly.

She whines. “Oppa,”

“Nope. You’re going to look like a bloated fish if you eat too much seafood.”

Nana is taken aback a little that he still remembers her allergies. “But-”

“Nana.” Hyukjae looks at her. “Didn’t that Cho Kyuhyun tell you that?”

“Yes, he did, but-” Nana blinks in surprise. “Oppa,”

“What?”

“You mentioned Kyuhyun.”

“Yes, I just did. And don’t even try to distract me. I still won’t-” then it hits him in the head like a baseball bat. His eyes widen. “Uh, what?”

“How do you know Kyuhyun?” she pauses, “I’ve never mentioned him to you, have I?”

Hyukjae, feeling the sudden urge to bash his head on the hard wood table, racks his brain immediately. “I... he’s uh, he’s a doctor, an heir of his family’s hospitals, isn’t he?” he laughs nervously. “I just... I’ve heard about him a few times.”

Nana is easily convinced. Of course. Kyuhyun is, after all, a part of his circle. The socialites. The group of a bunch of heirs and heiresses that she knows has a meeting once or twice in a month; her brother attends it for her family, but she doesn’t. So Hyukjae must have met Kyuhyun in several occasions of the group and found out about him being friends with her.

But how would Hyukjae explain about Kyuhyun telling her that he had once met Hyukjae in the hospital a few years ago? And that Hyukjae told him he was her cousin? She doesn’t think it’s possible, but then-

“By the way,” Hyukjae clears his throat loudly in purpose to cut every thought in her head. It successfully works; Nana directs her full attention again at him. Hyukjae says quickly, “I’ve prepared a piano there. Would you want me to play it for you?”

It should have been a surprise for her, but he doesn’t see the harm of using it to save him from bomb-ticking moments like this.

“What,” she breathes. “A piano?”

“Yes.”

“But how- You- oh,” Nana is speechless. “Yes, yes I want you to play it for me.”

Hyukjae reaches for her hand on the table just as the guilt reaches his heart and grips it tight. Keeping secrets from her is suffocating, more than how he expected it to be.

Why is he backing away so suddenly? He had that bravery this morning.

“I will.” He runs his thumb over the back of her hand, more to soothe himself.

“I missed it. I missed you playing piano for me. Thank you.”

He leans over the table and tilts his head to press a kiss on her temple. “Anything for you, baby girl.”