NINE

The One That Got Away

 

Third Person's POV

 

“Damn it.” Hyukjae curses under his breath, the call is disconnecting itself. Again.

He paces back and forth in his room, his fingers drumming impatiently as he rests his hand on his waist. The line he’s trying to reach isn’t quite cooperative; it’s been busy all day. Of course, he had emailed Daeyoung about him losing his phone in Kangsan Building. He knows Daeyoung can be cursing him in all Heavens for his foolishness but still; he chose to tell him. He chose to call him. He couldn’t careless about his reaction.

His concern is much too absorbed to Nayoung. To the way she would react if she ever finds his phone and figures out it belongs to him.

Oh, he would be doomed.

The day she finds out about it, he would be doomed.

If Nayoung finds out about it herself, she could misunderstand every single thing. And he would undeniably be the biggest jerk ever – at least in her eyes. But that’s the only thing matters for him.

“Oppa,” chirped a familiar voice.

Hyukjae perks up at the giggle. He follows his reflex and turns around in a swift motion. But no one.

No one is standing there to give him that beautiful smile. No one is standing there to run to him and circle her arm around his. No giggles. No chatters.

Instantly his forehead forms several beads of cold-sweat. Damn, he’s getting crazy.

“Oppa,” she calls out again, now a bit louder.

Hyukjae gives up. He disconnects the call and gives a tight grip onto the black house phone. He closes his eyes shut, finally letting the memory to take him into an unfathomable mental breakdown.

And behind his closed eyes, there she was, sitting on the stool in front of the white grand piano. He found themselves in the musical room in her school. Seven years ago.

But all that matters in this memory is that she was there, right beside him.

 

“Oppa,” she beams contentedly. “Play another piece for me? You played it perfectly!”

Hyukjae could feel his cheeks heating up for several gradation of red. “No, I think I missed a tune earlier.”

“Nooo, you didn’t! It was so perfect!” she pouted, her adorable cheeks puffed out and her pink, full lips pursed.

Hyukjae couldn’t contain his smile, she looked like an adorable porcelain doll and her charms were madly spreading around him to drown him in. He pinched her cheeks, “Nana-yah, I need to practice more. That was awful, I really did miss a tune.”

“Are you saying I’m a tune-deaf?” she faked a gasp.

He grinned, teasing her is always his fun. “Sort of?”

“Yah!” Nayoung made a harsh yet light contact between her palm and his arm. “I can decide whether someone missed a tune or not! You definitely didn’t, and I’m not a tune-deaf.”

Hyukjae laughed, amused. He started hitting several random notes on the piano to once more loosen up a little. “Alright, alright, Ms. Expert. But this is the last for today, okay? Why do you like this song so much, anyway?”

“Because it’s played by you.” She looked at the paper of notes before her, missing the sight of her madly-blushing boyfriend. She needed to hide her burning face from him, too. “Hyukjae Oppa,”

“Hm?”

 “I think this song will be my favorite for ages- no. Maybe forever. I thank whoever had written this song.”

“Why?” Hyukjae asked the obvious, staring down at her.

Smiling, she linked her arm with his and rested her head on his shoulder. “Because it’s too beautiful. The day you first played this song made me realize how lovely it is. How this song can keep us connected. I just... love it.”

 

Hyukjae’s hold on the house phone gets a bit ruthless. Nayoung was referring to the day he confessed to her. To the day he could finally claim her as his.

He knew this, he just didn’t really know Nayoung liked the song this bad.

Even there had to be Cho Kyuhyun, who was humming to that song for her. He knows he's being egotistic, he's being his possesive self again. And this fact makes everything difficult for Hyukjae.

Pulling himself out of the train of thoughts, Hyukjae types in the digits on the wireless house phone. And finally, finally, someone’s picking up his call after a few rings.

“Mm, hey.” A voice greets him in English. It was husky and sounding a little bit sleepy. "Good morning, sunshine." 

Usually Hyukjae would roll his eyes and immediately hang up the call if he got that reply. That was so ungentleman-like, he always thought. But now is different. He needs this person. Even though he would make it short, he needs this person.

However, he can’t hold back a scorn. “I’m not expecting my cousin to be anticipating a booty call from me.”

“Hyukjae?!” the person at the other end of the line is quickly alarmed. “What the hell-?” he pauses, probably to do a second check to the caller ID. “Whose number are you using?”

“Not important. Now Lee Donghae, listen to me,”

“What?” Donghae is scowling through his tone. Hyukjae can tell his cousin is having a hangover from whatever the drink he gulped last night, and his call to him isn’t helping at all.

He tries making it short. And stern. “Don’t ever make a call to my number until I allow you to do so, got it? If you want to, you can dial this number.”

“And why do I want to call you?” Donghae yawns, still not realizing the grave tone Hyukjae was using.

“Just don’t! This is urgent!” Hyukjae yells in frustration.

“Alright! Man, you don’t need to scream. It’s eleven in the morning here.” He retorts. “What happened, seriously?”

Hyukjae sighs, pinching on his nose bridge with a little force.

“What happened?” Donghae repeats.

“I lost my phone. In Kangsan’s meeting room.”

Donghae pauses, not quite catching what Hyukjae is trying to say. He left his phone in Kangsan’s meeting room and not in LJS’s branch in America, so why did Hyukjae call him?

“Well I think you should just call Daeyoung?” Donghae states as if he was talking to an idiot.

Hyukjae abruptly halts his pace in fume and grits his teeth, trying his hard not to burst at him. Everything makes him sensitive and Donghae is just being his slow self when he wakes up. “Just... don’t make a call to that number, okay?” He says irritably, not having the intention to keep the call any longer.

“No, wait. Something happened.” Donghae pulls out a conclusion at Hyukjae’s tone, and gasps. “Yah, you didn’t meet her, right?”

Hyukjae palms his forehead, finally Donghae catches up. “I... did.”

“What?!” Donghae cries. “She was at the meeting this morning? Where’s Daeyoung?”

“...Paris.” He says.

“Paris?! Then how’s your... how did it... Aish! Isn’t this too fast? You’ve planned to meet her in the next two months!” Donghae exclaims, his sleepiness seems to have completely vanished away.

A bitter chuckle rolls off his throat, “Just my luck, I had to face her sooner than I thought.”

He won’t blame it on Daeyoung anymore; it’s his fault and he needs to be responsible of it. Maybe it's just his fate to deserve something like this. Accepting the reality wouldn't be that hurt, right? Well, he hopes so.

“Oh cousin,” Donghae comments in a shoulder-patting tone. “How’s her expression when she sees you?”

Hyukjae sighs. “What do you expect? I hadn’t prepared anything to meet her.”

“...So?” the pressure in Donghae’s tone makes his throat tighten.

“I-I don’t know. I was acting like a normal business partner.”

“WHAT?!” Donghae screeches, not realizing how he needs to stop using that high-pitched tone before his dear cousin goes deaf. “Dude! You messed up!”

Hyukjae groans. Messed up? Yes he did. But Lee Donghae doesn’t have to rub it on his face.

“Where are you?” Donghae asks when he doesn’t reply.

Hyukjae feels the question totally retarded. He was meeting her, so where else could he be? But anyway he answers, “Seoul. And you are?”

“Los Angeles.” He says.

Well that explains why he’s having a hangover every night... Not that it takes part of Hyukjae’s care now. His head is too stuffed with many things to think over.

“I’ll help you out.” Donghae blurts out of the blue.

“What? No.” Hyukjae rejects directly.

Getting a help means ruining his whole life. Daeyoung alone is enough for the destruction; he doesn’t need another best buddy to help him out. Kang Daeyoung and Lee Donghae are basically the same, why risking his life to the two?

“She’s had... someone now.”

“That Cho Kyunghoon guy?” Donghae shoots.

“Kyuhyun.” He corrects.

“Whatever.” He mutters. “At least they aren’t together.”

Hyukjae winces. That should have convinced him. Nevertheless, it didn’t. Not when a picture of Nayoung in Kyuhyun’s arms keeps flashing through his mind.

He doesn’t find it safe to say that ‘they aren’t together’ anymore.

“That’s what Daeyoung said.” Hyukjae massages his temple. “But the reality? We never know it.”

Hyukjae can hear Donghae snapping his fingers. “That’s why we need to find out about it! It’s settled, I’m helping you out.” And that dude is being thick-headed again.

He groans, “No, you don’t understand. I already kn-”

“I get it, I get it. See you in Seoul~” Donghae sang.

“What? No no no! For the love of God, Lee Donghae, you’re not going here! You-”

Click! Donghae disconnects the phone.

“...Donghae? Hello? Yah! Lee Donghae!”

And Hyukjae is cursing again for the umpteenth time today.

 

 

 

 

 

Hey aaalll :D

Heehee, confused to see me updating this fast?

So I came into realization that as an author, I don't really update my story as often as the other authors do. And I feel bad. And I want to make it up. And I updated. *Yeay!*

Sooo, meet Lee Donghae! Kekeke, who's happy to see him here?

And yeah! Eunhae! *Another yeay!* 

I'm not really shipping them in 'that' way, but I ship their friendship, like, sooo much! And I think, why don't I make the two Lee's as cousins here? They will make the cutest cousins ever ^^

Anywaaay do you feel like the drama is coming? Whoops, I'm teasing again. So stay tuned!

Okay sorry for blabbering again. Oh! And tell me about the new poster. Do you like it? Heehee. 

 

comment and subscribe guys~~~