ELEVEN

The One That Got Away

 

Nayoung’s POV

“I’m really sorry!” Donghae whines loudly on the phone. His voice sounds shrilly and I have to remind myself again that I am now talking with a 26 year old Lee Donghae. I tap my fingers on the table impatiently and sigh, making it noticeable for him that I’m too bored to wait for another minute.

I generally don’t like waiting and he’s making me wait for, how long is it, 10 minutes? Not to mention I got here with butler Jeon. Just when I was about to walk out the lobby Donghae told me something came up and he couldn’t pick me up.

“Tokkiiiii I’m sorry! Oppa will make it up to you, okay? Please please please just wait!”

Silly. I let out a quiet smile. How I could actually hold on through those years without this dorky boy is something quite miraculous. He was like one of the elements that give colors in my life.

The start of yesterday’s conversation was anything but loosened up. It was very awkward, he kept stumbling on his topics. He would unintentionally blurt out some things about Hyukjae and I would end up getting defensive and closing off the topic. But eventually, he drew back that comfortable feeling. The feeling that I could get whenever he was around.

“Aish! I didn’t know Seoul’s traffics would be this jammed! You should go to LA, the cars there aren’t lining up and honking like crazy.” He roars in frustration.

“You can use the navigators to track down the short cuts if you don’t want to be packed on roads.” I laugh slightly, hearing Lee Donghae flaring up is something amusing, indeed. “Alright, just drive here safely.”

Donghae sighs. “You can order your food first. Oh, I recommend you the Spaghetti Carbonara and Lemon Squash. Chocolate Volcano for the dessert is nice, too. They’re the best ones there.”

“Yeah. But Donghae-ah, you know I hate-”

“You hate waiting so much. Yes. I know it. I’ll get there soon, rabbit.”  He says, and before hanging up, he clearly snorts, “Whiney.”

“Yah, I can hear that!” I shout just when the call is disconnected. I grumble and toss my phone into my purse, why does that fish love it so much when he hangs up on people? That’s probably one of the habits that would never, ever change in his life.

I sigh, it’s getting boring again. I’ve never been really good in keeping my patience to wait for people. Sure, the restaurant is enormous and fancy but it’s very quiet here. I look around and spot no one at the restaurant. Literally no one. Not even a waitress. There were some of them earlier, but it was when they had to greet me when I showed up at the double-doors. Weird. Is Donghae reserving this restaurant or something?

A vibration in my purse interrupts my thought. I rummage through it. Maybe it’s Donghae again, calling and blabbering about how boring it is to be trapped in bunch of cars in the roads of Seo-

Wait.

My eyes are rounded right away, finding out that apparently the vibration isn’t from my phone. It’s from the metallic one; the mysterious one. I pull it out with a frown and almost immediately, my heart stops.

I blink once. And twice. The caller ID keeps flickering in the screen.

Kang Daeyoung is calling...

A hard lump is forming in my throat. I gulp at the sight of my own brother’s name. Why is Daeyoung calling to this mysterious number?

Curiosity crawls in me. I blink my eyes once again, my thumb hovering over the green button in uncertainty. And it’s even shaking out of nervousness. Pushing over the weird feeling I punch the answer button. To my surprise, it doesn’t need password to take the call.

 

Third Person’s POV

“Secretary Jung, I’ll be out for lunch.” Hyukjae says as he walks pass his secretary’s desk in front of his office.

“Yes, President.” His secretary nods tearing her gaze off the monitor. “Oh, President Lee Donghae called in just now, he told me to remind you about the lunch.”

Hyukjae rolls his eyes; he never thought Donghae would be that eager to have a lunch with him. Or maybe that cousin of his was just trying to flirt with Secretary Jung? That’s embarrassing but well, that would make sense. Sometimes Donghae simply can never learn his lesson.

With a slight nod he heads to the basement parking lot. But just when he is about to unlock his car, his phone vibrates shortly for the millionth time today. Hyukjae sighs, already knowing who sends him the text message.

It appears that he had bought a new phone and told Donghae his new number, and right after, Donghae bombarded him with text messages. Donghae suddenly forced him to have a lunch with him, which is rare, saying that there would be something important to talk about. And that he missed him. Ew, Hyukjae shivers at that sentence.

He pulls his phone out of the pocket inside his suit. A message pops out. He sees the sender and rolls his eyes. Not surprising.

 

From: Lee Donghae

Hyukjae~ Where are you now?

 

Hyukjae clicks his tongue and opens the door, sitting on the driver’s seat and typing in a reply for the impatient Donghae.

 

From: Lee Hyukjae

On my way. Geez can you please be more patient and stop calling to my secretary? That’s embarrassing.

 

Hyukjae puts his phone on the dashboard and inserts the key to ignite the machine. However, the vibration of his phone prevents him from doing any other thing. He groans slightly and opens another message.

 

From: Lee Donghae

Wow, someone hates chilly scandals at office~ But really, Hyukjae. I don’t mind dating Secretary Geum. And hurry up, come here! I’m already at the Italian restaurant now.

 

“Stupid player.” Hyukjae scoffs.

 

From: Lee Hyukjae

I don’t really appreciate flirty acts at office, but whatever. And just for your information, it’s Secretary Jung.

 

In a split second another message is sent to his phone. God, Donghae types in text messages with the speed of a lightning.

 

From: Lee Donghae

Oh right, I mean that. Anyway hurry up! Someone’s being impatient here!

 

Whoa, Donghae is really... keen to see him.

 

From: Lee Hyukjae

Then stop texting me messages! I’m moving nowhere in the parking lot now

 

From: Lee Donghae

Okay just hurry up

 

Hyukjae throws his phone to the passenger’s seat beside him and starts the machine, pulling his car out of the parking lot. As he drives his way to the unfamiliar restaurant, his mind wanders around. He doesn’t know why but he suddenly had this bad feeling. He doesn’t know. Donghae’s creepy grin suddenly comes into his mind, almost distracting him from taking a left turn.

Hyukjae heaves out a sigh. Donghae’s words keep barging in his mind. It’s settled, I’m helping you out.

He can’t help but shivers. Donghae is a very determined person. Once he makes up his mind about something, he wouldn’t acknowledge the word ‘stop’ or even ‘think-before-executing’. And it’s even scarier because Donghae had muttered his determination on the phone a few days ago. It’s settled, he said.

 

Nayoung’s POV

“Yah! Why didn’t you answer my messages?!” a shout from a guy across the line greets my ear. Not some random guy. He is my brother. “I was freaking busy and jammed and anxious here but you didn’t even give a damn of my messages. Dude, I’m worrying my sister to death here.” However, the end of his sentence is softened.

My heart picks up its rate. Somehow I feel my breath becoming uneven and I find myself trying to inhale quietly. So Daeyoung was the one who sent those text messages to this phone every late night? I mean, he didn’t even answer any of my calls nor reply my text messages these past four days. I thought he was that busy but he actually had the time to send messages to this person he was trying to talk with.

Finally after quite awhile, I hear him sighing. “Didn’t it go well?”

My ears perk up. What didn’t go well?

He keeps talking. “How’s Nayoung?”

My heart skips a beat just at the mention of my name. 

I did text him a whole lot, didn’t I? And the content of the messages is enough for him to read my situation here. I told him Hyukjae was here. Even I had questioned him how the hell Hyukjae could sign contract with our corporation. And Daeyoung didn’t respond to any of my those. But now he’s calling someone else to ask my well-being? And who’s the owner of this phone again?

Something is obviously being hidden from me.

The seconds tick by and there are no words exchanged. I just keep waiting and keep myself silent because clearly, Daeyoung doesn’t want me to know any of this talk.

“Yah, answer me, I’m talking to you.” he finally hisses in annoyance.

I bite on my tongue. The minutes passing by only makes me grow anxious. Oppa, who are you trying to talk to? What are you trying to hide from me?

I can hear his breathing. It sounds grave and angry. For some reason I get a grip of the arm rest, I’m already trembling in anxiety here. The wooden arm rest feels cold under my now sweaty palm and-

“Damn it LEE HYUKJAE I’M TALKING TO YOU!”

His sudden outburst bangs me into a throb of shock. Strongly. My fist tremble hard at the clutch of the arm rest and the phone almost slides off my hand.

 

 

 

 

 

Drama staaarrttss kekeke who's excited here?

Anyway don't worry! I won't leave you cliffhanging! I'll update in a few hours ^^

Wait patiently and look forward for the next chapter.

By the way, merry christmas~~

^0^

Oh, sorry for forgetting to put the footnote in the previous chapter but here it is:

*)Tokki means, well, rabbit

*)And Harabeoji means grandfather