TWENTY EIGHT

The One That Got Away

 

I cross my legs, sitting by the end of my bed and reading a novel I am not actually interested with. I just want to distract myself, but then the pink box of white chocolate and wall-hanging clock keeps me away from the book. Oh, and my phone, too.

I can’t stop glancing at those three things. The box, the clock, and then the phone. It keeps going like a cycle ever since I read the card Hyukjae attached in the white chocolate box. Subconsciously pursing my lips, I slam the book closed to my nightstand.

“Keep your phone at hand, okay? I’ll call you... later.”

His voice replays again in my head, and that’s what has been swatting away the sleepiness from me. It initiates insomnia, keeping me wide awake and waiting.

Another glance at the clock and I sigh in disapproval – annoyance, maybe. It’s freaking eleven thirty now, almost midnight. I’m keeping my phone at hand, Lee Hyukjae. Glaring at it even. But why haven’t you called? When exactly is the ‘later’ you meant? I want to ask myself why I’m expecting the phone call so much, but the reason behind it is already too obvious to me.

I set a hard glare again to my phone, as if it would light up with some phone call, but it remains still. One second passes, and then two, and three... oh stop it, Kang Nayoung. Just sleep! But, but... what if when I’m asleep he calls?

My mental battle is interrupted with the sound of my phone vibrating on the nightstand, and before I know it, I’m jumping over the bed and reaching for it. It’s an incoming call, from an unregistered number. I put my hand over my chest, feeling my heart working extra hard to pump blood to my whole body. I clear my throat and press the phone to my ear.

“Hello,”

“Hey,” Hyukjae’s voice replies over the phone. In contrary from me, he is calm and composed.  “Did I wake you up?”

“No, you didn’t.” I answer sheepishly.

“Really?” he wonders. “Why weren’t you sleeping?”

Uh, waiting for your call maybe?

“Insomnia.” I shrug.

“You have insomnia?”

“Um, kind of.” I answer. It’s a particular insomnia. “You weren’t sleeping, too?”

“It appears not.” He laughs, as if I was confirming if one plus one equals four.

“Why?”

“I just had a drink with some business partners.”

I nod. That explains why he’s calling me this late. “You drink?”

“No, I just accompanied them.” he answers, amusement is clear in his tone. “Why? Do I sound like I’m drunk?”

“No.” I mutter, and gosh, I’m blushing at his boyish tone.

I hear his soft laugh from the other line, sounding carefree and trouble free. I can hardly remember the firm expression on his face when he picked up a call at my office earlier this morning. It’s like he is developing two personalities in one body. One is clipped and the other one is free.

“Are you home now?” I ask.

“No, not yet.” He says.

“Are you driving?”

“No.”

I raise my brows. “Where are you?”

A soft chuckle answers me instead, before Hyukjae speaks up. “Can you come to your balcony?”

I still. What? Balcony?

“Why?”

“So then you’ll know where I am.”

Oh, no way.

I shoot up from my bed, rushing my way to my floor-to-ceiling glass door. I slide the door open to the side and step out to the balcony. A soft, chilly night air immediately breezes, pushing my bangs off my forehead and hitting my face softly.

“Look down to the road.” He speaks gently. And so I do, only to be stunned at what I’m seeing.

My heart leaps up to my mouth, confined just behind my lips – but then I don’t know what’s hammering in my chest.

Hyukjae is standing on the street in front of my house, leaning his back on his white Audi SUV that he parked by the side of the road. He’s still fully dressed in his suit, one hand is tucked inside his pants pocket while the other one is holding his phone. He's watching me intently with an amused smile. When I blink at him, mouth practically dropping open – he grins, retrieving his hand out of his pocket and waves.

“W-what are you doing down there?” I stutter into the phone.

The effect of full moon above us is unbelievable on him. Eyes glimmering, the styled up hair shining... Or is he originally that gorgeous? I can’t really focus myself to recall.

“I’m... on a phone call?” He answers quizzically.

“No, I mean... oh gosh, why didn’t you come in?” I give him the last glance and turn back around to step into my room again and grab a sweater. “Wait a second, I’ll get down there and open the-”

“No.” He interrupts curtly. “Don’t.”

I stop just before I open the door to my room. “What?”

“Don’t come here. Don’t hang up the phone.” He tells me slowly.

“Why?”

“Just don’t.” He says. “Can you come to the balcony again?”

I crease my brows, completely bewildered. I pace back to the balcony and stare down at him, watching him as he smiles up at me.

“This is better.” He mumbles. “You at the balcony, talking with me through a phone call.”

“What?”

“Let’s just talk like this.”

I narrow my eyes a bit to see a clearer sight of his expression, hoping to read a piece of his mind. “I don’t understand.”

“This way,” he smiles. “I can see you and communicate with you at the same time.”

I blush different shades of red, hoping our distance is enough to cover it up. “And you can’t if I get down there and open the door for you?”

“If you open the door and let me in, I can only see you, but not communicate with you.”

I frown. “Why?”

“Because I know you wouldn’t talk if we’re directly face to face.” He explains, his eyes searching mine from afar. “Like when we were at the car, the park, your office... I realize my presence would probably suffocate you, Nana.”

I gasp softly, dark brown orbs tentatively staring up at mine. And the effect strikes me again; the effect he has on me. The effect that makes me feel like I’ll be so lost without him, that leaves me no choice but to stare back at him.

Hyukjae stares impassively, his form being beamed down at by the moonlight. “Do I suffocate you?” he asks, his voice harmless with the serene night air.

I bite down on my lower lip, still locking eyes with him. He’s right. Maybe this way I can talk more to him. I can see him but I can communicate with him, too; talking properly and not overwhelmed by any mixed feelings. When he’s right in front of me, I’d feel, what is it, suffocated? Does he suffocate me?

“I don’t know.” I shake my head slowly. I can see his brows twitch and he stills, probably not really expecting that answer. But then again, he wants me to talk, and presumably wants me to be honest.

“Nayoung-ah,” he calls softly. I know when he’s addressing me by my proper name, it means he’s being either gravely serious or nervous. “What do you feel right now?”

I grip onto the railing of the balcony, feeling the cold sensation from the polished metal under my palm. But my gaze at him is unwavering. I don’t know why.

“I feel at ease, and warm,” I can see the smile on his face as I speak. “But so cold and distant as well.”

His smile drops, slowly replaced by something unreadable.

“It’s like a jetlag to me.” I confess.

“A jetlag?” he inquires.

“A jetlag,” I repeat, and I realize it’s the first time after six years that I can stare straight into his eyes for more than five minutes. “I’m still trying to adapt myself with the whole situation. You know, for years, you were... you were away, not in my proximity. But then suddenly you’re there again and appearing so close to me... it’s a huge difference for me.”

He presses an encouraging smile for me to continue.

“And you confuse me.” I whisper.

Brown twinkling eyes stares up at me, slightly widening. “Do I?”

“I think you do.” I admit. “I... I never know what you’re intending to do. I never know which direction you’re taking. I never know how you exactly feel...” I close my eyes briefly, my voice getting hoarse. “You’ve been pushing and pulling too unexpectedly, Hyukjae.”

Your leave, your return, the break up, the apology... It confuses me so much. I bite my lips as I find hard time controlling my emotion.

Suddenly Hyukjae is tensed. He pushes his body off the car and steps closer to my house, watching me in alarm. “Oh no, Nana, please don’t cry.” He says hurriedly, soothingly.

But it’s too late. I turn away when a drop of tear betrays me. I end the phone call and put my face in my hands, sobbing into my palm while I hear the faint, repeated sound of doorbell. Seconds later, I hear hurried footsteps at the stairs and someone barges into my room, then I find myself being engulfed in a hug. A tight, calming hug.

“Sssh, it’s okay. It’s okay.” Hyukjae whispers in my ear, rubbing my back in attempt to calm me down. And it magically works. He pulls me down to him, so we’re sitting at my balcony, with his arms securely locked around me.

I sit there in silence as he repeatedly tells me soothing words. I’m crying, but I don’t feel numb anymore. I feel completed. Just like how I did when we were in the exact same position at the park.

“Oh Nana,” Hyukjae whispers, swaying me from side to side in his arms. “What have I done to you?” he tightens his embrace once more.

I remain silent, completely drowned in his warmth. I’m so tired... but happy. So lost, but contented and warm. I breathe his scent as my sobs subside.

“I missed this.” He cooes, his voice soft and sweet like a cotton candy. I can feel his gaze on the top of my head as I rest it on his chest. My hands still gripping the phone. “I missed being like this, you know that? You in my embrace. It’s like those moments again, where you were the moon and I was the sun.”

“No,” I shake my head, responding to his words. I look up and he is stunned, turning pale slightly. “It’s not fair.

“Why?” his eyes softly penetrates mine.

The moon has to depend on the sun while the sun is fully independent. The moon needs the sun so it can shine, so it can beam... But the sun doesn’t need the moon to shine. It still can shine even when the moon is gone. But when the sun is gone, the moon is left with an eclipse, being dark and dead.”

Can't you see? It resembles us way too much.

Hyukjae’s eyes widen for a second, then soften as he smiles. “The sun may look strong and bright, Nana. But it can’t shine down at one side of earth when it comes to night. It still has to set.” Brown eyes searching for mine, his breathing caresses the night. “The sun, he really needs his moon.”

And we’re there, sitting at the balcony in front of my room, staring at each other while trying to comprehend what’s in our heads. Only the silence accompanies us.

I almost flinch when he my cheek with his knuckles and the pad of his thumb. Hyukjae notices it, his face looks a bit hurt. But he quickly brushes it off with a smile.

“The sun wants the moon to know that he needs her so badly. That he is willing to take everything, if the moon wants, with a slow motion.” He continues.

My heart melts. My insides melt – I think my whole body just melts under his gaze, under his words, his smile, his spell... No matter how far, how long he’s gone, he’s still the sun. My sun.

“What have you done to me?” I whisper distractedly, and gazing, as if the answer is clearly written in his eyes.

“I should’ve been the one asked that to you.” He whispers back.

Finally a smile creeps up my lips, giving nothing but contentment. This is where I can feel completed. In the sun’s embrace, under his gaze.

“Hyukjae... Oppa,” I call, it feels weird in my lips after so long I didn’t use it. And his eyes glow expectantly.

“Hm?”

“Can they really do it? The moon and the sun.”

“What?”

I swallow and blush. “The slow motion thing... can they really do it?”

The corners of his lips are then pulled into a wide smile and it gracefully touches his eyes. “Are you asking for my opinion?” he asks. I nod.

With one slow, slow motion, he’s leaning down to me and I feel a pair of warm, soft lips pressing on my forehead. Causing me to lose the ability to breathe regularly. It feels like my entire body just stops sensing and functioning. I can feel his smile on my forehead. His signature smile. He pulls away after a moment.

“They can do it.” He whispers. “They should do it. They have to do it. Honestly, I'm biased to the sun, Nana. I'm just quoting his opinion,  I'm stating what he feels. Because he needs his moon.” He gazes down at me, tucking the strands of hair that gets to my face to the back of my ear. “Now the sun wants to know... Would you give it a chance, moon?”

 

 

 

Late update, I'm sorry! College is seriously swallowing me up >_<

This chapter. Long? Cheesy? Hahah. I'm getting too infected with one particular novel, I guess. Anyway hope you like it. Enjoy ^^