FOURTEEN

The One That Got Away

 

Third Person's POV

 

Kyuhyun walks into his car and pulls it out of the enormous house yard. It’s late, the road isn’t packed at all. In fact, there are only several cars passing by his. He steps on the brake when the traffic light turns red.

 

“He’s not a jerk, Kyuhyun-ah.”

 

Her words ring again in his head, as if to break his remarks about that Lee Hyukjae.

 

“He was nothing but very kind to her.”

“Believe me or not, he treasured her just like you do. Do you think she would be broken this long without any good reason?”

 

He closes his eyes and grips onto the steering wheel tightly. The insecurities inside him grow even more.

Maybe she’s right. Why would Nayoung be that broken if the guy who left her was anything but a jerk?

 

“Wh-what am I going to do, Kyu?”

 

Suddenly Nayoung’s sobs disrupts his thoughts.

 

“I... saw him.”

 

Kyuhyun’s breath becomes heavy. Just great. The good guy is now coming back. That Lee Hyukjae is coming back when Nayoung is clearly not over him. Kyuhyun sighs. When would his chance come? How much longer should he wait? It looks really hard for her to just move on. Even it took him 2 years to change her to be an extrovert again.

The 18 year old Kang Nayoung whom he first met was exactly the same as she is now. Introverted, quiet, and expressionless.

He remembers those years. He remembers the day he first saw her. He remembers their first encounter. Clearly.

 

It was spring in the beginning of April. The temperature was nice and warm. The leaves were turning into beautiful colors and flowers were blossoming wonderfully. It felt really good to just walk around the park, just by himself. Kyuhyun wasn’t in the mood to go to ‘The Cherry Blossom Festival’ at his school, the girls were always annoying to him. Even if he had plugged his headset deep into his ears and set the maximal volume, their ear-piercing screams would still be able to find their ways to echo in his head. What did they scream? Well just two words: ‘Kyuhyun Oppa’. Simple, but that was ultimately annoying. The boys were not far from irritating either. They kept trying to pull him to night clubs and trap him into stupid, immature bets.

Kyuhyun clicked his tongue. For God’s sake, his time was too priceless for that. He had his bright future ahead. Loads of hospitals were already offering him jobs, despite of the fact that he had to handle his family’s own hospital. And it was still his first year of college now.

Kyuhyun closes his eyes to take a deep breath of the blossoming flowers. It wasn’t the time to worry those matters now, they could wait. Now he just had to relax himself and smile at the calmness of the park. The fragrance of flowers was really sweet and calming. It was-

BAM!

He bumped into someone – or it’s that someone that was bumping into him? Either way, he opened his eyes only to find a girl landing flat on her .

“Hey, are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked as he bent his knees to help her stand up. He didn’t bother apologizing. Clearly it wasn’t his fault because he was just standing still there. It was her fault for not looking at her way.

“I-I’m okay, sorry.” Her voice was a mere whisper. Her skin felt so soft under his palm, it was tingling and somehow sent series of electric shock down his spine. When she looked up at him, he felt his heart nearly stopped. He met her face to face, stunned when a beautiful pair of hazel eyes stared back at him. He trailed his eyes southward to her pointed nose, plumpy pink lips and her overall pale skin, and soon got himself into a trance of astonishment.

Too bad it happened just for a few milliseconds. Seemingly inattentive, she just bowed down, apologizing for several more times and walked past him. It was as if she had just bumped into a tree, not having the slightest interest to keep talking to a stranger. But Kyuhyun could feel the tiniest spark spiking up inside him.

‘What the hell?’ He raised his hand to his chest, feeling his heart beating uncontrollably. Still not recovered from his daydream, he scrutinized her face in his memory. Sure, she was captivatingly beautiful, but she was wearing a flat face. And it’s not that he didn’t take in her red nose, watery eyes, quivering lips and-

Suddenly the sound of a girl screaming and tires screeching against the asphalt reverberated in the air. He was pulled out of his trance.

Reflexively turning around, he was almost having a heart attack at the sight in front of him. A car accident. There was a car stopping mid-way and a girl lying lifelessly on the road, right in front of the car. Her back was turned at his way. But her clothes, her hair, her skirt... Kyuhyun’s eyes almost bulged out.

Wasting no time he jogged towards her, kneeled beside her and picked her upper body onto his lap. Her head fell limply onto his arm, and that’s when Kyuhyun saw her face completely. Damn. It was her!

Kyuhyun shook her body lightly, suddenly he lost the ability to ask her whether she was still conscious or not. No response. He shook her body more violently. But instead of getting a response, he saw fresh red blood trickling down from the top of her head to the forehead. The people surrounding them were not helping at all, they kept panicking and asking whether that girl was alright when clearly, she wasn’t.

Reaching his phone out, he called his family’s hospital since it was the nearest one from the location, subconsciously yelling at the senior nurse to send an ambulance as soon as possible.

Soon, they reached the emergency unit and the paramedics asked him to wait outside. Kyuhyun paced back and forth in front of the double doors. They said they would have to perform a surgery since her head was profusely bleeding. So he waited. But the surgery itself seemed to take eternity to be finished, until something popped in his mind.

Kyuhyun fished a pink cellphone out of the matching-colored purse; they were hers. He should call her guardian to come there, after all. Unthinkingly, he pressed the first speed dial button. That was the first time he caught a glimpse of that name.

[Hyukjae Oppa]

Frowning, Kyuhyun pressed her phone to his ear, only to be turned down. The number wasn’t activated. He tried calling it a few more times, but it was futile. Eventually he tried to call the second line of her speed dial list. Now the contact name was ‘Daeyoung Oppa’. And this time, a guy answered his call. Kyuhyun informed him everything about the accident over the phone call, and in less than fifteen minutes, the guy was already showing up at the emergency unit.

Finally, after 4 hours or so of waiting, the surgery was done. The girl, whom he had learned named Kang Nayoung, was moved to the ICU room. The guy named Daeyoung claimed himself as her brother. But beside him, Kyuhyun noticed that there was no one else who visited her. No parents, no friends, no relatives – no one else.

Three days had passed after the surgery, but this Kang Nayoung girl was still unconscious. Kyuhyun had no idea as to why suddenly he cared and even became her frequent visitor since the very first day she was charged. Clearly he didn’t even know the other things about her beside of her name. Maybe it was the angelic figure that laid lifelessly on the hospital bed that had interested him. Despite of her blank face. Despite of the huge eyebag hanging under her eyes. She was still so graceful to watch.

“Why is she still unconscious?” Kyuhyun asked the surgeon, it was his fourth time of visiting her. The surgeon, who was none other than his uncle, flashed him an amused expression.

“Is she your girlfriend?” his uncle asked back.

Kyuhyun blushed. “She’s a stranger. I don’t even know her.”

“But you’re practically spending your twenty four hours beside her.” He shrugged. “And why are you blushing? Oh my God, it’s my first time to see my nephew blush. I thought all the things in your head were only about college, future, and-”

“Ahjussi,” Kyuhyun interrupted, trying to avoid the fact that his face was getting hotter and hotter. Again, he didn’t even know why. “Firstly, I still have classes to attend, so that makes it impossible for me to spend that much time here. And secondly, please. Will you answer my question or will you not?”

The older man laughed at his easily-irritated nephew. “Okay, okay. I’m just kidding.” he said. “Actually if she’s your girlfriend, I wanted to ask something to you. You know that people’s emotions can majorly affect their physical health, right?”

Kyuhyun nodded.

“Well, in this case, I’ve noticed that there might be some kind of burden in her mind.” He told Kyuhyun seriously. “According to her physical state now, she should have woken up since two days ago. Her body is stable enough to wake up. But she didn’t. It seemed like she was mentally against her consciousness.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “Do you mean... she restrains herself from waking up?”

“Seems like she’s trying to.” His uncle nodded. “Usually, emotions would be the cause of medical cases like this. It really depends on the will of the person themselves.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes trailed down to his lap, brainstorming. Was that why her brother had always come to visit her with hard, troubled face? Were they facing a problematic thing? Kyuhyun had been noticing about this but he kept silent. He didn’t want to be an intruder to someone’s personal life.

But wait. Why did he even care in the first place?

The next day, Kyuhyun drove straight to the hospital after his last class was dismissed. But this time he bought a bouquet of roses along with him. He felt her room was too empty and boring, so he chose to color it up with aromatic flowers. He smiled just at the thought of seeing the unconscious girl. Would she like it? Well, he knew she wasn’t even conscious but he knew that some people in coma were actually aware of their surroundings. He hoped this would cheer her up and lead her into waking up.

Kyuhyun walked out the elevator doors with the biggest grin on his face, passing by several giggling nurses as he walked to her room. The gossip of him becoming a frequent visitor of a girl had spread widely among the paramedics there. They were whispering here and there about the heir of the hospital falling in love with a coma patient, but he honestly didn’t really mind about that.

Kyuhyun turned the door knob without hesitating. Taking in a big amount of oxygen, he was about to step forward to her bed when he realized that she wasn’t alone. And the guy who sat beside her was absolutely not her brother. Kyuhyun just stood at the door, not knowing what to do as a deep voice hummed a song to her.

Kyuhyun watched them silently. The guy was holding her left hand, he ran his thumb gently over the back of her palm. He noticed his voice was shaky and croaked. When the song ended – heartbreakingly – he buried his face into her shoulder. Kyuhyun could hear him muttering ‘I’m sorry’ about a million times in between his light sobs as the girl remained motionless. Who was he?

Finally, Kyuhyun decided he had enough of the view. He cleared his throat announcing his presence. He saw the guy jumped a little before sitting up straight and turning around to face him. “Sorry, I’m just coming to...” Kyuhyun trailed off his tone, his eyes went big when he caught a clear glimpse of that guy.

There was the guy, standing beside her bed and looking weak. His face was soaked with tears and he had one big, swollen black eye and several purple bruises. Blood oozed from the corner of his lips but he didn’t care enough to wipe them off. Whoever had beaten him up, Kyuhyun was sure that someone must have been holding a huge grudge to this guy.

 

 

 

 

It's almost new year, yeayy! And I'm updating! And welcome to new readers, new subscribers, new commenters! 

Anyway, I'm giving Kyuhyun's flashback here. I decided to put his flashback instead of the others because this could be a little 'annonymous' and more of a third person's POV

Sooo who do you think is the guy there? The next chapter would be the continuation of Kyunnie's flashback. Maybe I'll make a double update so wait for it ;)