FIFTEEN

The One That Got Away

 

A/N: This is the continuation of the earlier flashback, I hope you don't get confused. Happy reading ^^

 

Third Person's POV

 

Kyuhyun is forced to leave his flashback when the sounds of cars honking from behind him repeatedly resonate into his ears. He looks up and realizes the traffic light has turned green. Hastily, he steps on the gas. But as he drives, his mind is back to trailing everywhere. Kyuhyun shakes his head attempting to concentrate to the road in front of him.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked, shocked with how badly injured the guy’s face was.

The guy looked at him intently, eyeing him from head to toe but not without an ethical manner. “I’m fine.” He answered politely.

Kyuhyun was too speechless to advance on him as the awkward silence filled the air. Until finally the guy spoke again.

“I’m sorry but... who are you?” he seemed to notice the bouquet in Kyuhyun’s hold. His expression visibly tensed up.

“Oh, I-I’m...” Kyuhyun contemplated.

Well, who was he to her? A stranger? But... but I have accompanied her for the past four days! He mentally protested at the word ‘stranger’.

“I’m her friend.” He finally said confidently. “And you are...?”

“I’m her boyf-” the guy stopped, as if he were just about to blurting out something wrong. But still, his clenching and unclenching fists didn’t go unnoticed by Kyuhyun. “I-I’m her cousin.”

 

“Wait.” Kyuhyun mutters as something hits him. He drives his car to the side of the road and stops there, his mind mulling over it. Suddenly that face becomes familiar to him. He knits his brows together. “Where did I see that guy? I think I’ve seen him somewhere else recent-”

 

“Which floor?” Kyuhyun remembers himself asking.

He was standing alone there in the elevator before a guy barged into it, almost getting squeezed between the elevator doors in the process. He seemed to be in hurry yet he had to catch his breath first, so Kyuhyun offered to push the floor button for him.

However, the panting guy suddenly stood up straight, abruptly, as if Kyuhyun’s voice were some sort of a ghost’s whisper. Kyuhyun raised his brows.

“Sorry, is there something wrong?” he asked, a bit flustered as the guy looked at him. Kyuhyun noticed an expression of terror plastered all over the guy’s face when he glued his eyes on him.

Blinking a few times, he quickly snaps out. “S-sixth floor, please.” His voice shaky and croaked.

 

“Right! Kangsan building! That’s why that guy looked quite familiar.” Kyuhyun slaps his palm onto his forehead in reflex. How could he forget it? He met her ‘cousin’ at the elevator inside Kangsan building just a few days ago.

But to think about it now, why does it feel weird? He tries recalling whether Nayoung had ever mentioned about her cousin, but he is sure she hadn’t even told him about having one yet. He just realized this when suddenly, the continuation of the flashback earlier rams into his head.

 

“Oh, uhm, annyeonghaseyo.” Kyuhyun nodded awkwardly at the straight-faced guy. Well how was he supposed to act in front of a guy whose face was practically in serious damage like that? They were at hospital, for goodness’ sake. Could he at least go to the emergency first to heal his injury or something?

“Annyeonghaseyo,” the guy nodded indifferently.

As the quietness started reining the air, Kyuhyun decided not to keep looking at his bruised face creepily and diverted his eyes to the angel on the bed. He observed her face. God, did she fall from the Heavens? She had never failed to take him in awe just by looking at her. How could a girl look so fragile yet so beautiful at the same time that he-

Kyuhyun let out an audible gasp as his eyes widened in shock. “S-she... h-her hand...!”

The guy followed the direction of Kyuhyun’s gaze to her. His eyes widened also, as he saw her fingers moving a little and her eyelids twitching. Kyuhyun noticed him letting out a big, relieved smile as the guy took a few steps towards her, only to come to an abrupt stop. A hard expression quickly replaced his smile. He bit on his lip causing more blood to gush out. But as her eyes were slowly, very slowly, fluttering open, the guy suddenly made up his mind and turned around.

“I have to go.” He said curtly as he walked out the door past the dumbfounded Kyuhyun.

“W-wait, she’s just regaining her consciousness now! Don’t you want to-”

The guy stopped in the middle of the hospital corridor, back turned to Kyuhyun. “I... I need to go. Just tell her that I...” he clenched his fists once again, his body shaking. “Nothing. Forget it.” With that, he continued to walk away.

“But-” Kyuhyun was interruped once again, but now with a weak voice. A soft groan coming from behind him froze him.

“O-Oppa,”

Kyuhyun turned around with wide eyes. He noticed the girl was already wide awake, looking at him intently. She narrowed her eyes a little to make her vision clear. After all, she’s been sleeping for 5 days that she had to fight the drowsiness coming from her heavy eyelids. Kyuhyun ran towards her.

“Oppa?” she called out again. Her voice sounded very sweet in his ears.

“A-are you looking for Daeyoung-sshi? Wait here, I-I’ll call him-” he offered hesitantly when suddenly she grabs his hand with her weak one.

“Oppa,” she stared at him longingly, her eyes were moist with heavy beads of tears. However, a faint smile was painted delightfully on her face.

Kyuhyun looked at her, flustered. Had she gotten amnesia? Why did she keep calling him ‘Oppa’?

“Uhh,” Kyuhyun started uneasily. “Do you... remember your name?” he carefully tested.

The girl, looking a bit confused, blinked, causing a drop of tear to roll down her rosy cheek. “I’m... Nana.”

Kyuhyun sighed. He was positive she had gotten amnesia. “Nana? Your name is Nayoung. Y-you’re Kang Nayoung.” He told her.

“But you call me Nana.” She persisted.

What? Kyuhyun blinked. When did I-

“Oppa,” she continued. “Can you hum for me again?”

Again?” Kyuhyun raised his brows further. When did he even hum for her?

“Yes. Please.” She pleaded.

Kyuhyun’s confusion was soon vanishing away when he looked at her eyes. They were so beautiful with the dark brown ring inside her lenses, yet looking so delicate and tired. Giving in, Kyuhyun started humming a random sweet song to her. He collected the courage to raise his hand and caress her forehead lightly, only for her to interrupt him once again.

“Oppa,” she sighed with closed eyes. “Not that song.”

“Huh?”

“I mean the one you hummed earlier. Hum it for me once again.”

He stared at her. Why was she so confusing? He was just humming one song to her.

“Uhh...” Kyuhyun scratches the back of his head. “Which song?”

Letting out a light sigh, she tugged her lips into a small smile as she slowly opened her eyes again. “The one you’ve always...” she stopped at the moment she made an eye-contact with him. Suddenly her eyes grew big, as if shocked to find him there.

She frantically rubbed her eyes before examining his face in fright. Then, to his surprise, she shrieked.

“W-who are you?” she blurted out. “Where am I? W-why are you here?”

Kyuhyun’s lips were parted agape in bewilderment. She had just called him ‘Oppa’ comfortably and now she was frightened with his presence there. What happened to this girl?

“W-where is Hyukjae Oppa?” her body began trembling violently. She pulled the comforter higher up to her neck as if it was protecting her from him.

Kyuhyun gulped. “Hey, Nana-”

“Don’t call me that!” she screamed, suddenly getting angry and trying to get up from her bed furiously. She backed away until her back hit the head board of the bed.

“Nana, don’t get-”

“I said don’t call me that!” she repeated. Her eyes showed him fear and sadness. “Who are you? Y-you’re... you’re not Hyukjae Oppa. Don’t call me Nana!”

Kyuhyun stopped his track towards her. He realized every step he took was scaring her off. The rosy color on her cheeks was quickly dying out and her face was almost as white as her comforter.

“Are you looking for... your cousin?” he asked softly. Ignoring his question, Nayoung did nothing but pulling her knees close to her chest and hugging them tightly as if her life depended on it. Suddenly she broke into tears until her face turned crimson red.

“I thought you were here...” she whispered as she buried her face into her knees, sobbing violently. Her voice was muffled. “Oppa... Hyukjae Oppa... where are you now? I... I need you.”

 

Kyuhyun recalls how she went through her days like a zombie. She barely ate and talked, her figure was so thin she could pass out anytime and everywhere. But he’s not going to let that happen anymore. He’s not going to let anyone hurt her. Maybe he should grasp for his chance and not keep waiting for her to be ready. He should make a move.

 

 

 

 

Short update >.<

But yepp guys, you guessed it right. The beaten up guy was Hyukjae. Poor him :(

Aigooo step by step everything is unfolding. Hyukjae's flashback would explain everything, I guess. Wait for it :)

Ohh and happy new yeaaarr yeaayy! And *again*, I want to say welcome and thank you to the new readers, subbies, and commenters. Heehee.

Don't forget to give me a feedback for this story, lovelies *wink wink* ;)